OFFICIAL LAKERS 2009/2010 (57-25) 2009-2010 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!

mjshoefanatic:
what happened to yall in 06 postseason??
wink.gif

This is 2010.

2006 was in the past.

You don't... really want to bring the past into the discussion, do you?

And, I mean, I could understand if maybe y'all beat us in 2006, like you were saying 'Yeah, the last time we met in the playoffs, we bounced y'allout.'

But no. You got put out by the same team that put us out, just one round later. That's it.

So what happened in 2006 was y'all FINALLY made it to familiar territory for us: the playoffs.
wink.gif

just saying we could of had LA vs LA a long time ago if yall had of made it out of the 1st Rd.
laugh.gif
@ you foos thinking I'm trolling by bringing up theyear ya ll was mediocre as if I was lying.

live long and prosper

@ska

read between the lines don't allow hatred to take over.

This article is almost 2 years old but is pretty good because it sort of clears up a lot of things on how Kobe became a Laker way back in 96. Becausethroughout the years Laker fans, basketball fans, Kobe fans, Kobe haters, have all had different views and opinions on how and why Kobe became a Laker. A lotof people really believe that Kobe after he had his private work out with the Lakers where it's been said that he absolutely destroyed Michael Cooper andwon over Jerry West shut down the rest of his workouts and wouldn't workout for other teams leading up to the draft that year and that him & his dadwere privately telling other teams not to draft him because Kobe wouldn't sign or play for those other teams.
[h2]Lakers' trade for Bryant has been misconstrued[/h2]

CHARLOTTE - Revisionist history is always fascinating.

It's not always accurate, but it's fascinating.

The Charlotte Hornets drafted Kobe Bryant with the 13th pick in the 1996 NBA Draft and promptly traded him to the Los Angeles Lakers for Vlade Divac.

Over the years, that story has been told, retold and embellished so much that the reality of that trade and the current perception are farther apart than, oh, Charlotte and Los Angeles. It's a timely topic because throughout this year's NBA Finals between the Lakers and Boston Celtics, we've heard all the revisionist history again. We've heard how Kobe and his agent shunned the Hornets, threatened that Kobe wouldn't play for the Hornets, and therefore orchestrated the trade to the Lakers. There has been more talk in Charlotte about Kobe and the Hornets the past two weeks than there has been about anything concerning the Bobcats.

A look back into the archives shows that the notion that Kobe orchestrated the trade is bogus. Kobe, in an interview during the 2000 Finals when the Lakers beat Indiana for the NBA title, said emphatically that he would have gladly played in Charlotte. Sure, he wanted to play for the Lakers, but who wouldn't? He also said that had he gone to college, he would have signed with Duke, so he liked the area.

And those who were involved in the wheeling and dealing at the time of the trade shoot down all the legends that have developed over the years.

"The deal was actually done a day ahead of time, and it was Vlade for a player to be named," said Bill Branch, the Hornets' head scout at the time who still operates out of Charlotte as a scout for the Seattle-now-Oklahoma City Sonics. "If I remember right, they didn't even tell us who they wanted us to pick until about five minutes before the pick was made. So it was never a matter of us actually drafting Kobe."

The trade was more about the Lakers' pursuit of Shaquille O'Neal in free agency and the Hornets' need to acquire a center than it was about Bryant.

In order to get far enough under the salary cap to make a valid pitch to O'Neal, the Lakers needed to unload Divac's contract, preferably to a team under the salary cap and preferably for a draft pick. The Hornets had traded Alonzo Mourning the previous year, were without a bona fide center, and were well under the cap after renouncing the rights to free agent Kenny Anderson. They would trade Larry Johnson to New York for Anthony Mason later that summer.

The Hornets reasoned that they could come out of the draft with no better than Vitaly Potapenko or Todd Fuller if they drafted a center, and jumped at the chance to trade the 13th pick for Divac.

"When you look back at it, when we made that trade, here was a 17-year-old kid who had played in high school," said Bob Bass, the Hornets' executive vice president of basketball operations at the time. "Twelve other teams passed on him. We made a decision to win now and not later. We had Dave Cowens as our first-year coach, and I wanted to give him a chance to win. I knew if we got Divac in here, we'd win. I didn't feel the same about Bryant. Without Divac, I thought we might have won 25 games."

The Hornets won 54 games, then a franchise record, the next season with Divac.

The Lakers might have been high on Bryant, but this was more about clearing up the cap room to make a run at O'Neal, whose contract was up in Orlando. Marc Fleisher, Divac's agent, remembers that the Lakers had a trade worked out to send Divac to Atlanta for the 25th pick if anything fell through with the Hornets. Had that scenario played out, there's little or no way that Bryant would have fallen all the way to the 25th pick, so Bryant and the Lakers couldn't have orchestrated anything.

"There were three teams involved at first -- Charlotte, Atlanta and Sacramento," Fleisher said. "Sacramento didn't work out for whatever reason, and then it was basically Charlotte or Atlanta. They asked us where Vlade would rather go, and he said Charlotte."

Divac later threatened to retire shortly after the deal was announced, and that would have nixed the trade. But Cowens talked him out of that threat, and the trade became official. After a few more minor deals and cap moves, the Lakers had enough cap room to sign O'Neal -- with Bryant, 17, as icing on the summer-acquisition cake.

Branch scouted Bryant twice for the Hornets while Bryant was at Lower Merion H.S., but he said that the Hornets "never even considered him" as a player they would draft and keep. Bass was an old-school GM who liked to deal but didn't usually gamble on young players.

Branch recalls how difficult it was to gauge Bryant's talents against inferior high-school competition. This was an era before it became fashionable to draft high-school players, before Kwame Brown, Dwight Howard and LeBron James were No. 1 picks straight out of high school.

Branch believes that the Lakers' Jerry West was probably gambling on Bryant to a degree, because that was West's style. And if Bryant didn't pan out, the Lakers would still get O'Neal in the process.

"Jerry West might be the only person who can really answer that, but I just think it (Bryant's stardom) would be very hard to predict, because you've got stories of guys who turned out good and stories of guys who turned out bad," Branch said. "The year before, L.A. wasn't even in the draft and they made a move to get into the second round at the last second, and they picked Frankie King out of Western Carolina. They specifically made a move to get one kid. So when you see moves like that and then they go for Kobe, you've got to think they're taking stabs.

"And I don't mean that negatively. I just mean for someone to say now that they knew Michael Jordan was going to be what he was, they're kidding themselves. We all thought Kobe was going to be good. But how do you really know?"

You don't. And that's why the Hornets were never anything but facilitators for the Lakers.

Twelve years later, obviously, it has worked out well for the Lakers. But the Hornets didn't get coerced into anything.

Link:

http://www2.journalnow.co...t-has-been-misconstrued/

Originally Posted by Do Be Doo

Originally Posted by mrjdmz

Originally Posted by KB8sandiego

Originally Posted by mrjdmz

KB8SD..

May I please steal your sig?
Go for it G.
pimp.gif
Thanks bruh.
pimp.gif
Just dont steal his SN.....Becuase he will get
mad.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Lakers lost...
pimp.gif

--I dont generally feed trolls...but here we go.
--KB8SD thing has been squashed.
--And I dont know why your puttin smokin hats next to Laker losses. I actually want your Spurs to win as many games as they can. I wanna see the Spurs in May.Why? So we can pound those fools into the ground lke we did all decade and send them home packing.

--Where you at during Laker victories, which is what..78-80% of the time?

I watch every laker game and not once did I say to myself, "that bynum dude sure looks like the future of the lakers."He is not even consistentscoring over midgets. He got absolutely DESTROYED by Perkins ON BOTH ENDS.

He has terrible footwork, can not dribble the ball, and shoots a really flat shot. I have noticed that most of the time he does not really jump but juststretches his body to its limit to shoot over people.
His offense consists of backing down weaker/shorter opponents and shooting a flat hook shot. His game is so predictable that short dudes are able to challengehis shot sometimes. I bet his high fg percentage is
due to being on the receiving end of a kobe/pau/lamar pass and garbage plays than his 1 on 1 moves. On top of that he is lazy, no heart, and lacks athleticism(slowest guy in the league).

Mbenga is a better defender than him
eyes.gif

He is a good complementary player but not really an all star and certainly not the future of the lakers.

Originally Posted by DARTH DNZY

--I dont generally feed trolls...but here we go.
--KB8SD thing has been squashed.
--And I dont know why your puttin smokin hats next to Laker losses. I actually want your Spurs to win as many games as they can. I wanna see the Spurs in May. Why? So we can pound those fools into the ground lke we did all decade and send them home packing.

--Where you at during Laker victories, which is what..78-80% of the time?

Its all in fun...
laugh.gif

and don't worry The Spurs will be there in May and June...
wink.gif

And the Spurs play LA on Tuesday...can't wait....
pimp.gif

edit:
and you were the one who gave up on this team when the played the Kings when Kobe hit the buzzer beater some kind of fan you are....
ohwell.gif
grin.gif

^ --Gave up on the game. Not the team. BIG difference. We were playing like doodoo.
--Ska knows wassup.
--Its just too bad you coudnt come in here with smoking hats after that one.

Originally Posted by mjshoefanatic

just saying we could of had LA vs LA a long time ago if yall had of made it out of the 1st Rd.
laugh.gif
@ you foos thinking I'm trolling by bringing up the year ya ll was mediocre as if I was lying.
maybe we couldve had an LA vs LA series if you guys made the playoffs on a consistant basis

laugh.gif
@ you dreaming of a hallway series...not gonna happen cause you guyswill always be in our shadow and be the armpit of the city's team sports

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

laugh.gif
@ you foos thinking I'm trolling by bringing up the year ya ll was mediocre as if I was lying.
maybe we couldve had an LA vs LA series if you guys made the playoffs on a consistant basis

laugh.gif
@ you dreaming of a hallway series...not gonna happen cause you guys will always be in our shadow and be the armpit of the city's team sports

roll.gif

--My supervisor at work is a Clipper fan and I let him have his day yesterday.
--I'm thinking long term anyway...like June.

westcoastsfinest wrote:

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
@ you dreaming of a hallway series...not gonna happen cause you guys will always be in our shadow and be the armpit of the city's team sports

with Blake Griffin and a possible shot @ a big name FA in Summer 2010 that dream will soon become reality.
happy.gif

BOOK IT!

westcoastsfinest wrote:

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

with Blake Griffin and a possible shot @ a big name FA in Summer 2010 that dream will soon become reality.
happy.gif

BOOK IT!

Sterling is really gonna open his wallet again? He just signed Baron Davis.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

laugh.gif
You obviously know nothing about our cap situation in '10 so please take a seat and fallback.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

laugh.gif
You obviously know nothing about our cap situation in '10 so please take a seat and fallback.
eyes.gif
I do, but the Clippers and big name free agents never go in the same sentence, by reputation.
grin.gif

Portland tonight.

Let's see how this goes. When was the last time the Lakers won at the Rose Garden?

Originally Posted by 81ackMamba

Portland tonight.

Let's see how this goes. When was the last time the Lakers won at the Rose Garden?
The Kobe buzzer beaters game to end the 04 season.

Good luck this season laker faithful.

Homie, you always say the same stuff. When the Lakers beat the Clips, you start ranting about how Laker fans are. Then when your Clips finally win a regularseason game against us, you come in here inciting stuff.

You still a LA cat, you just wear different colors. It don't make you any different from how some Laker fans act just because you root for the blue collarteam.

I remember reading about Kobe and the draft. The Nets were going to take Kobe at 8 (eventually took Kerry Kittles) but then Kobe had his work out in LA. Lovedthe marketing possibities and living in LA compared to Jersey. Kobe came back to Coach Calipari and the Nets and told them not to draft him. Then of course LAand Charlotte worked out the trade.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by 81ackMamba

Portland tonight.

The Kobe buzzer beaters game to end the 04 season.
Incorrect .
Back on Feb. 23, 2005. Final score: 86-83.

And that was only after Shareef Abdur-Rahim's three-point attempt hit the front of the rim at the buzzer.

Here's all you need to know from that game: Tierre Brown was the Lakers' second-leading scorer that night. I don't even know who that is.
Link:

http://www.latimes.com/sp...010jan08,0,3357236.story

Tierre Brown as our 2nd leading scorer
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by KB8sandiego

Good luck this season laker faithful.

Homie, you always say the same stuff. When the Lakers beat the Clips, you start ranting about how Laker fans are. Then when your Clips finally win a regular season game against us, you come in here inciting stuff.

You still a LA cat, you just wear different colors. It don't make you any different from how some Laker fans act just because you root for the blue collar team.

I never trolled or incited anything(read carefully). One of your fellow laker fans posted up clipper propaganda and I just defended my team which any diehardfan would do regardless of the team/colors.

Back
Top Bottom