***Official Breakfast Club Interview Thread***

Kinda.....to an extent.

Everything is a retail mixtape now. they're available on the streaming services for 2 weeks....then hit SoundCloud/LiveMixtapes/Datpiff for free after that.

The artist benefit from this though.
Do they really? Didn't even notice that after two weeks their albums become free (Except for Chance)

It honestly seemed(s) like everything is an album now. If it's all original music, and for sale, then that's an album to me and every artist seemingly is going by this route. I legit don't recall the last time I went to datpiff or livemixtapes for new music.

You're right though the artist definitely does benefit from this, as they should.

Krit not catching steam has nothing to do with NYC, and everything to do with the generation he's trying to appeal too not caring about lyrics like that. And he's not as good as Cole, Drake, Kendrick at making songs for the average fan.

I think Krit is ok, but he's not for me

Honestly it's hard for me to listen to artist with heavy accents.

Did Streaming kill mixtapes?

No, DJ Drama did

Then it shifted from the traditional DJ Clue/Kay Slay mixtape to artist mixtape

The question is did mixtapes kill artist albums?

Because Dave East has already released a lot of work. What else does he have to talk about?

+1 for "Artists Mixtapes killed albums"

Yep, artists started making album quality tapes, so after releasing 3+ album quality tapes, by the time they have their official album, it's often just not as good. It also killed the Jackin 4 beats style mixtapes too, which is why people act really funny when an artist releases that style of tape since they're not used to that anymore.

yea didn't really understand the point they were making with the mixtapes, if anything it just changed platforms from streaming for free to streaming on mixtape sites and paid streaming. My biggest question about this is how do they get away with putting these mixtapes on streaming sites w/o clearing samples & all of the usual album problems.

If anything this gives artist more of a reason to drop mixtapes since they could get the usual buzz they collect along with streaming giving them some tangible #'s to back things up.

yea didn't really understand the point they were making with the mixtapes, if anything it just changed platforms from streaming for free to streaming on mixtape sites and paid streaming. My biggest question about this is how do they get away with putting these mixtapes on streaming sites w/o clearing samples & all of the usual album problems.

If anything this gives artist more of a reason to drop mixtapes since they could get the usual buzz they collect along with streaming giving them some tangible #'s to back things up.
Good question. Guess it's partly because streaming is still kind of new and unregulated? Idk lol

Yep, artists started making album quality tapes, so after releasing 3+ album quality tapes, by the time they have their official album, it's often just not as good. It also killed the Jackin 4 beats style mixtapes too, which is why people act really funny when an artist releases that style of tape since they're not used to that anymore.

That style was gonna die either way because for that style to last you have to be able to really rap & that isn't the strength of too many artist these days. With that said if Kendrick, Drake or Cole did something like this there fans would go crazy. I personally think this would help Kendrick the most out of all of them because he can EASILY just go off & wreck a beat but he's heavy on complete projects so i don't think he shows this skill as often as some may like.

That style was gonna die either way because for that style to last you have to be able to really rap & that isn't the strength of too many artist these days. With that said if Kendrick, Drake or Cole did something like this there fans would go crazy. I personally think this would help Kendrick the most out of all of them because he can EASILY just go off & wreck a beat but he's heavy on complete projects so i don't think he shows this skill as often as some may like.

Very true. As much as I still like that style of mixtapes, unless it's a Houston artist or somebody like Fabolous/Lloyd Banks/Papoose, I don't really care to here a lot of current rappers going over people beats. It would be pointless to hear Uzi Vert or Rich Homie Quan on popular beats :lol: Agree with that latter part too

The combination of streaming and social media is making labels so unnecessary to me.

for the life of me i don't understand why dudes are still signing unless you have hopes of flipping rap into bigger looks, and even then chance is doing all that w/o a label.

Touring, when you breakdown it down, is expensive af. Ironically that's where ****** make all their money.

You gotta be smart, disciplined and really be willing to put A LOT of the money you generate back into yourself for pr/marketing, tour expenses, studio time, etc.

A lot of these _'s lack some or all 3 of those attributes unfortunately.

Kinda.....to an extent.

Everything is a retail mixtape now. they're available on the streaming services for 2 weeks....then hit SoundCloud/LiveMixtapes/Datpiff for free after that.

The artist benefit from this though.

Do they really? Didn't even notice that after two weeks their albums become free (Except for Chance)

Wavy referring to mix tapes not "studio albums".

Last edited:
Touring, when you breakdown it down, is expensive af. Ironically that's where ****** make all their money.

You gotta be smart, disciplined and really be willing to put A LOT of the money you generate back into yourself for pr/marketing, tour expenses, studio time, etc.

A lot of these _'s lack some or all 3 of those attributes unfortunately.

I don't thin labels are shelling out too much of that for an artist nowadays anyway, especially considering by the time an artist is signed these days they've already come with there own marketing, songs recorded & might have already did a small coastal tour. The tradeoff just doesn't seem to make sense especially in an age where you could put up a link on soundcloud, hope the right "tastemaker" finds your track and your outta here.

At the end of the day i think people have trouble finding their niche in music, If you have actual superstar potential then i could see you needing the labels help because in order to reach that level Radio/network television is needed & that's = big bucks or good relationships that new artist usually don't have.

However if your content being middle of the pack and just eating off your content i would assume being independent is much more beneficial. there's now labels who will do single deals or distribution deals that will help with promotion etc etc. I just don't see the value in signing long term 4-5 album deals at a record label in a day where they don't even know whats coming next.

for the life of me i don't understand why dudes are still signing unless you have hopes of flipping rap into bigger looks, and even then chance is doing all that w/o a label.

I'd think you have to sign to get major radio play

I'd think you have to sign to get major radio play
This is still true, but does it even matter anymore lol

DOM and his manager are both my neighbors, and this fool DOM is a damn millionaire w/o a single record in rotation. Literally has had one real "hit" in his career and that was years ago. I mean if you care about being famous then the radio matters in that regard, but even that can be achieved through online measures now.

Independent is definitely more work, but it's drastically better to me than being on a label.

I guess it's a trade off.

Every rapper signed to a major seems to have a shoe deal or some type of deal with a major company. Lil yachty signing to a major got him in target and old navy commercials :lol:

I think it depends on the artist and what plateau they think they will reach.

If you are Rich the kid, famous dex, lucci or something you might as well stay independent. Cuz you not really gonna be anybody anyways.

But imagine if I Cole Kendrick or drake stayed independent they'd be missing out on potential megastar-dom

I think it depends on the artist and what plateau they think they will reach.

If you are Rich the kid, famous dex, lucci or something you might as well stay independent. Cuz you not really gonna be anybody anyways.

But imagine if I Cole Kendrick or drake stayed independent they'd be missing out on potential megastar-dom
Maybe, but with the power of social media and word of mouth today, I would disagree.

Chance The Rapper is on his way to superstardom and he's indie. If chance could do it, someone like Drake who's buzz was even louder, could have definitely done it.

Maybe, but with the power of social media and word of mouth today, I would disagree.

Chance The Rapper is on his way to superstardom and he's indie. If chance could do it, someone like Drake who's buzz was even louder, could have definitely done it.

See but to this point, Apple put chance over the top. Non stop radio play, all these endorsements, and top level recognition. He was already doing his thing but that's an example of how partnering with a major can be beneficial.

See but to this point, Apple put chance over the top. Non stop radio play, all these endorsements, and top level recognition. He was already doing his thing but that's an example of how partnering with a major can be beneficial.
But it's not like Chance was signed to apple.

He just used his buzz as leverage to sell his project to Apple for two weeks for 500K and promotion. All he did was use tunecore to put his **** up on iTunes, apple music, spotify, etc.

That's still very independent.

Last edited:
Gotcha, makes sense. Crazy though still. I remember listening to chance in 2012 and only keeping like 4-5 tracks off acid rap. I remember thinking "this is dope, but a little too out there on some songs". I literally feel the same way :lol: his new joint had a few songs that were undeniable but a few of them were just too animated for me

Last edited:
Gotcha, makes sense. Crazy though still. I remember listening to chance in 2012 and only keeping like 4-5 tracks off acid rap. I remember thinking "this is dope, but a little too out there on some songs". I literally feel the same way
laugh.gif
his new joint had a few songs that were undeniable but a few of them were just too animated for me
I like chance's music. His melodies are dope. Juke Jam is my ****. Coloring Book was really awesome to me.

More than that though, his career arc is amazing. Guys like Chance, Dom, Nip, are the future for how Hip-Hop artists are going to move in the future I think.

Back
Top Bottom