Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

I had Akiyama winning the 1st and 2nd rounds. I wouldn't call it a robbery at all.

It was robbery.

Someone scored the fight 30-27 for Akiyama.

That's not even close to representing what happened in the cage that night and an obvious sign to me at least that the kickboxing wasn't scored the way we'd usually expect in an MMA match.

That's just me, though. I was pulling for Akiyama, and the robbery made me 5 for 5 for the main card that night if I recall correctly.
I would never have the fight 30-27 because Alan def won the 3rd round, but he really didn't start the leg kicks until the end of the 2nd. Notto mention Akiyama on the ground was the ony who had dominate position when they did hit the ground. I would say a robbery would be if Alan clearly won 2rounds, and that 2nd could've went to anyone.

tito calls machida a #%^ and "scared".

compares himself to GSP. says they fight "exactly alike".

these tito vids work for some laughs.

roll.gif

Originally Posted by Battousai701

akiyama vs. gsp would be very interesting... its gonna be a very slippery fight

i mentioned before they should just let them both grease as much as they want and then just have at it.
laugh.gif

'lotion gi'
laugh.gif

hahahahaha might as well have Gilbert Melendez as the guest referee.

I don't know how to multi-quote in 1 response but there were points I wanted to respond to.

Clutch - I dont know if it was a knee injury but Nog definitely was not 100%. I coulda swore it was a staph infection that he was not fully over? Whateverit is, if Nog comes in healthy, Couture is going to have his hands full, thats for sure.

Rusty/Rickybadman - As much as I am a fan of Akiyama, he is not going to give GSP a run for his money. Matching in size and strength? Thiago Alves is afriggin monster and GSP tooled him nice and proper. It's not like Akiyama is a huge 185. For sure he will be a big 170, but so was Thiago and GSP had noproblem neutralizing him. Sure, Akiyama has that good judo background so he might be more difficult to takedown, but I just dont see him posing any problemfor GSP. As far as Kang being a good challenge for GSP. Again, I am a Kang fan and love to root for him and watch him fight. If he gets in there with GSP Ithink there is little chance that he makes it past round 3. I think there are a few guys at 170 not named GSP that will beat Kang (Fitch for one).

Regarding the Belcher/Akiyama fight, its already been re-hashed several times but it could have gone either way. I had it 28-27 for Belcher myself, but I wasbiased cause I had money on Belcher. I've talked about it with some of my buddys, some of whom are very knowlegable MMA fans, and some had it for Akiyama(with one or two having it 30-27). The only reason I thought it was controversial was because of the 30-27 on Judge Adelaide Byrd's scorecard. Eventhough its hard to admit, Joe Rogan ranting about how Belcher was robbed also subconsciously played into my own scoring and belief that Belcher should have gotthe W.

Whats all this talk about Big Nog being done? I mean sure his face looks like a pile of clay thats been beaten into oblivion, and sure he's been throughsome epic wars a la Wanderlei Silva, but Nog is barely 33. He's not even a year older than Brock, and is a helluva lot younger than Couture (also youngerthan Carwin I think). If Nog gets "bisping"ed against Couture, then yea... maybe the argument can be made that he is in the twilight of his career,but lets not count him off after 1 loss to Mir where he was coming off a nasty case of staph infection.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

hahahahaha might as well have Gilbert Melendez as the guest referee.

I don't know how to multi-quote in 1 response but there were points I wanted to respond to.

Clutch - I dont know if it was a knee injury but Nog definitely was not 100%. I coulda swore it was a staph infection that he was not fully over? Whatever it is, if Nog comes in healthy, Couture is going to have his hands full, thats for sure.

Rusty/Rickybadman - As much as I am a fan of Akiyama, he is not going to give GSP a run for his money. Matching in size and strength? Thiago Alves is a friggin monster and GSP tooled him nice and proper. It's not like Akiyama is a huge 185. For sure he will be a big 170, but so was Thiago and GSP had no problem neutralizing him. Sure, Akiyama has that good judo background so he might be more difficult to takedown, but I just dont see him posing any problem for GSP. As far as Kang being a good challenge for GSP. Again, I am a Kang fan and love to root for him and watch him fight. If he gets in there with GSP I think there is little chance that he makes it past round 3. I think there are a few guys at 170 not named GSP that will beat Kang (Fitch for one).

Regarding the Belcher/Akiyama fight, its already been re-hashed several times but it could have gone either way. I had it 28-27 for Belcher myself, but I was biased cause I had money on Belcher. I've talked about it with some of my buddys, some of whom are very knowlegable MMA fans, and some had it for Akiyama (with one or two having it 30-27). The only reason I thought it was controversial was because of the 30-27 on Judge Adelaide Byrd's scorecard. Even though its hard to admit, Joe Rogan ranting about how Belcher was robbed also subconsciously played into my own scoring and belief that Belcher should have got the W.

Whats all this talk about Big Nog being done? I mean sure his face looks like a pile of clay thats been beaten into oblivion, and sure he's been through some epic wars a la Wanderlei Silva, but Nog is barely 33. He's not even a year older than Brock, and is a helluva lot younger than Couture (also younger than Carwin I think). If Nog gets "bisping"ed against Couture, then yea... maybe the argument can be made that he is in the twilight of his career, but lets not count him off after 1 loss to Mir where he was coming off a nasty case of staph infection.
I never siad Akiyama would beat GSP. What I am saying is that if he would move to 170 then he would pose the best chance against GSP than any ofthe current wleterwiehgt fighters. GSP will school Swick and would run right through Kampman. If GSP fight Fitch again then same exact thing would happen hasthe last fight.

I know Alves is huge but he does not have the toolset that Akiyama has. I will Alves the edge in striking bit the gap between the two men is not that wide andAkiyama is a way better grappler. And that is were GSP does most of his damage. The reason GSP seems so dominat because no fighter at 170 can match he in bothStenght and Skill. BJ was skilled enough but not strong or big enough. Thiago was big enough but his skills especailly on the ground were not close enough toGSP. Ftich was the only guy to even make it somewhat interesting but GSP was still stonger and showed better stand-up and a grappling.

Kang would give GSP a challege I don't think as good a one as Akiyama but still a good one. Also to say Ftich could beat Kang is a hard pilll to swollow.Kang recent losses have because he makes mistakes and fells into submissions even at his level like against Belcher and Mousassi. Unless Kang %%#%% up againand falls into a submission I really doubt Fitch could tap him, knock him out or lay onto of him for 3 rounds to get a decision.

Jake Shields isn't coing to the UFC anything soon so I think Akiyama at 170 is the best option Dana has to see someone really challenege GSP.

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

I never siad Akiyama would beat GSP. What I am saying is that if he would move to 170 then he would pose the best chance against GSP than any of the current wleterwiehgt fighters. GSP will school Swick and would run right through Kampman. If GSP fight Fitch again then same exact thing would happen has the last fight.

I know Alves is huge but he does not have the toolset that Akiyama has. I will Alves the edge in striking bit the gap between the two men is not that wide and Akiyama is a way better grappler. And that is were GSP does most of his damage. The reason GSP seems so dominat because no fighter at 170 can match he in both Stenght and Skill. BJ was skilled enough but not strong or big enough. Thiago was big enough but his skills especailly on the ground were not close enough to GSP. Ftich was the only guy to even make it somewhat interesting but GSP was still stonger and showed better stand-up and a grappling.

Kang would give GSP a challege I don't think as good a one as Akiyama but still a good one. Also to say Ftich could beat Kang is a hard pilll to swollow. Kang recent losses have because he makes mistakes and fells into submissions even at his level like against Belcher and Mousassi. Unless Kang %%#%% up again and falls into a submission I really doubt Fitch could tap him, knock him out or lay onto of him for 3 rounds to get a decision.

Jake Shields isn't coing to the UFC anything soon so I think Akiyama at 170 is the best option Dana has to see someone really challenege GSP.
I still disagree. If Aki makes the drop to 170 I don't think he immediately moves to the top of the heap in terms of size/skill/technique. Imean lets compare against some of the top tier UFC 170lbers.

Kampmann - I'm still not sold on this kid and think he stands virtually zero chance against GSP. Straight up against Akiyama I would take Aki to win. Noargument here.
Swick - Personally I dont consider Swick to be a top 5 170lber. A fight with Aki would make for an intriguing matchup though as Swick does have a legitstandup game. If he can keep distance, utilize his reach and keep it on his feet, I think this would make for an extremely difficult fight for either fighter.
Fitch - I think Fitch takes this one more often than not. If this fight ever came to fruition, Fitch would most definitely be the favorite. (not that bettinglines necesarily represent someones skill level but...) If Fitch were to come in around -130 to -150 range range I would bet the house on him all day long. Takedown + LnP his way to a victory.
Koscheck - Even with his size, Aki would have a tough time putting Kos on his back. The standup edge I might give to Aki. It would end up being a question ofwhether or not Kos can put Aki on his back and win the control/position game.
Hughes - As crazy as it sounds I think this might make for one of the most intriguing matchups if Aki makes the drop to 170. Hughes isnt the fighter he oncewas but he's still got some left in the tank. GSP was able to take Hughes down with ease but I dont really see anyone else doing it.

One other thing that goes against Aki in the UFC is the gear. In a lot of his fights in Japan he was able to utilize his Gi for takedowns/throws, subattempts, and to transition into dominant positions. The one fight with Belcher didn't really give much insight so its hard to say how he will adapt.

^^ he's fought without a gi enough to get a decent idea.

he utilizes his judo well, especially trips. his striking is sharp especially his hands and he hits with power.

he'd have size at 170 but,

fitch and alves are two of the biggest welterweights on the planet, hughes and koscheck were all american wrestlers, and he's already beaten anexperienced judokai in karo and that was before he went full on annihilator.

none of them were able to do anything to stifle gsp's wrestling. in fact he made all of themm look like amatuers in that department.

on swick

i think he'd have a legit puncher's chance.

he's got very solid hand speed and he packs some dynamite in there.

but he probably would be on his feet enough throw any substantial combos.

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

Bastich, did you happen to ban the infamous 'LegendK1ller'?! He's been ghost for a while now..
bahahahahaha i think Legend banned himself?

If he ever does make a return visit to this thread (doubtful), I am pretty sure I've already heard every excuse he could possibly come up with. Working insub-prime lending, I've heard it all from "check is in the mail" to "I'm sorry I couldn't make the payment because I was in thehospital and I think I have cancer". I could go on and on with the excuses I've heard from my customers as to why they couldn't make a payment,but that is an entirely new post unto itself. Hell, I've even had a customer off himself because he couldn't make the payment (well he also owed over$300K to the IRS and they were closing in on him) true story. Hopefully Legend didn't go that route. I don't want to have the blood of 2 debtors onmy hands. 1 is enough.

Nevada State Athletic Commission Institutes:

- 5 round Non Title fights.

- Instant Replay

- The 'BJ Penn Rule'.

One of the biggest bits of news to come out of the meeting was the institution of instant replay in limited situations in a mixed martial arts bout. The gist of the new rule basically says that if a fight ends on an injury to one combatant, the referee has the leeway, if it is available, to look at a replay of the fight ending action and determine if the action was legal, resulting in a TKO victory, or illegal, resulting in a no contest.

The other major provision coming out of the meeting was, hopefully, an end to the UFC 94 "greasegate" issue arising over UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre's improper usage of Vaseline during the bout. The new rule, dubbed "The B.J. Penn Rule," now prohibits a fighter or his camp from utilizing any foreign substance immediately before or during a bout to gain an unfair advantage.

Commission representatives, such as cut men, are still allowed to apply Vaseline or other substances before or during a fight to try and limit the amount of damage due to cuts, but it is now considered a foul if a fighter or his corner applies any foreign substance.

The commission also passed a regulation that allows for five-round non-title bouts in MMA between two athletes, “as long as, of course, they are of championship caliber,â€

You could have taken a point from GSP and it makes no difference in that fight, he would have won as he did regardless. BJ said it himself he had no idea whatwas going on after the second round and basically said he had no shot after that.

Love the new five round fights though. Allows for some catch-weight superfights, if they happen,... to be even more exciting.

theres a very big factor when a top bjj practitioner cant use his techniques because his opponent is greasy and/or slippery.

bj penn lost that fight. everyone knows that. he got beat up real bad because he couldnt use any of his bjj. and its not like hes just any regular bjj blackbelt. i just would have been more satisfied if gsp beat him fairly.

many fighters have greased up to fight against a highly skilled submission artist. akiyama did it. gsp has done it. even anderson silva did it against hisfight against thales. luckily, silva got wiped down before the fight actually started.

theres a very big factor when a top bjj practitioner cant use his techniques because his opponent is greasy and/or slippery.

bj penn lost that fight. everyone knows that. he got beat up real bad because he couldnt use any of his bjj. and its not like hes just any regular bjj black belt. i just would have been more satisfied if gsp beat him fairly.

many fighters have greased up to fight against a highly skilled submission artist. akiyama did it. gsp has done it. even anderson silva did it against his fight against thales. luckily, silva got wiped down before the fight actually started.

Silva greased before his fight against Leites? First I'm hearing about that.

he wiped the excess grease off his face, after the cutman applied it, on his body right when he entered the octagon.

the ref saw it and wiped off the vaseline from ailva's arms and chest

if u watch the intro, u can clearly see it.

anderson-silva-ufc-97-greasing.gif

the whole fight was stand up the entire time so it didnt really matter. it would have been a totally different case if the fight went to the ground and thalesattempted submissions.

Back
Top Bottom