Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, if you are caught flopping one game, you should loose a game's worth of a paycheck.

On an average NBA salary, that's about a $63,000 fine.

If you really want to eliminate flopping, I think that would help.
just a flat base o 50,000. Thats money not matter who you are
True, but make it $100,000. You've got to scare them!
Suspensions without pay are really the only way to hurt a player or a team. Because if a player flops and it helps the team he is going to get that back in playoff/Finals bonuses. Or the team may just pay that fine for them if it is helping the team win.

If the rule is zero tolerance and guys get suspended for a game without pay they will think more than twice about trying to sell something that isnt there. Especially in a playoff series where 1 game could mean going home or moving on. I never expect the NBA or the NBAPA to agree on that, or even look at that as a possibility the way things are going now. But that would be the only sure fire way to eliminate it.

Bottom line is that the league really doesnt care that it is part of the game. These "fines" are just to appease the fans that hate flopping and it is a cop out to show that they are "doing something" when they really couldnt care less if it is happening or not.

Last edited:
Suspensions without pay are really the only way to hurt a player or a team. Because if a player flops and it helps the team he is going to get that back in playoff/Finals bonuses. Or the team may just pay that fine for them if it is helping the team win.

If the rule is zero tolerance and guys get suspended for a game without pay they will think more than twice about trying to sell something that isnt there. Especially in a playoff series where 1 game could mean going home or moving on. I never expect the NBA or the NBAPA to agree on that, or even look at that as a possibility the way things are going now. But that would be the only sure fire way to eliminate it
I COMPLETELY agree, but the bolded is why I didn't even bring it up 
laugh.gif

They don't want to risk a LeBron or superstar type players to get suspended, because the NBA will lose money themselves and potentially water down playoff series. Like most businesses, the NBA is a $$$$$ first league. 

Last edited:
Yup, which is why I went back and added that last little paragraph. NBA and David Stern dont give 2 ***** about whether flopping is in the league or not. So its almost pointless arguing about it. The best thing we as fans can do is what people did with the Bron/West flop-off. Draw so much attention to it that it forces the Leagues hand and Maybe, just maybe players get somewhat embarrassed after a couple times that they cut back. Even if its a little

Last edited:
Honestly, if you are caught flopping one game, you should loose a game's worth of a paycheck.

True, but make it $100,000. You've got to scare them!

If the rule is zero tolerance and guys get suspended for a game without pay they will think more than twice about trying to sell something that isnt there. Especially in a playoff series where 1 game could mean going home or moving on. I never expect the NBA or the NBAPA to agree on that, or even look at that as a possibility the way things are going now. But that would be the only sure fire way to eliminate it.

Bottom line is that the league really doesnt care that it is part of the game. These "fines" are just to appease the fans that hate flopping and it is a cop out to show that they are "doing something" when they really couldnt care less if it is happening or not.

Off topic but from that attempt to show Kobe flopping video, this comment got me rolling:

"The only things MJ and Kobe have in common:  1. They're both SG's 2. They were both coached by Phil Jackson 3. They both prevented Karl Malone from winning a championship"

:smh::lol:

agree with all you guys on the flopping. It won't stop until it has some ON-COURT backlash. Either refs can review it...deem it a flop and access a foul or even a technical foul during the game....or suspend players for games.

But flopping is such a fine line considering about 80% of the time its subjective. You can say oh he def flopped there...but you can't really prove it if there is contact. So it would be a slippery slope to try to suspend players for it. You say "only the obvious flops would be suspensions" but that isn't always the easiest thing to pick out. You would end up with 6 suspensions all year for the super obvious flops and the rest would get passes.

I personally think its here to stay and now a part of the game...no i don't like it :lol:

Off topic but from that attempt to show Kobe flopping video, this comment got me rolling:

"The only things MJ and Kobe have in common:  1. They're both SG's 2. They were both coached by Phil Jackson 3. They both prevented Karl Malone from winning a championship"

:smh::lol:

:wow: :wow: :rofl:

agree with all you guys on the flopping. It won't stop until it has some ON-COURT backlash. Either refs can review it...deem it a flop and access a foul or even a technical foul during the game....or suspend players for games.

But flopping is such a fine line considering about 80% of the time its subjective. You can say oh he def flopped there...but you can't really prove it if there is contact. So it would be a slippery slope to try to suspend players for it. You say "only the obvious flops would be suspensions" but that isn't always the easiest thing to pick out. You would end up with 6 suspensions all year for the super obvious flops and the rest would get passes.

I personally think its here to stay and now a part of the game...no i don't like it
laugh.gif
I agree that they would prolly just let most go. But I think even the threat of possibly being suspended would deter guys from trying it. For example (and just a random example dont need to get into a console war here
laugh.gif
)  if Xbox tells me that they are going to charge me $1 every time they catch me on Xbox Live with a hacked box who cares. Im saving so much not having to buy games $1 here and there is nothing. But they decided we are just going to suspend your xbox for life if it is caught no questions asked. Now im not even trying to hack it cause I dont even want to risk it. Are there guys who still do it. Sure, but not nearly as much if the punishment wasnt so high.

I wasnt saying suspend everyone who even remotely flops because like you said its very objective. But even the threat of it happening would deter a lot of guys from trying to get away with it. Because at one point it would bite a superstar in the *** and then everyone would be like O ****. This is kinda real I better cut that **** out if a guy like Durant/Bron/Kobe/Harden/Wade can get got.

Last edited:

The flop penalties can't be too punitive or the league would be hear from the player's union.

:rofl: @ The Need to bring Kobe into the discussion because dudes are hurt their hero finally got called out by the Association for flopping. Keep posting "evidence."

Whatever makes ya'll feel better. :lol:

9e42f442_kobe-flop-o.gif

It will be hilarious to see the Kobe lobby Johnny Cochraning an explanation for why this isn't a flop either..

Not to mention how him constantly flailing his arms in the air and yelling at the top of his lungs like he's been on a deserted island for 20 years and suddenly sees a plane fly by.

But let me guess - this couldn't be any more different from flopping. :rolleyes Annoying as hell to look at. But if you're a Kobe fan you'll eat the two FTAs up.

The cold hard fact is that pro sports isn't an ethics contest. Players will do what they can if it helps them win. And if it helps someone you're a fan of, you'll sure as hell take it. The same with dirty players. Bruce Bowen deliberately tried to injure players, something way worse than flopping. People were angry at him, but if he was playing for their team, you know that they would've defended him. What would you like to see pro sports look like? Like this:

http://www.values.com/inspirational-stories-tv-spots/106-Basketball

?

Battier must be grandfathered in
laugh.gif
son was flopping at Duke.

One thing I can say about mj, he had pride and enough respect for the game to not use manipulative tactics to gain calls. He was just a grown @@@ man going to work. No funny business.
battier got that rollover plan

It will be hilarious to see the Kobe lobby Johnny Cochraning an explanation for why this isn't a flop either..

Not to mention how him constantly flailing his arms in the air and yelling at the top of his lungs like he's been on a deserted island for 20 years and suddenly sees a plane fly by.

But let me guess - this couldn't be any more different from flopping. :rolleyes Annoying as hell to look at. But if you're a Kobe fan you'll eat the two FTAs up.

The cold hard fact is that pro sports isn't an ethics contest. Players will do what they can if it helps them win. And if it helps someone you're a fan of, you'll sure as hell take it. The same with dirty players. Bruce Bowen deliberately tried to injure players, something way worse than flopping. People were angry at him, but if he was playing for their team, you know that they would've defended him. What would you like to see pro sports look like? Like this:

http://www.values.com/inspirational-stories-tv-spots/106-Basketball

?

The boy be flailing like crazy but ateast the dude dont flop like that

But i see your point there is no difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom