**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

people actually don't like the track?
indifferent.gif

He's giving food for thoughts. Some people are getting so offended by his opinion or his initiation on starting something once people hear his album. Calm down folks. Over analyzing too much like a female

I REALLY wish he left the trayvon line out, but other than that I love the song. :smokin

Love seeing these young brother use their platform for a positive message...I hate that the radio is jus baking soda got some baking soda..I'm 26 and ain't really been feeling new hip hop lately...so this is refreshing..

Kendrick and jcole both made fans of me with their respective songs on the issues our people face...I love it and will support every time...

How can you control what we can control?

How exactly are you going to have 40 million black people act and be as one?

Are all white people good and not criminals?
I thought he was referring to gangbangers in that line.  I don't believe he was talking about all black folks in general.

I thought he was referring to gangbangers in that line.  I don't believe he was talking about all black folks in general.

No, he believes it

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...album-iggy-azalea-police-violence-the-rapture

Asked about the high-profile killings of African-Americans by police in 2014, from Ferguson, Mo., to Staten Island, he says, "I wish somebody would look in our neighborhood knowing that it's already a situation, mentally, where it's f---ked up. What happened to [Michael Brown] should've never happened. Never. But when we don't have respect for ourselves, how do we expect them to respect us? It starts from within. Don't start with just a rally, don't start from looting -- it starts from within."

He's saying black people as a whole shouldn't be respected, because of a few bad apples.

The black people who say this aren't talking about themselves though, they're talking about OTHER people. Because if Kendrick Lamar was mistreated by the police tomorrow, do you think he would say, well **** it, it's because some of us don't respect ourselves. No, he would be complaining about it. Because too many of us don't see that it could happen to us.

If respect isn't given, it needs to be taken. The bully picks on the person who doesn't stand up for themselves. They don't stop until it happens.

Starting from within is also caring that police are mistreating us, not making excuses for them.

If you share the same views on this as Bill O'Reilly, I don't care where you grew up, you need to look in the ****** mirror, because you need to re-evaluate some things. It's telling you something about yourself, because they aren't out for your best interest.

It is NOT, for you to stop killing us, we have to stop killing ourselves, it is NOT that.

- The song is NOT about ALL black people, just the hypocrites and those who contradict their words and actions, like he mentions.

- Like i said, it's as if a priest is preaching the word of God, but touches children behind close doors, simple as that.

Exactly. I don't get why people are getting all emotional about his point. He is addressing hypocrisy within the black community. It does exist...there are hyporcites in every community. I don't get why anyone is bothered by him addressing this. Those that are bothered are clearly missing the point.

It is NOT, for you to stop killing us, we have to stop killing ourselves, it is NOT that.

- The song is NOT about ALL black people, just the hypocrites and those who contradict their words and actions, like he mentions.

- Like i said, it's as if a priest is preaching the word of God, but touches children behind close doors, simple as that.

Out of everything i mentioned in the last post, all you picked out was that i said he's from Compton he may have a knowledge in what hes speaking about? But it seems like you arent trying to understand.

- We should focus on the treatment of African Americans AS WELL AS the treatment of African Americans to their own people.

But hey, don't the truth hurt?

He should write a verse about the millions of poor white people who kill each other.

except wait they aren't hypcrites because they don't have to deal with police killing them, putting them in jail for non violent crimes.

It's dumb stop trying to defend it.

Poor people commit violent crimes against other poor people and Kendrick is essentially implying that it's blackness that causes them to do that and not poverty.

A song isn't going to help those people and it insults there struggle to suggest that it will.

No, he believes it

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...album-iggy-azalea-police-violence-the-rapture

Asked about the high-profile killings of African-Americans by police in 2014, from Ferguson, Mo., to Staten Island, he says, "I wish somebody would look in our neighborhood knowing that it's already a situation, mentally, where it's f---ked up. What happened to [Michael Brown] should've never happened. Never. But when we don't have respect for ourselves, how do we expect them to respect us? It starts from within. Don't start with just a rally, don't start from looting -- it starts from within."

He's saying black people as a whole shouldn't be respected, because of a few bad apples.

The black people who say this aren't talking about themselves though, they're talking about OTHER people. Because if Kendrick Lamar was mistreated by the police tomorrow, do you think he would say, well **** it, it's because some of us don't respect ourselves. No, he would be complaining about it. Because too many of us don't see that it could happen to us.

If respect isn't given, it needs to be taken. The bully picks on the person who doesn't stand up for themselves. They don't stop until it happens.

Starting from within is also caring that police are mistreating us, not making excuses for them.

If you share the same views on this as Bill O'Reilly, I don't care where you grew up, you need to look in the ****** mirror, because you need to re-evaluate some things. It's telling you something about yourself, because they aren't out for your best interest.
That's a whole other issue that I didn't agree with him on, basically because of what you said. However, as far as the song goes, in the last verse, it just sounds like he was just talm bout dudes who bang. When Michael Brown was all on the news, there was this picture of two dudes from different hoods standing next to each other protecting a building from being looted, and people  were in amazement and acting as if that was such a glorious site. Forgetting that those dudes bang. Not saying they killed anybody or sell dope and all that, but for what they represent, I can't respect them. When after the fact, they just gon go back to doing the dumb **** they've been doing before. That's how I see what Kendrick was saying, or maybe I'm just interpreting wrong. 

Exactly. I don't get why people are getting all emotional about his point. He is addressing hypocrisy within the black community. It does exist...there are hyporcites in every community. I don't get why anyone is bothered by him addressing this. Those that are bothered are clearly missing the point.

They aren't hypocrites.

For them to be hypcrites it would mean that

The killing of unarmed black people as once part of a greater system of discrimination = poor people killing other poor people.

they aren't the same they are not hypocrites.

Out of everything i mentioned in the last post, all you picked out was that i said he's from Compton he may have a knowledge in what hes speaking about? But it seems like you arent trying to understand.

- We should focus on the treatment of African Americans AS WELL AS the treatment of African Americans to their own people.

But hey, don't the truth hurt?
He should write a verse about the millions of poor white people who kill each other.

except wait they aren't hypcrites because they don't have to deal with police killing them, putting them in jail for non violent crimes.

It's dumb stop trying to defend it.

Poor people commit violent crimes against other poor people and Kendrick is essentially implying that it's blackness that causes them to do that and not poverty.

A song isn't going to help those people and it insults there struggle to suggest that it will.
White people do get killed by police tho.

They aren't hypocrites.

For them to be hypcrites it would mean that

The killing of unarmed black people as once part of a greater system of discrimination = poor people killing other poor people.

they aren't the same they are not hypocrites.

No man you are missing the point.

The point is that when you are up in arms about a situation like Ferguson (as you should) you are decrying the senseless loss of black life. However if you feel that way about Ferguson etc but you are gang banging and murdering fellow black people you are actually contributing the same thing to society (senseless loss of black life). I don't get how that is lost on people in this thread.

We have to stop this ridiculous thinking in our community that we can't "turn the mirror around" on our community. It is this kind of thinking which is why it makes it hard for things to get changed within the community.

Last edited:
White people do get killed by police tho.

:lol:

You don't wanna play that game. Rarely does that happen. Police been killing black men for simply being black for decades. White dudes can shoot up movie theaters and live to tell about it. As a black man you can get your head blown off for walking down the street unarmed.

Song was flames.

I didn't necessarily see k. Dot picking sides in the debate (police killing too many black folks or black folks are killing black folks). I saw this song as a platform to address an issue in the black community. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't hear him choose a side.

With that said I don't get why in this debate you have to choose a side. It's like when I woke up this morning I had a whole bunch of issues to take care of in my life. I will tomorrow as well. And while some days it'll be the same exact problems, some days the same problems' order of importance will get switched up. The reality is that black folks do need the senseless violence in our communities to stop AND the police need to arrest black men, like they do other races, instead of considering them a violent threat from the jump.

Regardless of how you see it, I'm glad people see the problemS and have the discussion. I just hope with the talk, folks are doing something to solve the problem(s) that they recognize.

Last edited:
The song has people talking. Mission accomplished.

Dude is smarter than some people think. I'm sure he knew some people would hate "I" but he dropped it and it was all people could talk about. They even listened to it if they didn't like it, just to reassure themselves that they didn't like it. :lol:

In this song he has people debating about how he feels about the black community when his body of work is evidence, not just one song. And people are referencing ONE interview as if that's all he stands for. If you catch me on the right day, in the wrong mood, I might say something I don't quite mean too. Maybe that's how he felt in that moment. He's human. People make mistakes and sometimes say dumb things. I can look past it.

But all that said, how are we not talking about the first two verses?

Last edited:
I Dig the song good message it's basically saying what alot of BLACK FOLKS been saying for years including DAVID BANNER, KILLER MIKE etc ...."COPS KILL BLACK MALES THE SAME REASON WE KILL EACH OTHER & THATS NO VALUE" no matter how you flip it us BROTHERS kill each other over dumb ishhh....2 weeks ago a 19 yr old killed a 17 yr old over a PS4 controller down here theirs no reason for that in 2015 man real talk

A song can only do so much. In a few weeks most people will forget all about this.

Hip hop is littered with artists who've spoken out on issues as such, and soon enough it's swept under the rug as just another song in their discography.

Question....how are black people treated globally?

So why isn't our issue just a United States issue?

I Dig the song good message it's basically saying what alot of BLACK FOLKS been saying for years including DAVID BANNER, KILLER MIKE etc ...."COPS KILL BLACK MALES THE SAME REASON WE KILL EACH OTHER & THATS NO VALUE" no matter how you flip it us BROTHERS kill each other over dumb ishhh....2 weeks ago a 19 yr old killed a 17 yr old over a PS4 controller down here theirs no reason for that in 2015 man real talk

and a white dude just killed three muslim people....and?

David Banner has never said that

and KIller Mike has never defended the cops actions with that excuse.

Those are two separate arguments.

Everyone needs to stop killing each other.

And cops need to stop killing us.

Banner views =/= kendrick

besides that tweet you can watch his interview with sway and he never made a comment close to kendrick lyric/interview 

Maybe you missed my last sentence.

White supremacy is NEVER GOING TO RESPECT you regardless of what you do. 

Yes...black genocide and the new jim crow absolutely needs to end...but not to get "their" respect. Do you not understand how bat **** crazy it is to be asking for respect that they've never given you and never will give you?

And hell...gang violence is a byproduct of the same system you're "asking" for respect from. That's bizarre. 

^this

Who is this We?

So do you consider it respect when you make broad generalizations about ALL black people?

some black people don't respect themselves
some white people don't respect themselves
some women don't respect themselves
some men don't respect themselves
some Asian people don't respect themselves
and so on and so forth

We are not a monolith, and we should not talk like we are one. We get treated as one, but that doesn't mean we should refer to ourselves as one.

^that

Exactly, back in the 50's and 60's we had all of that.

and did they respect us?

The bar will continue to get moved.

Chicago just had it's lowest murder rate in 40 years last year, but somehow it became a talking point of how bad black people are. Why? Did anyone even look at the numbers? Black people didn't even look in to the bull they were being fed and started spreading the same.

^and that

Since the day when white people first set foot in Africa and threw Africans onto the slave ships, the respect was NEVER there. What did black people do before slavery to deserve being treated like animals? Cmon man :stoneface:

The idea of white supremacy that's been ingrained in people's minds since slave times is like a disease. Racial superiority is a disease. It's a mental disorder, a sickness. Fixing anything in the black community isn't gonna make pieces of **** who actually believe that their skin makes them superior, stop being pieces of ****. Yall gotta wake up man.

I agree that stopping violence in black communities is important, mainly because stopping violence in any community is important, and especially important in the black community where we're already dealing with white people attacking us out of plain hatred. But bottom line, the hatred from white people started way before black people were "******* up", and unless THEY change something in THEMSELVES, it'll continue even when black people "get it right". Irrational hate for black people is THEIR problem. THEY created it, and THEY need to fix themselves.

And you black folks that think you need to be better so you can be good enough for white daddy, or hate on other black folks but love white people, or actually believe that white people are born smarter or better or any of that ********, you need to fix yourselves too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom