Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's gotten to this point already?

How to fix the Brooklyn Nets.

So the Brooklyn Nets have fired Avery Johnson as head coach. Now what? The "what" already appears to involve an attempt at courting Phil Jackson to take over Johnson's position, according to our Marc Stein and Chris Broussard. But does Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov seem like the type to be satisfied with just a coaching change?

It seemed to be a foregone conclusion that the Nets were stuck with their bloated roster despite handing Johnson his pink slip after a lukewarm 14-14 start; they have a league-high $330 million in future payroll over the next five seasons. Except the NBA transaction log is a graveyard of foregone conclusions.

Avery Johnson Fired

• Per Diem/Haberstroh: Next, Nets?
• 5-on-5: Deadline buyers or sellers?
• Sources: Nets eying Phil Jackson
• Pelton: Don't take the Nets job!
• Stephen A.: Is D-Will to blame?
• Arnovitz: The expectations game
• Howard: Phil, Prokhorov a match
• Rumor Central | ESPN New York

Don't believe me? Look back at the past six months alone.

Remember when it was a foregone conclusion that the Phoenix Suns would never ship Steve Nash to the rival Los Angeles Lakers?

Remember when it was a no-brainer that the New York Knicks would bring back Jeremy Lin at any cost?

Remember when it was assumed that the Lakers could never get Dwight Howard without first giving up Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol?

Brooklyn fans surely remember when The Joe Johnson Contract was untradeable, no? In other words, the NBA has taught us to expect the unexpected. So we should be careful about thinking the Nets roster is set in stone, especially after a billionaire owner guarantees a championship within three years and has gone on record as saying that future luxury tax payments are nothing more than a drop in the bucket.

It's worth reiterating that the Nets' assets won't be easy to move. They have the league's fifth-highest payroll this season and have more money locked up past 2014 than the Lakers, Knicks, San Antonio Spurs and Atlanta Hawks combined.

But if the Johnson trade taught us anything, it's that all contracts can be moved at the right price. (Right, Gilbert Arenas?)

So where do the Nets go from here? They have a few options they can explore in the wake of Johnson's dismissal.

The assets

Though Deron Williams and Johnson aren't playing anywhere near the caliber of ball expected of their max contracts, the Nets do have a young player at a shallow position playing like an All-Star, Brook Lopez.

Hollinger's Playoff Odds

Which teams do the odds favor? Check our projections daily. Playoff Odds »

Lopez may have scared away suitors this offseason because of his recurring foot problems and a rebounding rate that made Andrea Bargnani look like Dennis Rodman, but it's hard to imagine Lopez's stock being any higher than right now. He's averaging 17.5 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.4 blocks while shooting 50.2 percent from the floor and posting a career-high 23.2 player efficiency rating. The 24-year-old 7-footer has his defensive issues, but teams have historically coveted that level of offensive production at center.

Sure, an average annual $15 million salary seems steep for Lopez, but if he hits the trade market now, he'll almost certainly find more takers than he did this summer.

But that's not the only trade asset that the Nets can offer. Kris Humphries, a double-double machine just a season ago who signed a two-year, $24 million contract in the offseason, is the type of productive player with a high price tag and short deal length that always seems to be in midseason trade packages (see Stephen Jackson, Emeka Okafor, Kevin Martin, etc.). No, Humphries won't be netting Kyrie Irving in a deal, but a player who has averaged a double-double over the past three seasons should garner some interest.

Andray Blatche has proved to be one of the biggest bargains in the game at a veteran's minimum deal. And while Mirza Teletovic struggled to crack Johnson's rotation because of his iffy defense, it was only a couple of months ago when several teams were in the hunt to lure the Bosnian scorer stateside.

There's value on the Nets roster -- just not on the side of the ball that they need.

The trade route

Here's a look at a few deals that make sense in Brooklyn:

Deal for DeMarcus Cousins:

Cousins
Sacramento has shown no indication that it would like to deal its disgruntled big man, but how much longer must the ultra-talented 22-year-old big man stay in the organization's doghouse before the situation becomes untenable for all involved? The Kings are going nowhere fast, and the Nets would be crazy not to at least call for Cousins' services. The framework of a deal might require a third team, but a starting point could be sending Lopez, Blatche and a future pick for Cousins, Chuck Hayes and Francisco Garcia.

Such a deal would give the Nets the defensive stud they desperately need in Hayes and a potential star in Cousins who could fit Prokhorov's high-risk, high-reward nature perfectly. And if the Zen Master winds up in Brooklyn, what better coach to unlock Cousins' potential?

Deal for Anderson Varejao:

Varejao
Given that the Nets currently rank in the bottom third of the league in both defensive efficiency and defensive rebounding rate, they won't sniff the top four in the East unless they drastically improve the frontcourt on that end of the floor. So it makes a ton of sense for the Nets and the Cavs to initiate talks centering on Varejao.

But will the Nets have enough? The Cavaliers should be willing to listen if Lopez is dangled as part of the package. The Cavaliers are said to be asking for the moon in return for Varejao, and they've been looking for a young big man to pair with Irving; Tristan Thompson hasn't taken the leap that many were hoping for this season.

A Lopez-for-Varejao swap can work only if Luke Walton and his $6.1 million contract are thrown into the deal; it might take an additional team to bring enough young assets to build a package worthwhile for the Cavs. It all depends on the Cavaliers' appraisal of Lopez's game and their appetite for rolling the dice in the draft yet again. Young centers who can produce the way Lopez can don't come around very often. In the past five seasons, only two players have averaged 17 points, seven rebounds and two blocks in a season before their 25th birthday: Dwight Howard and Lopez.

Deal for Utah's big men:

Millsap

Jefferson

Favors
The Nets could use a defensive-minded big man to anchor their defense in the worst way and former Nets draft pick Derrick Favors would fit the bill. Ironic, no? The Jazz might have the most attractive set of assets for the Nets, but it's hard to imagine that bridge will be crossed again so soon.

However, these two teams are both off to disappointing starts and find themselves sitting at .500 entering January. Neither team wants to be caught spinning away in the hamster wheel of NBA purgatory -- not good enough to make noise in the playoffs, but not bad enough to have any pingpong balls in the draft lottery.

The Jazz may not even be interested in acquiring Lopez, who could be just a younger version of what they already have in Al Jefferson, a one-way center with little capacity on the defensive end of the floor. Then again, they might lose unrestricted free agents Jefferson and Paul Millsap to free agency at the end of the season. It's highly unlikely they'll be partners by the deadline, but it's too juicy not to mention.

Other intriguing partners: Phoenix Suns (Goran Dragic, Marcin Gortat), Denver Nuggets (Danilo Gallinari, JaVale McGee), Portland Trail Blazers (LaMarcus Aldridge, Wesley Matthews).

The stand-pat plan

The Nets' best move might be to make no move at all.

Williams and Johnson are off to atrocious starts in the shooting category, though it's hard to shrug them off as slumps. Williams hasn't posted a true shooting percentage this low (51.6 percent) since his rookie season, but this may be the new status quo for him after right wrist issues required surgery 20 months ago. His field goal percentage this season? 39.8 percent. His field goal percentage since joining the Nets in 2010-11? 39.8 percent.

To solve their shooting woes, the Nets may want to look at their neighbors in Manhattan. After a disappointing start under Mike D'Antoni last season, the Knicks promoted Mike Woodson, who led them to the playoffs last season and to the No. 2 spot in the East standings so far this season.

Is interim coach P.J. Carlesimo ripe for a similar ascension? A Reggie Evans 3-pointer may be more likely. Carlesimo has won 27.4 percent of his games in his last four seasons as a head coach. That's equivalent to 22 wins over an 82-game season. Woodson had at least made the playoffs as a head coach in the new millennium before taking over in New York.

Blow it up

This seems like the biggest long shot of all, but making a big splash in free agency to open a state-of-the-art venue, then cleaning house isn't unprecedented in sports (right, Miami Marlins?). But we have no absolutely no reason to believe that Prokhorov has any desire to start from scratch as a money-grabbing maneuver, despite Williams' and Johnson's best efforts to warrant such a move. It's a foregone conclusion that Prokhorov will do everything in his power to build a team to win in the short term, but when has a foregone conclusion ever steered us wrong?

Oh, right.

Clippers can't beat the Thunder in a 7 game series though, let's be real here.
I'm a big fan of their team, chris paul is the best PG, their bench is deep and they play great D but they do not match up well with the Thunder at all.

Clippers have a real shot this year to make it deep. Maybe even the finals.

OKC has not gotten better, I hope people realize that.
I agree. I have to believe something is in the works in terms of a change right now. We are severly lacking in depth. KD for example played 49 minutes last night out of 53. Our depth sucks too, especially everyone who is a holdover from last yr's bench mob. Turns out they only looked good because James made them look so. The Clippers are FAR deeper. Worst teams in the NBA are deeper, just not as top heavy. Speaking of which, Elias Sports Bureau on last night's game
From Elias: “Kevin Durant, Serge Ibaka and Russell Westbrook dominated their areas of expertise in the boxscore of the Thunder’s 111-105 overtime victory over the Mavericks. Durant had 40 points, Ibaka collected 17 rebounds and Westbrook contributed 10 assists; no teammate had more than half as many points, rebounds or assists, respectively. It marked only the second game in NBA history – and the first resulting in a victory – in which three different players reached those statistical levels – that is, one scored 40-or-more points, a second had 17-or-more rebounds, and a third had 10-or-more assists – while no teammate contributed more than half as many points, rebounds or assists. On Dec. 4, 2004, the Knicks, then coached by Lenny Wilkens, dropped a 107-101 decision to the Bobcats (then a first-year expansion team) in Charlotte; Jamal Crawford scored 41 points, Nazr Mohammed had 17 rebounds and Stephon Marbury had 11 assists, but no other Knicks player had half as many in any of those categories.”

You saw how Miami defends us though, just double team Russ/KD aggressively up top and force the ball down to Perkins to make a play and just let Perk and Serge **** up trying ot make "basketball plays." This bum *** ***** threw a PASS off the front of the rim for a turnover twice. He was 0 for 6 last night by the way and pouted like a ***** on a play when he went up for a rebound and Serge skied over him and grabbed it. He's so holding this team back, or Brooks insistance on playing him so damn much although props for FINALLY going small last night with the KD/Serge 4-5 combo. Why he won't do it against Miami though where it makes more sense, don't know.

But right now, I think the Clippers could take us out in a series. It'd go 7 probably either way, but some of our weaknesses (turnovers, bad shots) play right into their strength of getting into the open floor. At the same time, we have shown the ability to slow down Cp3 before both with WB and Thabo has gotten in his *** before too. Shut Blake down before too simply by prerotating pick and rolls

Here's an ESPN Insider article on just this topic (OKC vs LAC) by the way

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/PerDiem-121227/nba-three-reasons-clippers-better-thunder

Right...my point isnt that DRose isnt an elite player, or the leader of that team....my point is that the Bulls have been VERY competitive, and a pretty good team without him. How many teams can say that? If you took the star player off of most teams they would fade into Bolivia, but the Bulls have managed to maintain a level of competitiveness, and are still a playoff team (at this point in the season).

yes they are very competitive some nights while other nights they need that go-to guy. right now, they are far too inconsistent. with drose, this team can go from 45-50 wins to 55+. more specially, they can compete everynight, win or lose

I just got 4 tickets to see the Pacers and Grizz play on New Years Eve. I'm so excited I dont know what do to with myself

I have no idea where i'll find a hotel to stay at for a reasonable price

Varejao
Given that the Nets currently rank in the bottom third of the league in both defensive efficiency and defensive rebounding rate, they won't sniff the top four in the East unless they drastically improve the frontcourt on that end of the floor. So it makes a ton of sense for the Nets and the Cavs to initiate talks centering on Varejao.

But will the Nets have enough? The Cavaliers should be willing to listen if Lopez is dangled as part of the package. The Cavaliers are said to be asking for the moon in return for Varejao, and they've been looking for a young big man to pair with Irving; Tristan Thompson hasn't taken the leap that many were hoping for this season.

A Lopez-for-Varejao swap can work only if Luke Walton and his $6.1 million contract are thrown into the deal; it might take an additional team to bring enough young assets to build a package worthwhile for the Cavs. It all depends on the Cavaliers' appraisal of Lopez's game and their appetite for rolling the dice in the draft yet again. Young centers who can produce the way Lopez can don't come around very often. In the past five seasons, only two players have averaged 17 points, seven rebounds and two blocks in a season before their 25th birthday: Dwight Howard and Lopez.

HOW ABOUT NO.

I just got 4 tickets to see the Pacers and Grizz play on New Years Eve. I'm so excited I dont know what do to with myself

I have no idea where i'll find a hotel to stay at for a reasonable price
May the lord have mercy on your eyes.

And the Nets need an athletic PF that can defend and rebound. I'm not sure what Humphries and Brooks could fetch. I threw out the idea of Nene in the Wizards thread. He can certainly run, score and defend. He's not much of a rebounder though.

uhhhh what does deron williams do better than CP3 besides getting coaches fired?

Dude, look at their head to head matchups!

Ok

Chris Paul averages
15.7 ppg, 3.7 rebounds, 9.1 assists, 2.4 steals

Deron Williams averages
16.6 ppg, 3.2 rebounds, 8.4 assists, 1.2 steals

They have played twice since CP3 went to the Clips, and Deron went to the Nets, with CP3's team winning both times. Overall, Deron leads the series 14-4

your point is?

Also, if head to head matchups are that important to you, I can make a case for Brook Lopez being the second best center in the league....but head to head stats are incredibly misleading

Last edited:
He was being intentionally and ironically disingenuous to convey a sense of contempt with regards to the expressed opinion.

Last edited:

Varejao

HOW ABOUT NO.

is Luke Walton the most traded player in nba history?

is Luke Walton the most traded player in nba history?
mean.gif
 My man...how did you even assume this?

It was common knowledge that Luke was a Lakers mascot his entire career until Cleveland.

but they havent gotten worse... so they are still good.

Thunder aren't looking to just be good. They're looking to win a championship.

Thunder have some serious issues that they haven't improved on. The Heat would run demolish them in a series again.

Whatever tho, they have time to improve or make some changes, or maybe Westbrook will grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom