Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

From the article I'm sure many didn't read.... some excerpts 

The Rise of the NBA Nerd
Durant isn't alone. In their tandem press conferences, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, of the Miami Heat, alternate impeccably tailored suits with cardigans over shirts and ties. They wear gingham and plaid and velvet, bow ties and sweater vests, suspenders, and thick black glasses they don't need. Their colors conflict. Their patterns clash. Clothes that once stood as an open invitation to bullies looking for something to hang on the back of a bathroom door are what James now wears to rap alongside Lil Wayne. Clothes that once signified whiteness, squareness, suburbanness, sissyness, in the minds of some NBA players no longer do.
What's most surreal about what LeBron James and Dwyane Wade are wearing is that the clothes are versions of what, in the late 1980s, 1990s, and early 2000s, got kids terrorized. Black youth culture was so steeped in hip-hop and monolithic ideas of what and who black people should and should not be that in order to incorporate a tie into your daily wardrobe, you had to walk a kangaroo court of Karl Kani hoodies and FUBU jeans. Black love once seemed more conditional than it does now. In 1991, Kanye West might have been too much of a weirdo to be a star.
When David Stern imposed the league's reductive dress code six years ago, all this role-playing, reinvention, and experimentation didn't seem a likely outcome. We all feared Today's Man. But the players — and the stylists — were being challenged to think creatively about dismantling Stern's black-male stereotyping. The upside of all this intentionality is that these guys are trying stuff out to see what works. Which can be exciting. No sport has undergone such a radical shift of self-expression and self-understanding, wearing the clothes of both the boys it once mocked and the men it desires to be.
It's not a complete transformation. Being Carlton wasn't just code for nerd, it was code for gay, and the homophobia these clothes provoked still persists, even from their wearers. Once last year, Dwight Howard, of the Orlando Magic, wore a blue-and-black cardigan over a whitish tie and pink shirt to a press conference. When a male reporter told him it was a good color on him, instead of asking the reporter "Which color?," Howard spent many seconds performing disgusted disbelief: Whoa, whoa. A moment like that demonstrated how hopelessly superficial all this style can be. The sport can change its clothes, but, even with Dan Savage looking over its shoulder, will it ever change its attitude? If Howard thinks compliments about his cardigan are gay, he probably shouldn't wear one.

Still, something's changed in a sport that used to be afraid of any deviations from normal. That fear allowed Dennis Rodman to thrive. Now Rodman just seems like a severe side effect of the league's black-male monoculture. The Los Angeles Lakers officially recognize the man who was involved in one of the most notorious fights in sports history as "Metta World Peace." Baron Davis, of the Cleveland Cavaliers, spent the summer in a lockout beard that made him look like a Fort Greene lumberjack. And Kevin Durant wears a safety-strapped backpack. If Stern was hoping to restore a sense of normalcy to the NBA, he only exploded it. There no longer is a normal.

Don't know if posted already....

I swear the SNL SAS skit is so on point. Son always talking about how close he is to a player or when he last saw them :lol:
You been hiding in a cave?

Pretty much. I knew these cats were doing this last summer during the playoffs. This is on a whole nother level.
Look at this house ***** :x
House ******? You trippin for real.

Last edited:
I read that when I came out, I actually liked it so much, I tweeted at the guy who wrote it (he responded back to me WHOOOO). I have 0 issues with the way Russell Westbrook dresses, he gets more props for actually picking out stuff that he likes and not caring what other people think, and a lot of the stuff he wears isnt all that bad, people are over reacting. They pick the way out there ones and just run with it.

Just saw the Westbrook interview :rofl: :rofl:

I liked T Will in Sac too... but I'm pretty sure he didn't come back because he had issues fitting in 
tired.gif

:lol: :lol: I liked him as a Rocket til he started acting like a *****, just like Aaron Brooks. He would lament for more PT (which is cool), but right after he got PT and had good games, he'd just start randomly missing practices. There's still no reason he shouldn't be on a team though if he's got himself together.

Last edited:
just saw that westbrook interview

:rofl:

dude looks and sounds so freakin mentally challenged :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom