+++OFFICIAL JAY Z THREAD+++

Lyrics, is this what we do now, forgo singles and drop lyrics?! Is that whats hot in the streets, having ****** anticipate your ******g rhymes?! I'm bootlegging the .apk, **** this man *drops mic*

mean.gif
#newRules

Jay said "**** a single, I'm giving y'all lyrics on paper." :lol:

I'm not reading no damn lyrics, I can wait till the album drops.

Come up for air Bosh. Even at his "peak", he was only a bit better than marginal. Constantly pumping out 15 mixtapes a year over a long period of time, including never-ending freestyles just means you are in the studio a lot and have a very good work ethic, that's. He has a large catalog...ok? So does Papoose (mixtape wise) and Pastor Troy (not dissing Troy). He's been absolutely embarrassing for nearly 6 years now, had a 4 year period of labeling himself as "best rapper alive" (LOL yea, Nas, Jay, Em, and like 15 other rappers were dead during that time apparently), and the majority of the rest of that time had verses sandwiched between Juvenile, BG, and Turk, and even Mannie Fresh & Birdman to hide his limitations. He'll only go down as a g.o.a.t. when he dies cause he's fans will overrate the hell out of him like they do now. Hopefully he lives another 50+ years so his music and influence can just fade away into obscurity, cause a swift death for him would have you and his other drone-like fans to put him in front of Nas, Biggie, Pun, Jay, Rakim, etc.

While everything you said may be true, he'll still go down as one of the greatest of all time when he's done.

And not by fans either. All of these hip hop blogs, Rolling Stone, Rap-Up, Pitchfork, XXL, Fader, All of these publications that carry weight will call him one of the greats.

Music is subjective, but what isn't subjective, is the run that he had and how culture changing he was in the mid 2000's. He individually brought mixtapes back to prominence, and had everyone in the industry and fans alike anticipating his next leak. It was almost like he was an indy artist again and after everyone on CM left, he literally manufactured one of the biggest buzzes ever off of his mixtapes. (For the record, he only released like one or two mixtapes during this time, all those others were a product of leaks and DJ's. Non officials)

He had pop culture in a headlock. Most importantly, his run put out two 1,000,000 first week albums. That's legendary. I doubt we'll see another artist anytime soon doing that. He did that in the middle of the download era. He ushered in the practice of giving music away for free, building a loyal fanbase through that, and they'll respond when you want them to buy something. And to cap it off, he won a grammy.

Like it or not, that's the stuff of legend.

Lyrics, is this what we do now, forgo singles and drop lyrics?! Is that whats hot in the streets, having ****** anticipate your ******g rhymes?! I'm bootlegging the .apk, **** this man *drops mic*

mean.gif
So rapping ISN'T about lyrics now? "Is that what's hot in the streets"? You sound ridiculous man.

While everything you said may be true, he'll still go down as one of the greatest of all time when he's done.

And not by fans either. All of these hip hop blogs, Rolling Stone, Rap-Up, Pitchfork, XXL, Fader, All of these publications that carry weight will call him one of the greats.

Music is subjective, but what isn't subjective, is the run that he had and how culture changing he was in the mid 2000's. He individually brought mixtapes back to prominence, and had everyone in the industry and fans alike anticipating his next leak. It was almost like he was an indy artist again and after everyone on CM left, he literally manufactured one of the biggest buzzes ever off of his mixtapes. (For the record, he only released like one or two mixtapes during this time, all those others were a product of leaks and DJ's. Non officials)

He had pop culture in a headlock. Most importantly, his run put out two 1,000,000 first week albums. That's legendary. I doubt we'll see another artist anytime soon doing that. He did that in the middle of the download era. He ushered in the practice of giving music away for free, building a loyal fanbase through that, and they'll respond when you want them to buy something. And to cap it off, he won a grammy.

Like it or not, that's the stuff of legend.
Pop culture relevancy and sales has no bearing in this conversation though. And he wasn't the only one dropping mix tapes during this time period, nor did he individually bring mix tapes back to prominence. Jeezy, Joe Budden, Papoose, amongst others were dropping mix tapes that were eagerly anticipated by many. 

They just didn't have the teeny boppers because they weren't as marketable as Wayne was. With his clothing style, appearance and elementary punchlines/rhymes it was easy to market him. Once he started claiming he was the best rapper alive people ran with it. It was complete sheep mentality. 

And if Wayne is a legend, Em must be the GOAT time by default? No? He did the 1.76 in a week off of MM LP. Eminem Show did 300K in a day, and 1.3 that first week. He went diamond. TWICE. That doesn't change the fact that Em, for the span of two album, was putting out nonsense. It tarnished how good he could have been and tarnished his LEGEND. Wayne was never as good as Em and never put out material that touched Em's first few albums, and he gets a pass for being pathetic the last 4 years...nope.

Pop culture relevancy and sales has no bearing in this conversation though. And he wasn't the only one dropping mix tapes during this time period, nor did he individually bring mix tapes back to prominence. Jeezy, Joe Budden, Papoose, amongst others were dropping mix tapes that were eagerly anticipated by many. 

They just didn't have the teeny boppers because they weren't as marketable as Wayne was. With his clothing style, appearance and elementary punchlines/rhymes it was easy to market him. Once he started claiming he was the best rapper alive people ran with it. It was complete sheep mentality. 

And if Wayne is a legend, Em must be the GOAT time by default? No? He did the 1.76 in a week off of MM LP. Eminem Show did 300K in a day, and 1.3 that first week. He went diamond. TWICE. That doesn't change the fact that Em, for the span of two album, was putting out nonsense. It tarnished how good he could have been and tarnished his LEGEND. Wayne was never as good as Em and never put out material that touched Em's first few albums, and he gets a pass for being pathetic the last 4 years...nope.

Man I'm not disagreeing with anything you said. I don't even like Wayne :lol: I think he's cleverly stupid.

All I was saying is that without a doubt wayne will go down as one of the greatest. When we talk about the greatest, he has to be in the discussion at least. Now if you ask who's better between wayne and someone else? That's a different discussion.

And pap and budden didn't impact the mixtape game nearly on the level wayne did. Not even close. Wayne had mixtape leaks on the radio. He put mixtapes in a totally different light. Before wayne only hiphop internet die hards listened to mixtapes. They almost became albums with wayne (and later with Drake)

Man I'm not disagreeing with anything you said. I don't even like Wayne
laugh.gif
I think he's cleverly stupid.

All I was saying is that without a doubt wayne will go down as one of the greatest. When we talk about the greatest, he has to be in the discussion at least. Now if you ask who's better between wayne and someone else? That's a different discussion.

And pap and budden didn't impact the mixtape game nearly on the level wayne did. Not even close. Wayne had mixtape leaks on the radio. He put mixtapes in a totally different light. Before wayne only hiphop internet die hards listened to mixtapes. They almost became albums with wayne (and later with Drake)
Thing is that I can't even say that he would be in the discussion. Why would he be? Because the masses don't know what good lyricism is and flock to someone because of the beats and simplicity of his rhymes. 

I understand what you're saying, but if he comes up in that discussion then you need to talk to different people.

And again, the whole mix tape thing is simply due to his popularity, nothing else, because Mood Muzik 2 was an album in most people's eyes and that came out around the time dedication 2 came out. And that was reviewed by the NYTimes. Or at least so it claims on Wikipedia 
laugh.gif

Thing is that I can't even say that he would be in the discussion. Why would he be? Because the masses don't know what good lyricism is and flock to someone because of the beats and simplicity of his rhymes. 

I understand what you're saying, but if he comes up in that discussion then you need to talk to different people.

And again, the whole mix tape thing is simply due to his popularity, nothing else, because Mood Muzik 2 was an album in most people's eyes and that came out around the time dedication 2 came out. And that was reviewed by the NYTimes. Or at least so it claims on Wikipedia :lol:

The masses have rose Lil B and Chief Keef, they don't know **** :lol: but the point I was making is that when it's all set and done, a lotttt of people including fans, the NY Times, pitchfork, rollingstone, The GRAMMY committee, all of them will in all likelihood hail him as a legend and with what he's been able to accomplish thus far, it'll be extremely hard to prove why he wouldn't be a legend, or considered one of the greats.

Now whether that's due to his popularity, marketability, one could make a case for that and is probably right. Still doesn't change the fact that what he's accomplished this decade is the stuff of legend.

Have we discussed at all what label is handling the distrubution?

Last time for BP3, Atlantic handled distribution. WTT had def jam doing the work if I am not mistaken.

This go around i haven't really heard mention of it. I mean he isn't signed to a label at all so I am curious about it. I dont know if it would be Sony/Columbia even tho that is were Cole is under the Roc Nation umbrella.
WIki says its through Universal 

Wayne didn't blow (pop wise) til C3

I can remember back around '06-07 he was opening for Jeezy\

Jeezy's mixtapes were being blasted equally or more than Wayne's

Semi off topic but I went back and re-listened to Kingdom Come and BP3, and here's what i came up with for what I thought were the best tracks on both albums to make for 1 very good one:
1) The Prelude
2) Death of Autotune
3) Empire State of Mind

4) Lost One
5) Trouble
6) Real As It Gets
7) Run this Town
8 Oh My God
9) I Made It

10) 30 Something
11) Hate
12) Dig A Hole
13) Already Home
14) So Ambitious
15) Minority Report
16) Beach Chair

The bolded ones were my actual faves from both albums, the italicized ones are of course the singles, which I thought were dope yet eventually overplayed (duh). The ones in blue are better songs to me now than I remember back then, and I threw "Hate" on there cause it's decent, yet a song that is easily replaceable. After listening to these again from start to finish after all this time, it just re-enforces how underwhelming both of these were in relation to the rest of his catalog. Nothing downright awful, but just not a lot that really hits home. If I did this for the songs from both albums that I still keep in constant rotation, it would be 5-6 songs at best. Sure, it would be fine for some current hyped up dudes to release these, but not Jay-Z.
Very interesting post right here. I would add On to the Next One as well if I was mixing these two albums together.

I havent read any of the lyrics yet. I don't want to create an idea of how it's supposed to sound before I actually hear it.

So what's the deal with this album then? It's going to release exclusively on samsung smart phones or something?

Haven't been impressed with any Jay-Z since American Gangster :\

And about Lil Wayne, dude is one of the GOAT comedians, not rappers. His lyrics are so insanely stupid that they're actually entertaining. Same with 2 Chainz, Birdman, etc :smokin :lol:

Back
Top Bottom