Votes: 238 10.1%
  • UNC

Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
i think its still synthetic leather. its just that even synthetic leathers have diff levels of quality, so when they decide to give us that higher quality plush synthetic leather, we get tricked into thinking its real genuine leather.

92C0922C-E9F9-4CB0-A07E-34EF618565F7.gif

This man thinks his $160 made in China Jordan’s are crafted using the finest calf skin LOL
:lol: @ these clueless adults thinking JB using real leather
Discrepancies are going to be found in any material, whether it's synthetic or natural. The shoddiest and the finest calf skin will both be different depending on the tanning process and the actual animal.
Nike/JB do indeed use real leather, as well as synthetics. As far as 1s are concerned, I currently have 94 chi's, tan pinnacles, lance mountains, and 2015 UNC's. All completely different materials, some real leather, some not.

Here's Nike explicitly talking about reducing their current consumption of real leather: https://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/innovation/flyleather
Here's a Nike cleat that uses kangaroo leather: https://www.nike.com/t/tiempo-legend-vii-elite-firm-ground-soccer-cleat-BDw2WJ
Here's the product description stating that it uses real/synthetic/textile, depending on the colorway and materials:
upload_2018-10-16_13-45-5.png

https://www.complex.com/sneakers/2016/09/air-jordan-1-bred-evolution

Material-wise, the next best thing we've seen to this 2016 release of the Banned Jordan is the Shattered Backboard 1s from 2015, which featured a fully aniline leather upper in black, red and white. Aniline leather is notable for its natural tanning and dyeing process; it's not overly manufactured. You can see and feel the natural grain of the leather. When all of your favorite YouTubers inevitably say how amazing the Remastered 1’s quality is, what they are talking about is how smooth the leather feels—it's almost wet to the touch. Bad leather finishes dry and has no depth in its gran, primarily because it is covered in polyurethane.

The color on the Remastered black/red I is also created naturally. Natural dyeing absorbs more purely into the leather and gives it a richer color with more depth. It is hard to explain precisely, but if you look at the 2009 version, the color has a shiny gloss to it that doesn’t give the impression of high quality. That issue will be fixed on the 2016 rerelease.

So this ^^^ isn't true?

Discrepancies are going to be found in any material, whether it's synthetic or natural. The shoddiest and the finest calf skin will both be different depending on the tanning process and the actual animal.
Nike/JB do indeed use real leather, as well as synthetics. As far as 1s are concerned, I currently have 94 chi's, tan pinnacles, lance mountains, and 2015 UNC's. All completely different materials, some real leather, some not.

Here's Nike explicitly talking about reducing their current consumption of real leather: https://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/innovation/flyleather
Here's a Nike cleat that uses kangaroo leather: https://www.nike.com/t/tiempo-legend-vii-elite-firm-ground-soccer-cleat-BDw2WJ
Here's the product description stating that it uses real/synthetic/textile, depending on the colorway and materials:
upload_2018-10-16_13-45-5.png

Where does it say they use “genuine leather”?

Your first link just talked about “fly leather”

Nike marketing says full grain leather, the internet says synthetic leather. Isn't Nike exposing themselves to class action by making false claims? Is there a lawyer in the house :lol:

Any word lately on the Reverse Top 3s? Are they still happening? It kills me that I don't own the originals and I've been considering tracking them down but if these are still dropping then maybe I'd wait and get these instead.

Where does it say they use “genuine leather”?

Your first link just talked about “fly leather”
Sigh. You're having a really hard time today, aren't you? The whole article is talking about shifting away from currently using natural leather ("genuine leather") in their manufacturing, and transitioning into flyleather. If they are trying not to use as much leather, that means that they are indeed using real leather.

The Retro High OG Jordan 1 product description also states that it uses leather, synthetic, or textile, which depends on the shoe. It is a general product description for all Retro High OG Jordan 1s, so it will vary from shoe to shoe, but it does indeed mean that genuine leather is used.

holy **** you're dumb

https://www.complex.com/sneakers/2016/09/air-jordan-1-bred-evolution

Material-wise, the next best thing we've seen to this 2016 release of the Banned Jordan is the Shattered Backboard 1s from 2015, which featured a fully aniline leather upper in black, red and white. Aniline leather is notable for its natural tanning and dyeing process; it's not overly manufactured. You can see and feel the natural grain of the leather. When all of your favorite YouTubers inevitably say how amazing the Remastered 1’s quality is, what they are talking about is how smooth the leather feels—it's almost wet to the touch. Bad leather finishes dry and has no depth in its gran, primarily because it is covered in polyurethane.

The color on the Remastered black/red I is also created naturally. Natural dyeing absorbs more purely into the leather and gives it a richer color with more depth. It is hard to explain precisely, but if you look at the 2009 version, the color has a shiny gloss to it that doesn’t give the impression of high quality. That issue will be fixed on the 2016 rerelease.

So this ^^^ isn't true?

Why would they charge the same price if Shattered Backboards has some “high quality leather”?

Sigh. You're having a really hard time today, aren't you? The whole article is talking about shifting away from currently using natural leather ("genuine leather") in their manufacturing, and transitioning into flyleather. If they are trying not to use as much leather, that means that they are indeed using real leather.

The Retro High OG Jordan 1 product description also states that it uses leather, synthetic, or textile, which depends on the shoe. It is a general product description for all Retro High OG Jordan 1s, so it will vary from shoe to shoe, but it does indeed mean that genuine leather is used.

holy **** you're dumb

You’re the one implying that Jordan 1’s are made from genuine leather in the first place smart guy :lol:

If calling me dumb makes your ***** *** feel better about yourself so be it

anyone know where i can get the city of flights for a steal? got my pair for $120 i think and i love them and wanna double up for the right price. any info would be greatly appreciated

People want all these crazy colors, deformed 1s, and gimmicks to come out and I just really want the classic timeless colorways that age really well. I've had too many moments where I'm like "damn I really bought these sh*ts?" Shoutout to bapesta and greedy genius

In the cases where Nike uses "real leather," I've always assumed that to mean bonded leather, which is pretty terrible and any animal hide imperfections were long lost in the manufacturing process:
"Bonded leather is a term used for a manufactured upholstery material which contains animal hide. It is made as a layered structure of a fiber or paper backer covered with a layer of shredded leather fibers mixed with a polyurethane binder that is embossed with a leather-like texture...Bonded leather is made by shredding leather scraps and leather fiber, then mixing it with bonding materials. The mixture is next extruded onto a fiber cloth, or paper backing, and the surface is usually embossed with a leather-like texture or grain. Color and patterning, if any, are a surface treatment that does not penetrate like a dyeing process would. The natural leather fiber content of bonded leather varies. The manufacturing process is somewhat similar to the production of paper."

I'd be shocked if they claimed to be using full-grain leather on any sort of regular basis. And describing leather as "premium" is a meaningless marketing term. Only post I'm going to bother making on this, as I know how much NT loves "leather experts" (which I'm not).

In no way, shape, or form did I say Jordan Brand is using the best leather. You're not getting quality leather from $160 Jordan 1s, but you are indeed getting real leather from dead animals (depending on the shoe). The only difference I'm pointing out is real leather = from an animal's hide, synthetic leather = plastic/man-made. I'm not sure where promac promac learned to read but I'm not sure he's fully grasped the concept yet. JB is literally saying they use real leather as well as synthetic leather but that's just too difficult to understand, I suppose.

https://www.nike.com/launch/t/air-jordan-1-banned/
upload_2018-10-16_14-2-57.png

how else would you like to be wrong today?

premium can mean premium synthetic leather. the best of the fake leather that they wouldnt normally give you. the pluishier level of synthetic leather wjhich we dont get too often cause we get the hard plasticky synthetics most of the time. we are so used to that, that when JB decides to give us the next level quality of the synthetics, we go crazy.

dont assume cause nike says "premium" that it means real genuine leather. "premium" in JB terms just means better quality synthetic leather that they dont normally give us. just like when they hit us with the "remastered" thing a while back. the word sounds sooo nice. ooooooh remastered.....but the quality did not match. baaaarely an increase in quality sufficient enough to say remastered.

premium can mean premium synthetic leather. the best of the fake leather that they wouldnt normally give you. the pluishier level of synthetic leather wjhich we dont get too often cause we get the hard plasticky synthetics most of the time. we are so used to that, that when JB decides to give us the next level quality of the synthetics, we go crazy.

dont assume cause nike says "premium" that it means real genuine leather. "premium" in JB terms just means better quality synthetic leather that they dont normally give us. just like when they hit us with the "remastered" thing a while back.
They differentiate when they use synthetics. Again, it's in the product description.

anyone know where i can get the city of flights for a steal? got my pair for $120 i think and i love them and wanna double up for the right price. any info would be greatly appreciated

There were a few places that had them for under $100 with a promo code during Labor Day weekend. Just wait until Black Friday as I’m sure they go for cheap again, or wait for an eBay coupon

but you are indeed getting real leather from dead animals (depending on the shoe). .

You implied that the guys Chicago’s 1’s were different consistency from each other because of the animal hide, did you not?

Depending on the shoe. I stated several post back that we may get real leather on 1/100 JB shoes. You’re obviously the one having a hard time grasping things smart guy

Back
Top Bottom