Official 2023 San Francisco Giants Off-Season Thread - Jung Hoo Lee signs with SF 6-years $113 Million

Bochy was agressive using the off day before the break and the break to get an extra MadBum start in during the season.

Some good news, Panik and Pence are supposed to start rehab assignments this week :pimp:

I wouldn't expect Pence to make a real contribution until late August or the beginning of September. Panik's return is uplifting. My friends keep saying "Man, the Giants are looking good! The even year thing is real!" and I keep telling them I'm still worried because that pen needs to be shored up. Cautiously optimistic :nerd:

I wouldn't expect Pence to make a real contribution until late August or the beginning of September. Panik's return is uplifting. My friends keep saying "Man, the Giants are looking good! The even year thing is real!" and I keep telling them I'm still worried because that pen needs to be shored up. Cautiously optimistic :nerd:

I'm still worried and think all the talk (from most of the national media) about how Dodgers most likely not catching us is stupid and premature.

They're only 6.5 out and there's rest of July and all of Aug/Sept left to play. There's plenty of time for LA and other teams trailing their division to catch the current leaders.

I should be enjoying how the Giants have been winning and looking strong for once but just too easy in light of all the injuries/trash bullpen. And w/ this team, nothing ever comes easy.

Just waiting for a meltdown where Giants give up the division lead and we have to play w/ our ***** on fire (although I wouldn't mind it). I kind of think especially in baseball, you're better off having that adrenaline rush of playing everyday like it's a must-win. Think teams def lose an edge if they're just coasting all regular season. Hella stressful watching them play on the edge but I think it does help in the postseason.

Last time we coasted throughout regular season (2003 when they went 100-61 and were in 1st place LITERALLY the whole season), didn't end so well for us :smh:

yea but still feels good to be 24 games over 500 with 3 of your key hitters missing and peavy and cain as your 4th and 5th starters for most of the year

We got swept the same time the Dodgers were playing a last place team, and we only lost 1 game in the standings.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I mean....we have the best record in the Major Leagues.....all while being incredibly injured and having blown more saves than any other team.

I'd say we are in pretty good shape right now.  We need to pick it up obviously, as getting swept by the Padres isnt acceptable for any team, let alone a first place team.

I know watching him pitch is absolutely maddening at times, but this is a great read and makes you feel bad for him/like him even more:

[h1]Giants’ Jake Peavy continues to give, even after so much was taken[/h1]
BOSTON – There are days when Jake Peavy could feel cheated. There are days when he could feel frantic. Some others, he could be plain worn out.

He is a 35-year-old pitcher who hasn’t spent much time in the garage over his baseball life, and he is well past the turnaround point. When you are headed home, you tend to savor the sights, and the colors are saturated from all you’ve experienced.

So when Peavy stands on the slab Tuesday at Fenway Park, he knows the most maddening and frustrating five months of his life will fall away.

This will be a day to feel blessed.

Peavy spent the first 11 years of his career deferring a dream to pitch beyond the first round of the playoffs. Now he’ll pitch against a Red Sox franchise that he helped to take to a World Series title in 2013, for a Giants team that he helped take to a World Series title in 2014.

“It’s a place you’ve called home,” said Peavy, who will oppose Rick Porcello as the Giants make their first interleague visit to Boston since 2007. “You’ve been part of the community and the energy in the town. And when something happens as special as it did in 2013, and that I was a part of, it just entrenches your love and affection for a place.”

This is less road trip and more life circuit for Peavy, since it started where his Cy Young Award-winning career did in San Diego and continues to Boston before eventually returning home to AT&T Park. It’s missing one stop, against the Chicago White Sox, from being a full, this-is-your-life retrospective.

It should be one of the sweetest segments of a farewell tour. Peavy made no announcements that this would be his final season, but as he readied for spring training, he and his family understood that it possibly, even probably, would be his last go-around.

Peavy saw how Giants pitchers Tim Hudson and Jeremy Affeldt soaked up their moments in 2015, knowing they would retire after the season. He envisioned experiencing a similar six months of nostalgia.

“I thought it was beautiful the way they went out, but I might make a quieter exit,” he said. “When it’s my last year I’ll probably let people know when that last pitch is thrown and say thanks and walk away. That said …”

This is where the understanding changes.

“I’m just 35 and I think I have some years left in me.”

Peavy, an impending free agent, suddenly finds himself pitching for a contract again.

Everything changed on the first day of spring training in February, when Roy Oswalt, his friend and former pitcher, called with disturbing news. The money manager that Oswalt had introduced to Peavy, Ash Narayan, had emptied out portfolios that were supposed to be invested in low-risk securities; millions allegedly were used without authorization to prop up The Ticket Reserve Inc. (TTR), a foundering enterprise in which Narayan held a personal stake.

Peavy was defrauded of $15.105 million that Narayan had invested in TTR plus $957,432 in undisclosed finder’s fees that the advisor personally pocketed, according to a lawsuit filed by the Securities and Exchange Commission that was unsealed June 21.

Peavy said he had never heard of TTR until Oswalt’s call. He had to leave the Giants once during the spring and at least once during the season to be deposed in the case. Although the SEC froze Narayan’s accounts, in all likelihood, Peavy would be fortunate to get back pennies on the dollar.

He began the season 1-5 with an 8.21 ERA in nine starts through May 20, and acknowledged that the financial situation has been a distraction. He’s been a completely different pitcher since May 25, the day after the SEC filed its suit in the U.S. District Court in Dallas. He has a 2.60 ERA over his past nine starts, with the Giants winning seven of them.

The storm is far from over, though. Although Peavy declined to provide a figure, it’s believed that he lost much more than the $16 million-plus that Narayan allegedly funneled to TTR and his own pockets; the SEC filing refers to “Ponzi-like payments” that were made to keep the scheme going.

Aside from his accounts with the Jake Peavy Foundation, Peavy had nearly all his cash investments with Narayan – an amount believed to be in excess of $30 million.

“The foundation was truly the one piece of my portfolio that stayed untouched because that money was earmarked,” Peavy said. “I’ve been blessed on that front to be in good shape there. That said, going through this has been a life lesson in so many ways. It gives you perspective. You just reevaluate and move forward.”

Peavy is coming to the end of his two-year, $24 million contract with the Giants. He has made more than $112 million in salary over his baseball career. But he is not the type to stockpile cash when he sees so many ways it can make an impact.

Last year, Peavy, a passionate musician, purchased a recording studio in his hometown of Mobile, Ala., and made a significant investment to completely remodel it with top-of-the-line equipment. One industry publication ranked Peavy’s Dauphin Street Sound among 19 of the “world’s finest in studio design.”

When Mobile officials announced the cancellation of the city’s local music festival, BayFest, Peavy was one of the major contributors to replace it with a concert series called Ten Sixty Five, after the intersection of the area’s two major interstates. It was such a hit last October that Mobile officials and business owners are hoping the annual event will put the gulf city on the map.

That is Peavy’s hope, too. His foundation is headquartered a few doors down from Dauphin Street Sound. The studio was his first investment toward his vision of revitalizing of the town that he left as a 17-year-old to start his baseball career. He was filled with ambition, and looking forward to having the time, in addition to the funds, to begin in earnest once his career ended.

Then came the call in February, and the depositions, and the sick feeling in the pit of his stomach.

Yet the experience has not hardened Peavy’s heart or given him a dim world view.

He brought his guitar to a jam session with Coy Bowles of the Zac Brown Band and entertained patients at an Atlanta children’s hospital in June. He sang Tom Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down” and other songs to 25 patients and their families at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital on June 14 as part of an outreach program.

Over the weekend in San Diego, he invited nine wounded military veterans to Petco Park and hosted them on the field for batting practice. In Boston on Wednesday, he’s doing the same for the Boys and Girls Club – a group to which he became close during parts of two seasons with the Red Sox.

And on Aug. 17, the Jake Peavy Foundation and the Rex Foundation, the charitable arm started by members of the Grateful Dead, are putting on a benefit concert – “Can’t Stop the Train: A Tribute to Jerry Garcia” at the Fillmore in San Francisco.

“We’re going to use music and arts to change the world in any capacity we can,” said Peavy, who now aims to make financial literacy a chief component of his foundation’s listed goals to “advance disadvantaged youth, military veterans returning from active duty, and others seeking to overcome circumstances.”

So much was taken from him. Yet he continues to give.

“I’ve tried to give baseball my complete and utter focus to where nobody could question my commitment for the last 10 or 12 years,” Peavy said. “That said, I realize that you need to use this platform while I’m playing to establish the roots of my foundation.”

He plans to remain involved in each of the four cities he played – even Boston, despite the fact he was there for just parts of two seasons. Peavy bought the Duck Boat that he and his family rode through Boston in the World Series parade, had it painted in Red Sox colors and lets visitors ride it around his ranch in Alabama. Now he has a San Francisco trolley car on the ranch to entertain guests, too.

Although he didn’t play for the Red Sox team that broke the “Curse of the Bambino” in 2004, the 2013 team’s victory lifted a city that was in mourning after the Boston Marathon bombing in April of that year.

“There’s not a ballpark I’ve ever played in as a visitor or home that has the historic feel and energy that Fenway Park has,” Peavy said. “A lot of that is because you’re watching that city transform from feeling utter devastation, as low as the city could possibly be, to the pinnacle of the parade day. It was so cold throughout those playoffs. It was almost like God shined his face on Boston for that parade.

“So I’ll take it all in. And it’ll be neat to experience it with a lot of guys here who are going for the first time. I’ll get to watch them take it all in, too.”

Peavy does not know if he will be taking it in for the last time. Will he  be able to go out on his own terms, or have to chase contracts to make up for lost earnings?

“I can say this: I’m not going to be some guy hanging around and trying to make every last dime in this game,” he said, adding that he wished he could see his eldest son, Jacob, play in a state tournament this week. “I mean, I’m really going to let the game just decide it for me.

“I’ll do all I can do to take care of my body and finish strong and we’ll just let the chips fall on that. But I’d be excited to play next year, for sure.”

For Peavy, there is always more to give.

Went to Vegas over the weekend so I haven really gotten a chance to watch till today. You gotta be ******** me :smh:

I thought the same thing during the game, he had already gone yard. Why not press your luck w him

Injuries and bullpen is catching up to the giants. They were not the best team in baseball despite the record. They caught a ton of breaks in the first half. Out 3 key players in the line up and bullpen has been in shambles for a month now, it's evening out right now for them. We are the best team in the NL west but we gotta make sure to pad that lead while kershaw is out

Last edited:
^Agreed. We've just got to get healthy and get a few reinforcements via trade and we'll be okay

Back
Top Bottom