**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

It seems like some of you are going out of your way to throw shade at Kendrick and/or "The Blacker the Berry".

@OshKoshBosh and anyone else who agree with that.

You guys never heard the saying, "Treat others how you want to be treated" , "if you want respect you have to show respect" ? That's pretty much the message of this song along with the contridictions.

The problem with this mentality in regards to this subject is, as a black man, you can go out into the world wearing suits everyday, speak properly, be well mannered, break not one law, have an impeccable past, have a well payin job, ect. and some white folks will STILL find a way to treat you like a N' and act like you're a second class citizen. Of course you should go out here and treat others with respect, doesn't mean that will be reciprocated. That's the point people are making, there's nothing wrong with the bottom line of your point, but it's deeper than that when you're talking about race relations.

I knew that Trayvon line would have everyone going crazy.

All that aside this is clearly the hardest song released since 0-100. Kendrick was not playin around.

When did this respect ever come from "White supremacy?? It's have some respect from ourselves, Love yourself, your heritage, your roots.

It's just this, how can someone be proud to be black, follow a certain black culture, protest but are the same people damaging their community? That is contradicting.

You're upset because a black man is killed but you yourself kill black men too. We can't stop police brutality, we will never end racism, but we can control what we can control and that is minimizing black on black crimes. That right there is a great first step into unifying and progressing as a whole. How can that not be understood?

- Treat others how you want to be treated
- It starts with the man in the mirror

and so on....

because it's a broad generalization

So you aren't going to respect your mom, because strippers exist?

No, you respect everyone until that specific person proves unworthy.

That isn't a good analogy. I see this is more like, a priest preaching the word of God to the people, but rapes children.
You're preaching righteousness but contradicting that through your actions.

Last edited:
Hard *** song. I dig it. I was expecting something "different" and whimsical, and so glad this is the opposite.

When did this respect ever come from "White supremacy?? It's have some respect from ourselves, Love yourself, your heritage, your roots.

It's just this, how can someone be proud to be black, follow a certain black culture, protest but are the same people damaging their community? That is contradicting.

You're upset because a black man is killed but you yourself kill black men too. We can't stop police brutality, we will never end racism, but we can control what we can control and that is minimizing black on black crimes. That right there is a great first step into unifying and progressing as a whole. How can that not be understood?

and so on....
That isn't a good analogy. I see this is more like, a priest preaching the word of God to the people, but rapes children.
This x100

I really don't get how most don't see this. They go straight to he is catering to white people and all types of stuff.

It's true though
As an example
How a prostitute gonna expect to get respect from someone if she doesn't respect herself
Man real talk us as black folks dont even respect each other half the time
We talk down to one another
**** on one another
We always have that crab in a bucket mentality

And what exactly does that have to do with police killing us?

:rolleyes

Cmon ma don't fall for that. Respecting yourself aint going to rebuild infrastructure in your neighbourhood, fix your local schools, get rid of housing discrimination ect.

I respect my self quite a bit and even if i didn't I still should be treated fairly under the law.

I can't belive people buy this horse ****.

Nobody is arguing black communities to do better, cease violence on one another, unifying and progressing as a whole...I'm pretty sure everyone agrees on those points.

It is when those points are used in reference to situations of Mike Brown and Trayvon is where it gets lost.

Neither one has to do with the other....and thats why Kendrick's comments on Ferguson and his Trayvon line spark a disconnect.

as been said in here, the two are not mutually exclusive to one another so let's stop throwing all these comments in one bag and deal with them on their own accord 

Last edited:

It's true though
As an example
How a prostitute gonna expect to get respect from someone if she doesn't respect herself
**** on one another

eyes.gif

Cmon ma don't fall for that. Respecting yourself aint going to rebuild infrastructure in your neighbourhood, fix your local schools, get rid of housing discrimination ect.

I respect my self quite a bit and even if i didn't I still should be treated fairly under the law.

centuries of folks been conditioned to think this

finally listened to the track and it's cool....not feeling that line at the end + his interview so it has me 
eyes.gif
 overall

I factor it to him not getting it and not him just being knowingly ignorant so he's still good in my book 

Last edited:
It's true though
As an example
**** on one another

Who is this We?

So do you consider it respect when you make broad generalizations about ALL black people?

some black people don't respect themselves
some white people don't respect themselves
some women don't respect themselves
some men don't respect themselves
some Asian people don't respect themselves
and so on and so forth

We are not a monolith, and we should not talk like we are one. We get treated as one, but that doesn't mean we should refer to ourselves as one.

and so on....

How can you control what we can control?

How exactly are you going to have 40 million black people act and be as one?

Are all white people good and not criminals?

Are people just excusing the first two verses where he's clearly talking about white America and the long rooted history of destroying everything about people of color...

Why is that not whats heading the convo. How are ya'll mad that another black male is asking for other black males to pick up responsibility also?

Blame Kendrick for turning the attention of white supremacy into "blacks doing better"... while in the same sentence not realizing they are guilty of doing the samething that Kendrick is doing.. Passing the blame to a person of color rather then chomping on the real problem

:rolleyes

Exactly, back in the 50's and 60's we had all of that.

and did they respect us?

The bar will continue to get moved.

Chicago just had it's lowest murder rate in 40 years last year, but somehow it became a talking point of how bad black people are. Why? Did anyone even look at the numbers? Black people didn't even look in to the bull they were being fed and started spreading the same.

Are people just excusing the first two verses where he's clearly talking about white America and the long rooted history of destroying everything about people of color...

Why is that not whats heading the convo. How are ya'll mad that another black male is asking for other black males to pick up responsibility also?

Blame Kendrick for turning the attention of white supremacy into "blacks doing better"... while in the same sentence not realizing they are guilty of doing the samething that Kendrick is doing.. Passing the blame to a person of color rather then chomping on the real problem
intelligent artist indeed. He's got everyone's rustled

How can you control what we can control?

How exactly are you going to have 40 million black people act and be as one?

Are all white people good and not criminals?

Jesus Christ dude, Kendrick Lamar isn't gong to end the violence. It's better to try to put an end to whats harming us than to complain and do nothing about it, it's all progression. 40 million black people will never act as one, i said minimizing..not ending, these things will probably never end. All white people are not good, there are some that are and some that are not, but Kendrick isn't from that environment, he's speaking about where he's from, where he knows, Compton Cali.. you figure he would know a thing or two about gang violence.

Jesus Christ dude, Kendrick Lamar isn't gong to end the violence. It's better to try to put an end to whats harming us than to complain and do nothing about it, it's all progression. 40 million black people will never act as one, i said minimizing..not ending, these things will probably never end. All white people are not good, there are some that are and some that are not, but Kendrick isn't from that environment, he's speaking about where he's from, where he knows, Compton Cali.. you figure he would know a thing or two about gang violence.

What :lol:

Because Kendrick is from Compton doesn't mean he's right. Because you're speaking out on certain things, doesn't mean you're qualified or that people should listen to you. He has an opinion just like a person in Beverly Hills. And he's giving the same opinion as numerous Faux News analyst.

And minimizing issues how? And what is our issue, what you saw in a rap video or on your local news? Do you think white people care about other white people using meth? Do they perceive it as "their" issue? Is meth a white issue. Are poor white people their issue?

Most black people aren't criminals and go to work and work hard. Now how are we perceived by the media? Is that our fault?

For me to stop killing you, you have to stop killing yourself first is a laughable argument. Who did Tamir Rice kill?

It is NOT, for you to stop killing us, we have to stop killing ourselves, it is NOT that.

- The song is NOT about ALL black people, just the hypocrites and those who contradict their words and actions, like he mentions.

- Like i said, it's as if a priest is preaching the word of God, but touches children behind close doors, simple as that.

Out of everything i mentioned in the last post, all you picked out was that i said he's from Compton he may have a knowledge in what hes speaking about? But it seems like you arent trying to understand.

- We should focus on the treatment of African Americans AS WELL AS the treatment of African Americans to their own people.

But hey, don't the truth hurt?

Last edited:
1) Let me go on record by saying that Kendrick isn't giving a definite side on whether being a hypocrite is right or wrong, Imo he's simply acknowledging that this is a conflict that black men from the hood go through & self evaluation is still a problem, he's also in no way shape or form releasing blame from the powers above.

2) He isn't spitting the same rhetoric as a a "news analyst" because he is from those conditions and has been victim of those very same conditions. When anchors use the excuse of black on black violence they act as if it's just a manifestation of black people, a characteristic for lack of better words. Kendrick clearly states how society has victimized the black youth, Yet he acknowledges that although the violence stems from a white agenda, its for us to realize what started it and help bring more unity.

This isn't a black or white thing.

Back
Top Bottom