OFFICIAL 2021 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah man. This was like a top story on Sportscenter for weeks. They were getting dragged through the mud, got suspended, etc. This was absolutely a big deal at the time. Think you’re misremembering as time has passed. Tressel lost his damn job because of it :lol:

It also lead to Fickell being the interim coach and losing to Michigan :smh:

I was always shocked tressel never coached anywhere else after this, show cause or not

The tattoo scandal was the best thing to happen to OSU anyway, I recall ESPN discussing for hours whether Ohio State's program was over :lol:

Urban Meyer came in first year and went 12-0.
They've been 106-11 (.906) since including as we know 8-0 against Michigan. :smh:

Imagine if Nebraska had never fired him.
Imagine getting canned after going 9-3. That just shows how completely delusional the NU fan base is.

If Pelini's brother hadn't been so crazy he probably would have stayed around longer.

That's just the risk you run. 🤷🏿‍♂️ Tennessee fired Philip Fulmer for winning in nine games every year because they thought it wasn't up to the Tennessee standard and they've been a dumpster fire for well over a decade.

A lot of teams have fired good coaches in the pursuit of a great coach only to end up worse than they started

So... He just made 247sports all over again? Isn't this his 3rd or 4th time doing this?

Not the same thing. He created Rivals, left to create 247 and now he's creating another recruiting platform. If ESPN is smart, they'll wait till he grows ON3 and then they should buy him out. ESPN's recruiting is a joke. It's clear that they don't put the resources in to make a competitive with Rivals and 247

———

So, off-season topics:

1. am I gonna be proven right about PJ Fleck this season?

2. Are ASU admins being stupid for letting Herm and staff coach out the year?

Last edited:
^ what’s the Fleck prediction? I’m in PJ territory.
That he’s overrated and was the lucky beneficiary of some misleading wins/outcomes.

A lot of attention and good press for a guy that’s diet James Franklin.

———

Last edited:
What record would he have to get to prove he’s overrated? No one outside of Wisconsin is going to be any good on that side.

What record would he have to get to prove he’s overrated? No one outside of Wisconsin is going to be any good on that side.
Well after going 11-2 they have the 3-4 year (would have been 3-6 if they’d played NW and Wisconsin) so his team has already regressed. I’d say he needs to hit 8-4. Especially considering how well he’s recruited and it being year 5 so there’s no roster or system excuses to be made. I see 2 guaranteed losses on that schedule. If he can’t squeeze 8 wins out of that then idk.

That he’s overrated and was the lucky beneficiary of some misleading wins/outcomes.

A lot of attention and good press for a guy that’s diet James Franklin.

———

TRob not being on this list and in the Top 5 is insane :lol:. Y’all basing this on recruiting on development?

Well after going 11-2 they have the 3-4 year (would have been 3-6 if they’d played NW and Wisconsin) so his team has already regressed. I’d say he needs to hit 8-4. Especially considering how well he’s recruited and it being year 5 so there’s no roster or system excuses to be made. I see 2 guaranteed losses on that schedule. If he can’t squeeze 8 wins out of that then idk.

I think his team would have likely regressed anyways but it’s still hard for me to make any real judgements based on that truncated season last year.

Were people putting him in top 10 lists after that 11-2 year? It’s hard for me to see him as wildly overrated when I think most smart observers see him for what he is.

I think his team would have likely regressed anyways but it’s still hard for me to make any real judgements based on that truncated season last year.

Were people putting him in top 10 lists after that 11-2 year? It’s hard for me to see him as wildly overrated when I think most smart observers see him for what he is.
Going into 2020 I saw him regularly mentioned on an equal tier with names like Fickell and Campbell and Cristobal, as someone who can build a program and whose teams tend to improve each year. I have my opinions about all of them but Fickell.

I agree... I also think Fleck is always going to be hard to peg for people because he gets media attention yet hasn't been on the major stage yet. Still, I gotta give him some credit for taking Western Michigan to 13-0 and then Minnesota to 11-2. Minnesota has not literally seen that since the 60's.

Beyond those seasons though his career record is 32-38, and I agree this year he needs to show it. He's got damn near his entire team back, a good QB, and a returning 0-line that starts FIVE seniors. I think once they get past the OSU opener they have no excuses not to make a major run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom