Official FUTURE A1/FBG Thread

Define "depth" to you?

I'm curious....ESPECIALLY coming from you because I know you think further than the surface level.

(Depth is all relative btw). I've found that in hip hop, "depth" and "content" is only looked at in the scope of consciousness....image, or traditional hip hop.
Depth, to me is when the writing goes beyond the surface level. You have to "go there." I don't hear or feel the emotion when he tries to go there. Just seems extremely typical.

I can't say that future's music has any real depth when almost all of his albums are littered with just unequivocally generic writing, and then have like a song or two where you spit out some rehashed cliches about coming from the bottom and ****.

Future's "depth" to me is the equivalent of a basketball player who's primarily a shooter, but drives occasionally w/minimal success and claims that there's more to his game than shooting.

He clearly wasn't messin with Future during the 3 peat. That **** is filled with deep tracks.
3 peat wasn't full of 'deep' tracks man lol

This isn't true at all, Hardly is a top 10 record for me from future and one of the rare instances for me when he actually exuded real depth. (at least on the hook)

Last edited:
Depth, to me is when the writing goes beyond the surface level. You have to "go there." I don't hear or feel the emotion when he tries to go there. Just seems extremely typical.

I can't say that future's music has any real depth when almost all of his albums are littered with just unequivocally generic writing, and then have like a song or two where you spit out some rehashed cliches about coming from the bottom and ****.

Future's "depth" to me is the equivalent of a basketball player who's primarily a shooter, but drives occasionally w/minimal success and claims that there's more to his game than shooting.

Everybody can't be HOV fam

Everybody can't be HOV fam
Hov? You read that and thought I was describing Hov? Yikes
laugh.gif

That's not a bar I would set for anyone as far as depth goes.

Hovs lyrics don't go behind surface level????

Nah let's not derail this thread
laugh.gif
Huh? Bro You misinterpreted what I said.

On the contrary, his lyrics go far beyond the surface level, which is why I said "That's a bar I wouldn't set for anyone" because almost no other rapper can reach that sort of depth without sounding cliche, as hov does.

YO this dude just called Future OJ Mayo :wow:

:rofl:

Mann I just take Future's music for what it is. As far as depth and meaning goes I'd say its more than typical trap music which in general lacks in that department. However, not all music needs to be lyrical and deep for me to love it. The point of music to me first and foremost is to be sonically appealing before anything and Future excels at checking that box. When I listen to Future I'm expecting a banging *** beat I can always bang my head to and ill flows on top of those beats. He has also shown the ability to be versatile and make some very catchy and great R&B/Trap type hybrid tracks also that have been huge hits so thats also appreciated.

One of the main knocks I see in here is that his music is predictable and follows the same formula, well to me thats a GREAT thing because he's doing what WORKS and works very well. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Honestly IMO, Future(album) doesn't sound too different from Purple Reign, Evol, or DS2 as far as OVERALL sound goes. I love all of those projects though because he's just giving us more of what he does best. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

I just don't think you "get it"....and that's ok. But there's more there (to me) when you peel back the layers. Funny you mentioned "Ain't no way around it".....that's when it hit me.....that there were more layers to future:

"Lil woadie strapped with that flame, and he ready to bust a brain
You can't tell the homie nothing, he done felt too much pain
He don't care nun bout no fame,
He addicted to the game,
Some ****** rob, some ****** slang,
Do whatever to maintain
Trap hard all the way to Waco, get a hundred for the low low
Bigger the risk the biggger the check....we watch for po-po

Then.....Take "News or Somethn".....

This is what I had to say when somebody randomly brought up the lyrics to the song:

Top 5 future song.

I think it's important to get his lyrics right though :lol:.

It goes:

"tell them young ***** ridin for for you, gon knock something down, if they gon shoot then shoot something....we better hear about this sht on the news or something"

Picky I know...but I think it adds more to the lines that follow.

-"Man down over yonder, "YOUNG" came thru holdin on a K like a drummer"

-They done took a BOSS out, ***** no wonder"

It's simple, but paints two bleak pictures of street life. A "Boss" ordering a hit....and a "Youngin" taking out a boss. The Boss tells the Youngin that if he's going to shoot...it better make the news.

Ironically, A "Youngin" taking out a boss is going to "make the news". Hence "They done took a Boss out ***** no wonder."

People sleep on Future. He's saying a lot with a little right there.

Last edited:
Point taken, and I do think depth or deepness is overrated in music.

Do you like the music and does it move you in a certain way? That's really all that matters and anything else is mostly ancillary and ornamental tbh.

Most wouldn't say Rent Money is deep, but if it moves you in a certain way, then why does it matter? I only used Rent Money because that's my favorite song out right now.

He clearly wasn't messin with Future during the 3 peat. That **** is filled with deep tracks.

3 peat wasn't full of 'deep' tracks man lol

This isn't true at all, Hardly is a top 10 record for me from future and one of the rare instances for me when he actually exuded real depth. (at least on the hook)

They might not be deep to you but 3peat was filled with real _ ****.

Codeine Crazy
Hardly
My Savages
Throw Away
Where I Came From
Trap ******

Then News Or Somethin, Blood On the Money, Kno the Meaning after that.

Last edited:
Aye, this a letter for my dogs
How we let the money get between us
How we let these ******* get between us
How we let these ****** get between us
I got love for all my savages with itchy fingers
I got love but it ain’t like the love I got for India
She held me down when I was broke, I got her to infinity
My lil dog caught a murder, gone for infinity
Dumping ashes on your obituary, I know you feeling me
RIP my grand-dad Quick, he should have seen this ****
20 thousand on some child support, I seen that ****

These ain't just turn up lyrics mane.

If esco didn't love me he woulda been jumped ship :frown:

"I got love, but it ain't like the love I got from India
She held me down when I was broke, I got her til infinity
My lil dawg caught a murder, gone for infinity
Dumping ashes on your obituary, I know you feeling me"

:smh:

Feels like Futures consistent greatness gets held against him as a lack of creativity or criticism by "Pitchfork" critics.

***** created his own sound (a few times over).....and Done showed a crazy range in sound, content and everything in between.

Does the ***** mail it in sometimes? Of course :lol:.

But the work has been consistently good. It's like LeBron's 27/7/7. You just get used to it. Plus, Super isn't the underdog again....so it's easy to pick him apart.

Trap rap....is the only type of music that gets that "generic" label....because some refuse to see the artistry in it.

Thats because most trap rap IS generic. The main dudes like Future, Gucci & Thug stand out for a reason

And repped @sonunox34 for a different POV even tho i dont agree with all of it lol

I do think both of these albums were good & if you enjoyed his past best work then imo it matches up pretty well against them projects

Dont include him

Back
Top Bottom