::[OFFICIAL] FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 Thread:::

Telemundo is taking over the Spanish broadcast and Fox for the English broadcast in the US.

Gonna be an interesting final.

Messi's chance to shine.
Holland went for the triple team everytime he got the ball.
He didn't really get into space and was pretty much ghost until the cross for the volley for maxi rodriguez.

Will Di Maria be back?

late but just saw this 
laugh.gif

What a terrible game. One of the worst of the tournament. Felt like it could've gone for 10 hours without either team scoring. Very disappointed with the Dutch, I thought they were better. Both teams sucked and hard to believe that either one would've had a chance against Germany. Especially because of the extra time exhaustion.

Oh well, a 4 goal average for the semi-finals still isn't bad.

Meanwhile, at Adidas' headquarters:

Last edited:
Do i even need to watch the final?  I said Germany was gonna kill Brazil and i said Argentina vs Netherlands was gonna be 0-0 and decided by PK's

so here is what's gonna happen in the final.  3-1 Germany

after thinking about the game, do you think van gaal messed up tactically? he started a clearly unfit RVP and an injured de jong, basically assuring himself he'd HAVE to use 2 of his 3 subs on them at some point. i feel like he should have at least kept 1 of the 2 on the bench, preferrably RVP and let depay who has fresher legs run around and try to make something happen. felt like that ended up hurting them in the end when it came to PKs, cause they could have used that sub for krul (obviously that doesnt guarantee a win) but having krul out there for that moment instead makes argentinas players think a lot more after seeing what he did to costa rica. just some thoughts I had throughout the night looking back at the game. excited for this final though, germany is my squad and I hope they can pull off the win and send klose off with a WC to end his national team career.

U guys are going off of the 1 game against Brazil... Brazil had been playing beneath there level the whole WC so it was gonna catch up to them sooner or later... I didn't c the game n didn't really care for it with neymar being injured and thiago silva out I knew it was just gonna be horrific for Brazil. No playmaker n there best defender what woula stopped a team from playing on attack vs a team that looked out of sync all of there previous games. USA almost took Germany to PKs and so did Algeria!!! Argentina played smart futbol against netherlands and had some clear chances to put one in the back of the net in regulation time but sometimes luck isn't on your side. its a good win for Argentina against the team that bombed on Spain. I highly doubt germany will try that attack mode on Argentina with messi out in the pitch and if di maria is out there (according to Argentina hes supposed to b good to go for the cup game) even less likely. It should be a good game for both teams IMO not just for Germany

Last edited:
after thinking about the game, do you think van gaal messed up tactically? he started a clearly unfit RVP and an injured de jong, basically assuring himself he'd HAVE to use 2 of his 3 subs on them at some point. i feel like he should have at least kept 1 of the 2 on the bench, preferrably RVP and let depay who has fresher legs run around and try to make something happen. felt like that ended up hurting them in the end when it came to PKs, cause they could have used that sub for krul (obviously that doesnt guarantee a win) but having krul out there for that moment instead makes argentinas players think a lot more after seeing what he did to costa rica. just some thoughts I had throughout the night looking back at the game. excited for this final though, germany is my squad and I hope they can pull off the win and send klose off with a WC to end his national team career.
Hindsight is 20/20 during the game i said put in Memphis...then Clasie came on....I think that was really the only bad move that i would have changed in game.  Now of course id say you start Huntelaar and bring RVP in late maybe and don't start De Jong if he can't go a full 90-120 because you need Krul to save PKs.  But you can't make subs assuming PKs are coming you make them to win the game in regular/over time.  I think Clasie was the only mis step.

Masherano was the MVP of the game (him and Vlaar).  Both him and Zabaleta had concussions though.  Zabaleta's was legit scary.  Both should never have been allowed back onto the field.  Lucky for argentina they both were.  If there was proper policing of the sport by FIFA both should have to sit out the final with head injuries.

Messi needs help if argentina have any shot at pulling the upset.  I think Perez earned some time even if its only as a sub.  Aguero needs to show up in the final.  I still don't see it happening...2-0 Germany

Still don't understand why LVG didn't just play Krul from the start. He's an excellent all round keeper and a great shot-stopper, it would've saved the headache of rationing their subs and of course he's then in for the shootout... I remember last season against Spurs he had an outstanding game, making the most saves in a single match in Premier League history. I'd pick him over Cillessen anyday.

But as said, hindsight s a wonderful thing. 

USA almost took Germany to PKs and so did Algeria!!!
Not sure if serious. USA played against Germany in the group stage and lost in regulation.

Switzerland were literally milimeters away from getting a penalty shootout against Argentina. But the king of them all is them barely beating Iran in the group stages from a purely individual act in stoppage time.

The only really good team that Argentina beat in this World Cup is Belgium. And I say "good" because most people regard them as good and hyped them up, personally I thought they were overrated to begin with.

They beat a great Dutch team, but that was in a penalty shootout. And trust me, they do NOT want to go there against Germany.  Because if they do, they might as well hand them the trophy right away. I can guarantee you that the parts of the staff of the German federation are analyzing all kinds of statistics you never heard of about every Argentinian player and their goalkeeper as we speak. They are notorious for that and hands down the best in the world. 

Both the Dutch and Argentina seemed to want a penalty shootout in yesterday's boring game. I always say that the teams that go after a penalty shootout deserve to lose that penalty shootout. Unfortunately, both teams couldn't lose yesterday.

This German team looks stronger than the ones that kicked Argentina out in both 2006 and 2010, and they have many of the same players. The opposite is the case for Argentina, other than Messi playing better this World Cup. Although he was much better in the group stage than the knockout stage. The only thing in Argentina's favor is the location. But we saw how that influenced ze Germans against Brazil.

Not sure if serious. USA played against Germany in the group stage and lost in regulation.

Switzerland were literally milimeters away from getting a penalty shootout against Argentina. But the king of them all is them barely beating Iran in the group stages from a purely individual act in stoppage time.

The only really good team that Argentina beat in this World Cup is Belgium. And I say "good" because most people regard them as good and hyped them up, personally I thought they were overrated to begin with.

They beat a great Dutch team, but that was in a penalty shootout. And trust me, they do NOT want to go there against Germany.  Because if they do, they might as well hand them the trophy right away. I can guarantee you that the parts of the staff of the German federation are analyzing all kinds of statistics you never heard of about every Argentinian player and their goalkeeper as we speak. They are notorious for that and hands down the best in the world. 

Both the Dutch and Argentina seemed to want a penalty shootout in yesterday's boring game. I always say that the teams that go after a penalty shootout deserve to lose that penalty shootout. Unfortunately, both teams couldn't lose yesterday.

This German team looks stronger than the ones that kicked Argentina out in both 2006 and 2010, and they have many of the same players. The opposite is the case for Argentina, other than Messi playing better this World Cup. Although he was much better in the group stage than the knockout stage. The only thing in Argentina's favor is the location. But we saw how that influenced ze Germans against Brazil.
I don't really see how you can be so confident. Yes, Germany is clearly the favorite. But favorites have been upset throughout his and every World Cup. I would have had Netherlands as a clear favorite over Argentina as well.

If you watch sports at all, especially single game elimination events, I don't see how a sports fan can be so arrogant/sure of a team. These are feelings presented as facts... Anything can happen

Last edited:
I don't really see how you can be so confident. Yes, Germany is clearly the favorite. But favorites have been upset throughout his and every World Cup. I would have had Netherlands as a clear favorite over Argentina as well.

If you watch sports at all, especially single game elimination events, I don't see how a sports fan can be so arrogant/sure of a team. These are feelings presented as facts... Anything can happen
I'm not being arrogant. Only replying to a guy who tried to downscale Germany's 7-1 obliteration as if it was no big deal, mainly because Brazil were missing Neymar and Silva.. As if the Dutch had a healthy Van Persie and De Jong. And another lie: Saying that people are "going off of the 1 game against Brazil", when Germany have looked more impressive than Argentina if we disregard the semi-finals. I know anything can happen.

• Germany made a pledge at half-time not to humiliate Brazil in their World Cup semi-final
  • When Germany were 5-0 up they discussed need to show Brazil respect

• Germany made a pledge at half-time not to humiliate Brazil in their World Cup semi-final
  • When Germany were 5-0 up they discussed need to show Brazil respect
i don't know about the pact myself, but the Germans defintely started playing keep away around 5-0 instead of the all out assault that had been going on before.

I cant believe Argentina made it to the final. After all these years of suffering we are in the final with a boring catenaccio edition of the team. Pre-tournament I predicted we'd meet (and lose) to Brazil in the final. After the completion of the group stage I was extremely disappointed with our performances but I had hope we'd improve in the KO-stage and atleast make it to the semis. Well, we have improved in the KO-stage but not in the manner expected. Going into the tournament our attack was our major strength while our defence was crap. Here we are now in the final with the tournament's best defence and a really poor attack. Germany are the clear favorites and are the superior team on paper but with Argentina's defence we have a chance. Also there will be less pressure on Argentina since no one expects them to win.

It'll be interesting to see which way the crowd swings during the final - we have had 'homefield' advantage in our first 6 matches but I'm expecting far less Argentina fans to be in attendance on Sunday. Some Brazil fans are selling their final tickets so atleast there will be less of them in attendance supporting Germany. Hopefully Di Maria is fit enough to play because he has been our only other attacker apart from Messi capable of creating anything on his own. Enzo Perez has been an excellent replacement and if Di Maria is fit, I'd prefer to drop Lavezzi for Di Maria and keep Perez as a starter. Aguero is not fit/in-form so I wouldnt even consider starting him.

Even if we lose on Sunday, I wont feel too bad since Germany is pure class and I'd much rather lose to them in the final than Brazil.

I cant believe Argentina made it to the final. After all these years of suffering we are in the final with a boring catenaccio edition of the team. Pre-tournament I predicted we'd meet (and lose) to Brazil in the final. After the completion of the group stage I was extremely disappointed with our performances but I had hope we'd improve in the KO-stage and atleast make it to the semis. Well, we have improved in the KO-stage but not in the manner expected. Going into the tournament our attack was our major strength while our defence was crap. Here we are now in the final with the tournament's best defence and a really poor attack. Germany are the clear favorites and are the superior team on paper but with Argentina's defence we have a chance. Also there will be less pressure on Argentina since no one expects them to win.

It'll be interesting to see which way the crowd swings during the final - we have had 'homefield' advantage in our first 6 matches but I'm expecting far less Argentina fans to be in attendance on Sunday. Some Brazil fans are selling their final tickets so atleast there will be less of them in attendance supporting Germany. Hopefully Di Maria is fit enough to play because he has been our only other attacker apart from Messi capable of creating anything on his own. Enzo Perez has been an excellent replacement and if Di Maria is fit, I'd prefer to drop Lavezzi for Di Maria and keep Perez as a starter. Aguero is not fit/in-form so I wouldnt even consider starting him.

Even if we lose on Sunday, I wont feel too bad since Germany is pure class and I'd much rather lose to them in the final than Brazil.

Completely agree with your analysis

Dude is just salty cuz the dutch couldn't dominate yesterday

Back
Top Bottom