Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

why the hell is there a Women's Veet hair removal cream ad streaming on MMAWeekly?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Muscle Shark

UFC 102 Winners:

Randy Coutoure
Keith Jardine*
Chris Leben*
Nate Marquart*
Krystof Soszynski*
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

UFC 103 Winners:

Rich Franklin*
Junior Dos Santos*
pimp.gif

Mike Swick*
Josh Koscheck
Tyson Griffin

*'s=TKO/KO Victories.

ahhh to be young and reckless again.... such memories.

youre callin Franklin to KO/TKO Vitor? Krystof putting Vera to sleep? I mean yea... anything is possible. Random hotel + RufiColada + Megan Fox = Mojobecoming NT's next hero... possible, but not likely, but I digress.

Not that anyone asked, but I am going to give it to you guys anyways.

So as I mentioned before, there aren't any glaring homeruns with the betting lines for this event like there have been for the last few cards, but theremay still be some decent plays. After giving it some extra thought, I went ahead and locked in some action (because I'm a degen and it brings me pleasureto bet) but I definitely scaled down my total outlay. So here... we... go!

MOJO's PICKS FOR UFC102

363 on Randy Couture (-165) over Nog - So there are (unsubstantiated) rumors that Nog has been getting KTFO on the regular while sparring incamp. I know I've been tootin loudly about how Nog isn't done, but now I have my doubts. The only issue I see with Randy is the divorce, causewe've seen how he performs when he's happily in a relationship (Sylvia, Gonzaga, etc..) versus when he's going through a divorce (Liddell 2 and 3). As someone earlier mentioned (Clutch?) neither Couture or Nog have excellent standup technique. I will give Couture the edge in wrestling as I just dont seeNog taking him down. I also dont see Nog working a sub from guard. If anything, he is just going to eat some hammerfists and ground and pound. I see thefight going the way someone previously predicted. Randy works the clinch game, pushes Nog up against the fence, dirty box, wears him down, and eeks out arelatively uneventful decision.

379.50 on Nate Marquardt (-165) over Maia - Maia's jits game is sick no doubt, but Marquardt is a friggin gorilla. Nate's standup ismuch better than Maia's and I think he rolls to a victory as long as he sticks to a good gameplan. I see (or hope) Nate keeping distance, utilizing hisstandup advantage and sprawl n'brawl if Maia attempts to shoot. Depending on how frustrated Maia gets, I could picture a scenario where he attempts topull guard, but I just dont see Nate getting caught in a sub while in Maia's guard. With his strength he should be able to pull out and force the standup. Hopefully Nate doesn't press and get overly confident. If he does that, I can see Maia taking advantage and putting Nate into a tough spot. Nate needsto keep this fight standing or fight in the clinch. He CANNOT give Maia any sort of top position, especially not a dominant one like side or full mount. Nateby 2nd Rd TKO.

thats the only two I've locked in so far. I am eyeing a couple more and will give my picks and analysis after I lock it in.

ahhh to be young and reckless again.... such memories.
laugh.gif

looking forward to seeing Brandon fight again. He looked way better in his fight with Patt compared to the Jardine fight (like damn, ol' boy was lookinglike he hasn't eaten for 3 months).

kinda/sorta/not really off topic as this is a very niche question.

Does anyone train BJJ in the LA area?

This fat kid errr fat man needs to shed a few pounds in the next 6 months, and what better way to do it than training BJJ? I preface a lot of my posts with"I dont train but..." and I'd like to change that. Hopefully by studying/training BJJ I can learn some of the more subtle nuances of it which inturn will only help my overall MMA knowlege and help me appreciate the sport (both MMA and BJJ) as a spectator.

So the biggest thing for me is convenience and price. I am on a razor thin budget cause I got a wedding to pay for (thus the reason to lose some excessunwanted pounds) so I cant exactly go and drop $200+ a month at Hollywood BJJ or 10th planet or anything like that. On the flip side, even though I am acomplete noob with little to no martial arts experience, I dont want to go to some McDojo where I am being taught by someone who has no idea what they aredoing. There's this TKD/Hapkido dojo that is literally a 90 second walk out my backdoor that has started offering BJJ classes. At first I was a bitskeptical about BJJ classes at a TKD joint for kids (I see a buncha 9 year olds runnin around in gi's all the time), but it looks like the BJJ is offeredby a separate team alltogether.

I wanted to see if anyone knew about this group/team and if they are legit and how their instruction is. The place is called Robot Method BJJ www.robotbjj.comand it looks like they are associated with Wander Braga Fight Team. The head instructor is a BJJ brown belt named Tim Patterson. From what I've foundonline, this instructor was also the instructor for the UCLA BJJ Team. Anyone have any experience with this group or this instructor in particular?

^ you already know how to fight off a r.n.c.

hammerfist and tell judge judy.

i havent been in a martial art for a few years and i know bjj works a little differently but no way id ever take intruction from a non black belt.

there seems to be almost zero excitement for the battle of the dinosaurs this weekend.

fedor emelianenko vs. brett rogers appears tenatively set.

ufc still tryin' to hold down the #2 middleweight in the world.

Okami vs. Sonnen is on the 104 undercard.
smh.gif

2nd best? no. that would probably be hendo.

but if working off of a record/performance based ranking system then he certainly is.

there isnt a middleweight in the world not named anderson silva who's on a roll like Okami.

EDIT: to make sure im not saying 'questionable things regarding mma' i even just checked sherdog. (EDIT2: and now mmaweekly)

and apparently they agree with me.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

there isnt a middleweight in the world not named anderson silva who's on a roll like Okami.

Demian Maia.

Okami's been a Decision Machine, too. At least Maia and Marquart are putting people away.

Okami vs. Sonnen is on the 104 undercard.
smh.gif
I see the gripe with Okami, but most people don't want to watch two guys hug it out for three rounds, let alone pay money for it.

For 102...I'd never bet against Randy, but I'll pull for Big Nog in this fight. Either way, I just hope it doesn't go to decision (and I'mabout 90% sure it will). I like to root for the Dean of Mean and the Greg Jackson game plan...I think Techno Viking will impress. Maia vs Marquardt is a tossup for me, I got Rosholt and Vera, and of course - War Munoz.

Also...who would just love to see Brett Rodgers KO fedor? I can just see the Dana White .gifs now.

a W is a W.

Okami's got more wins over higher quality opponents over the same span.
i see the gripe with Okami, but most people don't want to watch two guys hug it out for three rounds, let alone pay money for it.
im a bit of a purist that way. i understand the business aspect of it and the importance of putting on exciting fights but when fighters put inwork, i believe they should get their due.

For 102...I'd never bet against Randy, but I'll pull for Big Nog in this fight. Either way, I just hope it doesn't go to decision (and I'm about 90% sure it will).
for me the main event is actually one of the least exciting fights on this card.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

Demian Maia.

Okami's been a Decision Machine, too. At least Maia and Marquart are putting people away.
I would have to say that has to do with their styles more then anything. Okami is one of the best wrestlers to come out of Japan. He doesn'treally have the style to finish everyone but a W is a W. He maybe boring but I think he's the most deserving fighter out of all the middleweights to get atitle shot. He's been in the UFC a lot longer then Maia and he's gone 7-1 with his only loss coming against Rich, and from what I remember Okami almostfinished him. And if accounts for anything I do think Maia is a better fighter then Okami, but Okami is long overdue for a title shot.
^Did you just call Okami the #2 MW in the world??? I don't know if I should take that comment seriously??

I don't know why you wouldn't?... Based on wins and the roll he's been on he is, probably interchangable with Maia but it's not that farfetched. Rankings isn't done on talent alone.

a W is a W.

Okami's got more wins over higher quality opponents over the same span.
Enh, I'm not sure that's so true.

He beat a welterweight in Swick by decision before his loss to Ace. Then it goes McDonald, Tanner, Lister.

Maia took out Jensen, McDonald, Rock, and Chael.

That looks pretty even to me in terms of "quality".

Dana White/Joe Silva dont really reward decisions, as you can see reasoning for a lot of fighters getting cut. And they dont want a repeat of Cote, Leitestitle fights, I can see why they are waiting on Okami.

^ they were also hesistant to give machida a title shot for the same reason. who cares if a fighter is entertaining or not, if their record and skill are therethen booking should give them their due.

Originally Posted by BrOwNiN187

^ they were also hesistant to give machida a title shot for the same reason. who cares if a fighter is entertaining or not, if their record and skill are there then booking should give them their due.
This is true for the hardcore fans but you gotta understand Dana rather have more "popular" fighters and have them brawl out instead ofa technical fight. I mean think about who wouldn't want to see a war between 2 people (Forest vs Bonnar)

Okami is a great fighter like I've said before, but it's really hard for me to watch his fights. At least with Machida you're dealing with adifferent style so at least the hardcore fans could appreciate the little things he does, but Okami is just straight wrestling (really good wrestling though).His fight with Sonnen has the makings of a snoozefest.

Okami is rightfully #2, Dude is legit and has been bullrushin thru. Hes a slow starter and plays it smart like machida. he may be boring sometimes but he getsthe job done. Id say hes better than Maia. i liked that fight against tanner. knees were brutal.

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

Henderson is my pick for #2.

I'd even go as far as saying Maia or Marquardt at the 3/4 spot.

Okami at 5.

Yep.

I agree. Although Okami does have a stellar record, I'd probably peg Hendo at the #2, Marquardt at #3 and Okami maybe #4 above Maia. Head to head I thinkOkami's would outwrestle Maia to a decision.

it's only a matter of time.

featherweight will be added to the ufc for sure. possibly bantamweight as well.

barring anything outlandish they'll throw uriah faber in the fight to crown the inaugaral ufc featherweight champ.

a tounament would be great though.

Perhaps Dana White has grown a little gun shy over the years, with all the media miscues on possible TV deals - The Ultimate Fighter had several before it finally came to fruition in January of 2005 - but the UFC president has all but confirmed the promotion's intention to fold World Extreme Cagefighting into the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

White and co.'s decision appears to be more or less a timetable issue and negotiation between the sibling promotion's television partners.

In a rather telling exchange at the pre-fight press conference for this weekend's UFC 102 in Portland, Ore., White was asked about adding more weight classes to the UFC, to which he replied, "If we do any more weight classes, it's gonna be lower, adding lighter weight classes."

Asked what the chances of such additions actually were, he replied, "very good," and indicated that a plausible timeframe for the additions was "probably real soon."

When pressed as to whether that meant that WEC would basically fold into the UFC, White replied as a Cheshire grin spread across his face, "It doesn't really mean that, but..."

It really means that.

The official company line, according to White: "What that means is I've gotta figure some (expletive) out."

In a recent article on Yahoo! Sports, Kevin Iole suggested the UFC's decision to keep the WEC a separate entity from the UFC - fundamentally depriving fighters such as Miguel Torres of the biggest stage in the sport - was "one of the most grievous" mistakes that White and company CEO Lorenzo Fertitta have made in their eight-and-a-half year tenure.

Sitting on the podium in front of a handful of reporters, including Iole, White said, "I don't disagree with (the) article."

He added later, "Even with all the things that we know how to do and the deal with have with Versus, which is a great deal, it's still hard to make money and pay the guys what they deserve to get paid, or what they think they deserve to get paid and to run the business and make it a profitable business."

So what's holding him back? The complexities of TV land.

The WEC recently extended its television contract with the Versus network. The UFC, meanwhile, is under an exclusive basic cable contract with the competing Spike TV network. Add to that a potential network TV deal in the works for the UFC, which White has hinted at for months, and three entities are competing for Zuffa's attention. Ironing out those wrinkles appears to be the likely culprit in keeping the WEC in its current bubble.

It's an obvious challenge, but White says it's not insurmountable.

"I've got some (expletive) I gotta figure out," he stated in true Dana White fashion, "But like I said earlier, we've had bigger problems. I will figure this out."

MAIN CARD
  • Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
  • Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva
  • Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt
  • Demian Maia vs. Nate Marquardt
  • Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brandon Vera
PRELIMINARY CARD
  • Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Chris Tuchscherer
  • Justin McCully vs. Mike Russow
  • Todd Duffee vs. Tim Hague
  • Nick Catone vs. Mark Munoz
  • Marcus Aurelio vs. Evan Dunham
  • Ed Herman vs. Aaron Simpson
I say Nog wins via submission and Randy moves down to light heavy.

Back
Top Bottom