[::OFFICIAL LAKERS 2010-11' SEASON THREAD Vol. It Was Fun While It Lasted::]

30t6p3b.gif

i don't understand this team sometimes

GM mentions the "trade" word Lamar has a 20/20 game... hmmm....

meanwhile gasoft still gets out muscled by smaller players.

Kobe is tight but I think he tried to do too much tonight.

Pau has big numbers on smaller players but still get muscled.

Kobe still efficient. Probably could have been more efficient.

[h1]Lakers' Ron Artest hopes for trade[/h1]

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

nba_g_artestr_576.jpg
Noah Graham/NBAE/Getty ImagesTrue Hollywood story: Being traded from the L.A. Lakers would be a dream come true for Ron Artest.

GM Mitch Kupchak, coach Phil Jackson and LA icon Magic Johnson just did what franchise pillars of their stature rarely do -- something Lakers officials never do, really -- by announcing to the world that the teetering two-time champs might need to make a trade.

Why?

Simple.

The Lakers have been so uncharacteristically public about the potential benefits of an injection of new blood because they know, with a league-high $90.4 million payroll and such limited trade assets, that threatening this locker room with a shakeup move is a far simpler gamble to execute than shaking things up with an actual deal before the Feb. 24 trading deadline.

However ...

I'm told that there's at least one prominent Laker who hopes he's the guy who gets shipped out in the next 20-odd days.

One source close to the situation insists that Ron Artest wants out.

Asked to react to that, Artest's agent David Bauman declined comment.

This is where I'm obligated to remind you that no one in the NBA can change his mind faster than the famously fickle Ron-Ron. Another pertinent disclaimer: Artest's play has been sufficiently sluggish in the second season of a five-year deal that whatever he wants is bound to be greeted by shrugs and scoffs, no matter how much he gave the Lakers in the epic final game of last season.

I've nonetheless been assured this week that Artest -- though he hasn't outright demanded a trade and is likely to publicly deny it -- is serious about wanting to be dealt somewhere "he can have fun again" less than a year removed from the pivotal role he played in that ring-clinching Game 7 with Boston that the Lakers so nearly squandered.

[+] Enlarge
Christian Petersen/Getty ImagesArtest's questioning his fit on the Lakers these days.

This much I can say about the source: It's not Artest's provocatively tweet-happy brother Daniel.

Yet many of the same complaints Daniel Artest revealed Tuesday via his Twitter feed were cited as reasons that Artest, leading into Tuesday night's home win over Houston in which he logged just 5.5 seconds of playing time in the fourth quarter and overtime, is hoping for a new address. He might have rewritten the way he'll be remembered when he retires by proving so remarkably reliable in the biggest game of his life -- while Kobe Bryant was shooting 6-for-24 in a Game 7 at home -- but the honeymoon sure sounds over.

Artest's two main beefs?

1. He's weary of being scapegoated for the team's struggles and feels that he's destined to always absorb the bulk of the blame no matter what happens because Jackson and Bryant are so dependent on the more glamorous contributions of Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom and will never publicly go after regal Laker lifer Derek Fisher.

2. As we heard at various points during his stops in Indiana, Sacramento and Houston, Artest is eventually going to squawk if he's being marginalized in the offense, which inevitably disengages him from his defensive responsibilities. (Relegated "to the corner shot" is the way Daniel Artest described it -- except that he said "regulated" and surely meant "relegated.")

It was stressed to me that Artest has actually coexisted better with Jackson since it emerged in December that Artest asked his coach to stop criticizing him so publicly and keep displeasure in-house. Despite Artest's increasingly regular stints on the bench in crunch time, I get the distinct vibe that settling for offensive scraps in the shadow of Kobe and Pau while absorbing the hottest heat on afternoons like Sunday when Paul Pierce erupts for 32 points has soured Artest far more than Jackson's frequently sharp tongue.

The reality, of course, is that Artest is not very tradable no matter how much he'd like to be relocated. Not with the way he's producing and moving.

The Lakers want to believe focus has been Artest's bigger problem as opposed to advancing age. They cling to the hope that he can still deliver physicality and reliability when the game slows down in the postseason and between-games rest can refuel Artest and others, too.

Yet it seems safe to suggest that the 31-year-old, producing career-low numbers almost everywhere you look on the stat sheet, has given prospective suitors fresh reason -- piled onto the old baggage that dissuades teams that don't have the Lakers' conviction or a Jackson to manage the situation -- to balk at taking on a contract that still has three years and nearly $22 million remaining after this season. Especially in this climate of widespread fear about how restrictive the league's next labor pact will be.

None of that, though, has convinced Artest to back off. Not yet, anyway.

Dare I say he's been fined too many times to get sucked into publicly asking out -- which is obviously a legit dare in this case -- but I continue to hear that this is more than mere venting and that a trade is what Artest is rooting for.

Which means the Lakers have 22 days to somehow find a destination for him ... or 73 days before the start of the playoffs to diffuse the biggest Artest crisis they've faced so far and get him plugged back in after essentially trading away Trevor Ariza to get him.

^^ These kind of distractions from Ron Artest, was what I was worried about when they got him.  
They did a good job to tame him, up until this point.  Now, we have a situation. 

Mitch Kupchak is at a disadvantage now.   

I still believe they don't need to make a trade, the problem is within, they need to throw their egos out the way, and play how they are capable of playing. 

For me these are the only good news.
Ron Artest: PPG 8.1 RPG 2.90 FG% 40
30t6p3b.gif

We got Matt Barnes to play the SF.
Go to work Mitch!!!

That's half !$% journalism at its finest right there. Show me where it says he wants out.

This reminds me of ESPN's "sources"...nothing substantial at all, so let's just go out on a limb and make this a story.

[h1]Agent for Ron Artest says the Laker doesn't want to be traded[/h1]
icon-comments.gif
Comments (36)

[img]http://www.latimes.com/includes/projects/js/jquery/jquery-shareify/img/facebook-16x16.png[/img]

(40)

[img]http://www.latimes.com/includes/projects/js/jquery/jquery-shareify/img/twitter_bird.jpg[/img]

(57)

February 2, 2011 | 11:16am

Ron Artest's agent, David Bauman, refuted an ESPN report that said Artest hoped the Lakers traded him.

"Ron is not looking for a trade," Bauman said. "The frustration is there among everyone on the team. But Ron is a Laker, and he just wants to win. Ron is frustrated with the losing, as everybody is."

After the Lakers' 109-96 loss Sunday to the Boston Celtics, General Manager Mitch Kupchak told the Los Angeles Times' Broderick Turner and NBA.com's Scott Howard-Cooper he was considering making a trade. The Times' Mike Bresnahan highlighted the limited trade options the Lakers had because of their "aging roster and cumbersome salaries," noting that Artest's trade value was low because of his season-long  inconsistency, his age (31) and because he had three more years left on his contract after this season worth $21.8 million. And though both Ron Artest's brother, Daniel Artest, and the report itself said Daniel  wasn't the source, he suggested on his Twitter account during the Lakers-Rockets game Tuesday that he was frustrated. 

The ESPN report stressed that it was likely Artest could change his mind given his fickle personality and the fact that his relationship with Lakers Coach Phil Jackson had improved ever since a Yahoo! sports report in December on a confrontation during practice between Artest and Jackson in which Artest voice his  frustrations with Jackson publicly criticizing him. Said Bauman: "Ron and Phil have definitely seen each other eye to eye better."

Add to that this Pau Gasol interview that was released today in Spain. It's in spanish of course but I wanted to post my source anyways. He basically says Kobe monolopizes the ball at certain times against big teams like the Celtics. He also says that is the BluePrint to beat the Lakers. He is also saying he's tired (physically) and he thinks he's playing to many minutes. I'm offically worried about this team. Not in panic mode but still worried.

http://www.elpais.com/art.../20110202elpepudep_9/Tes

Why cant the +$@+@$# idiots at ESPN just go and call Ron Artest and his agent FIRST to get their side of the story.

Instead of speculating and trusting a stupid source

indifferent.gif

Kobe wants Pau to be Black Swan

paublackswan2.png

Kobe Bryant had a talk with Pau Gasol on the importance of being aggressive, “It’s against his nature, he’s always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan

CP1708 wrote:
So you all saw the Artest article.  (which I hope he does get traded, I thank him for last year, but I have never been a Ron guy) 

But Ron and his agent are both denying they want out.  (standard procedure)

So Stein says via twitter, they can't say anything, they'll get fined.  So I quote him and reply back, very convenient for you and your "sources" 

Dude sent me a direct message to either unfollow him or ignore his posts then, it's a free country, he don't write what he can't confirm. 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ayo, Chris Paul wants to be traded to the Lakers, oh but, he and his agent can't say that, but trust me guys, I know things. 
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

#$%^ you Stein. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Kookcle

Why cant the +$@+@$# idiots at ESPN just go and call Ron Artest and his agent FIRST to get their side of the story.

Instead of speculating and trusting a stupid source

indifferent.gif
thats all this damn company does they never have solid news everything is pure speculation
tired.gif

"sources" my +*+

we'll need Ron in the playoffs, trust me

his physicality will wear someone down over the course of a series

Back
Top Bottom