[ Official N.Y. METS 2008 OFF-SEASON: MURPHY PERMANENT LEFT FIELDER ]

Mets caught a break, that boy was safe
laugh.gif

Nah, he def was NOT safe.

Did he beat Scho to the bag? Yes he did.

Did he even TOUCH home plate? Nope.

Anybody else go to the game? It was colder than a %$##*!%#!!*# out there. Had to bounce after the 9th, my ride was leaving.

In Section 4, we could see that pitch to Church was a ball. It was exciting, just wish we could've closed it out, but a W is a W. I need to warm up and getto sleep.

...and this guy thinks he can get a big contract next season?
laugh.gif

How do you give up 7 runs in just 3 hits in the 2nd inning? (I know 5 are un-earned but damn).
laugh.gif

The brightside so far this season is that we are still over .500 considering that Reyes, Wright, Delgado and Beltran haven't been hitting. Personally Inever have like Beltran and feel like the only time he does anything is when we are already up by 3+ runs. Delgado is washed up, his bat speed is gone. Wrightwill start hitting again but I am really worried about Reyes. I know he hit well last night but it seems like he has been reverting to how he was 3 years ago.IDK what I will do if he doesn't start coming around again. I might be placed on suicide watch.

Reyes will come around, he's just VERY streaky. It really is amazing considering all the negative, such as Gado doing nothing, Beltran/Wright/reyes hittinga skid all at the same time, and the inconsistencies out of Heilman, Sosa, and Perez (a loss today would still be a 3-2 home stand).

Hopefully they can turn it on in the warm weather of Arizona.

As for Beltran, that's not fair to say dude does nothing unless there is a huge lead, he had a huge clutch hit over the weekend in ATL. Dude hasn'teven hit his stride yet, but at least he has a high OBP (same goes for Wright).

Why does Sosa shake his head after every hit he gives up? Like hes not used to giving up hits. I really don't know whose worse at this point Heilman orSosa. Why do we get stuck with both of them.

Originally Posted by officialbang

Why does Sosa shake his head after every hit he gives up? Like hes not used to giving up hits. I really don't know whose worse at this point Heilman or Sosa. Why do we get stuck with both of them.
laugh.gif
dude reading my mind.

I feel bad for Johan even though he keeps give up jacks

Those gritty, gutty, fighting Mets sure are not going without a fight!
laugh.gif

Great game on ESPN2 right now, but I might just mess with some GTA4 (I love off days).

to look on the posititve side reyes had 3 walks last night

something that would not have happened 3 years ago

Its the "Pirates" but the Mets have a record of 13-10 vs them, plus Ollie never plays well against him (not making excuses for dude, today wasinexcusable).

Matt Wise comes off the DL tomm, I hope Mets management sends Sosa down and NOT Smith!

You can just tell when Ollie is gonna be on top of his game or just a complete !%+%$+@ basketcase...and when the catcher and Peterson have to come out to themound twice in an inning, it's usually the latter. Once he loses control and starts walking dudes, he has trouble regrouping and just falls apart. It'snot pretty.

Cohen and Darling threw out a stat early in the game and I'm probably a little off but in 3 starts he hasn't let up an earned run but in the other 3(prior to today), he'd let up like 11 in 10 innings or some #%!@*!$@. He can have some nasty stuff though and is fun to watch, it's just tough havinghim as your #3 guy because he's so damn inconsistent.

I mean, when you can only muster 2 hits in a damn game that Gorzelanny started, it's gonna be bad news regardless.

Willie Randolph, Jose Reyes, David Wright and Carlos Delgado had no problem quickly dismissing the Mets' mistake-filled 13-1 loss to the Pirates Wednesday. It was one of those games, they said, that you just throw away.
Billy Wagner, however, strongly disagreed.

"Today, we just didn't show up," he said. "I'm not saying Pittsburgh can't beat the New York Mets. But I'm just saying there's no way we should have this lopsided of a score."

Wagner singled out Oliver Perez for not giving them a chance -- he walked five in 12/3 innings -- but the closer directed his strongest criticism at his teammates as a whole.

"Yes, you're going to have games like this," Wagner said. "But it's the fashion in which you play these games. I mean, we weren't good at defense. We weren't good at pitching. There was no get-up-and-go. And that can't happen.

"It's something that can't continue to linger."

This is why I hate Willie.

Willie's explanation for most things is "It happens." He loves that cliche. Anyway, the Mets don't look any better than last year to thispoint. I don't really get stressed when Ollie walks the park cuz he does it more times than not. He's showing why he's had 1 brilliant year, 1comeback year, and the rest crappy ones.

Well, all I can say is that with Sosa/Heilman consistenly losing games for the Mets so far, Pedro/Duque out (what else is new), Alou being out the entiremonth, Gado showing he's done, and Beltran/Reyes slumping the last week or two of the month (Beltran has a high obp at least)......I will take a 14-12record and being back only 1/2 game is something I will take any day of the week.

Hopefully Alou's return over the weekend can spark the club, it will make the lineup that much deeper. If the Mets steal one @ ARI and win 2 of 3 @ LA theycan finish the tough trip with a 3-3 record......but 4-2 is def not out of the question (I have a feeling they will surprise me).

Hopefully this won't be a 3 team LIMP to the finish in September.

Billy Wagner expanded on his blunt criticism of Oliver Perez Thursday during his weekly radio spot, saying the Mets will go nowhere this year if the enigmatic lefthander doesn't learn how to battle through his own troubles.

In his weekly interview with Michael Kay on 1050 ESPN Radio, Wagner said Perez has to hold himself accountable for lasting only 12/3 innings Wednesday when the team desperately needed length. "You have to be able to look at yourself and say, 'Is that the best I can do?"' he said.

Speaking before the Mets' chartered flight to Arizona, Wagner said he and others approached Perez before Wednesday's game and told him they needed length.

But what Wagner saw was a pitcher who didn't have his best stuff and didn't fight his way through it. "If he goes out there and battles and comes up short, you know what, we're not going to have a problem with that," he said. "But you have to battle. You have to go out there and find a way."

Wagner's statements may not have helped his clubhouse reputation as a talker -- "I'm probably the least favorite guy in the clubhouse," he said -- but he is not worried about any ramifications. He expected Mets manager Willie Randolph to request a private meeting before the flight, and he seemed more than willing to express the same sentiments to him.

"I want to win and I know everyone in that clubhouse wants to win," Wagner said, "but sometimes you've got to say something. You might have to stir the pot."

As for Perez, Wagner said, "I'll be in the locker room, and if Oliver wants to say something, fine. I love the kid ... If he gets mad at Billy Wagner for saying this and then goes out there and wins ballgames, great. I'm all for it."

Wagner said he didn't want to publicly rip his teammate two days in a row, but he did so because he thought it might help Perez become tougher on the mound. "I'm not saying it because I don't like him," he said. "I'm saying it because I expect to be better.
"I have no problem with someone coming over and saying they didn't like what I said or why I said it. But when you sit with him and say, 'We need this; we need you to step up right here' and guys are coming to him saying, 'Hey, I see this' and he's not responding, then you know what, if this -- -- you off, if you don't want me to say anything, then go out there and pitch and compete."

Back
Top Bottom