Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how yesterday's game was boring

And you forgot 8-1 at home recently.

But they aren't gonna get any respect until midway point next year. I'm curious to see how they do. I like wall.

He said players weren't engaged and the crowd wasn't in to it. *shrugs*

But you're right...they have to play like this from the start of the year. IF this team was healthy, I have no doubt that they would have been in the playoff hunt. Wall has made a HUGE difference in the lineup.

I don't see how yesterday's game was boring

And you forgot 8-1 at home recently.

But they aren't gonna get any respect until midway point next year. I'm curious to see how they do. I like wall.
He said players weren't engaged and the crowd wasn't in to it. *shrugs*

But you're right...they have to play like this from the start of the year. IF this team was healthy, I have no doubt that they would have been in the playoff hunt. Wall has made a HUGE difference in the lineup.
Not really a fan of the Wizards, and definitely not a fan of Wall but its to see that thier fans have something to cheer about. Going through a ton of down years and finally seeing your team have an upswing >

The team made the playoffs annually in the Gilbert Arenas era...as a 4-6 seed at that. A few seasons ain't a "ton" of years.

Last edited:
Yes, those were my exact words.

Thanks for the confirmation. Why the change of heart tho?

The Wizards still looked absolutely terrible vs the Clippers. Beal was out, tho. If they were healthy all year they still wouldn't come close to te playoffs imo. They might be able to do it next year tho. Wall in the playoffs :pimp:

Last edited:
Wasn't Lamb going ham in the d-league recently?
yup.. hence why it doesnt make sense that brooks can't find some time for him

he has outplayed PJ3 and orten.. hell, probably even jackson too

The team made the playoffs annually in the Gilbert Arenas era...as a 4-6 seed at that. A few seasons ain't a "ton" of years.
Well they have the 5th longest playoff drought in the league, soon to be third when Golden State and Brooklyn go so yea....

Thanks for the confirmation. Why the change of heart tho?

:lol:

The real concerning thing about the trade that Hollins seem to have got right is that advanced stats were completely wrong about Rudy Gay's value. His production was a victim of the system he was in. Hollins' offensive philosophy actually diminished Rudy's productivity.

So, he had a terrible PER this year, but it was largely not his fault. As the True Hoop article from a couple weeks ago pointed out, Rudy was just taking the shots that the offensive system produced, and a LARGE portion of those shots were contested mid- to long-range jumpers in the last seven seconds of the shot clock. Those shots aren't going anywhere because you've traded Rudy Gay. All that's going to happen is that someone else is going to take them; probably Tayshaun Prince, Tony Allen, and Jerryd Bayless.

The problem was always Lionel Hollins. But, since he led to a better record every season he's been here, people would say it was stupid to fire him. The fact is, the assistant coach is the reason behind our elite defense, not Hollins. Its kinda like Thibs when he was behind Doc Rivers. So, it just seems like Memphis is moving all of their talent away while keeping the problem on the team.

:lol:

The real concerning thing about the trade that Hollins seem to have got right is that advanced stats were completely wrong about Rudy Gay's value. His production was a victim of the system he was in. Hollins' offensive philosophy actually diminished Rudy's productivity.

So, he had a terrible PER this year, but it was largely not his fault. As the True Hoop article from a couple weeks ago pointed out, Rudy was just taking the shots that the offensive system produced, and a LARGE portion of those shots were contested mid- to long-range jumpers in the last seven seconds of the shot clock. Those shots aren't going anywhere because you've traded Rudy Gay. All that's going to happen is that someone else is going to take them; probably Tayshaun Prince, Tony Allen, and Jerryd Bayless.

The problem was always Lionel Hollins. But, since he led to a better record every season he's been here, people would say it was stupid to fire him. The fact is, the assistant coach is the reason behind our elite defense, not Hollins. Its kinda like Thibs when he was behind Doc Rivers. So, it just seems like Memphis is moving all of their talent away while keeping the problem on the team.

How much influence did John Hollinger have on the Rudy Gay trade?

A lot.

Levien doesn't know much about managing a team, that's why he hired Hollinger to help evaluate players. Chris Wallace is like the odd man out. I wonder what Michael Heisley thinks about all of this. He has season tickets this season with the Grizzlies, but I haven't seen him at a game since these trades went down :lol:

Wizards are 8-7 since Wall came back and 9-7 in their last 16.

Had an interesting discussion w/ a Knicks fan last night. Dude said they are "boring" their ways to wins. Whatever that means.

It's funny to me. Wizards lose...it's the same ol' Wizards. Wizards win, the other team is playing down to their level. No one can give credit when credit is due. Not a lot of people have noticed, but they've been playing good basketball since early January. Hopefully they can keep it up.

*Not sure where the ranking is now, but as of Feb 1, I believe the wizards (since Wall's return) were 4th in the NBA in total defense. On the season, they're ranked 8th.

I actually like the Wizards team. Yeah, they didn't look that impressive in beating the CP and Blake-less Clippers, but they did what they needed to win. They have solid bigs, guys who can space the floor in Beal and Webster (and also make up for Wall's lack of outside shooting) and a dynamic player in Wall. And Ariza can kind of be the x-factor when he's playing well. He's a very solid defender - definitely gave Crawford fits in the game last week and he hit a couple of really big shots. So, I think that when you look at the first 7 or 8 guys on the roster, its a pretty well put together, balanced team. And with their size and athleticism, it doesn't surprise me that they rank pretty highly in defense after Wall's return. I think they dug themselves too deep a whole this year, but they should be in playoff contention next year.

Not sure how much sense a Spurs-Jazz trade would make.

The Spurs as currently constructed have the best record in the league, and they're both playoff teams in the same conference. Not sure why they'd want to mess it up at this point, or why Utah would want to deal Jefferson to a conference rival.

Last edited:
Not sure how much sense a Spurs-Jazz trade would make.

The Spurs as currently constructed have the best record in the league, and they're both playoff teams in the same conference. Not sure why they'd want to mess it up at this point, or why Utah would want to deal Jefferson to a conference rival.
Spurs and Jazz management are very close, its to the point where you cant even consider them rivals. Any trade that is decided upon will be fair and beneficial to both teams, guaranteed.

As much as I love our depth it was the main reason we lost last year to OKC IMO. Pop did not shorten the rotation at all, and in the playoffs there is no reason to play 12 guys. Play your 8 best guys as much as possible, and push it to 10 if you need to. 11 guys played in almost every game, even if for a short amount of time, its too much. In any game that wasnt a blowout OKC played 8 or 9 guys, we were guaranteed to play 10. After a certain point I was against it, and though he should shorten it. You play 8 and give guys continuity on the floor.

Plus he'll bring size to the roster which against OKC we needed. Outside of Duncan all of our bigs are tiny, or they play tiny. We'll still swing the ball as much as we always did, and hopefully wont deal anyone who’s a true part of the core like Green Leonard and Splitter and it will give us another solid halfcourt option and a big who can finish games.

Last edited:
Um whoooooooooo exactly is utah gonna want from the spurs? for a borderline all star big man who is VERY productive?

laugh.gif

Pretty much all. He's an advance stat junkie that knows nothing about the game and the new Grizz owner thought it would be a good idea to give him a job. There's a reason he couldn't get another NBA gig after his short tenure with the Spurs.

Um whoooooooooo exactly is utah gonna want from the spurs? for a borderline all star big man who is VERY productive?

From all I read... They want to move Al Jeff & Millsap so Favors and Kanter can be starters...

So chances are they'd want Leonard.. And try to stay away from a Tiago.

Any trade would be awkward for both teams.

Last edited:
That's my point outside of Leonard... They would have no value with anyone else on that roster. Both Milsap & Jeffereson are expirings so it's not like their looking for that. The Spurs backup PG's aren't anything to be excited about, and neither are their picks add that to the fact their in the same conference and they could possibly see them in the first round i see no chance they trade him to the spurs.

If i'm the clippers i'm offering up D.Jordan and bledsoe for Jeffereson right now, but that still wouldn't help the jazz

Where are the Brooklyn/NY NT'ers at? I'm going to be in NY April 6th-9th and gonna catch the Nets/Bobcats game :nerd:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom