Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

RIP Evan Tanner
tired.gif

Evan, you are and always will be an inspiration to MMA fighters and fans all over the world. You lived your life to the fullest and fought with the kind ofcourage and heart most fighters can only dream of having. We've lost a great man today.

I know you found that inner peace you were always looking for. I'll miss you man.

R.I.P. to one of the sports pioneers.

Evan, you are and always will be an inspiration to MMA fighters and fans all over the world. You lived your life to the fullest and fought with the kind ofcourage and heart most fighters can only dream of having. We've lost a great man today.

I know you found that inner peace you were always looking for. I'll miss you man.

Im finally back its been awhile guys..... R.I.P EVAN TANNER 1971-2008 you will be missed by your fans and the UFC/MMA community. My blessings go out to hisfamily. Tanner a legend of the UFC and MMA. Evan one of the greatest UFC middleweight champions.

Tanner wrote this in his blog a few weeks back:

Being a minimalist by nature, wanting to carry only the essentials, and being extremely particular, it has been a little difficult to find just the rightequipment. I plan on going so deep into the desert, that any failure of my equipment, could cost me my life. I've been doing a great deal of research andstudy. I want to know all I can about where I'm going, and I want to make sure I have the best equipment.

wow i just found about this earlier. CRAZY stuff.

dude was goin thru tough times, sad to see him go out like this.

RIP

sad to see, and im certain ill take some flak for this, but this guy wasnt a legend in mma and he never even defended that title successfully.

it's no disrespect to his life, it's just the truth.

always seemed to put in an admirable effort in the octagon tho. respected. RIP.

RIP to Tanner. Guy was a solid fighter and seemed to be a solid human. Tough to see him struggle through his demons. Best wishes to his loved ones. You will bemissed Evan.

BTW, that is crazy reading his blog and seeing what happened.

R.I.P. Evan Tanner. You know, I can't even be too sad. He lived his life how he wanted to and said !#%% the others. He lived a better life in those 37years then most people did in 100+.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

sad to see, and im certain ill take some flak for this, but this guy wasnt a legend in mma and he never even defended that title successfully.

Would it have killed you to be classy and just keep your opinions to yourself on this one? RIP Evan Tanner.

Originally Posted by 2pacalypsmNOW

Im finally back its been awhile guys..... R.I.P EVAN TANNER 1971-2008 you will be missed by your fans and the UFC/MMA community. My blessings go out to his family. Tanner a legend of the UFC and MMA. Evan one of the greatest UFC middleweight champions.
Co-sign.
tired.gif

RIP Evan.Tanner

Originally Posted by illphillip

Would it have killed you to be classy and just keep your opinions to yourself on this one? RIP Evan Tanner.
i see nothing unclassy about what i said at all.

i was simply stating the facts and did it in a respectful manner.

everyone does not turn into a saint and a legend in death, though a lot of people act that way. truth.

i even said i admired his effort and spirit in the octagon and that i respected him.

^ I'm pretty sure no one has used the term "saint" to describe Evan, but to say he's not a legend to the sport is borderline ridiculous. Asuccessful title reign does not determine whether Evan was a legend or not. The FACT or "TRUTH" as you put is that HE IS a legend to the sport ofMMA. And furthermore this is not a new discovery, he has been mentioned numerous times as a legend and pioneer for the sport of MMA. You are entitled to youropinion but perhaps it would be better suited to keep it to yourself in instances like this. R.I.P. Evan Tanner - A true testament to the definition ofWarrior.

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

I'm just happy I was alive and a fan during his beast days.
pimp.gif

i think it's easily down to chuck, randy and wandy for greatest mixed martial artist of all time.

say what you want about the pioneers of the sport but none of them could hang with these 3.

and quite frankly i think chuck's hit list reads better than anyone else's in the sport.

couture x2
belfort
randleman
silva
horn
overeem
tito x2
sobral x2

a shame he's done.

and im not just writing him off, im being realistic based on what ive seen from him over his last bunch of fights.

Fedor is the greatest of all time.......so far.

^ yeah i thought about how i left him out after.

he's beaten every heavyweight of consequence save for randy and maybe arlovski.

this is the kind of fighter that is a legend.

pioneers are pioneers. they got the ball rolling and are respected for that but they are not all legends.

fedor, randy, chuck, wandy, hendo, hughes. these guys are legends.

they've given the blood sweat, and tears and have achieved large scale success in the sport.

roll.gif

BAYWATCHIN!!!!

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Clutch is referring to my reply.

Ehh, I wasn't talking like Tanner was on Severn's level...absolutely not, so don't get that twisted.

Dude's a legend in his own way. I can't help but appreciate someone who does not have any formal training on any combat sports and is still able tofight on a high level.

just my .02

I can't help but appreciate someone who does not have any formal training on any combat sports and is still able to fight on a high level.

nah, i understand that, i never made any disparaging remarks about the guy i just thought some of the statements being made were a littleoutlandish.

that was my .02.

ive read on a couple other boards that liddell just got caught and it had nothing to do with him slowing down.

this guy LITERALLY BROKE VERNAN WHITES'S FACE. and now he cant ko keith jardine? id say that's a lost step.

I know everyone's been waiting for an answer...

[h1]Rashad Evans clarifies ****nippletwisting****, Bill Gates T-shirt and "showboating"[/h1]
by Dann Stupp on Sep 09, 2008 at 1:45 pm ET
rashad-evans-tshirt.jpg
If it weren't for his stunning overhand rightthat sent Chuck Liddell to the canvas for one of the UFC's biggest main-event upsets, Rashad Evans would likely be fielding questions about two othertopics.

Why exactly was he twisting his nipples during pre-fight introductions? And what was up the Bill Gates mugshot T-shirt Evans sported throughout this pastweekend?

On today's edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), Evans said they were just inside jokes that originated at his home with Team Jackson.

During this past Saturday's UFC 88 event at Atlanta's Philips Arena, as Bruce Buffer bellowed Evans' bio and name during pre-fight introductions,cameras caught Evans licking his fingers and then tweaking his nipples. The strange move has fueled more than a few forum postings -- especially since teammateand current UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre did the same thing before his latest title defense over Jon Fitch.

"Georges St. Pierre was the first do it, and it's just sort of an inside joke," Evans said.

Evans said St. Pierre had heard it was supposed to bring good luck -- according to some ancient fighting myths, anyway.And if there's anything the New Mexico-based Team Jackson group knows, it's unity. Led by famed fight strategist and head trainer Greg Jackson, theteam has created a sense of brotherhood among team members Evans, St. Pierre, Keith Jardine, Nate Marquardt, Joey Villasenor and others.

"Georges said it was supposed to good luck or something, so I said, 'Cool, alright,'" Evans said,laughing.

As for the T-shirt, Evans said it was also an inside joke with the team.

"That shirt, it's [Gates'] mugshot," Evans said. "He was arrested in Albuquerque, N.M. He started off Microsoft in the basement of theBank One Building. That's right next to the (Team Jackson) gym.

That's the only association right now, but the team is hopeful Gates could become more involved with Team Jackson someday.

"Maybe one day he'll be part of my crew," Evans joked.

Evans knew people might be confused those things, and it's been easy for him to laugh it off. However, there's been another byproduct from this pastweekend's win, and it's no laughing matter.

"It just bothers me that people are so quick to be so judgmental and negative toward me even when I win a fight," Evans said.

Evans, "The Ultimate Fighter 2" winner who pushed his career record to 12-0-1 with the win over Liddell, attributed much of the current hostility tohis toppling of a giant -- scoring an upset over such a fan favorite.

He also thinks some fans misinterpreted some of his foot and head work as showboating, which he said just isn't true.

"People are just so upset that I won this fight," Evans said. "They're like, 'Oh, those antics, he's such a showboater.' I'mlike, 'How was I showboating?' They way I move is the way I move. When I wrestled in college, I wrestled the exact same way. I have a lot of movement.That's just the way I move. That's what makes me feel comfortable, and people just get so mad about that.

"(UFC broadcaster) Joe Rogan is like, 'I don't know if Rashad Evans is trying to throw [Liddell] off his game or of he's trying to showboat.First of all, you showboat when you do something. If I haven't done anything, there's nothing to showboat about.

"I'm just trying to get my game going. I'm just like, 'What are you talking about?' If Anderson Silva did it, it would be 'superbtechnique,' but when I do it, it's showboating."

interesting read on a formula that determines the undisputed openweight champion of the world.

While it's difficult to track the origin of most sports back to the nineteenth century, one sport we can track the origins of reasonably well as a modern entity is MMA. While vale tudo fights have been going on in Brazil since the 1950s, and Pancrase brought back the ancient art of pankration in the early nineties, the easiest place to start when it comes to marking the starting point of modern MMA would be UFC 1 and its first fight, when savate fighter Gerard Gordeau knocked massive hosebeast Teila Tuli's teeth out with a kick in 26 seconds.

tank_1219346628.jpg

Best in the world?
From there, by analyzing who beat Gordeau, and then who beat him, and on and on, we can track the linear champion of MMA and analyze, in a somewhat serious way, who the world champion of MMA truly is. [table][tr][td]Champion[/td] [td]Method[/td] [td]Rd[/td] [td]Date[/td] [td]Defenses[/td] [td]Days[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Gerard Gordeau[/td] [td]TKO (Kicks)[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]11/12/1993[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Royce Gracie[/td] [td]Submission (Rear Naked Choke)[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]11/12/1993[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]301[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Harold Howard[/td] [td]Towel Thrown In[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]9/9/1994[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Steve Jennum[/td] [td]Submission (Strikes)[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]9/9/1994[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]463[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tank Abbott[/td] [td]Submission (Neck Crank)[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]12/16/1995[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Dan Severn[/td] [td]UD[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]12/16/1995[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]419[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mark Coleman[/td] [td]Submission (Choke)[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]2/7/1997[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]170[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Maurice Smith[/td] [td]Decision[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]7/27/1997[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]147[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Randy Couture[/td] [td]Decision[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]12/21/1997[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]308[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Enson Inoue[/td] [td]Submission (Armbar)[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]10/25/1998[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]462[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mark Kerr[/td] [td]Decision[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]1/30/2000[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]92[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Kazuyuki Fujita[/td] [td]Decision[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]5/1/2000[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]974[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mirko Crocop[/td] [td]UD[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]12/31/2002[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]313[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira[/td] [td]Submission (Armbar)[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]11/9/2003[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]418[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Fedor Emelianenko[/td] [td]UD[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]12/31/2004[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]1329[/td] [/tr][/table]What this sort of analysis shows is how incredible Fedor Emelianenko truly is. He's the only fighter with more than six defenses and 1000 days of holding the belt, and while he doesn't have to contend with the one-night tournaments that Royce Gracie and his ilk did, the man is simply a beast.
Harold Howard, on the other hand? Not so much.

Of course, you'll be able to determine your own linear champion in UFC 2009 Unleashed; you'll just need to create Fedor Emelianenko to do so.

Back
Top Bottom