***Official Breakfast Club Interview Thread***

C9uCF4jXsAAYJZo.jpg

The Charlamagne episode of Combat aint bad.....gives a lil bit more perspective to the Title...and how he's grown.

Two years ago...."Black Privilege" meant something entirely different to Charlamagne than it does now.

The discussion on Today's episode is awesome, and i'm about 12 min in Right now.

In a nutshell, Joe Budden believes that people in power such as LA Reid, who knows nothing about Hip-Hop, as a result is the primary reason why Hip-Hop is so melodic right now and why guys like Future are so successful today and why 'Mumble rap' is so popping right now.

I haven't watched it yet but how can he says la Reid knows nothing about hiphop.

yuppp in my Pink T yuuup in my Pink T. I remember those days.

I personally didn't care about the title of his book. I'm a fan of C Tha God & I went to school for Journalism so this was a must grab book for me. Will get into it soon as I'm done with this Tommy Hilfiger book.

I haven't watched it yet but how can he says la Reid knows nothing about hiphop.

he says LA reid has slowly made hip hop more melodic to where every top mainstream rapper has to be melodic although he doesnt go into why (as far as a deeper agenda) other than thats what sells records in r&b

it does make sense when you look at who def jam signed while he was there and epic's current roster

outkast was his only foray into hip hop prior to def jam if im not mistaken and he only signed them not like he was making records w them

it definitely makes sense tho

name one big rapper whos not melodic rn or at least tryingn to be

Last edited:
he says LA reid has slowly made hip hop more melodic to where every top mainstream rapper has to be melodic although he doesnt go into why (as far as a deeper agenda) other than thats what sells records in r&b

it does make sense when you look at who def jam signed while he was there and epic's current roster

outkast was his only foray into hip hop prior to def jam if im not mistaken and he only signed them not like he was making records w them

It definitely makes sense and it's clear as day that LA Reid has had a hand in pushing his artists to incorporate more melody but IMO, I don't know if I can attribute the shift to melody in Hip-Hop as a. whole solely to LA.

As Hip-Hop and Rap has become more pop / popularized, the fusion of genres as a whole has led to Mainstream Hip-Hop implementing more melody. Melody is a more universal sound in regards to music, so it makes sense that melody would become more omnipotent as the genre of Hip-Hop became more popular and commercialized.

remember what label ye was and is on

the dream also

who penned baby and umbrella for rihanna and bieber (also on def jam) and has given bey many hits

not suggesting some larger evil scheme just noticing connections [emoji]129300[/emoji]

Last edited:
LA Reid has said himself he don't much about hip hop or even like it. Organized Noize had to basically beg him to give 'em a shot.

During his stint at def jam, Ross, Jeezy and Jay were the biggest rappers, none of them were melodic.

Last edited:
Twists and bone thugs were very melodic and they were a long ways away from LAFace, blaming that on Reid seems kind of off.

Last edited:
DMX, Hov, Em, Nas, etc. all happened in between Bone Thugs and Future lol

someone had to shift the sound again lol

i hate when ppl do that lol

Hate when people do what? We're blaming LA for something that already existed. I don't agree with joes coments. It is what is. Also em was the wrong person for you to name because he had alot of melodic music.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom