Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

^That made absolutely no sense
laugh.gif

^ yeah i never claimed that it did, i just thought it was funny.
laugh.gif

it's just an article from ign that's promoting the ufc undisputed 2009 game.

Undisputed Open Weight Champ is basically best P4P fighter.

Fedor is clearly that. And as of right now is probably the best MMA fighter to walk the earth to date.

I love Anderson, but it wasn't that long ago he was getting subbed.

Originally Posted by illphillip

Fedor is clearly that. And as of right now is probably the best MMA fighter to walk the earth to date.

C'mon now, that was a FLUKE sub and you know it!! NEVER AGAIN will Ryo ever catch someone with a flying heel hook!

As good as Fedor is, he hasn't fought anyone worthy enough as of late to claim P4P anymore. That title now belongs to Spider, IMO.

On another note, Affliction has post-poned their 2nd show until possibly January in Anaheim, CA. It's not looking good for the young promotion, hope thisall pans out.
tired.gif

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5258/sources-affliction-day-of-reckoning-rescheduled-for-later-date.mmahttp://mmajunkie.com/news...eduled-for-later-date.mma

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

Originally Posted by illphillip

C'mon now, that was a FLUKE sub and you know it!! NEVER AGAIN will Ryo ever catch someone with a flying heel hook!

As good as Fedor is, he hasn't fought anyone worthy enough as of late to claim P4P anymore. That title now belongs to Spider, IMO.

On another note, Affliction has post-poned their 2nd show until possibly January in Anaheim, CA. It's not looking good for the young promotion, hope this all pans out.
tired.gif

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5258/sources-affliction-day-of-reckoning-rescheduled-for-later-date.mmahttp://mmajunkie.com/news/5258/sources-affliction-day-of-reckoning-rescheduled-for-later-date.mmahttp://mmajunkie.com/news...eduled-for-later-date.mma

He lost to Takase by Triangle. And I don't believe in FLUKE subs. What that +%#$ is that? He saw the opening and took it. He executed the perfect move atthe perfect time. You call that a "fluke"? Anderson didn't trip and fall into a heel hook. He left himself open and got subbed. PERIOD.

Fedor hasn't lost at all. And other than Hendo, Anderson hasn't really fought anyone that mindblowing.

I know Anderson is the cool answer right now. But Fedor has been best P4P for a while now. Until someone takes that from him, he still is. Beating Tim Sylviain 30 seconds certainly isn't going to change that.

You might be sipping too much of Dana White's Cool-Aid. Fedor has beaten the current UFC heavyweight twice. If you're going to put Cro Cop in hisprime, Nog, Randleman etc. in the same class as Franklin, Lutter, Marquardt, Leben, Irvin etc.......then we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

^The way Anderson DESTROYS his opponent >>>> the way Fedor defeats his. Minus the bout with Sylvia, we both know he hasn't faced a REALcontender in quite some time.

Yeah maybe Anderson hasn't faced a real difficult challeneger yet, but it's only because he is jsut that much more skilled than thepeople he has faced.

And by fluke subs, you know exactly what i mean.
laugh.gif
Name ONE other time you've seen a FLYING HEEL HOOK be executed and successfully applied like that??He was beating the #+$% outta Chonan before he pulled that off.

^name one time youve seen it even attempted. it was unorthodox but it wasnt a fluke.

if anything being so creative is a credit to chonan.

i gotta go with fedor as the p4p. he hasnt been decisively beaten and anderson has been subbed twice.

and that chonan fight was A LOT closer than people make it out to be.

Yeah maybe it hasn't been attempted, but that's because it's such a low % submission. This is a never ending debate, like illphillip statedearlier, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I love months with multiple MMA events
pimp.gif

Up next, UFC Fight Night 15 Wednesday September 17th, followed by the premiere of The Ultimate Fighter 8: TeamNogueira vs. Team Mir

MAIN CARD

Nate Diaz vs. Josh Neer
Mac Danzig vs. Clay Guida
Houston Alexander
vs. Eric Schafer
Alan Belcher vs. Ed Herman
Kyle Bradley vs. Joe Lauzon
Wilson Gouveia vs. Ryan Jensen

PRELIMINARY CARD

Drew McFedries vs Mike Massenzio
Jason Brilz vs. Brad Morris
Rob Kimmons
vs. Dan Miller
Alessio Sakara vs. Joe Vedepo

Affliction, Golden Boy Partner
Affliction and Golden Boy Promotions at a Saturday press conference in Las Vegas announced a landmark partnership through which they hope to improve the health and future of both mixed martial arts and boxing.

The deal between the two entities -- one a popular apparel company/fledgling MMA promotion, the other a high-profile boxing organization headed by 10-time world champion Oscar de la Hoya -- includes four pay-per-views and will begin in the first quarter of 2009. Though no specific dates were made official, Affliction representatives have said they have targeted Jan. 17. The relationship includes the controversial plan to commingle boxing and MMA, dividing cards evenly between the two sports.

Affliction earlier this week announced the postponement of its "Day of Reckoning" show, originally scheduled for Oct. 11 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. Ticket sales were slow, and the decision to delay the event was met with concern over Affliction's long-term viability as a fight promotion. Whether or not its partnership with Golden Boy puts those worries to bed remains to be seen.

Affliction "Day of Reckoning" was to feature a heavyweight showdown between former UFC champions Josh Barnett and Andrei Arlovski. Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio declined to comment on whether or not that fight would go forward as part of the first event of the Affliction/Golden Boy partnership.

Nothing concrete was provided on the return of World Association of Mixed Martial Arts heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko, either. The stoic Russian destroyer crushed two-time UFC titleholder Tim Sylvia at Affliction's debut show in July. He needed just 36 seconds to submit the 6-foot-8 behemoth. Emelianenko (28-1) has not lost a match in almost eight years.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/affliction-golden-boy-partner-14384http://www.sherdog.com/ne...-golden-boy-partner-14384

Sucks they postponed the Arlovski/Barnett PPV but very interesting to see a boxing and MMA promotion in the US.

[h1][/h1]

Report: Melvin Guillard arrested for probation violation

by Eric Foster on Sep 15, 2008 at 3:36 pm ET

Melvin-Guillard.jpg
According to a report from Sherdog.com, UFC lightweight Melvin Guillard (22-7-2 MMA, 4-3 UFC) was arrested last month in Houston for violating probation on a 2007 drug charge. This arrest has emerged as the likely motivation behind Guillard's recent removal from the UFC 90 card (see: Shannon Gugerty to replace Melvin Guillard at UFC 90).

From the report:
[Guillard] is in custody at the Harris County jail in Houston, the deputy said last Thursday, and will be released to a drug treatment facility as soon as space becomes available per the terms of his recently amended probation.

Details of the violation were not readily available.

After back-to-back UFC losses and serving an eight-month suspension for a failed April 2007 drug test (see: Melvin Guillard Tests Positive for Cocaine), Guillard left the UFC to gain additional experience before returning to fight at UFC 86. There, he won "Knockout of the Night" for his 36-second demolition of European fighter Dennis Siver. When discussing that bout with MMAjunkie.com Radio Partner TAGG Radio (see: An older, wiser Melvin Guillard), Guillard also discussed "new outlook on life," indicating that he felt he'd turned his life around, saying that the embarrassment from the failed drug test caused his family forced him to choose a different path.

"I got busted, but I don't care about the media and all that," Guillard said. "I care more about hurting my family. I embarrassed my mom. My dad, he passed away a year and a half ago, but if he was here, he would have been upset, too. ... I felt bad because I embarrassed my mother and my church members."

"I didn't straighten up because of all the bad talk. I straightened up because it was the right thing to do." Guillard went on to say "(But now) I'm sober. I'm not hanging out or partying. I'm just training."

Damn.
smh.gif

Dude is talented as all hell, he just makes very poor personal decisions.

Dude is talented as all hell, he just makes very poor personal decisions.
He's just one of the many knuckleheads MMA has. It's either they get into too much trouble or they act like hooligans outside thecage/ring.

Monday, September 15, 2008
by Jake Rossen ([email protected])

Further proof that perspective is everything: Affliction CEO Tom Atencio's announcement Saturday that his fledging MMA banner would partner up with Golden Boy Promotions for a series of mixed-discipline fight cards beginning in 2009 was trumpeted as a "major announcement" by executives.

And it was, for reasons we'll get to shortly. But MMA fans, spoiled to the gills with loss-leading mega-fights and a steady schedule of three or four-hour events, cried foul. They don't want boxing infecting their sport, to have ponderous stand-up bouts diluting their free-for-all wares.

It's a valid argument. Too bad they have things mixed up: Boxing isn't contaminating MMA. MMA is injecting itself into boxing.

(Sick of the labored medical metaphors? Good, because I'm fresh out.)

As a viscera-loving fight fan that doesn't give one red turnbuckle about the comparatively one-dimensional sport of boxing and who will absolutely be checking out for bathroom or snack duty at regular intervals during one of these integrated cards, I'm nonetheless appreciative.

This experiment isn't for me, or for you -- it's for a generation of ruddy-faced boxing purists who would sooner eat a boiled leather glove before sitting down for an evening staring at the Spike network, crude home of the human cockfight.

Atencio and Co. strapping themselves, Yoda-like, on the back of Golden Boy is a move designed to attract an entirely new demographic to the sport, one that hasn't yet had the UFC logo practically seared into their brains with a branding iron. It's a market that has yet to be directly appealed to despite their proven willingness to spend gobs of money when properly solicited. (The May 2007 Oscar De La Hoya/Floyd Mayweather snotbuster yielded 2.4 million viewers, over double that of the UFC's biggest single-night earner.)

These fans have disposable cash and they like when athletes get punched in the face. An unholy marriage this isn't.

Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Will Andrei Arlovski test his hand
skills in a boxing bout?

Reaching out to ignored (and ignoring) audiences worked very well for the UFC earlier this year, when Brock Lesnar rallied his pro wrestling audience into ordering UFC 81 650,000 times. That's a record for 2008 likely to be broken only by -- wait for it -- Lesnar's meeting with Randy Couture in November. It was the rare white flag from the sport, which usually preoccupies itself with a superiority complex and dismisses everything from fake grappling to boxing as spectacles either for mental deficients or elderly men resembling Bert Sugar.

The industry can benefit from this amalgamation, providing it loses a little of that hubris.

Critics mewl about the odd tonal shifts, claiming that boxing will look rigid next to an MMA fight, and MMA's stand-up battles will look awkward next to a polished set of hands on the undercard. True? Perhaps -- and perhaps boxing fans who have dismissed MMA as a sloppy bar dispute will be interested to see how someone like Andrei Arlovski fares in both areas, as has been rumored. Alternately, their interest in the "sweet science" could conceivably dwindle when it's mashed up against the more dynamic options available in a freestyle fight.

Dilution? Fact is, out of any substantial MMA event, there are usually only three or four truly compelling bouts out of nine or 10 scheduled. Assuming Affliction weeds out the chaff and leaves its marquee bouts in place, I don't see any appreciable loss of quality in the proposition.

The idea that someone like De La Hoya would strap on a pair of four-ounce gloves would obviously merge two disparate demographics together. That's clearly not going to happen, but De La Hoya plying his trade on the same card that Fedor Emelianenko is plying his -- certainly a feasible possibility -- is the kind of synergy that can only help both sports.

If the Olympics telecast can entertain 70 percent of the world's population by alternating swimming with judo with gymnastics, I think the fight industry can weather a slightly less jarring blend of athleticism.

Interesting. I know many won't like it though.

My predictions:

MAIN CARD
  • Nate Diaz (155) vs. Josh Neer (155)
  • Mac Danzig (155) vs. Clay Guida (155)
  • Houston Alexander (205) vs. Eric Schafer (205)
  • Alan Belcher (185) vs. Ed Herman (185)
  • Kyle Bradley (155) vs. Joe Lauzon (155)
  • Wilson Gouveia (185) vs. Ryan Jensen (185)
PRELIMINARY CARD
  • Drew McFedries (185) vs. Mike Massenzio (185)
  • Jason Brilz (205) vs. Brad Morris (205)
  • Rob Kimmons (185) vs. Dan Miller (185)
  • Alessio Sakara (185) vs. Joe Vedepo (185)

I am real jacked to see this tonight.

Diaz always is a joy to watch.

Guida/Danzig should be a war.

I would love to see Herman get beat. I cannot stand him.

Excited to see Lauzon again. Houston better not get caught because he can't really take a punch. I think that might be the upset of the night.

I'm excited to see TUF. From the previews I read, it should be exciting. Plus Dana's been hyping a fighter on the show as the "Next AndersonSilva."

^ Yeah, TUF will be exciting, I heard some rumors that Dana might have been talkin about Joe Duarte, I've seen 2 of his fights on youtube, he looks prettygood, walks around at 190 and fights at 155!

As for FN, I'm hoping that Nate Diaz gets the W, he is always entertaining to watch.
Guida/Danzig should be entertaining as well.
Houston better win, and I hope Lauzon wins!

Back
Top Bottom