Official iPad Thread ("New iPad' to launch March 16 **Details Inside**)

I just read about the A5 chip. Apparently, they're made for entry-level devices and are meant to save energy and battery. Comparing this to the Xoom's Tegra 2, it seems the T2 produces more power and the A5 is more energy efficient.

I just read about the A5 chip. Apparently, they're made for entry-level devices and are meant to save energy and battery. Comparing this to the Xoom's Tegra 2, it seems the T2 produces more power and the A5 is more energy efficient.

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

Where did all these "Un-tech savy" people come from acting like they know something just because the ipad 2 came out?
laugh.gif

as far as the old one being 256 mb, while thats true, it still was really fast. i used my 256 mb ram ipad 10x as much as my 2gb ram macbook

Uh, duh its gonna be a lot faster in terms of the transition between apps, but that doesn't mean it can maintain more apps at (256mb). Your also comparing a mobile os to a desktop os. The desktop os has to worry about other system parts to make it run efficient (ie. hardrive, background task, system memory task) the more ram you have the more apps or programs you can run. Also who the hell has 2gb of ram in a computer 4gb and up, put 4gb in your macbook you'll see a big difference.

Why no retina?

Cost, Apple won't be able to reach the "magical price point" if they were to have retina display i like to say "pixel density"
Performance of the CPU and GPU, Apple claims the A5 chip and its GPU can output 1080p, but it when it comes to having a screen that has more pixel density requires both chips(soc) to consume energy to run make it run efficiently with out no lag or jittering.
Battery life, battery life will drop significantly if the hardware requires to consume more energy.

I have friends away at school so facetime will be FUN since my current laptop doesn't have a webcam
I like music and see myself using the garageband app to have FUN
My best friend is a film major and has a mac and edits his movies all the time id like to be able to try my hand at it without buying the $1000 software, it sounds like FUN to me

I can sit on my couch and watch tons of Pron if i want to without having to worry about viruses and without shelling out 2,000 for a macbook...pron is FUN
I can take it to work and take notes on it as i go meeting to meeting without having to carry a note pad and it will allow me to stay more organized with my notes. not Fun but FUNCTIONAL

I'm sorry your all butt hurt because people buy ipad's and enjoy them. I'd rather pay 500 for this then 800 for a Xoom, sorry

How you expect to do all these things on a 16gb ipad with 512mb of ram, you can't compare 16gb ipad to a 32gb, 1gb ram XOOM.

Go to sleep cheap sheep.
Um call me crazy here.  I plan to do it...then transfer it to my computer at home.  With itunes sharing it should be pretty seamless.  I don't plan to keep much on my ipad other then apps and notes.

Apple has dumbed down the OS for this reason to run things smoothly (like you said mobile vs laptop/desktop).  What are you going to do with your Xoom might I ask that I can't accomplish with the ipad.  You going to use it as a huge storage device?  Again im not replacing my computer with an ipad. 

Where did all these "Un-tech savy" people come from acting like they know something just because the ipad 2 came out?
laugh.gif

as far as the old one being 256 mb, while thats true, it still was really fast. i used my 256 mb ram ipad 10x as much as my 2gb ram macbook

Uh, duh its gonna be a lot faster in terms of the transition between apps, but that doesn't mean it can maintain more apps at (256mb). Your also comparing a mobile os to a desktop os. The desktop os has to worry about other system parts to make it run efficient (ie. hardrive, background task, system memory task) the more ram you have the more apps or programs you can run. Also who the hell has 2gb of ram in a computer 4gb and up, put 4gb in your macbook you'll see a big difference.

Why no retina?

Cost, Apple won't be able to reach the "magical price point" if they were to have retina display i like to say "pixel density"
Performance of the CPU and GPU, Apple claims the A5 chip and its GPU can output 1080p, but it when it comes to having a screen that has more pixel density requires both chips(soc) to consume energy to run make it run efficiently with out no lag or jittering.
Battery life, battery life will drop significantly if the hardware requires to consume more energy.

I have friends away at school so facetime will be FUN since my current laptop doesn't have a webcam
My best friend is a film major and has a mac and edits his movies all the time id like to be able to try my hand at it without buying the $1000 software, it sounds like FUN to me

I can sit on my couch and watch tons of Pron if i want to without having to worry about viruses and without shelling out 2,000 for a macbook...pron is FUN
I can take it to work and take notes on it as i go meeting to meeting without having to carry a note pad and it will allow me to stay more organized with my notes. not Fun but FUNCTIONAL

I'm sorry your all butt hurt because people buy ipad's and enjoy them. I'd rather pay 500 for this then 800 for a Xoom, sorry

How you expect to do all these things on a 16gb ipad with 512mb of ram, you can't compare 16gb ipad to a 32gb, 1gb ram XOOM.

Go to sleep cheap sheep.
Um call me crazy here.  I plan to do it...then transfer it to my computer at home.  With itunes sharing it should be pretty seamless.  I don't plan to keep much on my ipad other then apps and notes.

Apple has dumbed down the OS for this reason to run things smoothly (like you said mobile vs laptop/desktop).  What are you going to do with your Xoom might I ask that I can't accomplish with the ipad.  You going to use it as a huge storage device?  Again im not replacing my computer with an ipad. 

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

I can probably guess that the A5 chips is re-package Samsung chip "Exynos" which is dual-core, cause the A4 chip had the same architecture as the Samsung "Humming bird chip" it will only make sense that apple will keep it contacts with samsung as a the chip supplier, also Samsung sells their chips in volumes.

Um call me crazy here. I plan to do it...then transfer it to my computer at home. With itunes sharing it should be pretty seamless. I don't plan to keep much on my ipad other then apps and notes.

Apple has dumbed down the OS for this reason to run things smoothly. What are you going to do with your Xoom might I ask that I can't accomplish with the ipad. You going to use it as a huge storage device? Again im not replacing my computer with an ipad.

itunes home sharing is only in the confies of your home wifi network, Thats cool and all but what about when i step out side the house my music doen't come with me. I rely on cloud services like mspot to handle my music on a 3g or 4g network. itunes is not seamless, its a hassle you all ways need to sync a cable to a
i-device just use to gather your information. Google services(Android) work over the cloud no need for a desktop os or desktop program to save your info, its all done thorough you gmail account or something of the like that is connected to the internet. Meaning if your miles away from you home computer you don't need a cable just sign on to your gmail account with internet access and your information will be sent to you over the cloud. mobile me does this but you have to pay for it most of you ios users don't pay for mobile me, google services free.

I wouldn't say dumb down the os but make it more optimized for user experience. I'm not getting the xoom, i'm still keeping my options open to 2 more platforms, webos tablet and blackberry playbook, and maybe a HTC Honeycomb device.

I can probably guess that the A5 chips is re-package Samsung chip "Exynos" which is dual-core, cause the A4 chip had the same architecture as the Samsung "Humming bird chip" it will only make sense that apple will keep it contacts with samsung as a the chip supplier, also Samsung sells their chips in volumes.

Um call me crazy here. I plan to do it...then transfer it to my computer at home. With itunes sharing it should be pretty seamless. I don't plan to keep much on my ipad other then apps and notes.

Apple has dumbed down the OS for this reason to run things smoothly. What are you going to do with your Xoom might I ask that I can't accomplish with the ipad. You going to use it as a huge storage device? Again im not replacing my computer with an ipad.

itunes home sharing is only in the confies of your home wifi network, Thats cool and all but what about when i step out side the house my music doen't come with me. I rely on cloud services like mspot to handle my music on a 3g or 4g network. itunes is not seamless, its a hassle you all ways need to sync a cable to a
i-device just use to gather your information. Google services(Android) work over the cloud no need for a desktop os or desktop program to save your info, its all done thorough you gmail account or something of the like that is connected to the internet. Meaning if your miles away from you home computer you don't need a cable just sign on to your gmail account with internet access and your information will be sent to you over the cloud. mobile me does this but you have to pay for it most of you ios users don't pay for mobile me, google services free.

I wouldn't say dumb down the os but make it more optimized for user experience. I'm not getting the xoom, i'm still keeping my options open to 2 more platforms, webos tablet and blackberry playbook, and maybe a HTC Honeycomb device.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

laugh.gif

Why no retina?

Go to sleep cheap sheep.

Apple has dumbed down the OS for this reason to run things smoothly.  What are you going to do with your Xoom might I ask that I can't accomplish with the ipad.  You going to use it as a huge storage device?  Again im not replacing my computer with an ipad. 

Dont listen to that guy Alcemis IQ. He thinks he can program without programming experience disregard him. SMH @ thinking Ram matters THAT much when you are litterally only running 1 app at a time and the rest are in suspend. How can he call anyone a cheap sheep when he cant even afford the Xoom his self. _s thinking that they are "Tech savy" because he can root an android SMH and SMD. Dude probably cant even flash a bios. Buy what you want not what some Android troll say to do. How can you literally try to justify spending 800 dollars on a tablet that cant do %+@@. Dudes are gassed up beause you can make your android look pretty @$@+! with that nonsense. I need usability and functionality not a pretty screen.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

laugh.gif

Why no retina?

Go to sleep cheap sheep.

Apple has dumbed down the OS for this reason to run things smoothly.  What are you going to do with your Xoom might I ask that I can't accomplish with the ipad.  You going to use it as a huge storage device?  Again im not replacing my computer with an ipad. 

Dont listen to that guy Alcemis IQ. He thinks he can program without programming experience disregard him. SMH @ thinking Ram matters THAT much when you are litterally only running 1 app at a time and the rest are in suspend. How can he call anyone a cheap sheep when he cant even afford the Xoom his self. _s thinking that they are "Tech savy" because he can root an android SMH and SMD. Dude probably cant even flash a bios. Buy what you want not what some Android troll say to do. How can you literally try to justify spending 800 dollars on a tablet that cant do %+@@. Dudes are gassed up beause you can make your android look pretty @$@+! with that nonsense. I need usability and functionality not a pretty screen.

RAM will matter when they are getting apps that require more RAM to run smoothly like GarageBand.

Do you really think one applications rendered at 1024 x 768 is going to need more than 512 MB of RAM? Be serious with yourself. CLEARLY the iPad runs perfectly fine with 512mb if you watch the videos of it in actual operation and stop thinking about it in theory. Most of the things like emulating sounds from instruments are more CPU intensive than ram intensive.

RAM will matter when they are getting apps that require more RAM to run smoothly like GarageBand.

Do you really think one applications rendered at 1024 x 768 is going to need more than 512 MB of RAM? Be serious with yourself. CLEARLY the iPad runs perfectly fine with 512mb if you watch the videos of it in actual operation and stop thinking about it in theory. Most of the things like emulating sounds from instruments are more CPU intensive than ram intensive.

The iPad 2 will have enough ram to run GarageBand and iMovie.. A retina display that big would have a huge toll on battery life. For those who say the IPad can't replace a computer you are wrong for the most part. With wifi iTunes syncing I don't have the need to touch the MacBook.. I've written some of my dissertation, taking notes, did power points, blog, downloaded music and movies(not through iTunes either), write basic HTML code etc..
curious.. Does anybody have the xoom, touchpad, playbook, or any other tablet?

Sent from my iPad.

The iPad 2 will have enough ram to run GarageBand and iMovie.. A retina display that big would have a huge toll on battery life. For those who say the IPad can't replace a computer you are wrong for the most part. With wifi iTunes syncing I don't have the need to touch the MacBook.. I've written some of my dissertation, taking notes, did power points, blog, downloaded music and movies(not through iTunes either), write basic HTML code etc..
curious.. Does anybody have the xoom, touchpad, playbook, or any other tablet?

Sent from my iPad.

And you saying the Xoom can't do %+%+... Um, really...???
indifferent.gif

I never said the Xoom cant do most of these things. They Xoom could do anything it wants to its more than capable of doing anything the iPad can but it simply lacks the development support. Also the fact that JAVA is the programming language of choice will make most applications worse on Android. The big difference between the two platforms is the support from developers. Apple not only has their own first party applications that are VERY high quality their third party applications are also high quality and range from small time development company's to large companys like EA, Capcom, and even MS. These tech specs mean nothing if you cant get any good software on them which is why android is failing. You can have all the Ghzs you want, all the GBs of ram, and all of the TFLOPS in the world for your GPU and it wont mean anything if you have no one who actually takes advantage of it.

And you saying the Xoom can't do %+%+... Um, really...???
indifferent.gif

I never said the Xoom cant do most of these things. They Xoom could do anything it wants to its more than capable of doing anything the iPad can but it simply lacks the development support. Also the fact that JAVA is the programming language of choice will make most applications worse on Android. The big difference between the two platforms is the support from developers. Apple not only has their own first party applications that are VERY high quality their third party applications are also high quality and range from small time development company's to large companys like EA, Capcom, and even MS. These tech specs mean nothing if you cant get any good software on them which is why android is failing. You can have all the Ghzs you want, all the GBs of ram, and all of the TFLOPS in the world for your GPU and it wont mean anything if you have no one who actually takes advantage of it.

Originally Posted by Caerus

Originally Posted by infam0usP

So, without having this become a Fan boy battle, please let me know which one is better?

Xoom Or Ipad 2?
buy what YOU like & quit worrying about the next man's opinion. its your $ & nobody else's
Cut that %!#* out man. I was just inquiring. Some heads on here really know what there talking about.
Never said that, did I? Just learn to read some reviews from people who get paid to review every electronic device that drops like CNET or Consumer Reports instead of some random forum members
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by infam0usP

So, without having this become a Fan boy battle, please let me know which one is better?

Xoom Or Ipad 2?
buy what YOU like & quit worrying about the next man's opinion. its your $ & nobody else's
Cut that %!#* out man. I was just inquiring. Some heads on here really know what there talking about.
Never said that, did I? Just learn to read some reviews from people who get paid to review every electronic device that drops like CNET or Consumer Reports instead of some random forum members
laugh.gif

Big companies are already supporting Android.
You act like there's no games from EA on Android or no apps from Microsoft.

Big companies are already supporting Android.
You act like there's no games from EA on Android or no apps from Microsoft.

Jking0821 sorry to insult you. Apologies, buy what you like and enjoy.
I don't feel like debating or arguing about this ipad vs Honeycomb OS tablet thing i got other things to do. Peace.

Jking0821 sorry to insult you. Apologies, buy what you like and enjoy.
I don't feel like debating or arguing about this ipad vs Honeycomb OS tablet thing i got other things to do. Peace.

And since fanboys want to get techincal many people believe the iPad GPU will be the PowerVR SGX543MP which is also supposed to be on the NGP.

You may have heard of the PowerVR SGX543MP -- you know, the GPU behind Sony's NGP and possibly on its way to the iPad 2 and iPhone 5 -- but chances are, you've yet to see it working up close. Well, feast your graphics-hungry eyes on this: that's Futuremark's Tai Chi benchmark running on a tellingly sheathed device, working the MP2 (dual-core) iteration of the processor, and that fine smartphone to its right is the Nexus S, sporting the PowerVR SGX540 you've come to know and love. As you can tell, Imagination Technologies' promises of 4X the performance aren't just baseless boasts -- the lady on the left moves with grace and fluidity, while her counterpart on the right is all sorts of herky-jerky. Think that's fast? Check out what the GPU can do with two more cores.

Back
Top Bottom