OFFICIAL LAKERS 2009/2010 (57-25) 2009-2010 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!

[h1]Lakers' Bynum to return Thursday[/h1]
By Elliott Teaford, Staff Writer

Updated:�11/10/2009 10:59:17 PM PST

Andrew Bynum joined his teammates for Tuesday's practice, suffered no immediate setbacks and pronounced himself ready to play Thursday against the resurgent Phoenix Suns. A strained right elbow no longer was an issue for him.

Bynum sat out the past two games, a pair of ho-hum victories over the Memphis Grizzlies on Friday and the New Orleans Hornets on Sunday. He was injured in the closing seconds of the Lakers' overtime win over the Houston Rockets on Nov. 4.

"It's time for me to go out there and try it out," Bynum said. "No, I'm not going to be cautious. I went out there and banged with DJ (Mbenga) a little bit and nothing bad happened. No swelling came back, so I should be all right."

Even with Bynum back on the

[table][tr][td]
20090109_115936_lakers_logo.jpg

[font=arial, helvetica]GO INSIDE THE LAKERS:[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica]For the best around-the-clock coverage of the Lakers, visit our Inside the Lakers blog.[/font]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
floor, the Lakers (6-1) won't be at full strength when they face the Suns, who improved their record to an impressive 7-1 with a victory Monday over the 76 ers in Philadelphia.
The Lakers will be without Pau Gasol (strained right hamstring) again.

"I saw him upright today," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said, cracking a wry smile to indicate he was having fun at Gasol's expense. "He was on the (exercise machine). I don't have any hopes for him for Thursday, that's for sure."

The Lakers aren't the least bit worried about Gasol's extended absence. They would rather he be right for the long haul than constantly have to monitor his hamstring, which he injured last month in training camp.

Gasol never has suffered a hamstring

Advertisement

b

injury, and it's possible he hurt himself by pushing too hard in training camp after spending the summer working out and playing with the Spanish national team in the European Championships.
In fact, this is Gasol's first lengthy break from the court in almost two years. He helped lead the Lakers to the NBA Finals the past two seasons, which were sandwiched around Spain's silver medal in the Beijing Olympics in 2008.

Then there were the 2009 European Championships, which Spain won.

Bynum's elbow injury could not be blamed on over-use. He was hurt when Houston's Chuck Hayes swatted him on the arm in an attempt to stop him from making an easy basket in the closing seconds of the Lakers' overtime win over the Rockets.

"He didn't show any signs of his injury," Jackson said after Tuesday's practice when asked about Bynum, who averaged 20 points on 54.9 percent shooting and 10.6 rebounds in five games before he was injured.

Said Bynum: "We need a full roster for these upcoming games against Phoenix and Denver. We (win) these upcoming games and we'll be at the top of the West, so we've got to get out there and be focused."

if phil's not worried about Pau then we all shoudnt be worried about pau ..
i have feeling maybe hes just resting..or phils making him rest.

Originally Posted by CP1708

That team was so loaded.

Nick
Jones
Shaq
Elden
Ceballos
Kobe
Fish
Scott
Kersey

sick.gif

Stu lookin like groucho in that vid though, I had to do a double take.
laugh.gif
CP you forgot travis knight...the dude was ahead of the game...you want someone to get fouled...travis knight probably already did that andmore
laugh.gif

23MCpizzle23 wrote:
campaign slogan: DJ doesnt play for the Lakers the Lakers play for DJ
pimp.gif

already part of the cult...check the sig
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

someone should start a movement thread here on the sports and training!
nerd.gif

I'm on the MBenga train, straight to the All-star game.

From the General Forum:

He is a write in on the bottom of the ballot and will be listed under illunga-Mbenga Didier
However I did leave the starting C position blank for west so Mbenga will get an edge to start.
If you know of any other ways fans can vote please post so we can get those in as well.
We can Vote once daily

https://audience.nba.com/services/m...g&view=allstar2010/ballot&mcode=null&cid=null

text illungambenga to 69622 one vote per phone daily, so spread the word. also if you work at at&t or know someone who does, go to work on they display phones

[h2]Surprises of the early season[/h2] [h3]PER Diem: Nov. 11, 2009[/h3]

Comment Email Print
Hollinger_John_35.jpg
By John Hollinger
ESPN.com

nba_g_jsmith1_576.jpg
Joe Murphy/NBAE/Getty ImagesJosh Smith's refined shot selection is one of the many surprises already emerging in the NBA.

Surprise, surprise.

Two weeks into the new season and the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers are two of the four NBA teams with just one loss. No surprise there. But thePhoenix Suns and Miami Heat joining them in the one-loss fraternity?

Yes, that's a bit of a shocker.

I've already written a bit about Phoenix, and I will tackle Miami later this week when I'm in town there. Suffice it to say that I think theSuns' early success might be more sustainable than the Heat's. But those are two of the biggest surprises in the early part of the season.

But they're not the only ones. Moving from teams to individuals and other storylines, here are some of the other developments that raised eyebrows thusfar:

2411.jpg

Smith​

Josh Smith's shot selection
After five seasons of lamenting, "When will Josh Smith ever get it?"I'm pleased to announce that it appears he might be getting it. Through seven games, Smith has attempted nary a 3-pointer. In a related story, he'scrushing his previous career high by shooting 57.3 percent from the floor, and the result has been an All-Star caliber start to his season.

I'd like to give Atlanta's much-maligned fans a little credit here as well. Ever since the middle of last season, when they began booing andheckling Smith any time he missed an ill-chosen jumper, he's seemed much more hesitant to fire away. Whatever the cause, the results have been spectacular.Already this season, he's had games of 18 points on 10 shots, 20 points on 11 shots, and 22 points on 10 shots. Throw in his usual passing andshot-blocking, and he's been a breakout performer.

2754.jpg

Frye​

Channing Frye's 3-point shooting
As I noted two days ago, Frye has already topped his career high in 3-pointers. He had made 20 his entire career entering this season. Throughthe Suns' first eight games, he's made 22 while drilling 44.0 percent from downtown. Frye has always been a reliable threat from 20 feet, normallyshooting better than the league average on mid-range jumpers while taking the bulk of his shots from that distance.

I can't overemphasize what a huge difference the extra point on those shots has made to his game -- the mid-range J is the lowest percentage shot in thegame, with even the best mid-range shooters basically breaking even versus other options. But with Frye taking more than half his shots from beyond the arc,he's become a more efficient offensive player. He would have to hit 66 percent of his long 2-pointers to match his 3-point output, and nobody shoots it atanything close to that clip.

mil.gif

Milwaukee's defense
We expected Boston to be able to play some defense -- the Celtics were one of the all-time great defensive squads two seasons ago and not too far off the pacein 2008-09. But the Milwaukee Bucks? The same Bucks who were 30th in defensive efficiency two season ago and a mere 15th lastseason? That's a bit of a shocker.

Through two weeks it is not the much-lauded Celtics but the long-forgotten Bucks who lead the NBA in defensive efficiency. Scott Skiles once again hasmanaged to squeeze blood from a rock in leading the Bucks to a surprising 3-2 start, with the help of the league's most underrated defender and the additions of quick-handed point guardBrandon Jennings and defensive-minded wing Carlos Delfino.

One good example of Skiles' impact is how he handled Hakim Warrick against NewYork on Saturday. Unlike the others, Warrick isn't exactly renowned for his D. After a couple of soft challenges on Danilo Gallinari jumpers, Skiles yanked him just two minutes into the game. Warrick came backin the second half and defended the way that Skiles demands, and Milwaukee went on to win in a rout.

1026.jpg

Wallace​

Gerald Wallace's rebounding
It's one thing for a 6-foot-7 player to lead the league in rebounding. It's quite another when that player doesn't even play in the frontcourt.Wallace, the Charlotte Bobcats' small forward, leads the league with 13.1 boards per game.

He's benefited a bit from the fact that Charlotte games have a LOT of missed shots -- the clawless 'Cats are dead last in offensive efficiency and fourth in defensive efficiency -- but by any standard this is pretty amazing.Here's the twist -- he's having a really poor year otherwise, shooting just 32.1 percent from the floor with four assists the entire season. Yes, four.The scoring-starved Bobcats continue to post him up out of desperation, with little results.

1982.jpg

Kaman​

Chris Kaman's All-Star emergence
Nobody saw this one coming. Kaman won Western Conference Player of the Week honors while confidently stroking in mid-range jumpers to complement his alreadysolid post presence. Healthy for the first time in eons and showcased in a Los Angeles Clipper offense that's unexpectedly without Blake Griffin, Kaman is shooting 57.3 percent from the floor and averaging 22.3 points per 40minutes.

His emergence caught All-Star ballot creators off balance too, as he was left off the league's list of 12 Western Conference centers. Alas, he still hasa good chance of making a trip to Dallas in February if he keeps playing like this. One thing that may help him quite a bit is that, as part of theleague's ongoing effort to avoid hurting Tim Duncan's feelings, Duncan continues to be listed as a power forward on the All-star ballot. Apparently Idon't have the same pull, as my request to be listed as "Stat Sumarai" on my media credential was denied once again.

But getting back to Kaman, the ballot structure means Andrew Bynum will likely bevoted in as the starting center. So if the fans name Duncan a starting forward -- as they've done five straight years -- it opens the door for Kaman to bethe backup center.

110.jpg

Bryant​

Kobe's post game
As ESPN.com's J.A. Adande so expertly noted, Kobe's still doing work -- but herelocated his office. Bryant has only taken 15 3-pointers and made only three, but is leading the league in scoring by relying almost exclusively on a post-upgame -- even against bigger defenders such as Houston's Shane Battier. In fact,the one notable change about Bryant's 41-point effort in Houston as compared to other efforts against Battier was how deep Bryant was catching theball.

You have to admire a guy who comes back from a championship season -- the icing on his career cake, basically -- with a new facet to his game rather thanresting on his laurels. But here's the question that remains unanswered: How much room will be left for him on the block once Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol come back? It will be interesting to see how Bryant's new-found post skillscoexist with two players who already were fairly potent on the block.

hou.gif

Houston's up-tempo offense
For a team full of role players, they sure do seem to have an easy time scoring. The Rockets are ninth in offensive efficiency thus far despite a fairlydifficult early schedule, an impressive accomplishment for a team with almost $40 million in salary wearing suits behind the bench. Houston hung 61 in the fisthalf on a top-notch defensive team in Dallas on Tuesday before cooling off, and one wonders if they'll hang around at this level all season thanks toseveral second-tier weapons -- Luis Scola, Trevor Ariza, AaronBrooks, Carl Landry, and rookie Chase Budinger -- that combine to make a pretty effective offensive whole despite the lack ofa go-to scorer.

3997.jpg

Jennings​

Rookie point guards
I wrote about this on Tuesday so Iwon't repeat myself here except to note again, for posterity's sake, that rookie point guards almost always struggle before gathering their footing inSeason 2, and that this season's crew has been a glaring exception to that rule. Jennings, Ty Lawson, TyrekeEvans, Jonny Flynn and the gang are breaking all the rules about rookie pointguards, and if they keep it up and follow any kind of normal development curve, they're going to go down as the best point guard crop in history.

3428.jpg

Gallinari​

Danilo Gallinari's stroke
Look, we knew he was a pretty good shooter, but this? Gallinari is taking nearly eight 3-pointers a game and shooting a blistering 45.9 percent from downtown.We have supplemental evidence of his shooting prowess in the form of his free-throw percentages; he's 17-of-19 from the stripe and is now shooting 93.5percent for his career, in an admittedly small sample of 46 shots.

Nonetheless, the 21-year-old Italian sniper has been one of the few bright spots in an ugly start to the New York Knicks' season. If he keeps shootinglike this it won't matter how awful he is at defense and rebounding (and right now he's pretty awful), because he can take over games with his quicktrigger from outside.

2987.jpg

Bagnani​

Andrea Bagnani's breakout
Bryan Colangelo took a lot of heat from some quarters (ahem) for his $50 million extension for Bargnani, and certainly the Toronto Raptors' alleged centerstill has much to prove at the defensive end. But offensively, he's been lights out through the first eight games, helping Toronto to the league lead inoffensive efficiency.

The 7-footer is 17-of-35 on 3-pointers, but what's really made a difference is the new-found diversity in his offensive game. Bargnani has shown morewillingness to put it on the floor and even (gasp) post up on occasion, resulting in 20.1 points per game and a steady diet of closer shots to supplement thelong-distance game.

3224.jpg

Noah​

Joakim Noah's emergence
Second behind Wallace in the rebounding charts is none other than the Chicago Bulls' Noah, who has used a similar formula -- wiry, athletic guy benefitingfrom games with lots of missed shots to clean up around the rim. The difference in Noah's case is that he's also shooting 58.6 percent from the floorand ranks third among centers in PER in the early going.

It's enough to make him the biggest snub from the Eastern Conference All-Star ballot, an omission magnified by the presence of Philadelphia'sdesperately shopped Samuel Dalembert on the ballot at the same position.

eek.gif
smh.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif
indifferent.gif
ohwell.gif

I just heard on espn shoot around per phil jackson pau could be out till christmas.

Luckily Pau got plenty of rest in the off-season ... oh wait
indifferent.gif

Well, there goes HCA.

laugh.gif

Dah well.

Like I've said so many times already, people hype up our Bynum + Pau combo sooooooo freaking much, but... why? It never freaking happens!

And Pau come back around late December, him and Bynum play 20 games together, and then Bynum gets injured in late January/early February.

Watch.

Could be a false alarm.

Phil was ''probably'' using his sick humor and espn ran with it.

Yeah I haven't listened to the interview, this ****** (stuart scott) on espn made it sound serious.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Well, there goes HCA.

laugh.gif

Dah well.

Like I've said so many times already, people hype up our Bynum + Pau combo sooooooo freaking much, but... why? It never freaking happens!

And Pau come back around late December, him and Bynum play 20 games together, and then Bynum gets injured in late January/early February.

Watch.
dont say that ska
frown.gif

I mean it sucks and all, but think of it this way...

This could end up a blessing in disguise...remember back in 01-02 when we repeated? Kobe and Fish both missed a significant amount of time...but they camefresh for the playoffs and we killed everyone en route to the crown

not saying it will play out like that but just a thought...I do think we're strong enough to win the west even with pau missing a lot of time anyway

Kobe on Lopez tonight:

Man George Lopez got hooked up with some dope Kobe V's
pimp.gif

That NIKE Kobe signature jacket Kobe was rocking was
pimp.gif
also.

DFish at the end
laugh.gif

Thanks, Lakers! It's too bad you couldn't use a great defensive PG who is deadly from 3pt range to replace the ancient Derek Fisher.

articleInline.jpg

Originally Posted by ERASCISM

Thanks, Lakers! It's too bad you couldn't use a great defensive PG who is deadly from 3pt range to replace the ancient Derek Fisher.

articleInline.jpg
Yeah, poor us. We'll just have to settle with making the playoffs instead of staying home like you guys.

Bad trade-off on our end
tired.gif

Originally Posted by ERASCISM

articleInline.jpg
shannon-brown-300x294.jpg

avy check, get outta here.

Phil was only kidding about Pau.

Pau is still day to day.

No reason to worry just yet. (though, I'm inching closer)

Back
Top Bottom