***Official Breakfast Club Interview Thread***

Why do yall keep egging those corny posts on???

French made a solid point about most newer artists not having a lifestyle or a story(outside of the "struggle") It's the same way with basketball too. Personality is pretty much gone.

Reminds me of when dude on twitter said J cole is a 30 year old man rapping like he's home for thanksgiving during his first semester at college.

That makes no sense considering Cole is one of the mot introspective cats in rap, same with Kendrick... that's the reason they don't necessarily need huge singles to sell records. you know who these guys are what they stand for, how they grew up etc etc & most of that is due strictly to the music.

Introspective as in putting a song about losing your virginity out in your 30s?

People make it seem like having huge singles is a bad thing now. Dudes get praise for any little thing. Put out an album with no features. OK cool. Features are great. No features are great....

I miss an old fashioned remix personally not just the same song with 4 extra people on it.

They all do their thing but Cole, Kendrick and Drake are ridiculously overrated. They all benefited from a weak era in music.

Why do yall keep egging those corny posts on???
Introspective as in putting a song about losing your virginity out in your 30s?

People make it seem like having huge singles is a bad thing now. Dudes get praise for any little thing. Put out an album with no features. OK cool. Features are great. No features are great....

I miss an old fashioned remix personally not just the same song with 4 extra people on it.

They all do their thing but Cole, Kendrick and Drake are ridiculously overrated. They all benefited from a weak era in music.

that's subjective, you can argue that they wouldn't survive in that era.... where as i can SHOW you that not many from prior era's of rap can survive today.

Them surviving might be subjective but we all know they wouldn't be on the same pedestal as they are now. Drake especially.

There are more variables to surviving today than it was back then. Even rappers who fell off still have songs/albums/mixtapes that still resonate to this day across the board not just with their fans/stans. I can't say the same for those guys.

Last edited:
Them surviving might be subjective but we all know they wouldn't be on the same pedestal as they are now. Drake especially.

There are more variables to surviving today than it was back then. Even rappers who fell off still have songs/albums/mixtapes that still resonate to this day across the board not just with their fans/stans. I can't say the same for those guys.
It’s a different era, the sound is different. What Drake is doing now has never been done before. Maybe Ja Rule to a lesser degree, but Drake’s music hits like few rap artists’ have.

The subject matter has changed. It’s not cool to be thuggin’ anymore. Cole and Kendrick would have been “nerds” 15 years ago, but they’re the type of music that’s poppin’ now. 

I be tryna give French some leeway
But nah I think dude is special
Simple questions it seems like he struggles to find answers
Like u can see his brain thinkin
I think I heard he was shot in the head so that could be a reason
But damn he be seeming slow
roll.gif

Man French stop making that trash music then maybe ppl will buy it , i only listen to street music when im driving or in the gym . But you wont get this 9.99 or 12.99 out of me .

None of these street cats are ever gonna go platinum without substance .

Last edited:
So Kanye didn't know who Max B was
mean.gif
Honestly besides being heavy in the NY scene i wouldn't know Stacks (R.I.P) , Paul Cain & all those DJ clue tapes . but to keep it 100 what has Max B done in this Music world ? did he leave that much of a positive impact ?

I live in Cali
And had a bunch of max b music in 07/08
No excuse
Kanye west a herb
A wanna be
An infiltrator
That's what he is
A self important infiltrator

If not for max b Jim wouldn't have gave us
The better than they needed to be
Harlem diary of a summer
And hustlers pome
Max gave dude the lyrics and blueprint
Not to mention I see all these folks stole dude style musically
A lot of dudes stole from the silver surfer
He woulda been EATING in this day and age in hip hop
Plus his personality
Dude woulda crossed over and been bigger than Taylor swift

Honestly besides being heavy in the NY scene i wouldn't know Stacks (R.I.P) , Paul Cain & all those DJ clue tapes . but to keep it 100 what has Max B done in this Music world ? did he leave that much of a positive impact ?

Like Wiz said, he showed why he isn't wavey

Kanye was in New York at the time and that was a couple of years removed from him working with Dip Set and Cam.

If he didn't know what was going on in New York in 2006?

That's why I'm amazed people follow Kanye or care about his kicks. Son jumped the shark a long time ago.

Been knew Ye ain't Wavy. He ain't been right since 08 anyway......When Big9aVel was lighting the circuit up with PD3. Classic.

"City with no ****" :pimp:

It’s a different era, the sound is different. What Drake is doing now has never been done before. Maybe Ja Rule to a lesser degree, but Drake’s music hits like few rap artists’ have.

The subject matter has changed. It’s not cool to be thuggin’ anymore. Cole and Kendrick would have been “nerds” 15 years ago, but they’re the type of music that’s poppin’ now. 

I don't think Cole and Kendrick would be "nerds" at all. But they would be straight underground emcees and not mainstream. Straight Rawkus/Hiero type rappers.

Drake is making simp music. That was never acceptable. But his lane is in the Ja Rule/Mase/LL/Nelly lane. Not many rappers have tried to appeal specifically to females.

I don't think that's the case, there's no balance in music now. So, if you're not talking about the usual, you're labeled as a 'nerd' I guess.

Magic33 Magic33 is 100% correct in saying back in the day these guys would've been considered 'underground'

That '07 Kanye vs 50 thing really changed the way rap music is being pushed and received.

No coincidence that the new class of rappers that followed all have had commercial success. Drake, Wale, Wiz, Kudi, Cole to a lesser extent and all the back rapper type rappers around that time that were coming up got a nice push....and the popular music went from mostly the streets...to the Internet. The Internet really started popping during the MySpace/Twitter era where these guys were building their core loyal fanbases.

I think Cole and Kendrick are in the same vein as Nas to an extent. Them dudes ear for hit making, subject matter and versatility are too in tune to be an underground rapper back in the 90s. They also have street elements to them.

***** don't realize that Kendrick and Cole routinely do pop features with the likes of Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Jidenna etc etc. My guy Kendrick be giving these pop stars effortless throw away verses in his off season :lol:.

Underground isn't/wasn't a genre.

Mos Def, Outkast, Fugees, etc weren't considered underground and violence/sex weren't dominant themes in their music.

He'll Common got a Grammy nod in the early 2000s.

It's not a genre, but those guys you mentioned got airplay and there was a balance on the radio to allow them to get to the masses. Hip hop should definitely have sub genres IMO.

The Common in the 2000's was a totally different Common from "can i borrow a dollar"

Underground isn't/wasn't a genre.

Mos Def, Outkast, Fugees, etc weren't considered underground and violence/sex weren't dominant themes in their music.

He'll Common got a Grammy nod in the early 2000s.

Mos Def was considered underground. Talib was considered underground.

They came out of Rawkus. Rawkus wasn't a major.

Outkast and The Fugees weren't because they were out before that. Just like Tribe and De La. The underground didn't start bubbling until the late 90's when almost everything was shiny suit or street. That became the alternative.

Common, Outkast and The Fugees were all on majors.

heres what doesnt add up, why did kanye tweet all that stuff about respecting max b if he didnt know who he was? did he just youtube him real quick after wiz tweeted in between responding? thats super weird he wouldn't know who max was. 

His first solo album yes, but I believe Mos goes back to the late native tongues era, bush babies, LONS, beatnuts etc. Blackstar I would consider 'underground'

While Mos first album was a classic, that was around the time people were moving away from the shiney suit era, that helped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mos Def's debut went gold and had two singles that charted.

We're going to have to define what "underground" means here.

Underground rap sold, because it was an alternative to mainstream rap. That's how it became a subgenre and how Rawkus birthed dozens of other indie labels. Before that all indies had folded in the early 90's when rap became commercial and majors started swallowing them up or putting them out of business.

The Fugees sold 10 million.

Black On Both Sides had production from Psycho Les, Ayatolla, Diamond and 88 Keys. That's as underground as you can get.

Back
Top Bottom