**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

Him, Cole, & Ye are really completely destroying the sound of hiphop and helping change the genre for the better.

Him, Cole, & Ye are really completely destroying the sound of hiphop and helping change the genre for the better.
I personally couldn't stand Kanye's last project. Not that I think of him as a rap god period like some others do, but that is besides the point.

I'll agree with you on the other two though. Completely different sound that is embracing the MUSIC, sonically, as well as lyrics. Good change. 

I kind of don't even want to mention his name because dudes really get bent out of shape whenever it's mentioned on here in (in both directions).

But whether you liked the project or not you cannot deny that the Yeezus album sounds nothing like traditional hiphop & that's the point i'm making. That album coming from arguably the biggest name in hiphop, diversified what hiphop can sound like.

The same way that this Kendrick song isn't set up anywhere near what a typical hiphop track should sound like my general consensus. The same way J.Cole "Be Free" isn't set up like anything in rap right now.

These three are completely diversifying the image of what hiphop artist can sound like and what their performances can consist of. That's the only point i'm making.

The same way yeezus infused hiphop with heavy EDM & rock samples, Kendricks first two songs seem to be infusing a heavy jazz & funk sound. To the point where one can argue if this is even a hiphop song at all.

Yeezus was a failed experiment. Most of the beats was trash and outside maybe 3 songs he's not saying anything. Kendrick is making it work and still being a dope rapper. He ain't even doing nothing that different from what he's been doing. Ab-Soul Outro and Real are not typical Hip Hop sounding records. Section80 is filled with different sounds. It's just that now more people are paying attention cuz he's putting those type of songs out as singles.

Last edited:
I kind of don't even want to mention his name because dudes really get bent out of shape whenever it's mentioned on here in (in both directions).

But whether you liked the project or not you cannot deny that the Yeezus album sounds nothing like traditional hiphop & that's the point i'm making. That album coming from arguably the biggest name in hiphop, diversified what hiphop can sound like.

The same way that this Kendrick song isn't set up anywhere near what a typical hiphop track should sound like my general consensus. The same way J.Cole "Be Free" isn't set up like anything in rap right now.

These three are completely diversifying the image of what hiphop artist can sound like and what their performances can consist of. That's the only point i'm making.

The same way yeezus infused hiphop with heavy EDM & rock samples, Kendricks first two songs seem to be infusing a heavy jazz & funk sound. To the point where one can argue if this is even a hiphop song at all.
Ok, yeah, totally get your point now.

However, if you go back where did hiphop start and get its music from? Jazz/Funk/etc right? Seems to be coming full circle if anything. 

Its just that these BIG stars have gained the attention of the masses. Look at Cole, Logic, Dizzy, etc. They arguably are who they are because of the internet. 

I love what everyone is doing now and its interesting to think, are we ACTUALLY in a hiphop renaissance right now? Is the new golden age actually happening?

You crazy if you don't think Ye isn't bring a new sound to Hip Hop.

Death Grips already did what ye was trying to do and it still sucks.

Jazz and Funk isn't new to hip-hop AT ALL. "Be Free" wasn't a rap record at all until Cole performed on Letterman with a rap verse on it, the original was straight singing and even then I wouldn't really call it a rap record. And Rick Rubin has been using heavy rock samples in hip-hop records for years.

Jazz and Funk isn't new to hip-hop AT ALL. "Be Free" wasn't a rap record at all until Cole performed on Letterman with a rap verse on it, the original was straight singing and even then I wouldn't really call it a rap record. And Rick Rubin has been using heavy rock samples in hip-hop records for years.
The usage of the sounds aren't new, but the sounds are period. Can't say nothing, cuz I don't listen to everything, but much just doesn't sound like Yeezus, whether anyone like the record or not.

The usage of the sounds aren't new, but the sounds are period. Can't say nothing, cuz I don't listen to everything, but much just doesn't sound like Yeezus, whether anyone like the record or not.

You can say that about so much music out there but let me guess, because ye is ye it's different? And even if it is a new "sound" on one album as you say, it doesn't mean it's going to linger and last, ye prolly won't even use that again.

You can say that about so much music out there but let me guess, because ye is ye it's different? And even if it is a new "sound" on one album as you say, it doesn't mean it's going to linger and last, ye prolly won't even use that again.
It aint got nothing to do with it coming from Ye. Show me other artists music that sounds like Yeezus and I'll shut up and say I'm wrong.

It aint got nothing to do with it coming from Ye. Show me other artists music that sounds like Yeezus and I'll shut up and say I'm wrong.

Already threw out death grips which you can arguably say he bit but that's not the point. I was saying you can point numerous artist who have a "different" sound in hip-hop but it doesn't mean anything, there's thousands of indie artist with numerous sounds.

Just because its different doesnt mean it's good or improving the genre.

Experimenting on any level and giving someone a different color pallet to use is infinitely better than forcing the same ideas and concepts over and over tho so it does help the culture.

Someone could look at yeezus and say this overall was trash, but the use of this sound, or this kind of chorus i like that idea and i can improve on that to make it complete and come out much better. That lifts the culture. Especially in hiphop where anytime someone goes outside the norm people tend to trash it. (Hell look at the reception I got when it first dropped).

So yea a record may not be good but if it expands somebodies range of ideas it's GREAT for the culture because someone can take a sample of your sound and come in with something dope. Hence 808's & heartbreaks.... that dropped not everyone liked it.... however many artist did take bits and pieces from it and created enhanced and tweaked versions of it.

Already threw out death grips which you can arguably say he bit but that's not the point. I was saying you can point numerous artist who have a "different" sound in hip-hop but it doesn't mean anything, there's thousands of indie artist with numerous sounds.

And those indie artist are just that indie artist... you don't change a culture by a handful of relatively unknown artist tweaking their sounds.

Cole & Kendrick ain't the first too talk on social issues in rap, but they are two of the biggest artist in the genre, so when they change the direction of mainstream rap, and they are the ones constantly displayed, it gives thousand of other artist out there the ability to take parts of the music they like & improve on it or change.

so yea some obscure band or rapper may have done something like this, but their lack of notoriety makes it difficult for others to use it as inspiration, therefore limiting the amount of creativeness the overall culture can gain from it.

Death grips could make great music, fact of the matter is most typical hiphop listeners won't know death grips, they will however see Kanye West, Kendrick, Cole & think to themselves man i'm not just subjected to the use of 808's & turning up. ther's other ways.

This new song just proves that Kendrick is not from this planet
sick.gif

It's literally like he's talking as an Alien defining every race and their ulterior motives
Hit the bank and withdraw, hit the bank and withdraw
Put myself in a rocket ship and I shot for the stars
Tell me what you're accomplishing, where you're setting the bar?

Bruh....my ex was tryna to hype him up way back when and I was like wait "the dude who made 'Michael Jordan'? Hell nah, he wack as ****"
Son, that **** was the worst song ever to me..... but after revisiting the album a couple years, I bumped it crazy in the whip. That bass obnoxious.
It still ****** until School Boy Q comes in
" told her mary was a go, so we passed her round and round...."

Back
Top Bottom