***Official Breakfast Club Interview Thread***

His first solo album yes, but I believe Mos goes back to the late native tongues era, bush babies, LONS, beatnuts etc. Blackstar I would consider 'underground'

While Mos first album was a classic, that was around the time people were moving away from the shiney suit era, that helped.

In the early 90's, Mos Def would have fit in. Because there was no stereotype of a rapper, it was about how good you were. Because every rapper besides the west coast had to be original, or you were deemed wack or a copy cat.

By the late 90's it had changed and the Puff and Master P era had taken over. Rap shifted and became more commercial and club.

A lot of dudes wouldn't have gotten deals in the early 90's, but they were helped out because they were the alternative by the late 90's. So they built careers off it.

A lot of **** is about timing and coming out at the right time. People like Nelly or DMX came out at the right time. DMX brought the streets and pain back. 50 brought the streets back. That's why the same dudes couldn't get deals or a release at one point, but a few years later could and came out and smashed ****.

Some **** I listened to back then, like J-Zone or Aesop Rock bores the **** out of me now. There's only a few artist from back then like that first Cannibal Ox, Non-Phixon and Jedi Mind Tricks that I can even **** with now.

You can be a underground rapper and become mainstream though. Eminem was a underground rapper. If Dre never hears him his career would have been totally different. He just had the rare talent of being able to craft songs that could appeal to the masses.

If you were only going gold back then you were considered underground. The top selling rappers in the 90's and early 00's were moving 4-10 mil.

I think Cole and Kendrick are in the same vein as Nas to an extent. Them dudes ear for hit making, subject matter and versatility are too in tune to be an underground rapper back in the 90s. They also have street elements to them.

I agree with this especially with Kendrick. He's always reminded me of Nas more than anybody. Most of his music is stories about him growing up around Bloods and Crips. Just like Nas was telling stories about dudes he grew up with.

In the early 90's, Mos Def would have fit in. Because there was no stereotype of a rapper, it was about how good you were. Because every rapper besides the west coast had to be original, or you were deemed wack or a copy cat.

By the late 90's it had changed and the Puff and Master P era had taken over. Rap shifted and became more commercial and club.

A lot of dudes wouldn't have gotten deals in the early 90's, but they were helped out because they were the alternative by the late 90's. So they built careers off it.

A lot of **** is about timing and coming out at the right time. People like Nelly or DMX came out at the right time. DMX brought the streets and pain back. 50 brought the streets back. That's why the same dudes couldn't get deals or a release at one point, but a few years later could and came out and smashed ****.

Some **** I listened to back then, like J-Zone or Aesop Rock bores the **** out of me now. There's only a few artist from back then like that first Cannibal Ox, Non-Phixon and Jedi Mind Tricks that I can even **** with now.

You can be a underground rapper and become mainstream though. Eminem was a underground rapper. If Dre never hears him his career would have been totally different. He just had the rare talent of being able to craft songs that could appeal to the masses.

Can't argue with any of this. Spot on.

Beans was a street rapper signed with a mainstream crew but he wasn't really mainstream. I would put him and Styles P in the same group.

It's crazy how much rap has changed. DMX first 2 albums sold 7 mil in the same year and his music was dark and grimey as hell. A label wouldn't know how to market him today.

If you were only going gold back then you were considered underground. The top selling rappers in the 90's and early 00's were moving 4-10 mil.

I think Cole and Kendrick are in the same vein as Nas to an extent. Them dudes ear for hit making, subject matter and versatility are too in tune to be an underground rapper back in the 90s. They also have street elements to them.

I agree with this especially with Kendrick. He's always reminded me of Nas more than anybody. Most of his music is stories about him growing up around Bloods and Crips. Just like Nas was telling stories about dudes he grew up with.
Nas is better though....

Beans was a street rapper signed with a mainstream crew but he wasn't really mainstream. I would put him and Styles P in the same group.

It's crazy how much rap has changed. DMX first 2 albums sold 7 mil in the same year and his music was dark and grimey as hell. A label wouldn't know how to market him today.

Yeah it's crazy.

They would want to change up DMX.

Would they really try to change up X?

A guy like Keef had plenty of steam & his music was straight up gritty.

Say what you will about Cole Kendrick or Drake...... If they choose to diss damn near anybody, CURTAINS. 

Pusha is another example of a rapper who can thrive making street rap, he's remained relevant, gets big placements, sells out tours... and if we are talkin purely content, he's one of the grittiest out.

in all actuality Push is the premier street rapper out

Would they really try to change up X?

A guy like Keef had plenty of steam & his music was straight up gritty.

Keef didn't sell and got dropped

Pusha is another example of a rapper who can thrive making street rap, he's remained relevant, gets big placements, sells out tours... and if we are talkin purely content, he's one of the grittiest out.

in all actuality Push is the premier street rapper out

Jeezy

Last edited:
King push >>
But my dude push will never be mainstream or sell big records.

I think a young DMX/50 type rapper who doesn't give a **** and is wild/entertaining on social media is gonna be the one to dethrone Drake by like 2018/2020.

Fans don't care about him showing up late

Keef had so many copycats and every artist from Chicago was getting a deal and the whole drill sound was done by so many he wasn't special anymore. That happen quick before he could even put out an album.

DMX had been trying to get a deal since the late 80's. He had naturally changed rapping styles over that time like Jay. Remember he had beef with K-Solo over the spelling. K Solo was washed by the time Hit Squad broke up.

I think a young DMX/50 type rapper who doesn't give a **** and is wild/entertaining on social media is gonna be the one to dethrone Drake by like 2018/2020.

I do also

Last edited:
Fans don't care about him showing up late

Keef had so many copycats and every artist from Chicago was getting a deal and the whole drill sound was done by so many he wasn't special anymore. That happen quick before he could even put out an album.

I do also
Also wouldn't be surprised
If drakes the one who signs the kid

Drake gotta know where the line stops. We don't need a moist *** verse on a tough *** song from a DMX esque type artist. "I got blood on my **** cuz I ****** a corpse, tell em drake"
"I got blood on my lips cuz its that time of the monthhhhhh"

Drake gotta know where the line stops. We don't need a moist *** verse on a tough *** song from a DMX esque type artist. "I got blood on my **** cuz I ****** a corpse, tell em drake"
"I got blood on my lips cuz its that time of the monthhhhhh"
:rofl:
Bruh real talk
Why u don't like drake
Like damn
U never give dude any credit :lol:

Back
Top Bottom