Votes: 238 10.1%
  • UNC

Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
you can 100% wear a pair from '85 today, matter of fact I bought a pair last night and I'm going to wear the **** outta them...... 1's are tanks unless the uppers are trashed and/or the outsoles are worn through. then all you have to do is a swap and you're golden.
I thought you could only wear a pair from 85 today if they've been worn before

if an 85 pair is completely DS, never been worn, they'd still be okay to wear today?

I would assume so, I don't have personal experience on that. the midsoles don't crumble like on other models though.

At least 30 years.

You definitely can wear original pairs nowadays. My 01's don't get much burn and when I do break them out, they look like I just got them. Last year I handed down a pair of Chicago 94's to my little cousin (they were a youth 5.5) that I had worn back in 94 a handful of times. They practically looked brand new, no discoloration at all. He put them on and was good to go with no problems.

You'll be fine if your contemplating storing a pair in a time capsule. Just make sure you do your homework and store them in the best environment so they look good when you decide to wear them.
any tips for best environment to store them?

would having them completely sealed in a plastic container dry the leather out?

At least 30 years.

You definitely can wear original pairs nowadays. My 01's don't get much burn and when I do break them out, they look like I just got them. Last year I handed down a pair of Chicago 94's to my little cousin (they were a youth 5.5) that I had worn back in 94 a handful of times. They practically looked brand new, no discoloration at all. He put them on and was good to go with no problems.

You'll be fine if your contemplating storing a pair in a time capsule. Just make sure you do your homework and store them in the best environment so they look good when you decide to wear them.

Just keep them away from a radiator and in og packaging, maybe get rid of the paper from the shoe box and that's about it as far as I know

I would assume so, I don't have personal experience on that. the midsoles don't crumble like on other models though.
That's why I can't get into air maxes too much or 3-6s, midsole crumbling is no bueno

approximately how many years can 1's sit in the closet DS and not have any problems when you finally take them out to wear them?

some of my 2013 pairs have glitter on the black paint, my shadows in particular. they aren't Ds tho. Still wearable and fire but it's weird

Last edited:
My shadows look like a girls shoe

So much glitter that won't come off it's disgusting

At least 30 years.

I have always kept my shoes in a dark, cool and dry place. Removing the paper that come with 1's is also crucial if you want to avoid discoloration. You do want to let the shoe breathe, so maybe sticking them in an air tight setting wouldn't be the best approach.

Last edited:
Yea that Saran wrapping **** is a bad idea don't know why stores do it

Yea that Saran wrapping **** is a bad idea don't know why stores do it
There has been a lot of trial and error with storing sneakers and Saran Wrap was definitely an error that we have learned about the hard way. It seemed to catch on when people were trying to slow down the yellowing process of clear soles. This of course was before people started concoctions that brought clear soles back to their original state.

There has been a lot of trial and error with storing sneakers and Saran Wrap was definitely an error that we have learned about the hard way. It seemed to catch on when people were trying to slow down the yellowing process of clear soles. This of course was before people started concoctions that brought clear soles back to their original state.
Consignment shops still go it though, I never did it. I wear all my **** and also it messed with the oxidizing of the shoe

That's why I can't get into air maxes too much or 3-6s, midsole crumbling is no bueno

I've seen a few wdywt posts with newly formed mouths for soles lol.

I keep all mine in the original boxes (if applicable) with the paper folded underneath the shoes. I used to keep a few silica packs inside but don't do it anymore. the room I keep them in I have a ceiling fan on low to at least keep air moving when it's warmer outside. just piece of mind really, not doing too much.

I wish JB would put some research into fixing the clear soles problem permanently that's why I don't care for shoes with them unless it will look good when its yellow

Consignment shops still go it though, I never did it. I wear all my **** and also it messed with the oxidizing of the shoe
They do it so when customers are touching the shoe it doesn't mess them up. You know how many dirty *** people there are out there. They are shrink wrapping the shoe which is a temporary measure. Long term storage wrapping isn't a good look though.

I've seen a few wdywt posts with newly formed mouths for soles lol.

I keep all mine in the original boxes (if applicable) with the paper folded underneath the shoes. I used to keep a few silica packs inside but don't do it anymore. the room I keep them in I have a ceiling fan on low to at least keep air moving when it's warmer outside. just piece of mind really, not doing too much.
Unless it's a special paper I throw out that along with the cardboard inserts. And I keep them throughout my crib, one of the advantages of the landlord being cheap with the heater is that my shoes won't get damaged by the radiator :lol:

They do it so when customers are touching the shoe it doesn't mess them up. You know how many dirty *** people there are out there. They are shrink wrapping the shoe which is a temporary measure. Long term storage wrapping isn't a good look though.
That makes sense, but some of those shoes don't move for months or years which becomes an issue

Blue & Red (Please excuse the filter.)

Having never owned a pair of Royals, these '17s were a must for me.
Retail-win for the Royals, but resell-loss for the Breds. 

same leather quality? Or is one superior??? inuring minds want to know!!

Those wrapped shoes are display. Lol sometimes some of those display shoes end up on ebay discounted, who wants 1/2 wrapped display.

Dont saran wrap any shoe. Its normal to leave them alone in cool dark dry no humidity, no moisture places. I remember copping 01 na blk 3 from asian sellers in 2006 and theres so much heat and humidity that part of the midsole was yellowing

Rock the ds, onez with polyurethane midsoles, otherwise they crack with little or no pressure on air unit quicker than shoes that are unds

so it's consignment shops using saran wrap that's causing the glittering?

i've heard of people who bought these first hand and just kept them in the box and had the same issue regardless. anyone have any pics/ideas?

Satin bred 1's released in NY right?

Satin royals 1's in TX and ATL.

So possibly Satin shadows on the Westcoast come release day??

Yes ^

Yes

And let's hope so [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]127996[/emoji]

Last edited:

you can 100% wear a pair from '85 today, matter of fact I bought a pair last night and I'm going to wear the **** outta them...... 1's are tanks unless the uppers are trashed and/or the outsoles are worn through. then all you have to do is a swap and you're golden.
I thought you could only wear a pair from 85 today if they've been worn before

if an 85 pair is completely DS, never been worn, they'd still be okay to wear today?
lol you can def wear 85's, DS or not. just depends if buying them DS to wear is actually what you want to do since most deadstock pairs start over 1-1.5k.

Back
Top Bottom