+++OFFICIAL JAY Z THREAD+++

Upon its release Magna Carta... Holy Grail received mixed to positive reviews from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from critics, the album received an average score of 62, based on 16 reviews, which indicates "generally favorable reviews.

Upon its release Yeezus received rave reviews from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from critics, the album received an average score of 85, which indicates "universal acclaim", based on 41 reviews.

Last edited:
Upon its release Magna Carta... Holy Grail received mixed to positive reviews from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from critics, the album received an average score of 62, based on 16 reviews, which indicates "generally favorable reviews.

Upon its release Yeezus received rave reviews from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from critics, the album received an average score of 85, which indicates "universal acclaim", based on 41 reviews.

they havent added all hip hop or xxls review.. all the rap sites love it give it 4/5. but all the other sites have given it mediocre reviews. odd

I don't go to the Washington Post to read a review of a rap album.
That's like asking Martha Stewart what Lebron James needs to do to perfect his jump shot... :nerd:

Wrong. You don't need a label or radio anymore. Drake, J. Cole, Wale, Wiz Khalifa, etc. kind of ushered in that and Mac Miller pretty much proved this. As well as Odd Future, and others. By the time Radio catches these records, they are already underground hits to the point where they don't need the radio, the radio needs them.

These artist are proving how unnecessary big labels are. The only thing necessary (kind of) is a distribution deal. Mac Miller had a number one album w/o a record in rotation on the radio. J. Cole had a number one album w/o a strong record being on radio. Work out caught on AFTER the album dropped. Wiz Khalifa caught fire w/o the radio and a major label.

The point is, you don't need radio to pop anymore. You can build an extremely strong fanbase without it. Radio helps, but is a kind of poor indicator of if someone needs the radio or not. There's been a plethora of artist who've proven how outdated pushing a single to radio is.

Now I will say that if your goal is to get a record on radio, (in constant rotation) you do need a label for that. No other way to get on radio than through a label. However, my point is that if J. Cole, Wiz, Mac Miller, etc. don't need the radio to drop number 1 albums, then Beyonce, Ye, J****, Em, etc. sure as hell don't need radio. Ye just dropped a number 1 album without radio.

And as far as what The Dream said in that video, basically what he's saying is that album sales aren't a good indicator of how "poppin'" you are. If J**** sells 300k, that's a poor indicator of how many people actually listened to his album. In the 90's, in order to listen to his project, most would have to purchase a copy. However, in the internet era, obviously most of us now download the project and unless we are real fans of the artist, don't purchase the project. By bringing in corporations like Mountain Dew, Samsung, etc. they take away the middleman (Label) and allow the artists to be compensated for the people who download the music w/o buying it. This way, artists aren't hurt by the downloads and get paid regardless.

Macklemore didn't have a label, but he had radio.

You don't need them if you want a niche fanbase and you want to work your butt off to sell records.

Wiz needed radio and a label for black and yellow.

Work Out had a million downloads, and the label kept having him go back to the lab with another single. Remember Who Dat was his first single. Work Out was released in June, the album came out in September. Plus he was known from his signing to Roc Nation and being the first artist. Granted he was helped out by his mixtapes, but Roc Nation took him national.

I really don't understand why anyone cares about reviews anyways. If you like it, continue to listen to it. If you don't like it, don't listen. To me, it's pretty simple.

What is this supposed to mean?

I'm not sure why people keep posting reviews.

What makes them qualified to review anything hip hop?

I'm tired of letting others define our culture. Hip hop isn't a movie.

Last edited:
I Could careless about reviews from any site.... but knowing how many people can't form their own opinions on anything if i was an artist i would be Highly upset that these websites contain any power at all.

Macklemore didn't have a label, but he had radio.

You don't need them if you want a niche fanbase and you want to work your butt off to sell records.

Wiz needed radio and a label for black and yellow.

Work Out had a million downloads, and the label kept having him go back to the lab with another single. Remember Who Dat was his first single. Work Out was released in June, the album came out in September. Plus he was known from his signing to Roc Nation and being the first artist. Granted he was helped out by his mixtapes, but Roc Nation took him national.

Arguable. IMO Wiz was popping hard before Black and Yellow, so he didn't "NEED" radio for the success of that record, but rather it was an asset for him.

Work out was not in heavy rotation before Sideline story dropped. Cole said it himself. The fact that he put out a number one album before a chart topping single speaks volumes to how necessary (or not necessary) Radio really is. Roc nation didn't do much for Cole, it was all him. Shows and mixtapes = strong following = number 1 album. That's not the strategy for every artist, but for him that's what it was. No label or radio in that.

And yes, you have to work your butt off to sell records without the radio but my point was that several artist have proven that you don't NEED the radio to pop, not whether or not it would assist you.

Arguable. IMO Wiz was popping hard before Black and Yellow, so he didn't "NEED" radio for the success of that record, but rather it was an asset for him.

Work out was not in heavy rotation before Sideline story dropped. Cole said it himself. The fact that he put out a number one album before a chart topping single speaks volumes to how necessary (or not necessary) Radio really is. Roc nation didn't do much for Cole, it was all him. Shows and mixtapes = strong following = number 1 album. That's not the strategy for every artist, but for him that's what it was. No label or radio in that.

And yes, you have to work your butt off to sell records without the radio but my point was that several artist have proven that you don't NEED the radio to pop, not whether or not it would assist you.

I bet you Wiz got the biggest checks he's ever seen in his life from black and yellow.

Black and yellow got him his own imprint to find other artist instead of just having Taylor Gang.
Black and yellow probably let him renegotiate with the label.

Work Out was released months before the album. I'm not sure what you're talking about. The single dropped in June. The album came out the end of September. Who Dat was released, radio didn't catch on, so the album never was given a release date even though it was finished. Once Work Out popped off is when the label saw they could put him out. Can't Get Enough came out as the second single a couple of weeks before the album.

There's always an exception to the rule, that doesn't mean they'll be able to sustain any of that success for longevity or have lightening strike twice.

Wrong. You don't need a label or radio anymore. Drake, J. Cole, Wale, Wiz Khalifa, etc. kind of ushered in that and Mac Miller pretty much proved this. As well as Odd Future, and others. By the time Radio catches these records, they are already underground hits to the point where they don't need the radio, the radio needs them.

These artist are proving how unnecessary big labels are. The only thing necessary (kind of) is a distribution deal. Mac Miller had a number one album w/o a record in rotation on the radio. J. Cole had a number one album w/o a strong record being on radio. Work out caught on AFTER the album dropped. Wiz Khalifa caught fire w/o the radio and a major label.

The point is, you don't need radio to pop anymore. You can build an extremely strong fanbase without it. Radio helps, but is a kind of poor indicator of if someone needs the radio or not. There's been a plethora of artist who've proven how outdated pushing a single to radio is.

Now I will say that if your goal is to get a record on radio, (in constant rotation) you do need a label for that. No other way to get on radio than through a label. However, my point is that if J. Cole, Wiz, Mac Miller, etc. don't need the radio to drop number 1 albums, then Beyonce, Ye, J****, Em, etc. sure as hell don't need radio. Ye just dropped a number 1 album without radio.

And as far as what The Dream said in that video, basically what he's saying is that album sales aren't a good indicator of how "poppin'" you are. If J**** sells 300k, that's a poor indicator of how many people actually listened to his album. In the 90's, in order to listen to his project, most would have to purchase a copy. However, in the internet era, obviously most of us now download the project and unless we are real fans of the artist, don't purchase the project. By bringing in corporations like Mountain Dew, Samsung, etc. they take away the middleman (Label) and allow the artists to be compensated for the people who download the music w/o buying it. This way, artists aren't hurt by the downloads and get paid regardless.
ALL SIGNED WITH MAJOR LABELS.

ALL HAD MAJOR RADIO HITS. ( Aside from Odd Future and arguably J.Cole )

ALL SIGNED WITH MAJOR LABELS.

ALL HAD MAJOR RADIO HITS. ( Aside from Odd Future and arguably J.Cole )

Power Trip is definitely a major radio hit so you can throw him in there too.

My point was that those guys, by the time they signed with a major already were popping hard. They didn't "Need" a label for anything more than distribution. And yes they all had radio hits but I alluded to that. I definitely said in order to get in constant rotation on radio you have to have a label, so yes to get on radio you need a label. By technicality, most radio stations (at least the Power 106's of the world) can't put indie artist in major rotation unless they have a Drake-like buzz.

My argument was that those guys didn't need the radio to pop, but rather that it aided them. I'm not saying that Radio doesn't help, i'm saying that they didn't need the radio to sell well, sell out shows, etc.

Wasn't that done with "Murder to Excellence" on Watch the Throne?? 
He should do it on a much broader scale ..

Again .. why not give back to projects that raised him?

One song isn't really "speaking " on it
Jay Z does charity work, to what extent or how much I'm not necessarily sure but he does do charity work and he does give back to the projects and to the projects that raised him.  He may not spend HIS money the way YOU want him to, but the same can be said for just about any person.  As people, we ALL could do more or give more back, especially in the eyes of others that want to track or monitor each person''s every move or dollar spent. 

As far as the violence in Chicago or any city goes for that matter, let's be serious here.  It's the people in the neighborhood's that need to get their acts together, mainly the parents.  How many murders or homicide's need to take place right in front of people's eyes before WE as a community get it together.  A song that Jay Z raps on to me isn't necessarily suppose to save someone, maybe it will get you or make you want to think on things from a different perspective but if you don't have the desire to change for yourself overall then as the saying goes you can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink it. 

That's one of the problems in the hood today, ****** don't want to drink water.  There's lots of opportunities to advance one's self but these ****** are stuck on stupid.  So if they want to be stuck on stupid let them be.  They'll either get it when they wind up in jail (maybe) or when we see their face on a shirt with "R.I.P." on "In the memory of"at the top of it.  Most of these individuals that need help won't even go to the local library to advance their skill set, but they'll log on to Twitter and Instagram to post a time and place to meet up to fight at.  Which of course only makes it easier for the cops to end up catching them in the process.  These ****** are just that dumb, it's hard to help if they don't even want to help themselves.    

Tom Ford is just a designer man..  He's worked with gucci YSL etc... I wrote a song 3 months ago name dropping TF, I didnt think nothing of, it.. Now I cant even record that song cuz everyone will think JayZ created/Birthed Tom Ford and everyone after him is a biter... lololol

I HAVENT EVEN LISTENED TO THE FULL ALBUM YET BUT I DONT LIKE IT ALREADY BASED OFF THE SLURPAGE I SEE EVERYWHERE

I bet you Wiz got the biggest checks he's ever seen in his life from black and yellow.

Black and yellow got him his own imprint to find other artist instead of just having Taylor Gang.
Black and yellow probably let him renegotiate with the label.

Work Out was released months before the album. I'm not sure what you're talking about. The single dropped in June. The album came out the end of September. Who Dat was released, radio didn't catch on, so the album never was given a release date even though it was finished. Once Work Out popped off is when the label saw they could put him out. Can't Get Enough came out as the second single a couple of weeks before the album.

There's always an exception to the rule, that doesn't mean they'll be able to sustain any of that success for longevity or have lightening strike twice.

Yes Black and Yellow did great things for Wiz and he got paid handsomely for it. I'm not disputing that. What I am saying is that he was already popping before black yellow, which means he was already popping heavy WITHOUT the radio. The radio just aided in what he already had going. Again, the point is that radio aides, and that it isn't a necessity anymore.

Cole was signed to a label who didn't believe in his cult-like following. That's why they didn't put him out. His label resided with the Archaic notion that one had to have a smash single to drop an album. Work out dropped in june, but didn't really start moving until after September, when the album was already out which means that he went number one without a radio smash.

Again, my point is that artist can pop without the radio and that it isn't nearly the necessity as it was in the past. Mac, Cole, Odd Future (Tyler & Frank), all proved this in recent years.

Tom Ford is just a designer man..  He's worked with gucci YSL etc... I wrote a song 3 months ago name dropping TF, I didnt think nothing of, it.. Now I cant even record that song cuz everyone will think JayZ created/Birthed Tom Ford and everyone after him is a biter... lololol

I HAVENT EVEN LISTENED TO THE FULL ALBUM YET BUT I DONT LIKE IT ALREADY BASED OFF THE SLURPAGE I SEE EVERYWHERE

You still have Thom Browne.

Last edited:
jay said "you ain't ready tho you radio you ain't really ready" its a blatant diss to the industry... jay getting paid up front by Samsung Is a powermove for sure...name 3 rappers who could land a exclusive deal with apple...pause ...jay in this for longetivity point blank
Jay was talking directly to Wayne on those first few bars

Jay gonna be on Breakfast Club tomorrow should be a dope interview.

:lol: You already know Charlemagne is gonna be mad quiet and humble, just like when they interviewed 50. He def won't be saying any of his camel jokes to Jay's face

Last edited:
how you know he isn't giving back?
We don't know that he is either ..

I think he can use his global star status to help others or bring awareness to **** that plague our communities.

or even start the wave or trend of helping our youth.

****** lookup to Jay ,

Alot of these ****** can .. not just Jay

but the world we live in them ****** don't do it or just don't give a damn

people for self.

how you know he isn't giving back?
We don't know that he is either ..
This was just a quick search.........

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/42133/jay-z-headlines-carnegie-hall-for-charity

http://www.shawncartersf.com/
I think he can use his global star status to help others or bring awareness to **** that plague our communities.

or even start the wave or trend of helping our youth.
A few months ago Chicago was on pace to have a record year for homicides, and it was spoken on quite frequently in the news nationwide.  How much more awareness do we need??
****** lookup to Jay ,

Alot of these ****** can .. not just Jay

but the world we live in them ****** don't do it or just don't give a damn

people for self.
How bout we put on the onus moreso on the individuals to get their act together.  Let's start practicing community economics, better ourselves threw the education process and grow together from there.  We can look to these famous people as inspiration, and not to come to each and every neighborhood knocking on doors. 

Back
Top Bottom