Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

eek.gif
at the jump Silva wants to make... He ain't playing at all... Thatwould be good for UFC, but Silva would be fighting guys 60+ pounds heavier than him.... I know size doesn't matter word to Fedor killing giants, butdamn...

^ check the last page.
grin.gif

some odd things happening around DREAM 12.

2e5r2md_medium.png

Due to DREAM.11 being pushed back from September 23 to October 6, DREAM will now be hosting two events in October, with only 19 days separating the two. Here is some info via NightmareOfBattle on DREAM.12:

It was announced today that DREAM.12 on October 25th will take place at the Osaka Castle Hall in Osaka. DREAM EP Sasahara said that the card is currently being worked on but fighters from Osaka like Yoshiro Maeda are being considered. He also mentioned Kazushi Sakuraba as a potential participant.

DREAM is returning to the Osaka Hall since their monumental LW GP finale card held at DREAM.5, and I believe they are looking for a little bit of the magic to return for DREAM.12. The second big announcement surrounding DREAM.12 was the DREAM/Strikeforce alliance and the possibility of seeing some DREAM/Strikeforce matchups in this event. DREAM EP Sasahara flew to the states to meet with Strikeforce president Scott Coker to discuss Strikeforce fighters and Fedor.

Sasahara is leaving to America tomorrow and his goal is that he wants to announce the whole cooperation deal with Strikeforce and negotiate about fighters (Fedor included).

Sasahara revealed that the plan is for Strikeforce fighters to participate as soon as DREAM.12. They want to invite both fighters who haven't fought in Japan before, and fighters who have had activity in the past and are still doing their best today. He thinks they will be champion class. They are also considering Alistair Overeem.

The last announcement that was made by Sasahara has more than intrigued MMA fans around the world, and that is his cryptic innuendos of some sort of Ring/Cage hybrid that has never been done in MMA before but it is not the first of its kind in Japan.

Sasahara says that he really wants to say something. He says that he is thinking about various [a word which could mean device, mechanism, half done, etc.]. Anyway, it's a big surprise. He says that it's a 70% chance that it will happen. He also said: "It's not the first of its kind in Japan but…".

Some sites give more detail than others which I find strange. According to sportsnavi Sasahara said that it is something that have been in Pro-Wrestling and the like before. For example something similar to establishing both a ring and cage. Expect something next week.

The DREAM.12 promo was released today, and as promised, more information about this Ring/Cage hybrid was available in the promo.

dream12promosnap1_medium.jpg

dream12promosnap2_medium.jpg

d12cage_medium.jpg

via nightmareofbattle.files.wordpress.com

Many fans were left wondering what it all means. When it mentions the UFC in the bottom figure above, it says "Its not in the UFC". Other text in the video says "violence", "game held with the Emperor in attendance". Sakuraba in the video (from the last event) says: "It's useless to escape"/"I must not escape".

Here is NOB's interpretation:

DREAM has put up a promo video of DREAM.12 on their YouTube channel and it contains the management discussing the "experiment" of DREAM.12 that was hinted at last week. It might be a change of the fighting surface.

However, in the video it says: "not in the UFC", "violence", etc. So could it be the introduction of soccer kicks and stomps in DREAM? But Sasahara said last week that it will be the first of its kind in MMA.

Sakuraba in the video (from the last event) says: "It's useless to escape"/"I must not escape". You can't escape from a cage?

From the video, we can assume that a future matchup of Alvarez vs Kikuno may take place in DREAM.12. Also, the "violence" theme comes up a lot, which could mean a change in the rules perhaps? Vale Tudo Japan was rumored around a bit, and having old PRIDE rules may provide the same feel along with the new fight ring/cage. The video promo also made it seem like what they were going to do for DREAM.12 would be too "violent" for tv. We can also assume that Fedor will be in attendance for the show.

Finally, Strikeforce was set to have a HUGE show in October, and at the time I believed it would be a CBS show back when it was being rumored, but it looks like it could be a co-promotion with DREAM. CBS seems to not have ruled that out yet.

Kelly Kahl, Senior Executive Vice President for CBS Primetime TV, said he "wouldn't rule out" a Strikeforce show on CBS late this year. He said his network had no direct hand in the Emelianenko deal, but stood to gain from it with options the network held to broadcast Strikeforce events.

Scott Coker also mentioned that there could be a co-promotion with DREAM soon.

"In Strikeforce, we're committed to putting on the best fights that we can," Coker said. "They have a lot of great fighters in DREAM, and we'll be able to test the best fighters in Strikeforce against the best fighters in DREAM. Hopefully we'll be in Japan doing a co-promotion in relatively short time.

Strikeforce October Rumored Participants: Jacare, Jake Shields, Roger Gracie, Brett Rogers, Matt Lindland, Robbie Lawler, Fedor's debut.

DREAM.12 October Participants: Paulo Filho, Katsunori Kikuno, Yoshiro Maeda, Andrews Nakahara, Alistair Overeem, Murilo Rua, Kazushi Sakuraba, Kiyoshi Tamura, Eddie Alvarez, Mayhem Miller, Nick Diaz. Super Hulk Tournament: Gegard Mousasi vs Rameau Sokoudjou, Minowaman vs HMC.

for anyone who cares and is wondering on where Ricardo Arona is (
ohwell.gif
Iknow some folks ask sometimes):

For years, Brazilian fans and fighters have dreamed that MMA would someday garner support from the country's government. That dream was realized on Aug. 3, when Rio de Janeiro Governor Sérgio Cabral hosted a special ceremony to announce Bitetti Combat 4.

Promoted by Brazilian jiu-jitsu legend and UFC veteran Amaury Bitetti, Bitetti Combat 4 will take place Sept. 12 in Maracanãzinho, Rio de Janeiro. Brazilian standouts Ricardo Arona, Paulo Filho and Pedro Rizzo will headline the event, none of which have fought in their homeland in years, if at all.

"It brings some hope," Rizzo said. "When the UFC came to Brazil in 1998, we thought it was the beginning of a new era for MMA here, but it never happened. We had some nice events, but not a top one like the UFC. The proposal of Bitetti Combat is to put on a great show with some of the greatest Brazilian fighters inside the Octagon. So this event brings back the hope of having MMA growing in Brazil like it is in the U.S.A. and other countries."

Governor Cabral, who was presented an MMA glove by Bitetti inside a cage constructed in the gardens of governor's palace, has guaranteed his support and launched a historical partnership with MMA.

"Rio already produced the Pan American Games last year. We were already chosen as the location for the next World Cup and we are in the running to get the next Olympic Games," said Cabral. "It's going to be a pleasure for us to bring our biggest martial arts idols here to perform at home.

"We already expelled drug dealers from four important slums (pacified communities), but to expel is not enough," continued Cabral. "We have to provide citizenship to the local population and martial arts are one of our ways to make it happen. With the support of all the martial arts teachers and fighting idols, besides producing champions, we will be able to keep children from entering into the criminal life."

Following the speech, Cabral's 14-year-old son, Marco Antonio, who trains jiu-jitsu with the Brazilian Top Team, performed an MMA exhibition with Milton Vieira. Arona and Filho followed with another exhibition, where Filho submitted Arona with an armlock and Arona caught Filho in a choke.

Originally Posted by rodster831

no lie, i love Dream.

any Dream. event is crazy sick to watch, and the grand prix is awsome.

i wish the UFC would do that.

and just to see Mayhem again for the final is gonna be epic cool
Dream is
pimp.gif

brings back some of the old Pride feel.

kikuno
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

UFC 102 Predictions:

Randy Couture
vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Decision)
Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia (Submission, Round 2)
Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva (KO, Round 1)
Brandon Vera vs Krzysztof Soszynski (TKO, Round 2)

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Chris Tuchsherer (TKO, Round 1)
Mike Russo vs. Justin McCully (TKO, Round 2)
Tim Hague vs. Todd Duffee (Decision)
Marcus Aurelio vs. Evan Dunham (Submission, Round 2)
Ed Herman vs. Aaron Simpson (Submission, Round 3) .

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

UFC 102 Predictions:

Randy Couture

I agree but i don't agree with Randy Couture i mean Nogueria is gonna come prepared but i can see why i picked couture by decision. Plus i think it wouldbe better if randy wins for the company because Brock vs Randy II

Originally Posted by Lakersfan1

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

UFC 102 Predictions:

Randy Couture

I agree but i don't agree with Randy Couture i mean Nogueria is gonna come prepared but i can see why i picked couture by decision. Plus i think it would be better if randy wins for the company because Brock vs Randy II

it'll be a close fight, but it will also likely be a slow paced fight.

neither fighter is an adept striker and i think their ground games nullify each other. this leaves lots of clinching on the cage which favours randy.

it's just the way i think it'll play out but ill definitely be rooting for Minotauro.

he could very well pull out a submission or decision himself.

i wish the UFC would do that.

I highly doubt ANY atheltic commission in North America would sanction it, the UFC would have no bearing over it.

jon jones has joined Greg Jackson's camp.

The strong get even stronger.
pimp.gif

Curious to see what happens if Bones makes a title run with Evans still in the picture?

As for 102 this weekend, the main event has me stoked. I don't wanna see either man lose at this point in their careers, but it's ineveitable now. Asmuch as I like to root for Couture, I'm picking Big Nog in this one. Maia/Marquardt should've taken Co-Main Event, but it really is irrelevant in thelong run. If Marquardt can keep it standing, he can easliy take a decision.

MAIN CARD

Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia
Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva
Brandon Vera vs Krzysztof Soszynski
Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt

UNDERCARD

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Chris Tuchsherer
Mike Russo vs. Justin McCully
Tim Hague vs. Todd Duffee
Marcus Aurelio vs. Evan Dunham
Ed Herman vs. Aaron Simpson

MAIN CARD

Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia
Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva
Brandon Vera vs Krzysztof Soszynski
Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt

UNDERCARD

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Chris Tuchsherer
Mike Russo vs. Justin McCully
Tim Hague vs. Todd Duffee
Marcus Aurelio vs. Evan Dunham
Ed Herman vs. Aaron Simpson

I'm picking a couple of smaller upsets (well underdogs, not sure if it would quite be an "upset"). I think Thiago exposes Jardine's glasschin. I also think Rosholt has a good shot at beating non-roiding Leben.

notes from 102 countdown:

-thaysla silva has got CANNONS.

-defending a title does not constitute another time one is champion. only capturing the title constitutes this. marquart is not a 7 time kop.

- quote from wandy on maia 'i weigh 50 more pounds than him. he plays with me on the ground. and im a blackbelt'

- Minotauro. in his words "i got a good jiu jitsu for him" .
laugh.gif

[h1]'Mayhem' Says He Will Face Jake Shields For Interim Strikeforce Title[/h1]
Posted Aug 24, 2009 4:07PM By Ray Huihttp://www.fanhouse.com/bloggers/ray-hui/rss.xml

jake-shields-150mf082409.jpg
Jason "Mayhem" Miller will face Jake Shields (pictured) for the interim Strikeforce middleweight title, according to Miller.

Miller announced the fight today in a scheduled chat on MyFightTeam.com, but while Miller stated that he is "set" to fight Shields, FanHouse has also learned from a source close to Strikeforce that the fight has not yet been signed.

But still, all signs point to the fight happening as the matchup has been brought up by Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker during the Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg post-fight press conference.http://

"The thing about 'Mayhem' he's fighting in Japan and his contract allows him to fight in Japan with DREAM, but he also has a contract with Strikeforce, as well, so you will see him in Strikeforce, " Coker said. "And whether he's fighting for us or for DREAM, 'Mayhem' Miller against Jake Shields, we're trying to put that fight together."

Strikeforce's middleweight belt has been in limbo as the promotion figures out how to handle champion Cung Le's fight career and busy film work. Le, who hasn't defended his belt since winning it in March 2008, told FanHouse recently that he wants to fight but is willing to vacate his belt if his acting schedule does not allow him to compete.

If the fight happens, Shields (23-4-1) will be moving up to middleweight after testing the waters in his last fight at 182-pounds against Robbie Lawler. The Cesar Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt has won his last twelve fights, including a Rumble on the Rock Tournament win and an EliteXC welterweight title reign.

Miller (22-6) was last seen in May taking on Ronaldo de Souza for the vacant DREAM middleweight title until an accidental illegal head kick opened a cut on Souza's head that ended the fight into a no contest. Souza recently signed with Strikeforce so a rematch with Miller is always a possibility in the future.

What has Miller done lately to deserve a title shot? Ehhh, with Cung being a bum, I guess so.

Match should be mildy entertaining. Shields by submission.

^ meh it's just the strikeforce title.

i found three strikeforce title belts in my count chocula just this morning.

karo parisyan vs. dustin hazelett at ufc 106.

UFC 102 Winners:

Randy Coutoure
Keith Jardine*
Chris Leben*
Nate Marquart*
Krystof Soszynski*
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

UFC 103 Winners:

Rich Franklin*
Junior Dos Santos*
pimp.gif