OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m confused now, are y’all saying Richt and Smart recruited the same level talent or that Smart had a higher recruiting budget?

I’m confused now, are y’all saying Richt and Smart recruited the same level talent or that Smart had a higher recruiting budget?

I said that UGA always had high budgets. I mean if he's saying that Richt didn't have the classes that Kirby had yet and still had similar success, that's a more damning indictment of Kirby actually underachieving.

the debate is off my list. I had Kirby at 5 and Harbaugh at 6 lol.

I'm just saying Kirby DID manage to go 7-5 in a year where they were favored in every game. Can you point to another head coach in that top 5-10 talent composite that lost 5 games in which they had the more talented team? In their first year or any year?

Kirby absolutely gets outcoached regularly. And he has a penchant for making horrific conservative decisions on the field and with personnel.

He's still been to 2 playoffs and a national championship and Harbaugh hasn't. Brian Kelly is the anomaly because he's been in a NC game and 2 playoffs, and I still dont think he's better than any of the guys ahead of him.

Georgia was not favored against Ole Miss, Tennessee or Florida that season

1638989538102.png
1638989644838.png
1638989794105.png

Nothing personal, I like debating with people about stuff like this. But if you're going to raise arguments, I'd expect you to back them up with stats and logic. I respect the opinions of the people in this thread. If I didn't, I wouldn't go back and forth with any of you at all.
The stats and logic are there, though. I’ve explained why I think Harbaugh is a better football coach. You just don’t agree :lol:. And that’s fine.

What are you talking about? I just looked up the 2016 betting lines. Georgia was not favored against Florida, Ole Miss or Tennessee. They were favored against Vanderbilt and Georgia Tech.

Why lie and make up stats that are easily verifiable? 🤣

Also, Michigan is the second most talented team in the Big ten and went 2-4 last year. Year five of coaching, he lost to four teams Michigan was more talented than.
I clearly meant favored as in "more talented team" which you knew because I specifically cited the 247 sports talent composite. But whatever, I apologize for my wording.

Why would one of the most talented teams in the country not be favored against less talented opponents? If it was anyone else you'd point to coaching. The talent disparity is easily verifiable as you said:

In 2016 Georgia was the 6th most talented team in the country. Tennessee was 14th, Ole Miss was 15th, and Florida was 16th.

If you lost to ALL of those teams as well 41st most talented Vanderbilt, and 50th Georgia Tech, what else are you pointing to BUT coaching? And on top of all that, Vanderbilt and Georgia Tech beat you at home.

I clearly meant favored as in "more talented team" which you knew because I specifically cited the 247 sports talent composite. But whatever, I apologize for my wording.

Why would one of the most talented teams in the country not be favored against less talented opponents? If it was anyone else you'd point to coaching. The talent disparity is easily verifiable as you said:

In 2016 Georgia was the 6th most talented team in the country. Tennessee was 14th, Ole Miss was 15th, and Florida was 16th.

If you lost to ALL of those teams as well 41st most talented Vanderbilt, and 50th Georgia Tech, what else are you pointing to BUT coaching? And on top of all that, Vanderbilt and Georgia Tech beat you at home.

You're really digging deep on Kirby's first year of head coaching at any level 🤣. I'll admit that Kirby had a bad first year of coaching at Georgia. Nick Saban went 6-6 In his first year at Alabama and lost to several teams, They were more talented than including UL-Monroe. That being said, if him struggling in his first year, coaching at any level is an indictment on his coaching ability then so be it. I respect your opinion.

Every Big ten team Michigan has lost to (outside of Ohio State) has less talent than them. Is that not an indictment on Harbaugh?
If more talented= favored, then why isn't Michigan going 11-1 every single year?
Texas A&M lost three games to teams that they were less talented than this year, is that an indictment on Jimbo?

Last edited:
You're really digging deep on Kirby's first year of head coaching at any level 🤣. I'll admit that Kirby had a bad first year of coaching at Georgia. Nick Saban went 6-6 In his first year at Alabama and lost to several teams, They were more talented than including UL-Monroe. That being said, if him struggling in his first year, coaching at any level is an indictment on his coaching ability then so be it. I respect your opinion.

Every Big ten team Michigan has lost to (outside of Ohio State) has less talent than them. Is that not an indictment on Harbaugh?
If more talented= favored, then why isn't Michigan going 11-1 every single year?
Texas A&M lost three games to teams that they were less talented than this year, is that an indictment on Jimbo?
Or you said Kirby would never go 8-5, as a way to distinguish him from Harbaugh, and that's literally the record Kirby finished with his first year (after losing to 5 less talented teams in the regular season)? If anyone is digging deep to prove anything it's you.

And you're making this weirder than it has to be. You love Kirby. We get it. I too think he should be ranked ahead of Harbaugh, but stop acting like he's that much better. Would Kirby have gone 12-1 with this Michigan team?

And for the record, yes, Saban is another guy that never won **** when he didn't have a tremendous talent advantage on the field. Well, except for when he faced Georgia...

Kirby gonna win eventually because talent overpowers everything.

It's the same thing with Jimbo if he keeps stacking classes.

Recruiting rules all.

TBH I’m give Kirby a pass as long as Saban stands in his way :lol:

Kinda like the Warriors keeping Lebron from a ring.

Kirby will eventually beat Nick and get a championship, hell maybe even this year, but I’m not going to knock him, when the only way to the playoff is one loss or a SEC Championship.

TBH I’m give Kirby a pass as long as Saban stands in his way :lol:

Kinda like the Warriors keeping Lebron from a ring.

Kirby will eventually beat Nick and get a championship, hell maybe even this year, but I’m not going to knock him, when the only way to the playoff is one loss or a SEC Championship.
He's got the easiest path to the playoffs of anyone in the SEC.

Doesn't have to play LSU, A&M, Bama, Ole Miss, Auburn annually. The East is a wreck.

He could damn near win all regular season games without showing up and has to coach to one win (Bama in the title game) every year. :lol:

Kirby gonna win eventually because talent overpowers everything.

It's the same thing with Jimbo if he keeps stacking classes.

Recruiting rules all.
I agree with that to an extent. If Jimbo never hits on a QB or doesn’t modernize his offense then I don’t know that it’s a guarantee. Kirby is more or less the same in that respect right now. If he had competent QB play or didn’t run off Fields a few years back, then he probably has a title right now.

UF is up to 5 decommits over the last day and down to #76 in the recruiting rankings. Is Napier’s plan just to go all in on the portal?

Time will tell with Kirby, but it seems like the argument is Kirby vs. Michigan Harbaugh, when in reality, Harbaugh has a very strong track record at other stops in CFB alone, let alone having taken an NFL team to multiple NFCCG's. That's why I'd give Harbaugh the edge.

He's got the easiest path to the playoffs of anyone in the SEC.

Doesn't have to play LSU, A&M, Bama, Ole Miss, Auburn annually. The East is a wreck.

He could damn near win all regular season games without showing up and has to coach to one win (Bama in the title game) every year. :lol:
But they do play Auburn every year and they do face SEC West opponents, just not the same ones every year :lol:

Or you said Kirby would never go 8-5, as a way to distinguish him from Harbaugh, and that's literally the record Kirby finished with his first year (after losing to 5 less talented teams in the regular season)? If anyone is digging deep to prove anything it's you.

You're making this weirder than it is. You love Kirby. We get it. I too think he should be ranked ahead of Harbaugh, but stop acting like he's that much better. Would Kirby have gone 12-1 with this Michigan team?

Yes

And you're making this weirder than it has to be. You love Kirby. We get it. I too think he should be ranked ahead of Harbaugh, but stop acting like he's that much better. Would Kirby have gone 12-1 with this Michigan team?

And for the record, yes, Saban is another guy that never won **** when he didn't have a tremendous talent advantage on the field. Well, except for when he faced Georgia...

So basically every coach sucks. Saban only wins because he has a huge talent advantage 🤣🤣🤣

Half of your job as a head coach is giving yourself a talent advantage so having good players makes you a better coach. Recruiting is literally half of your job.

Yes, I believe Kirby would have gone 12-1 with this Michigan team. If I do what you do, and just look at team talent rankings, Michigan has a huge gap over every team they played this season except Ohio State.

But they do play Auburn every year and they do face SEC West opponents, just not the same ones every year :lol:

Exactly. Georgia has won 14 out of 18 matchups against Auburn, it's barely a rivalry anymore. No point in trying to reason with these cats though.

I agree with that to an extent. If Jimbo never hits on a QB or doesn’t modernize his offense then I don’t know that it’s a guarantee. Kirby is more or less the same in that respect right now. If he had competent QB play or didn’t run off Fields a few years back, then he probably has a title right now.
I mean... That's kinda everyone, right?

Elite QB play is going to carry everyone.

It's no mistake Bama's had 3, soon to be 4 straight NFL starters. Clemson. Ohio State.

You gotta land at quarterback regardless of who the head guy is. Modernizing what you do matters if you're not elite at that position - but you're also not competing for a national title with a spare at QB. It's the only reason why UGA just got their asses ran by Bama and probably would again in a rematch.

Billy Napier is asking their current commits to send him their film so that he can evaluate them, presumably to determine whether he wants to keep them in the class or not

Honestly sounds like he's just trying to build everything up from the bottom, and I presume there may be one or two kids from his ULL class that he may think are good enough to play there. But it will certainly be interesting to see.

Billy Napier is asking their current commits to send him their film so that he can evaluate them, presumably to determine whether he wants to keep them in the class or not

Honestly sounds like he's just trying to build everything up from the bottom, and I presume there may be one or two kids from his ULL class that he may think are good enough to play there. But it will certainly be interesting to see.
Bill Nap better go on YouTube man :lol:

He pissing me off now lol

I think the best thing about Saban is his ability to adapt over the years. To changes in the way that the games are played, to recruiting strategies, to the constant coaching changes, all of that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom