***Official Breakfast Club Interview Thread***

I don't know what yall talking bout lol

if yall have listened to the podcast you have already read the book

he's articulated his stance on that thru multiple eps

his idea of creating opportunity is cool but then he'll double back and say things like systematic racism doesn't exist

that's when killer mike came on and shut **** down and they also had combat and pete

then ctg and schultz reverted back to the goofy s**t

Last edited:
The discussion on Today's episode is awesome, and i'm about 12 min in Right now.

In a nutshell, Joe Budden believes that people in power such as LA Reid, who knows nothing about Hip-Hop, as a result is the primary reason why Hip-Hop is so melodic right now and why guys like Future are so successful today and why 'Mumble rap' is so popping right now.

Eh. LA Reid also provided us with Outkast and Goodie Mob.

The discussion on Today's episode is awesome, and i'm about 12 min in Right now.

In a nutshell, Joe Budden believes that people in power such as LA Reid, who knows nothing about Hip-Hop, as a result is the primary reason why Hip-Hop is so melodic right now and why guys like Future are so successful today and why 'Mumble rap' is so popping right now.

5 mins in.....not feeling it.

Close minded discussions. Close minded grouping and conversations from Akademiks and Budden (although Budden is more open minded here).

To Akademiks and Budden....ONLY rappers with the image and appeal of Cole, Kendrick, Big Sean, Wale....and Drake....can be considered "top tier" rappers. They'll tell you Future makes "low quality" and disposable music.....Meanwhile.....March Madness is in rotations over 2 years later....as well as countless other songs :lol:.

Never mind that they use flows and production (Big Sean & Drake & Kendrick on his new album) that Future put to the forefront.

Nah...Future is a "mumble rapper" and must only be seen in the group with Yachty and Uzi and 21 Savage [emoji]128580[/emoji]. This is the same shortsighted line of thinking that groups Migos as "Mumble rappers". It's lazy.....and a slight to Future who's been in the game since 2010 putting out quality.

There is a reason why Kendrick Lamar brought Future out and performed with him the other night. There is a reason why Future is considered one of Nas' favorite rappers today. There is a reason why Drake did a whole entire tape and mimicked Future...and asked to be on Ds2. There is a reason why Jay-Z worked with Future. There's a reason why Big Sean recruited Metro Boomin for his new album. Or Outkast and dungeon family affiliations and features.

Low quality mumble rappers who aren't top tier don't have that kind of impact and reach.

But Hip Hop will only tell you that the backpack rappers.... birthed from Kanye's post 808s of the late 2000s/early 10's....are the only rappers worthy of being top tier.

:lol:

Last edited:
5 mins in.....not feeling it.

Close minded discussions. Close minded grouping and conversations from Akademiks and Budden (although Budden is more open minded here).

To Akademiks and Budden....ONLY rappers with the image and appeal of Cole, Kendrick, Big Sean, Wale....and Drake....can be considered "top tier" rappers. They'll tell you Future makes "low quality" and disposable music.....Meanwhile.....March Madness is in rotations over 2 years later....as well as countless other songs
laugh.gif

Never mind that they use flows and production (Big Sean & Drake & Kendrick on his new album) that Future put to the forefront.

Nah...Future is a "mumble rapper" and must only be seen in the group with Yachty and Uzi and 21 Savage [emoji]128580[/emoji]. This is the same shortsighted line of thinking that groups Migos as "Mumble rappers". It's lazy.....and a slight to Future who's been in the game since 2010 putting out quality.

There is a reason why Kendrick Lamar brought Future out and performed with him the other night. There is a reason why Future is considered one of Nas' favorite rappers today. There is a reason why Drake did a whole entire tape and mimicked Future...and asked to be on Ds2. There is a reason why Jay-Z worked with Future. There's a reason why Big Sean recruited Metro Boomin for his new album. Or Outkast and dungeon family affiliations and features.

Low quality mumble rappers who aren't top tier don't have that kind of impact and reach.

But Hip Hop will only tell you that the backpack rappers.... birthed from Kanye's post 808s of the late 2000s/early 10's....are the only rappers worthy of being top tier.

laugh.gif
Ahhh, I see you're point.

You're saying that there's a flaw in the perception of what it means to be a top tier rapper. And to an extent I agree.

But Joe's point I believe is that  Super isn't crazy with the bars. He can't be a top tier rapper if his strength isn't necessarily rapping. There's no doubting future's impact as a rapper today and on impact alone he could definitely be considered a top tier rapper, but as far as actually spitting is where the differentiating occurs in that discussion.

Haha I agree, with this sentiment.

But it's an intriguing point though. He talks about like 10 years ago, LA told Joe that he had "Too many words" in his raps, and fast forward now mainstream Hip-Hop is exactly that. He said guys like LA Reid, who aren't versed in Hip-Hop at all but versed in R&B, and as a result have made Hip-Hop more melody infused.

Idk, I'm a fan of everyday struggle lol this episode so far has been the best yet

this sounds like a good watch

joe probably got a lot of industry info he can share when hes not yelling

CTG been lookin funny in the light. The Tomi Lauren situation and the fact that he does show with a blatant racist and that's his friend is all I needed to know.
Nobody said that. :lol:

dude up there said the title black privilege perpetuates white supremacy

in charlamagnes context it says on the cover "black privilege: opportunity comes to those who create it"

Last edited:

You're saying that there's a flaw in the perception of what it means to be a top tier rapper. And to an extent I agree.

But Joe's point I believe is that  Super isn't crazy with the bars. He can't be a top tier rapper if his strength isn't necessarily rapping. There's no doubting future's impact as a rapper today and on impact alone he could definitely be considered a top tier rapper, but as far as actually spitting is where the differentiating occurs in that discussion.

And to that, I would remind Joe that many people don't champion Pac as an astounding emcee who was crazy with the bars, yet you'd be hard pressed to find many people who don't put him in the top 10 and they truly appreciate the culture. Now I'm not saying that Future is on par with Tupac, just pointing out how lazy that argument is.

Last edited:
There are plenty of people who DO consider PAC a lyricist. That's always been thing. The argument with PAC is was he as (Keyword: AS) technically skilled as some of his contemporaries, primarily Biggie.

Last edited:
Yea nobody says Pac can't rap just when you compare him to BIG's level of pure rapping skill he wasn't as nice

If we're going by "actually spitting".....then there are a host of rappers without the same fanfare as the Big Sean's, Drakes and Cole's of the world that are better rappers than those guys. (check out Noveliss from Clear Soul Forces).

Hell, we don't even know if Drake even pens his bars :lol:. I don't think Future's rapping ability is a weakness. He's adequate enough in that department as a technical rapper. Obviously, he's not some elite lyricist....but he can rap on a basic level....and says things that resonate with the listener, along with good production and inventive flows and melodies.

It's hilarious how Kanye was able to be included in those top tier rappers discussions...and people would point to things like his productions, melodies, and pushing the genre forward.....while being below average as a "spitter"....But Future gets slapped on the wrist, and immediately dismissed :smh: :lol:.

Image, is VERY important in how we view an artist. I've always been tight about this because there was a time when hip hop purist would tell you Lil Boosie couldn't rap....and had no "substance".

Kind of related to this topic....but Nas posted some pics a few months ago on his IG talking about Supers album....and the "Hip Hop purist" were going at Nas in his comments.

My post from the Future thread:

Always dope to see Nas promote Future the way he does Nas "gets it". All the dusty "hip hop purists" were in Nas' comments last week talking down on him for promoting Future. **** was comical and close minded :lol:.

Article from a few months ago about how big of a fan he is :pimp:

https://www.google.com/amp/djbooth.net/mobile/feature-amp/2016-05-19-nas-fan-of-future

View media item 2344944

Greatness recognizes greatness

I just try to encourage criticism to be a lil more open minded when it comes to rap. Far too often....do we as a rap culture try to pigeonhole certain artist into certain spheres and run with narratives. It's lazy. It's like when casual basketball fans think Russell Westbrook is a good defender.

Peel back a lil bit.....listen with a different ear or perspective.

Nas probably just doesn't want to sound like the bitter old head.

He once was sneaking uzis on the island in his army jacket lining. He told Nore to step his rap game up.

CTG been lookin funny in the light. The Tomi Lauren situation and the fact that he does show with a blatant racist and that's his friend is all I needed to know.
Nobody said that. :lol:

dude up there said the title black privilege perpetuates white supremacy

in charlamagnes context it says on the cover "black privilege: opportunity comes to those who create it"

And in CTG's context he's one of these _'s that thinks cuz white people put them on TV that things are all good. CTG done had plenty of c**ning moments. Building your is great and people should do it but it ain't that simple. Black economics has always been seen as a threat to white people. Tulsa Oklahoma, Rosewood in Florida, places in the Carolina's. Black people been building their own only for it to be sabotaged or attacked outta jealousy.

Please stop trying to make future more then he is

I'm saying :lol:

And in CTG's context he's one of these _'s that thinks cuz white people put them on TV that things are all good. CTG done had plenty of c**ning moments. Building your is great and people should do it but it ain't that simple. Black economics has always been seen as a threat to white people. Tulsa Oklahoma, Rosewood in Florida, places in the Carolina's. Black people been building their own only for it to be sabotaged or attacked outta jealousy.

You might want to listen to his podcast on Combat Jack

Last edited:
Ultimately we can agree to disagree on liking the music, or anything else for that matter. But people have the right to be, and ought to be, when the arguments used against something or someone are futile, lazy, and used only to fit into some antagonist rhetoric.

kind of a separate convo but can you elaborate on places in the carolinas

kind of a separate convo but can you elaborate on places in the carolinas

https://www.bbnomics.com/campaigns/black-wall-street/

Idk if I'll read the book, that's just because my reading backlog is too long currently, kinda interested in it tho. Lately he's been able to form his own opinion and drop a lil bit of science. Earlier on he never really had an original thought, it was always "so and so said." Or "i read." Etc.

Also heard that French and Swae Lee joint this weekend and Swae's part goes, but The Weeknd gotta be in the crib ski'd up wondering when the **** I record this ****? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom