Official HBO's The Newsroom Thread Vol: Season 3

Awesome season finale!

Please Aaron, don't make us wait a whole year for the second, this show is too good!

Sloan doesn't strike me as the type to just accept his advances right there on the spot. He'd have to dead Maggie and be single for a while. Kudos to whoever cut that promo scene that aired last week. I was thrown completely off track.

I thought the following:

Will tried to end his life
Will was getting fired (and he'd find redemption next season)
the last scene where he is yelling at the college girl was actually someone on his staff that ratted him out

great episode and a great show.

I swear this show wants you to hate it. :smh:

I know I'm gonna watch the show next year, because it does have something worth saying. It is good in parts. No one is else is even trying and to be fair...on paper, this should've been a homerun.

To me...Maggie is an all around terrible character. She's an insult to women, logic, likeability and Allison Pill's career. Dom and Jim are unlikeable love interests. They're almost the same person. Dom is fine in spurts when they use his seriousness sarcastically or in a Dom vs. us way. Jim is fine when not speaking and getting hurt. Lisa didn't deserve to be bothered by any of these people. I don't understand how the guy who wrote Josh and Donna made any of these people.

Emily Mortimer is channeling Courtney Cox's character from Scream, but with the bar set that low, she still can't even clear it. She's a plague on the show. And even if you don't agree, the entire conceit of her character, is that she's a strong, capable, independent woman who reported from warzones and can handle anything. All she did was set women on HBO back worse than Sex and the City ever could. The idea of who she was in the pilot was all lies and setup for the letdown of who she pounded over our heads that she really was. What a miserable, miserable job Emily Mortimer did. The moment she did quiet down and nail a line or give a good speech, didn't come close to outweighing all the scenes where she killed the realism, momentum and seriousness of any topic or character near her. The #1 problem with the show, in my opinion, because I know they're not allowed to let her leave.

Will McAvoy...I don't know what to say. There's as much bad as good. When he tries to be funny, you wonder who's actually gonna be serious here. When he gets his super-idealistic ideas, you wonder how anyone thought he was that guy. 'What do you mean I can't have a Republican debate where I just make fun of all the candidates for 2 hours?' 'What do you mean you want to fire me, because I was high on the job?' I get it, he's the greatest human being ever, except for the time his heart got broken. Jeff Daniels also isn't bad in this role...not especially good, but he has moments where you see that leading man the show needs. Then Emily Mortimer shows up.

But the sincerely good characters/actors on this show to me...Olivia Munn as Sloane, Dev Patel, Sam Waterston even in that stupid bowtie, Lisa, the ratings guy, the shrink, Terry Allan Crews even if I don't understand why he's here, the other anchor who got his *** kicked in Egypt...

None of these people are one of the leads. That's a problem.

I know I'll be back next year, because no one else is trying something so ambitious and the moments it hits, are very, very good and deep. The ideas they touch on are watching and I HAVE to believe that the show can get much better. Even if Sorkin's in denial, he's gonna hear from the critics about what worked...and hopefully he'll focus on that.

I loved the Egyptian riots and the Japanese nuclear meltdown episodes. I know they can make good television, consistently...I think. I hope.

I swear this show wants you to hate it. :smh:
I know I'm gonna watch the show next year, because it does have something worth saying. It is good in parts. No one is else is even trying and to be fair...on paper, this should've been a homerun.
To me...Maggie is an all around terrible character. She's an insult to women, logic, likeability and Allison Pill's career. Dom and Jim are unlikeable love interests. They're almost the same person. Dom is fine in spurts when they use his seriousness sarcastically or in a Dom vs. us way. Jim is fine when not speaking and getting hurt. Lisa didn't deserve to be bothered by any of these people. I don't understand how the guy who wrote Josh and Donna made any of these people.
Emily Mortimer is channeling Courtney Cox's character from Scream, but with the bar set that low, she still can't even clear it. She's a plague on the show. And even if you don't agree, the entire conceit of her character, is that she's a strong, capable, independent woman who reported from warzones and can handle anything. All she did was set women on HBO back worse than Sex and the City ever could. The idea of who she was in the pilot was all lies and setup for the letdown of who she pounded over our heads that she really was. What a miserable, miserable job Emily Mortimer did. The moment she did quiet down and nail a line or give a good speech, didn't come close to outweighing all the scenes where she killed the realism, momentum and seriousness of any topic or character near her. The #1 problem with the show, in my opinion, because I know they're not allowed to let her leave.
Will McAvoy...I don't know what to say. There's as much bad as good. When he tries to be funny, you wonder who's actually gonna be serious here. When he gets his super-idealistic ideas, you wonder how anyone thought he was that guy. 'What do you mean I can't have a Republican debate where I just make fun of all the candidates for 2 hours?' 'What do you mean you want to fire me, because I was high on the job?' I get it, he's the greatest human being ever, except for the time his heart got broken. Jeff Daniels also isn't bad in this role...not especially good, but he has moments where you see that leading man the show needs. Then Emily Mortimer shows up.
But the sincerely good characters/actors on this show to me...Olivia Munn as Sloane, Dev Patel, Sam Waterston even in that stupid bowtie, Lisa, the ratings guy, the shrink, Terry Allan Crews even if I don't understand why he's here, the other anchor who got his *** kicked in Egypt...
None of these people are one of the leads. That's a problem.
I know I'll be back next year, because no one else is trying something so ambitious and the moments it hits, are very, very good and deep. The ideas they touch on are watching and I HAVE to believe that the show can get much better. Even if Sorkin's in denial, he's gonna hear from the critics about what worked...and hopefully he'll focus on that.
I loved the Egyptian riots and the Japanese nuclear meltdown episodes. I know they can make good television, consistently...I think. I hope.
tumblr_m6fnnmO1bx1qanmyo.gif

This might explain something...

Christ Matthew's son is in The Newsroom.
[h2]The actor Matthews is now part of a 'Newsroom'[/h2]
By Rachel Southmayd

CONTRIBUTING WRITER

June 24, 2012 2:00 AM

The saying goes "like father, like son," but in the case of Chris Matthews, host of MSNBC's "Hardball with Chris Matthews," and his actor son, Thomas, this has taken on new meaning. While his father's career is as host and commentator on real TV news shows, Thomas's latest acting job is pretending to work on one as part of the cast of Aaron Sorkin's new HBO show "The Newsroom."

While the younger Matthews, 26, whose credits are primarily in stage acting, says he never wanted to make a career out of the real news, that doesn't mean he's out of the loop.

"I've always followed the news," he said in a phone interview last week, explaining that he tries to watch his father's show every night and also watches CNN and Fox News (sometimes) to get a balance.

Matthews and his father are on Nantucket for the film festival — he took part by reading sketches on the Frog and Flounder Radio Hour and a new Jim Taylor-Alexander Payne ("Sideways") screenplay — and plan to watch the premiere of the TV show tonight as a family at their Nantucket home.

"We're all stoked. I think its going to be a really good show," he says.

"The Newsroom" is about the people who work at "News Night," a nightly news program on the fictional cable network Atlantis Cable News. The program is anchored by Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels), a newsman often praised for his neutral attitude and non-polarized approach to reporting.

Matthews plays Martin, a younger staffer at "News Night" whom he describes as "incompetent" and who only got his job through connections — ironic given Matthews' real-life situation. But Matthews says his father never pushed him towards the news industry.

"Pretty much ever since I was a kid, my dad encouraged me to get into theater," he says.

In tonight's premiere episode of "The Newsroom," McAvoy has a breakdown during an appearance at Northwestern University, cursing out a student and saying he doesn't believe America is the best nation in the world.

After that, "everything goes haywire," Matthews says.

He says "News Night" demonstrates how news should be done, giving all sides of every story equal weight.

But giving all sides of every story "is kind of difficult because it doesn't tell you what to believe," he says, "but it's the way you should be doing the news."

And unlike writer/producer Sorkin's other television projects — like "The West Wing" and "Sports Night" — the crises presented on this show actually happened. The first episode is set in April 2010 with the breaking of the story on the BP oil spill.

"(The show) is about actual, real news," Matthews says. "It's much more difficult to swallow."

Sorkin has had the magic touch time and time again on both movies and television series. From "A Few Good Men" to "The Social Network," he has often struck gold with dramas and comedies that are real, gritty and fast-paced. As the showrunner, he has his hands in all aspects of "The Newsroom," but Matthews says Sorkin still makes time to come in and talk to the actors on set every day.

Sorkin's dialogue also has a reputation for being very fast-paced, but Matthews says he's genetically a fast talker, much like his father.

Matthews was also impressed with the ensemble, which includes actors like Emily Mortimer, Sam Waterston and Dev Patel, from the first reading more than a year ago. He says Sorkin and other show officials cast mostly theater actors from New York and London so that they could do longer takes.

"All the actors are incredible," Matthews says. "(Being part of the show) was incredibly humbling and still is."

The best way to watch the show is: watch the latest episode on Sunday night, read the articles of critics killing it during the week and then watch the episode again OnDemand with the Sorkin commentary at the end.

I didn't have too many complaints about the show. I didn't try to over analyze the show & just liked it for what it was = mind candy. I do think Maggie & Mac are almost the same person/character just at different ages. I'm glad the season finale wasn't a cliff hanger.

Lisa & Sloan :smokin:nthat::pimp:

I love Skinner though...The way he played Leona with the beef stew recipe from Solomon was nice...& that rant at Mac...

I'm looking forward to next season. At least I'll have Showtime's Homeland & HBO's Treme to tide me over...

This show made me fall in love with Olivia Munn again.

Will's rant on republicans was spot on too. More people need to watch this show.

just peeped the first episode last night. EPIC opening scene.

I knownim late but I've heard nothin but good things about this show. gonna **** around and finish the season later when I get home from work :lol:

This show made me fall in love with Olivia Munn again.
Will's rant on republicans was spot on too. More people need to watch this show.

The scary thing is the facts they present or talk about (re: the republicans - tea party) are all true. They're not even bending any of the facts to suit the story.

I've heard a couple people say "the main reason Jim likes Maggie is because Mac told him to." That seems true.

Back
Top Bottom