Official BBQ thread

I do a ton of grilling...and always use mustard on my ribs and pork shoulders to help my ribs stick. You definitely don’t taste the mustard but I feel it works better than olive or vegetable oil with rubs.
3A99D9F2-BA05-45C8-A12E-1AE66C027CD3.jpeg
FB8BFD53-F92C-4F8F-AE2D-58CAC87CC9B9.jpeg

I kinda winged :lol: the rub. I watched one of the videos DC linked to that Malcolm guy on YouTube. He mentioned that corn starch added to the rub as well makes it crispy...kinda tossed in corn startch, pepper, salt, garlic, and sweet heat crushed red pepper. Threw them right over the coals at first and they chared up quick. (Coals had to have been damn near 8-900 degrees... Finished on indirect with some hickory wood for smoke flavor.
Made some sweet Thai chili, caribbean jerk from bww, and some with sweet and spicy sweet baby Ray's. They all came out pretty damn good
20200503_171826.jpg

20200503_175114.jpg

I don’t like chicken breasts but I smoked some at around 300 until they were done so like 45 minutes and they were actually edible.

costco was out of thighs.

I kinda winged :lol: the rub. I watched one of the videos DC linked to that Malcolm guy on YouTube. He mentioned that corn starch added to the rub as well makes it crispy...kinda tossed in corn startch, pepper, salt, garlic, and sweet heat crushed red pepper. Threw them right over the coals at first and they chared up quick. (Coals had to have been damn near 8-900 degrees... Finished on indirect with some hickory wood for smoke flavor.
Made some sweet Thai chili, caribbean jerk from bww, and some with sweet and spicy sweet baby Ray's. They all came out pretty damn good
20200503_171826.jpg

20200503_175114.jpg

:rofl: @ 900 degrees.

Glad you had fun with it, you get better each time. Trust. Just keep doing it often.

Buy CHarcoal when it is on sale! Lowes and Walmarts are good places to look. They might have mother's day sales soon

Throwing Chicken Breast in a Sous Vide bath and then grilling may be my favorite way to cook them now

My sous vide gets in tomorrow cant wait to test it out.

Any recs on the finish aspect on the grill? Havent done that yet before

My sous vide gets in tomorrow cant wait to test it out.

Any recs on the finish aspect on the grill? Havent done that yet before
Nothing special on my end really. I just patting them thangs down for a dry surface and making sure you're temp is hot enough so you can get some good and quick searing without over cooking. Flip every minute or so until you got a nice sear on all sides and you're gucci.

I didn't want to get a torch so I just stick to a grill or pan searing

Not needed but Grillgrates are a pretty nice toy for searing too

That looks good. I do mine on the top of my chimney starter - only needs about 6" of charcoal and takes about 15 minutes to get ripping hot. Just needs a minute or so each side to get a good sear.

Just smoked some chicken wings. Pretty tasty - although I’m not sure about the Old Bay seasoning, I think it’s a bit much on small pieces of meat.

0F43DDE3-7222-4C03-A68F-01F78ACE4745.jpeg

Tried some new briquettes too - I usually use lump charcoal but the Pit Barrel Cooker was designed for briquettes. Got 2 types on clearance I thought just because the bags were torn - the first one was like damp sand but the second was perfect. Definitely different - more consistent and a slightly lower temperature. It will be interesting to try a longer cook with them - I’ve been getting stable temps of low 300s so lower would be better.
Next time I do chicken I might use the lump though because it’s a bit faster.

I only use lump charcoal on kamado style grills. It would probably do well in a barrel grill. But briquettes for kettle style grills. The uniformity helps with temp control.

Been putting it off but I gotta get a vortex for the kettle

Is the 'snake method' preferred by anyone here? Any tips? I Been able to get steady temps for first few hours then I always see a spike in temp about halfway through

Do you guys sear your chicken or meat first or do you cook it indirect first?

Still learning how to grill properly.

Also need a digital meat thermometer.

Back
Top Bottom