***Official Breakfast Club Interview Thread***

Just peeped the Troy Ave interview and all I could do was :smh: at some of his comments. I'ma listen to the album because of recommendations, but son's attitude and approach is the reason NY artists ain't blowing on a larger level.

Listen to this joint I'm linking below and this is fans/artists from the South perspective in a nutshell. ****** hate on the South all yall want but be we ON TOP and we never hated on NY, Cali, etc. I grew up banging artists from everywhere, but NY artists wonder why they don't get to a larger level. The public don't **** with the "typical NY sound" anymore.

MOVE AROUND FA DA SOUF!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVfG4NfSHNE‎

Just peeped the Troy Ave interview and all I could do was :smh: at some of his comments. I'ma listen to the album because of recommendations, but son's attitude and approach is the reason NY artists ain't blowing on a larger level.

Listen to this joint I'm linking below and this is fans/artists from the South perspective in a nutshell. ****** hate on the South all yall want but be we ON TOP and we never hated on NY, Cali, etc. I grew up banging artists from everywhere, but NY artists wonder why they don't get to a larger level. The public don't **** with the "typical NY sound" anymore.

What?

He didn't say anything you should have gotten offended by.

The south sound will play out just like every other sound.

And "sons" attitude is what New York artist need to have. Stop trying to copy and chase a sound, and do what you do. That's what Kendrick did. That's what the south did. New York stopped making songs for the clubs when the Bad Boy era was over. People forgot 50's biggest hit was In Da

Yea I think outta of everyone from NY trying to put NY back on top Troy seems to have the best approach no crying no excuses I'm just gonna make good music

I think Maino and Troy are two of the few who realize it's not just about radio and what they're playing, but also the music artist are making. If you aren't making good or radio accessible songs, you aren't getting played.

That's why Hi Hater and All Of The Above got play.

DITC didn't get play on the radio, nor did they expect to be. You have dudes making songs that aren't radio friendly expecting to get radio play just because they're from the city. That's not how it goes, and that's never been the way it went. That's why you had Stretch and Bob, and dudes went up there before they were ready for WBLS and KISS.

And people acting like Hot 97 is some sort of staple in hip hop culture in New York :smh: They were like Power when they came to the scene, but I digress.

people acting like Hot 97 is some sort of staple in hip hop culture in New York

they are no longer the end all be all of NY music but you can't be serious about it not being a staple fam :smh:

they are no longer the end all be all of NY music but you can't be serious about it not being a staple fam :smh:

I'm in my 30's

The golden era was in the late 80's and early to mid 90's. Hot 97 wasn't even around for any of that. So during the most important phases of New York hip hop, they didn't even exist. It was BLS and KISS....Hot 97 came as a monopoly when Emmis bought Kiss. The very same thing Power did.

The only people who think of Hot 97 being a staple, are ones too young to know any better.

Being dolo doesn't make you a staple. It just means that the people had no real alternative so that's all they had to listen too, because they put the competitors out of business. Which is why Clear Channel came with Power, because radio became corporate instead of local.

Last edited:
so because it didn't have a prominent position in hiphop for a six year period.... Then next 10-20 years of their existence is irrelevant to NY rap?

just the fact that you mention Hot97 to any hiphop listener and they automatically know it's a hiphop station in NY should be enough to let you know there a staple, not just for young but anyone who has grew up in NYC. Do you know how many artist built their buzz heavily from Hot 97 and the work their employees (Flex, angie, Enuf, Envy, Clue) etc etc...

so because it didn't have a prominent position in hiphop for a six year period.... Then next 10-20 years of their existence is irrelevant to NY rap?

just the fact that you mention Hot97 to any hiphop listener and they automatically know it's a hiphop station in NY should be enough to let you know there a staple, not just for young but anyone who has grew up in NYC. Do you know how many artist built their buzz heavily from Hot 97 and the work their employees (Flex, angie, Enuf, Envy, Clue) etc etc...

Dude, do you not get......Hot 97 wasn't even around for many of the developments in New York hip hop. So that's 20 years of New York hip hop they missed out on.

They know it because it's New York, not for what they've done for the culture, because they did absolutely nothing for the culture, but bring Star & Buckwild and Flex to fame. But hey...it's where hip hop lives, right? What were they around for Bad Boy, Jay, 50, Nore, Busta? And what artist did they break?

Again, the only reason they broke anyone, is because there was no real alternative for a good portion of their existence. WBLS didn't have the money to compete with a corporation and they turned KISS's format over to Hot 97. So of course you're going to give your song to Hot 97 first.

Anyone who grew up in the 70's and 80's didn't grow up on Hot 97.

How old are you?

Last edited:
al i know is

when i lived in newark

i woke up to a million and one

every day

because my radio was on hot 97.

draw your own conclusions.

lol @ anyone who grew up in the 70s doesnt care about hot97

that's hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:
al i know is

when i lived in newark

i woke up to a million and one

every day

because my radio was on hot 97.

draw your own conclusions.

lol @ anyone who grew up in the 70s doesnt care about hot97

that's hilarious.

Thanks for proving my point...and that was what....1996...97?

What was the alternative in 1997?

And did I say anyone who grew up in the 70's doesn't care about Hot 97, or do you need to re-read?

Anyone who grew up in the 70's and 80's didn't grow up on Hot 97.

well, duh, anyone who grew up in the 70s didn't grow up on rap music, period.

the alternative was to listen to some guy like you talking about how awful hot 97 is....

meanwhile, everyone woke up to it.

you're only 30? you make yourself sound waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay older with some of the stuff you type in here.

I think Maino and Troy are two of the few who realize it's not just about radio and what they're playing, but also the music artist are making. If you aren't making good or radio accessible songs, you aren't getting played.

That's why Hi Hater and All Of The Above got play.

DITC didn't get play on the radio, nor did they expect to be. You have dudes making songs that aren't radio friendly expecting to get radio play just because they're from the city. That's not how it goes, and that's never been the way it went. That's why you had Stretch and Bob, and dudes went up there before they were ready for WBLS and KISS.

And people acting like Hot 97 is some sort of staple in hip hop culture in New York :smh: They were like Power when they came to the scene, but I digress.

they still are the standard in NYC hip hop... it is what it is.

aint nobody like imma listen to Power for that new hot joint or i cant wait til DJ Self or DJ Will comes on so i can here them dropping that "gwinin / da union" sample over a waka flocka or tamar braxton track.

stop it.

its more like, imma wait for that New at 2p w/ camilo or mister cee has all the new remixes and plays them all at 12p or angie and enuff got XYZ on today imma listen to that or Flex got the whole MMG / TDE etc.. at the station tonite let me hear that freestyle...

So your arguing that because they had no competition they weren't relevant in NY hiphop?

Because they didn't play Nas, WU & Biggie they weren't important in NY hiphop history?

What about all those years from 94-mid 2000's where they were supporting those acts, having classic interviews up there, ALL of the classic hiphop freestyles that have went on over there. The classic concerts.

We are going to disregard all of hiphop after 94 because YOU don't think it's the golden era

Were they not around for Jay-Z? , Were they not very big in helping 50's Takeover, Were they not one of the catalyst behind the hype btwn Jay/Nas battle, Cam'ron and the diplomats becoming the movement they were, The ENTIRE bad boy movement?

HOT 97 is integral to NYC hiphop once again i'm 25 yrs old i'm not gonna sit here and be dismissed on some ******** you wasn't of age so i'm gonna rewrite history ****.... Let's not even get to how crucial The mixtape has been in Hiphop and many of the most influential mixtape DJ's of that time worked for Hot 97.

I'm in my 30's

The golden era was in the late 80's and early to mid 90's. Hot 97 wasn't even around for any of that. So during the most important phases of New York hip hop, they didn't even exist. It was BLS and KISS.....

Hot hired every dj that was hot in the clubs and BROKE records during the years they missed, so not being there isnt there fault but maikng up for it by putting cats up there that would rep the culture and know what it took to build the culture is how they won.

and not having any comp?

true :lol:

but doesnt mean that they were trash..

1993 BTW

Last edited:
So your arguing that because they had no competition they weren't relevant in NY hiphop?

Because they didn't play Nas, WU & Biggie they weren't important in NY hiphop history?

What about all those years from 94-mid 2000's where they were supporting those acts, having classic interviews up there, ALL of the classic hiphop freestyles that have went on over there. The classic concerts.

We are going to disregard all of hiphop after 94 because YOU don't think it's the golden era

Were they not around for Jay-Z? , Were they not very big in helping 50's Takeover, Were they not one of the catalyst behind the hype btwn Jay/Nas battle, Cam'ron and the diplomats becoming the movement they were, The ENTIRE bad boy movement?

HOT 97 is integral to NYC hiphop once again i'm 25 yrs old i'm not gonna sit here and be dismissed on some ******** you wasn't of age so i'm gonna rewrite history ****.... Let's not even get to how crucial The mixtape has been in Hiphop and many of the most influential mixtape DJ's of that time worked for Hot 97.

So Hot 97 is all you know

well, duh, anyone who grew up in the 70s didn't grow up on rap music, period.

the alternative was to listen to some guy like you talking about how awful hot 97 is....

meanwhile, everyone woke up to it.

you're only 30? you make yourself sound waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay older with some of the stuff you type in here.

huh

Hot hired every dj that was hot in the clubs and BROKE records during the years they missed, so not being there isnt there fault but maikng up for it by putting cats up there that would rep the culture and know what it took to build the culture is how they won.

and not having any comp?

true :lol:

but doesnt mean that they were trash..

1993 BTW

Did Hot 97 help build up New York hip hop or tear it down?

Like I was saying, Hot 97 was the beginning of the end for local radio. Hot 97 was Emmis. They had the money to put out their competitors and pay for the best in the city. That's when Hot 97 and their DJ's got hit with the payola label. Why, because they weren't breaking many artist and it was becoming increasingly more difficult to get played.

So yes, if you want to get your stuff played, of course you're going to go to Hot 97, because they have bigger names.

But has it been good for New York hip hop?

Because the same way corporations invaded the music, they did the same to radio and watered everything down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom