Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

If he wears one of these during his entrances.
nerd.gif

_iceUrlFlag=1

_iceUrlFlag=1

A few years ago actor Jason David Frank was used to hearing the familiar sound of fans yelling, "Go, go Power Rangers!" but now he's ready to hear the roar of a different crowd.

The former action star from the hit series "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" has officially made the move to mixed martial arts, and while training with UFC lightweight Melvin Guillard, he hopes to make his real fighting experience as successful as he did on television.

Frank signed on with Suckerpunch Entertainment recently and hopes to make his professional debut in the very near future.

"I was supposed to fight in 2007, but it fell through. In truth, I've wanted to put the work in until I'm ready," Frank said in an interview from the Suckerpunch website. "I know I have a target on my back. Everyone is going to want to beat up the Green Ranger. But I am no Kimbo; I've been training for a very long time. I wanted to get in there before, but I got injured. But I'll be ready when the time comes."

The actor-turned-fighter is adding a ground game to what he believes is already an impressive stand-up resume, but he knows it's a long road to not only becoming a mixed martial artist, but a successful mixed martial artist.

"My style was missing the ground fighting. I have my blue belt in BJJ from Gracie Baja now, but we needed to have that ground game integrated into Tose Kune Do. There was a blank there. So we added wrestling, BJJ, etc., to it," Frank said. "Melvin Guillard has really helped add the wrestling. I needed to get with someone who could put it all together for me, and that was Saul Soliz. And he's done it. He's a good, hardcore trainer."

Proud of his time as the Green Ranger on the popular television show, Frank is ready to move onto new goals, and he hopes to conquer MMA the same way he did television.

"Just to go out there and do my best, and prove that I'm a real fighter," Frank said about his goals in MMA. "I'm not looking for any titles specifically. Ultimately, I want to give my fans something to watch and be proud of."

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Originally Posted by MonopolyMan630

I say Nog wins via submission and Randy moves down to light heavy.
and of course they would hand him an immediate title shot.

Potentially excellent move from a business standpoint, but terrible from a competiton standpoint. Maybe thats Dana's way of Fing with Couture for holdingout with that contract dispute? Put him in with the shaved gorilla (Brock) and have him get knocked around for a bit, then feed him to Machida to Karate his*@* back into retirement?

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Potentially excellent move from a business standpoint, but terrible from a competiton standpoint. Maybe thats Dana's way of Fing with Couture for holding out with that contract dispute? Put him in with the shaved gorilla (Brock) and have him get knocked around for a bit, then feed him to Machida to Karate his *@* back into retirement?
Devil's advocate... what if this happens... but Randy wins?
nerd.gif

Like we always see it happen in the UFC (by it, I mean not necessarily the "best" fighter fighting for the title, but a good/great fighter with greatmarketability)... what happens when 46 year old Randy Couture outsmarts and outfights the real life Ryu?

Originally Posted by doyung9

Potentially excellent move from a business standpoint, but terrible from a competiton standpoint. Maybe thats Dana's way of Fing with Couture for holding out with that contract dispute? Put him in with the shaved gorilla (Brock) and have him get knocked around for a bit, then feed him to Machida to Karate his *@* back into retirement?
nerd.gif

Like we always see it happen in the UFC (by it, I mean not necessarily the "best" fighter fighting for the title, but a good/great fighter with great marketability)... what happens when 46 year old Randy Couture outsmarts and outfights the real life Ryu?

Never.

Ryu can throw fireballs.

2zezbpf.jpg

29z7fjp.gif

nerd.gif

Like we always see it happen in the UFC (by it, I mean not necessarily the "best" fighter fighting for the title, but a good/great fighter with great marketability)... what happens when 46 year old Randy Couture outsmarts and outfights the real life Ryu?

Never.

Ryu can throw fireballs.

2zezbpf.jpg

29z7fjp.gif
roll.gif

I seen Jason David Frank back in 2005 in some small show in Indiana. He fought some random guy who took the fight short notice. Jason barely won and I meanbarely got the decision. He gassed quick trying to throw all quick like he was on the show. It wasn't MMA it was a kickboxing match. Plus him workingwith Melvin is good for standup and getting the feel for MMA, but not ground game or wrestling.

nerd.gif

Honestly, the UFC would probably love for that chain of events to play out. In my opinion it would be terrible for the legitimacy of thedivision, but f the impossible happens...

- Randy loses to Nog
- Randy drops to 205
- Randy gets an immediate title shot at Machida
- Randy beats Machida to win the strap

The next decision is REAL EASY for Dana White.

- Randy Couture vs. Anderson Silva
- Anderson KO's Randy in the 1st round
- Anderson holds 2 belts at the same time a la Pride Dan Henderson

That would be a monster PPV fight if Couture and Silva fought at 205 for the belt. The only problem is, it would throw the 185 division into no mans landunless they immediately strip Silva of that belt. If Anderson were to get the 205 belt without having to fight Machida it opens the door for so manyintriguing matchups (Rampage, Rashad, Shogun, etc..).

One option I didnt think about though was this. If Randy loses to Nog and makes the drop. Maybe make his first fight at 205 against Lil Nog? Storyline wouldbe "if you lose back to back fights to twin brothers in 2 different weight classes, its time to retire"

Nevereverevereverevereverever. NEVER.............................never.

ill go as far as to say randy cant beat machida.

ill bet 50 dollars to every regular in this thread.

and if it happens ill EVEN ......stop using this SN so i dont pay any money out.
laugh.gif

but for real silva's probably going to end up getting a lot of big fights at 205 even without the strap.

they'll essentially give randy any matchup he wants on their roster untill his pacemaker gives out.

ill bet 50 dollars to every regular in this thread.

and if it happens ill EVEN ......stop using this SN so i dont pay any money out.
laugh.gif

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh Legend... we miss you so!

Any last minute friendly wagers? Me and my boys usually bet for something stupid like pushups hahahaha. It actually gets funny when you are droppin down doina set of pushups in the middle of a crowded bar while your boys are sittin their counting and clowning you.

Only other friendly wager I can thing of is sigs but I dont know if I wanna do a sig bet so I can forever immortalize Legend's famous last words.

Randy is GOING to win. He is in front of his home crowd and this is going to be an exciting fight. This is going to be a great card to watch.

I am going to see Joe Rogans stand up tonight, dude is funny as $%#*. Then off to downtown early tomorrow to hit the bars then got to the Garden for UFC 102! Iam so pumped the UFC will finally be here. Gonna be one hell of a night.

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

!%@ is this Wanderlei?
1070.jpg

sick.gif

apparently he had surgery?

first thing i thought was surgery similar to marcus davis.

what's the actual reason?

EDIT: apparently he did have scar tissue removal surgery similar to davis.

such a lack of hype for this card.

apparently there could be nearly 10 000 empty seats at the event tonight.

Some dude won a brunch with Randy on the radio yesterday... and he put it on craigslist last night.
laugh.gif

Sooooo many tickets on CL in Oregon right now.
eek.gif

I read that Dana blamed the economy on the arena being half empty. C'mon, we all know the reason half the tickets are still available is because is thiscard sucks.

^I felt so bad for Kerr last night. Terrible way for him to go out. His best days are wayyy far behind him, he needs to stick to training at TNT MMA and notcompeting.

fedor/mousasi was actually entertaining as heck.

all this silva/mir talk is getting intriguing.

silva still walks away from that one hand raised.

Last minute picks!

So my card is finally locked in for the event. Good luck to all other amateur mma handicappers like me.

In addition to the plays on Couture and Marquardt (earlier posts about the wagers and breakdownds), I decided to go with 3 other favorites.

$150 on Leben @ -125 to win $120 over Rosholt - Quite honestly, the reason I wagered this one was the value play. I was seeing lines on Lebenin the -140 to -160 range which was a bit too expensive for my taste. I was able to find action at -125 which I think is pretty solid value for an ironchinned guy like Leben. I think there is little question about Rosholt's gameplan. I would be extremely surprised if he decides to stand and trade withLeben, and if he does it could be a quick night for him. Rosholt should go for the takedown, top control, ground and pound. I havent seen or heard much ofRosholts sub defense, and although Leben is not a BJJ expert by any means, I think he has the edge over Rosholt and I can see him pulling off a RNC or othertype of sub as the match wears on. Hopefully Rosholt immediately goes for the takedown without setting it up, leaves his neck exposed, and Leben locks on aguillotine for an easy sub victory... actually... scratch that. Best case scenario (for me) is if Rosholt thinks his standup and keep up with Leben and hestands in front of him and tries to turn this into a kickboxing matchup. I would recommend a play if you can find it around -120 to -130 range. Anythingabove that the value is decent but not great.

$92.50 on Vera @ -185 to win $50 over Soszynski - I think Krystof is a live dog and has a chance to pull off the upset. My betting partnerand I went back and forth on this for awhile and we finally compromised to reduce our play and only bet to win 0.5 units. Hopefully Vera doesnt try to doanything stupid and keeps it on the feet with the striking and clinch game. The last thing I want is for Vera to take it to the ground and/or get taken down. I dont know if Krystof has the submission game to take Vera out but hey... anything can happen. If not a sub, he might be able to GnP his way to victory inthe hopes of an early stoppage (like the Vera v. Werdum fight).

$72.50 on Jardine @ -145 to win $50 over Silva - Another debate with my betting partner as I like Silva's chances here. If Jardine canexecute his gameplan and keep it standing and off his back I can see him pulling this out. -145 isnt great value as Silva has more than a punchers chance tobeat Jardine and we all know that chin is a bit suspect. If Silva closes the distance Jardine could be in a spot of trouble in the clinch. If he gets takendown, I think its BIG trouble for Jardine as Silva has a pretty decent top game and submissions. If you guys are playing with a limited bankroll... steerclear of this one. There are better spots for money to be made (Marquardt for example).

damn just saw the king mo kerr fight
i feel bad when is see kerr fight now from the smashing machine to this
hope he goes out with a win, retires and just trains people

Back
Top Bottom