+++OFFICIAL JAY Z THREAD+++

I think Ninja was referring to brands replacing labels.

But knowing Ninja I could be wrong tho...
These brands ain't replacing no labels G.

Not . Gonna.  Happen.

They work hand in hand any way..

So whats the need to replace them?.
Labels are obsolete... Current distribution methods

Make them da odd man out.
not gonna happen, as long as people are willing to buy album labels will exist.

this new model is strictly a novelty. Samsung only did this with jay because of the novelty of it, doubt that the model is sustainable. If anything artists dropping sponsored albums run the risk of diluting their brand...imagine rick ross dropping an album sponsored by the wing stop.?

Consolidation doesn't mean a industry is suffering

That means it's survival of the fittest.

Why should Universal or Warner have 20 subsidiary labels who do practically the same thing? And Universal isn't shutting down their music division any time soon. There's still a big four majors behind the scenes calling shots.

You don't think Amazon, Google or Apple aren't going to listen to them? They need each other. They're so much bigger than just music, so they have a lot more power and clout.

And yes, you need the radio, in addition to it being another source of money. Radio is how you get nationwide, which gets you tours.

That's the only thing that worries me about the industry making this shift... what ahppens when Google, Youtube, amazon etc etc make it harder for the indy artist to post music, get music streamed?

but as far as far as needing radio to do shows that is a complete lie Lil B tours EVERYWHERE and i don't think i've ever heard his name mentioned on radio. with the emmergence of Blogs, Youtube, Social Media, you can gauge your interest in other markets by yourself and eat very well off a loyal fanbase.

That's the only thing that worries me about the industry making this shift... what ahppens when Google, Youtube, amazon etc etc make it harder for the indy artist to post music, get music streamed?

but as far as far as needing radio to do shows that is a complete lie Lil B tours EVERYWHERE and i don't think i've ever heard his name mentioned on radio. with the emmergence of Blogs, Youtube, Social Media, you can gauge your interest in other markets by yourself and eat very well off a loyal fanbase.

Oh It's possible, and you can have a decent living, like how Tech 9 does, but you also have to work a lot harder. The average artist isn't going to want to work that hard and doesn't have the business acumen or people behind them.

Plus the average artist enters the game young and isn't looking that far in advance. It took Macklemore until he was almost 30.

Look at Soulja Boy, 50 tried to guide him...didn't listen. Same with Chief Keef.

Drake and Nicki were in the perfect position when everyone was after them, because they had enormous power, but then they gave it away.

Same with Jay Electronica.

Last edited:
even with those artist not having the proper acumen they still found a way to make money and tour before even signing a deal... There will be casualties of course but if most of the bigger artist decide to start moving like this i see no reason as to why smaller artist wouldn't follow suit considering it would be more beneficial to their art and their pockets.

I think people are still under the impression that the Labels are doing a lot for artist, and from very account i've heard if your not a TOP TIER artist on a major your pretty much left to handle your own situation before getting help.

TDE.

When the last time you seen me talk about Ross?

and most times you seen me talk about him we wasn't even talking about music.

And that ***** Limited as **** too.

And Gunplay got a songs where he talk abut his own struggles and inner demons ..

But you only listened to 15 songs tho ...

I just stated my opinion

But I'm not tryna derail or start **** in ya'll thread .. I know where I'm at.

I'm don't have the time nor energy to go there with you ****** 
laugh.gif
So you named me one group out of thousands of rappers who have in your opinion a diverse content. I'm a fan of TDE and agree tha they also have good content however it's nothing NEW about what they're saying its the same **** coming from a different point of view, age range, coast etc etc....

Good Kid Mad City broken down to it's simplest form.....is essentially a album about a child growing up in the ghetto and dealing with the harsh realities of it. His Story in General is no different from Nas, No different From Jays, No different from 70% of rappers ever.

I think the problem people have with Jays content isn't that it lacks depth.... It's that he's been rapping for 20 years and people aren't tired of hearing the main story, just the story from his POV. Which is something that disgust me about hiphop because no other genre limits their artist like that.
Nailed it. Attrition in hiphop is unlike any other genre.

I basically had MCHG memorized considering It's been knocking my computer constantly since July 4th, but I still needed to copp the iTunes album this morning.
Additionally I only had 4 songs off of YEEZUS so I bought the rest of that album, as well as the rest of the Mac Miller album.
I truly adore my Beats headphones, especially with these MCHG sounds... :smokin

But hasn't that been the nature of hip hop .. since the beginning?

That **** isn't new.

We debate over everything in hip hop ..

since it's inception.

What does that even mean? Why should he have to change what he wants to rap about, its his music after all. The guy wants to rap about his life and the issues hes dealing with, and within that does a pretty good job of being diverse in terms of subject matter. To say he can "do so much more" is basically you saying that you think he should be rapping about XYZ and who are we to make that suggestion? Thats a very unrelasitic expectation. Lets extrapolate that for a second, guess every rapper thats "in a position to do more" should just be rapping about things that are "thought provoking". How is that fair? People have a choice to say what they please.
Instead of rapping about how he takes trips all over the world , why not speak out on the violence in the Chi?
Wasn't that done with "Murder to Excellence" on Watch the Throne?? 

But hasn't that been the nature of hip hop .. since the beginning?

That **** isn't new.

We debate over everything in hip hop ..

since it's inception.

I don't think anyone is saying it shouldn't be debated however i think alot of people are simply writing Jays newer material off just because its Jay rather than really appreciate the music. I just find it funny that i read through some of the reviews on other albums and find that people are so amazed by simple lyrics on those projects, but when Jay comes through with A stronger album lyrically & Production wise it's relegated to he has nothing new to say.

Because as a fan of the genre i feel he makes just as much change in his sound as any other top tier artist.

What does that even mean? Why should he have to change what he wants to rap about, its his music after all. The guy wants to rap about his life and the issues hes dealing with, and within that does a pretty good job of being diverse in terms of subject matter. To say he can "do so much more" is basically you saying that you think he should be rapping about XYZ and who are we to make that suggestion? Thats a very unrelasitic expectation. Lets extrapolate that for a second, guess every rapper thats "in a position to do more" should just be rapping about things that are "thought provoking". How is that fair? People have a choice to say what they please.
Instead of rapping about how he takes trips all over the world , why not speak out on the violence in the Chi?
I'm curious to hear what you think of the album when you have the time.

I'm curious to hear what you think of the album when you have the time.
I'm bout to listen to it now.  I wanted to wait for the George Zimmerman trial to recess for lunch, which it just did. 

Im a hov stan, and this album is mediocre. F.T.W.U is the stand out if you ask me. My dude just isn't adding anything to the game anymore

**** that website....
**** every site doing that ****.

pimp.gif

****** trying to write off Jay album cause it's ******** on Yeezus, and it has everybody who were previously talking bout Yeezus being a 9/10 or whatever...looking foolish.

They trying to save face.

Last edited:
CHICAGO—Music, a mode of creative expression consisting of sound and silence expressed through time, was given a 6.8 out of 10 rating in an review published Monday on Pitchfork Media, a well-known music-criticism website.

Pitchfork-Gives-Logo_jpg_250x1000_q85.jpg

According to the review, authored by Pitchfork editor in chief Ryan Schreiber, the popular medium that predates the written word shows promise but nonetheless "leaves the listener wanting more." 

"Music's first offering, an eclectic, disparate, but mostly functional compendium of influences from 5000 B.C. to present day, hints that this trend's time may not only have fully arrived, but is already on the wane," Schreiber wrote. "If music has any chance of keeping our interest, it's going to have to move beyond the same palatable but predictable notes, meters, melodies, tonalities, atonalities, timbres, and harmonies."

Schreiber's semi-favorable review, which begins in earnest after a six-paragraph preamble comprising a long list of baroquely rendered, seemingly unrelated anecdotes peppered with obscure references, summarizes music as a "solid but uninspired effort."

"Coming in at an exhausting 7,000 years long, music is weighed down by a few too many mid- tempo tunes, most notably 'Liebesträume No. 3 in A flat' by Franz Liszt and 'Closing Time' by '90s alt-rock group Semisonic," Schreiber wrote. "In the end, though music can be brilliant at times, the whole medium comes off as derivative of Pavement."

While Schreiber concedes that music is still "trying to find its aesthetic," he also claims the form has not yet lived up to the lavish praise heaped on it by pop culture journalist Chuck Klosterman and 19th-century French romantic composer and critic Hector Berlioz, among others.

Schreiber concludes his critique by calling on music to develop a more cohesive sound in its future releases.

"We can only hope that [music] will begin to grow with its fans over the next few millennia," Schreiber said. "If it can stick to what it does well, namely the song 'Peg' by Steely Dan, and Tuvan throat singing, then a sophomore effort will indeed be something to get excited about."

The review has split the music community, with many decrying Pitchfork's lukewarm reception of music as a contrarian move designed to propel the publication's tastemaker status.

"It's elitism for the sake of elitism," said Rolling Stone  senior editor David Fricke, who refuted Pitchfork's middling rating, describing the entire art form as "transcendent." "I've been listening to music for over 30 years, and it's consistently some of the best stuff out there."

Despite music's defenders, the Pitchfork review has made a deep impression on the thousands of music fans who slavishly follow the website's advice when it comes to enjoying things.

"Music used to be great, but let's be honest, it's a 6.8 now at best," said Los Angeles resident Lowell Radler, 23, who admitted that he  just looked at the rating rather than reading the whole review. "I seriously might never listen to music again."

Still, most analysts agreed that the impact of Pitchfork's scathing review of music will be dampened by the 2.4 rating it received from Pitchfork staff writer Dave Maher just moments after the initial critique was published online. Maher termed Schreiber's assessment of music "overwrought, masturbatory posturing intended to make insecure hipsters feel as if they're part of some imagined elite beau monde."

You need radio if you're not Jay , Kanye, Beyonce etc etc.

Top Tier Artist 

Wrong. You don't need a label or radio anymore. Drake, J. Cole, Wale, Wiz Khalifa, etc. kind of ushered in that and Mac Miller pretty much proved this. As well as Odd Future, and others. By the time Radio catches these records, they are already underground hits to the point where they don't need the radio, the radio needs them.

These artist are proving how unnecessary big labels are. The only thing necessary (kind of) is a distribution deal. Mac Miller had a number one album w/o a record in rotation on the radio. J. Cole had a number one album w/o a strong record being on radio. Work out caught on AFTER the album dropped. Wiz Khalifa caught fire w/o the radio and a major label.

The point is, you don't need radio to pop anymore. You can build an extremely strong fanbase without it. Radio helps, but is a kind of poor indicator of if someone needs the radio or not. There's been a plethora of artist who've proven how outdated pushing a single to radio is.

Now I will say that if your goal is to get a record on radio, (in constant rotation) you do need a label for that. No other way to get on radio than through a label. However, my point is that if J. Cole, Wiz, Mac Miller, etc. don't need the radio to drop number 1 albums, then Beyonce, Ye, J****, Em, etc. sure as hell don't need radio. Ye just dropped a number 1 album without radio.

And as far as what The Dream said in that video, basically what he's saying is that album sales aren't a good indicator of how "poppin'" you are. If J**** sells 300k, that's a poor indicator of how many people actually listened to his album. In the 90's, in order to listen to his project, most would have to purchase a copy. However, in the internet era, obviously most of us now download the project and unless we are real fans of the artist, don't purchase the project. By bringing in corporations like Mountain Dew, Samsung, etc. they take away the middleman (Label) and allow the artists to be compensated for the people who download the music w/o buying it. This way, artists aren't hurt by the downloads and get paid regardless.

jay said "you ain't ready tho you radio you ain't really ready" its a blatant diss to the industry... jay getting paid up front by Samsung Is a powermove for sure...name 3 rappers who could land a exclusive deal with apple...pause ...jay in this for longetivity point blank

Last edited:
I know I'm probably alone on this, but I wasn't feeling JT on Holy Grail. Not saying he's bad on it but I would've rather the beat ride out then Jay come in and murder it. I'm not overly impressed so far. Production is good. Kinda have a similar feeling the first time I heard BP2 or Volume 3. It has its moments though

Just finished listening to the album and I really like it
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
.  The main point that I keep seeing repeated on here by some is that MCHG lacks substance.  While this album isn't completely or 100% filled with deep or insightful tracks, I love the 5 track set up of Oceans, F.U.T.W., somewhereinamerica, Crown, and Heaven.  I can't see how anyone can actively listen to those tracks and say he didn't drop any substance on this.   

Back
Top Bottom