Official DESIIGNER thread VOL. New English mixtape out

I mean all the charts mean is that it's the most played song
Lately it seems as radio stations have been tryna play what's "hip" and "in"
Or what the white kids have been listening to
And gates has a lot of white fans I've noticed

This is basically what is comes down to. So we should really never care about who is charting.

Yeah there are a lot of politics behind it but when you say "hottest" it's always gonna be subjective and dependent on your network and the circles you move around in.

Like I've heard maybe 3 of the top ten songs on the Hot 100 right now (Flo Rida WTF??? :lol: ).

The others don't get spins on the stations I do occasionally check or at the places I be at, but does that mean they aren't hot and getting spins elsewhere in different markets/venues or on different stations?

Edit: I will say that I've never heard Really Really when I'm out or on the radio tho :nerd: :lol:   

exactly my point!! it seems like you want to qualify an artist hot for only dealing with one demographic... if that's the case dudes should specify that because everyone ain't playing on the same field, like cats telling me Young thug the hottest rapper out... NO young thug is the hottest in his particular lane, don't tell me Cut it is a hit record, Tell me cut it is a big record in the clubs & the hood.

Their's levels to this ****, and hits and being the hottest are for those who are able to do it on all levels and all demographics.. AKA Drake, Kendrick, Cole etc etc those

Edit: I will say that I've never heard Really Really when I'm out or on the radio tho :nerd: :lol:   

They'll tell you Gates white Fans are the reason we've never heard "Really Really" anywhere...but it's a higher charted song than "cut it" or "best friend"...or peaked higher than "commas" :lol:.

:smh: at the sheep who needs radio
Or looks at the charts to see what's "hot"
How about hot just be music that YOU YOURSELF personally likes

They'll tell you Gates white Fans are the reason we've never heard "Really Really" anywhere...but it's a higher charted song than "cut it" or "best friend"...or peaked higher than "commas" :lol:.
I like really really
And damn I didn't think ot genasis had another hit in his veins
But DAMN cut it is my ****

Because that's not at all what is being discussed :lol: :lol: we're discussing how really hot a song is based on how high/low it charts, and sales.

I've also never heard Really Really and Cut It, but I hear Best Friend and 2 Phones an exponential number of times.

Nobody here is talking about that man :lol:. Just discussing how Gates numbers look funny in the light.

Has nothing to do with his quality of music. Or who likes what etc etc. Swear y'all don't read. Calm down.

Because that's not at all what is being discussed :lol: :lol: we're discussing how really hot a song is based on how high/low it charts, and sales.

I've also never heard Really Really and Cut It, but I hear Best Friend and 2 Phones an exponential number of times.

EXACTLY. Comprehension all off :lol:.

And Peep, you're living under a rock if you've never heard THIS

I hear all that on satellite
Haven't listened to terrestrial radio in about 2 years

EXACTLY. Comprehension all off :lol:.

And Peep, you're living under a rock if you've never heard THIS

He really got another banger man
I really didn't think he would do it
But maaaaam I be hype when this come on
Really thinkin bout downloading the song :lol:

i'm still waiting on why the up & coming "pop culture Icon" (sarcasm for the less mobile NT'ers) Kevin Gates is having a major label push his sales.... while other guys with much more notoriety don't have this opportunity .....

in 2016 the label that houses Wale, Meek Mill, B.o.B, Florida, Action Bronson, Boosie, Bruno Marz, Curren$y, Diggy Simmons, Ot Genasis & Plies.............. they decided let's take the extra money we have and invest in the sales of Kevin Gates over everyone else... Because surely none of these other artist on this roster would benefit more from juiced sales :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
i'm still waiting on why the up & coming "pop culture Icon" (sarcasm for the less mobile NT'ers) Kevin Gates is having a major label push his sales.... while other guys with much more notoriety don't have this opportunity .....

in 2016 the label that houses Wale, Meek Mill, B.o.B, Florida, Action Bronson, Boosie, Bruno Marz, Curren$y, Diggy Simmons, Ot Genasis & Plies.............. they decided let's take the extra money we have and invest in the sales of Kevin Gates over everyone else... Because surely none of these other artist on this roster would benefit more from juiced sales :lol: :lol:
That's a very good question

Y'all always think it's a sinister reason, or angle why labels may push an artist :lol:. Gates label just wants to make him seem bigger than he is. The bigger something looks and seems...the more people want to Fk with it.

Just like when dudes were paying for fake worldstar views before they really poppin.

Take this for example...I vividly remember when Migos dropped "RIP" video on worldstar before their YRN tape. I was familiar with the group...but wrote them off. Then I went on worldstar one day...and saw 4 mil views for that video within like 5hrs. Thought it was a "viral" hit...so I clicked on it and liked it. Ended up liking some of their music from here on and out. That's small scale...but that's the concept.

Again, I fully understand Kevin Gates appeal, concept, abilities etc etc. But even to huge fans on here who follow him (as you can see in this thread) they too think his numbers are funny.

I'm not gon back and forth with you man. We're getting nowhere. I see it one way, you see it another. I've broken down a few of your arguments..and you asked other questions :lol:.

Just waiting for NYC's savior Desiigner to drop "Pluto"...and make Future irrelevant. (Sarcasm)

I'm asking questions that are relevant to the argument... if you claim this is a tactic that labels use, why would they not use the tactic on artist who have just as big if not bigger fanbases then gates, or in other cases have bigger songs? the reasoning behind him being the artist they push money into, in a climate where record sales and radio spins demand the least importance they ever have... it just seems crazy to me.

also since your in the mood to question things and decipher labels creating fake buzz in an artist........ Let's talk about thugga one more time :lol:, because if ANYTHING is lookin funny in the light it's his entire existence

you are basically saying that Atlantic is willing to dishout Payola (which is illegal BTW) and extremely expensive, but you gladly posted thugs #'s off of youtube (which can be easily manipulated) & mixtape download #'s (another thing that's easily manipulated FOR FREE)

You posted the mixtape #'s on spinrilla, Thug on ONE mixtape that came out two months ago... has 10 million downloads, yet future who has been around longer, Had MUCH more commercial success, Is currently RUNNING that entire lane.... had a total of 17 million on his 3 peat of mixtapes which basically turned him into one of the hotter artist in the game. Nothing funny about those #'s

Best friend, a song that isn't in rotation at any NYC radio station Btw...... has 100 million views on youtube, yet his last two projects have sold 20K & 30K , ***** doing mike jack viral #'s & charles hamilton sales & yet somehow someway these numbers seem legit to you......

So looking at this in two ways, either soundscan is robbing son of sales, or the 300 & Lyor fake *** hype they been trying to build for a year ain't working and himie ain't as hot as you think

I think we can all agree that in this era sales and charting mean less as far as who's hot/influencing. The Migos can't sell records for **** but they had everybody young and old using their flow.

It is gonna be interesting to see how long this Designer dude stays around. If his whole sound is Future karaoke, how long are people gonna let that ride? Is the Kanye co-sign gonna keep him around for a while?

lol i used to work at atlantic until a few months ago but everyone loves to overplay the label role. aint no payola or juicing sales #s for kevin gates. dude legit slowly built a fanbase (that even i didnt really see)-peep his live show #s. atlantic paying all those kids to come out to shows too?

dude is a character and thats who he really is and i think with all the news of outrageous ish he did being consistent, his fanbase grew.

lol i used to work at atlantic until a few months ago but everyone loves to overplay the label role. aint no payola or juicing sales #s for kevin gates. dude legit slowly built a fanbase (that even i didnt really see)-peep his live show #s. atlantic paying all those kids to come out to shows too?

dude is a character and thats who he really is and i think with all the news of outrageous ish he did being consistent, his fanbase grew.

Man, I completely understand his fanbase. Understand and respect his grind. Enjoy some of his music, and understand his "character".

I just can't buy that "Really Really" is the #8 rap song in the country...2 Phones #2...and Gates moving 120k units his first week. Those look funny.

I think we can all agree that in this era sales and charting mean less as far as who's hot/influencing. The Migos can't sell records for **** but they had everybody young and old using their flow.

It is gonna be interesting to see how long this Designer dude stays around. If his whole sound is Future karaoke, how long are people gonna let that ride? Is the Kanye co-sign gonna keep him around for a while?

When your talking about artist being the "hottest" in the rap however, sales and spins count .... With a lot of these artist these fans are making them seem much bigger and much more influential than they actually are.

This is why i kinda do advocate Hiphop being split into sub genre's because somehow someway people think that because an artist isn't being played in the club, or getting blasted on social media that they aren't "hot" as if a cat like Tech Nine or Logic have made up people coming to their shows ot buying their records.

Migos have a major influence over a portion of hiphop and when you look at it from a grand scale that portion is Very small.

i get it. i was shocked at first week #1s and the fanbase too. i follow gates' video guy on ig (shotbyspencer) and man, those fans really come out to his shows crying like its a religious event lol

as far as radio, atlantic def has one of the best radio staffs (peep the roster and how often you hear it on the radio) flo rida been knockin out #1s for years!

but end of the day, the radio peeps gotta believe in the song enough to get it on the airwaves too. aint no payola like u heard about in the old days happenin anymore.

ppl **** on this dude only because of where hes from.

droog gets a pass cuz hes NY
bronson gets a pass because hes NY
young thug gets a pass cuz hes ATL
all the ATL future soundalikes w the migo flows all sound alike to me.

he gets unneccessary hate...panda freestyle is raw as ****

What Thug tape had 10 million dl's? I'm Up?

When your talking about artist being the "hottest" in the rap however, sales and spins count .... With a lot of these artist these fans are making them seem much bigger and much more influential than they actually are.

This is why i kinda do advocate Hiphop being split into sub genre's because somehow someway people think that because an artist isn't being played in the club, or getting blasted on social media that they aren't "hot" as if a cat like Tech Nine or Logic have made up people coming to their shows ot buying their records.

Migos have a major influence over a portion of hiphop and when you look at it from a grand scale that portion is Very small.

Nah. Everybody been using the Migos flow. It ain't just trap rappers. From Kanye, Drake to rappers that only get played in hoods. Singers have been using that ****. We gotta agree to disagree on that.

Sales and spins don't count that much today. Drake, Cole, Nicki, Kendrick are the only rappers from this era that can go platinum or close to it but they're not the only ones that are hot or influencing the game. I used to think it was dumb that a rapper that's "internet hot" can influence the game but it's true. The internet is how all these dudes get poppin. Now that doesn't always translate into white folks buying your records but that doesn't mean your not an influence. Big or small.

the argument wasn't about influence... My problem is people saying so and so is one of the hottest rappers in the game & yet their records aren't getting constant spins on radio, people aren't buying the record and there actual following isn't that strong.

You don't have to go platinum, but your not gonna convince me that one of the "hottest" rappers in the game is constantly selling btwn 20-30K. and barely hitting top 50 on billboard. 2 chainz at one point was considered the hottest in rap, he ain't go near platinum, but his album wasn't doing no damn 30k, he had actual Charting HITS, Future last year same thing, didn't go platinum but had songs that were on the charts, his record is probably at gold & his influence was felt in all rap demographics.

It's like dudes just want free reign to claim **** without having anything to back what there saying. Migos & Thugga the hottest in the game... not because they sell the most, not because they singles get the most spins, not because they have touched every demographic in hiphop... there the hottest in the game because that's what i think and hear in my mind :rolleyes

When sales are decling across the board...even with major artists...they are not the primary factor in judging who's hot anymore.

Young Thug is pretty ******* popular despite not selling millions of records. You gotta factor in a bunch of different variables these days. Its not even in the top few revenue streams for an artist anymore.

Looking at record sales to determine who's hot is like looking at PPG in the stats to determine who the best NBA players are.

^^^Very true. And rappers like Migos and Thug aren't really "album rappers". They are more mixtape rappers...who put out hit singles.

Thug is real weird with the release of his "albums" because they double as free mixtapes as well. Idk what 300 is doing.

All of Thug's "albums/tapes" that dropped are up for free streaming on soundcloud. Barter 6, I'm up, SS3. He hasn't had one real album rollout yet.

Lyor and them ***** up. I think Thug could do like 80K first week of they had a real album rollout for him. Like what they did for Fetty to a lesser extent.

I know at one point Gates was signed to Mike Caren. I'm not sure if he still is though. Or what their relationship is now.

Do your Googles.

Back
Top Bottom