**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

Since everyones sharing their thoughts on the Trayvon line, so will I.

Yes its SOUNDS like the white pundits who say "Well what about the violence thats going on in Chicago, or this instance, gang violence in LA, its not. he is not dismissing it. He is point out the contradiction.

Most of all, black folks like charles barkley that do this, but in the wrong forum. You dont (as a prominent black man) share these views to the masses. It is not the time. Kendrick is sharing this with US, not THEM.

There's no way that Fox news can use Kendrick's words (legimately) to dismiss a cop murdering another black life the way charles and a few others have.

Dude you are doing insane metal gymnastics to give Kendrick a pass for saying sumb dumb ****.

especially when Kendrick said this same respectability politic ******** in an interview.

"But when we don’t have respect for ourselves, how do we expect them to respect us?" - Your "King" Kendrick

:lol: :smh:
It's true though
As an example
How a prostitute gonna expect to get respect from someone if she doesn't respect herself
Man real talk us as black folks dont even respect each other half the time
We talk down to one another
**** on one another
We always have that crab in a bucket mentality

Yes its SOUNDS like the white pundits who say "Well what about the violence thats going on in Chicago, or this instance, gang violence in LA, its not. he is not dismissing it. He is point out the contradiction.

Most of all, black folks like charles barkley that do this, but in the wrong forum. You dont (as a prominent black man) share these views to the masses. It is not the time. Kendrick is sharing this with US, not THEM.

There's no way that Fox news can use Kendrick's words (legimately) to dismiss a cop murdering another black life the way charles and a few others have.
Dude you are doing insane metal gymnastics to give Kendrick a pass for saying sumb dumb ****.

especially when Kendrick said this same respectability politic ******** in an interview.

"But when we don’t have respect for ourselves, how do we expect them to respect us?" - Your "King" Kendrick

laugh.gif
mean.gif
It's true though
As an example
How a prostitute gonna expect to get respect from someone if she doesn't respect herself
Man real talk us as black folks dont even respect each other half the time
We talk down to one another
**** on one another

We always have that crab in a bucket mentality
true.

the song tho 
nthat.gif

Another thing where yes context of who's speaking this matters ALOT.

Growing up in the hood you know, that things ain't fare, you know that your targeted by the law, you know that your way of living is far inferior to your white counterparts etc etc. You also know that all of these things lead to a lack of self respect.

Kendrick Imo is just trying to hold people accountable for both sides, like yea we know we are in a white supremacist world, we know the odds are against of but until we have the means to fix things on a broader scale, let's atleast try and get our own on the same page.

The alternative is what? expect all those who are benefiting off supremacy and hatred to one day say, yea let's reconcile and make things even?

When someone like him says we need to respect ourselves i see it as him wanting blacks to become more united and have less conflict amongst are community. When a Bill O'reily says something like blacks need to respect themselves i see it as him trying to dictate how a culture he has no involvement and understanding of should move.
This is how I feel about it. A lot of our problems are due to external causes, but we can do better in certain aspects. I don't see the wrong in saying something like that.

this is the problem with the way some people think

1000 words of this song are positive and dope as hell

but people only focus on the 10 words that can be taken in a negative way 

i dont think i am.

Police brutality needs to stop. so does gang violence. BUT Kendrick speakin about it in OUR music is different than talkin bout it on their stage detracting from the point of the injustices of officers killing us.

What exactly is wrong with that quote?

because it's a broad generalization

So you aren't going to respect your mom, because strippers exist?

No, you respect everyone until that specific person proves unworthy.

Kenderick just became Rudy Giuliani's favorite rapper

What exactly is wrong with that quote?

Because you put "them" in a place of superiority by saying stupid **** like that. They've been wiping us off the planet and profiting from us long before kids in Chicago were killing each other.

Who the **** are they that anyone's actions should be done with their "respect" in mind?

would be cool to see if K.Dot expounds more on this song down the line and that last verse.

Im just confused how you attack a majority...attack a system destined to take down your people.. "**** all yall"

and then at the last second call out gang members for being hypocrites...the smallest percentage possible of people who were out here in a rage for the likes of Trayvon

that math doesnt add up to me

This is the big problem I have with it.

I swear every time someone major goes at the white supremacist society - they throw something in there that lightens the fire against white people. 2 verses of anger against the system and 1 verse of "oh we gotta do better too".

Common did that poetry thing - he talked about "I Am Trayvon Martin, I am Mike Brown" but he had to throw in "I am the 2 cops murdered in NY". As if the situations were even remotely similar.

I'd love to see the intersection between actual murderers and people who actually cried about Trayvon. It's why I can't help but think it's a way of saying "don't protest about Trayvon/Mike Brown if you don't protest for gang violence all around America".

It's just disappointing that he has this kind of platform to send a message and this is what he chooses to say. He's going to interview about it and say exactly what he said on Complex. Exactly what Rudy Guliani says. Exactly what racist internet trolls say. Then we're gonna have this same exact discussion. Instead of having a discussion about the system he attacked with so much anger in the 1st 2 verses.

It seems like some of you are going out of your way to throw shade at Kendrick and/or "The Blacker the Berry".

@OshKoshBosh and anyone else who agree with that.

You guys never heard the saying, "Treat others how you want to be treated" , "if you want respect you have to show respect" ? That's pretty much the message of this song along with the contridictions.

Because you put "them" in a place of superiority by saying stupid **** like that. They've been wiping us off the planet and profiting from us long before kids in Chicago were killing each other.

Who the **** are they that anyone's actions should be done with their "respect" in mind?

Respect ourselves, rather than gang violence why not unify? This makes me think of when Malcom X said african americans won't really be respected until Africa itself becomes more establish, but that's another topic.

Here's the bottom line:

Police brutality is a product of the white power structure. That system has been in place long before gang violence.

Gang violence can end today...and white supremacy still isn't going to "respect" you.

Here's the bottom line:

Police brutality is a product of the white power structure. That system has been in place long before gang violence.

Gang violence can end today...and white supremacy still isn't going to "respect" you.

But would that not be a step toward getting/taking that respect?

Maybe you missed my last sentence.

White supremacy is NEVER GOING TO RESPECT you regardless of what you do. 

Yes...black genocide and the new jim crow absolutely needs to end...but not to get "their" respect. Do you not understand how bat **** crazy it is to be asking for respect that they've never given you and never will give you?

And hell...gang violence is a byproduct of the same system you're "asking" for respect from. That's bizarre. 

Last edited:
Alot of black people respect themselves and others.

That's not going to change the state of mind of the Darren Wilson's and Zimmerman's of the world.

Thats's where the disconnect is when trying to convey that message.

Last edited:
black people always wanna apologize and "change" for white approval....like that **** is gonna make them change their opinion and system

Yes...black genocide and the new jim crow absolutely needs to end...but not to get "their" respect. Do you not understand how bat **** crazy it is to be asking for respect that they've never given you.

And that's the truth.

I'm a give Kendrick the benefit of the doubt and wait till he explains that line.

Yes...black genocide and the new jim crow absolutely needs to end...but not to get "their" respect. Do you not understand how bat **** crazy it is to be asking for respect that they've never given you.
And that's the truth.

I'm a give Kendrick the benefit of the doubt and wait till he explains that line.
his interview months back explained that line 
laugh.gif
 ......think it was with rolling stones but I might be wrong 

Song is ******* incredible. I'm about to go for a drive just to hear this in the system.

Nothing wrong with the last few lines to me. He's talking about black gang members, gang violence. A small percentage obviously. It's clear that the entire song is black empowering but yet there's still an issue (in Kendrick's mind) that has to be dealt with.

Either way, This album is about to be another classic.

Last edited:
Song is dope and while I do agree there is no answer to a white supremacy type of mentality its just funny that some of you dudes are that upset about what he said the majority of hip hop culture is hypocritical beyond belief
song is flames though

Back
Top Bottom