OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH I think Clemson/Dabo is in trouble going forward.

DJ ain't it. He'd better hope Klubnik is. I guess we'll find out how much of this thing relied on Venables keeping games close and giving them good field position. I do find it funny that dabo said the other day they're finally going to start taking kids from the transfer portal :lol:

What makes Kirby a better coach than Harbaugh? Seriously. Outsized talent advantage and still is good for losses when favored.

He's consistently been in the top five and made the college football playoffs twice. You're describing basically every coach in the country outside of Nick Saban and Dabo Sweeney.

The only bad loss Kirby has had in the last 4 years was the 2019 loss to South Carolina and that bowl game against Texas where we had seven opt outs.

#6 Auburn in 2017 on the road
#4 Bama in 2017 in the national title game
Top 10 LSU team in 2018 on the road
#2 Alabama in 2018 SEC title game
#1 LSU in the SEC title game in 2019
#1 Alabama on the road
Top 10 Florida team in 2020 prior to their implosion
#3 Alabama in 2021

I don't get this narrative that Kirby is just dropping these games to these terrible teams lol

You can get on Kirby for not winning the big one ( I'm as critical as as anybody) but he's never going 8-5, 9-4 or 2-4 like Michigan did last year. Kirby's floor is basically 10-2 in the SEC.

I know Michigan is having a fantastic season, but let's not forget their fans wanted Harbaugh fired after last season and he had to take a pay cut to save his job.

Screenshot_20211208-122708.png

To me, always hard to figure out those kinda lists because of the systems in place and the way football just is now. Us here on NT could get the job at Ohio St and win most of our games the next five years.

Nick Saban is probably the GOAT college coach of all time (would never argue against that). We've never seen anything like what Alabama is doing. But then you also realize NFL Nick Saban goes 15-17, sees what it's like when the other sideline has just as much talent as you do, and he gets the hell out. He also went 34-24 (with zero bowl wins) at Michigan State. How do you equally compare these guys talent-wise? :lol:

Does Dabo drop like a weight if they lose again next year? (which they could)

To me what a guy like Fickell has done, losing all his built-in advantages he could have at brand name schools, if he keeps that up he has to be right in the mix too.

Nick Saban is the goat college coach. I don't think anyone is really talking about his NFL career. Talent acquisition is literally 50% of your job as a college coach and is equally important to X's and o's, game day coaching, so I'm not going to use it as a knock on Nick Saban that he has a huge talent advantage. He gave himself that huge town advantage lol.

Kirby Richt stay having the most talent in the country pretty much every year, outside of Saban, yet not close to the success.

What is going on with Billy Napier? Is he Billy bobbing Florida's top recruits? Or are these in-home visits not going well? Seems to be a lot of attrition in a short period of time

I don't get this narrative that Kirby is just dropping these games to these terrible teams lol
Nobody said this…like at all. Georgia is a recruiting monster. Recruits better than any team in the country essentially. That alone is good for 10-2. If you have Harbaugh Kirby’s team and Kirby the UM, which team do you think would be better?

Michigan’s talent isn’t even close when you look at guys who will get drafted early and play on Sundays.

Reactions: MVP
I'm as critical of Kirby as any Georgia fan but saying he's the same as Harbaugh when Harbaugh was fighting for his job three months ago is pretty wild. College football fans have a very short memory lol
Harbaugh was fighting for his job… where? Just because fans are upset doesn’t mean that he’s actually fighting for his job. You should know that as well as anyone for as long as Richt stayed on even though fans were angry. If saying that Kirby is lower in the TOP 10 of college coaches than you agree with is slander then I don’t know what to tell you :lol:.

Mark Richt record 1st 6 seasons (61-17) .782 winning percentage

Kirby Smart record 1st 6 seasons (65-14) .823 winning percentage

Both with monster recruiting budgets and top tier talent that when the stage is the biggest can't come though coaching on the field. What's the difference?

Nobody said this…like at all. Georgia is a recruiting monster. Recruits better than any team in the country essentially. That alone is good for 10-2. If you have Harbaugh Kirby’s team and Kirby the UM, which team do you think would be better?

Michigan’s talent isn’t even close when you look at guys who will get drafted early and play on Sundays.

How are you using " he has more talent" he has more talent as a knock when Kirby is the reason he has more talent. Talent acquisition is literally half of the job in college. Harbaugh would never have Kirby's talent because he can't recruit on Kirby's level and vice versa.

John Harbaugh is going 2-4 and 9-4 In the Big ten and Kirby is 12-1 averaging 11 wins per year in the SEC and you're genuinely asking "what's the difference?" 🤣

I have a hard time deciding what to think with Day and Riley - because they inherited A+ situations and haven't really elevated them. They've maintained - but those don't feel like tough jobs/situations to maintain.

I'm not all the way sold on Kirby as a top shelf guy, but he inherited a great situation and has elevated it to a degree.

Dabo is scum, but he's earned his flowers. Clemson was a nothing and he's built it.

Mark Richt record 1st 6 seasons (61-17) .782 winning percentage

Kirby Smart record 1st 6 seasons (65-14) .823 winning percentage

Both with monster recruiting budgets and top tier talent that when the stage is the biggest can't come though coaching on the field. What's the difference?

Mark Richt was never a monster recruiter, most of his classes were in the bottom half of the top 10. The first half of Mark's career was incredible. Even if you look at it, he had a higher winning percentage at Georgia than Urban Meyer had at Florida. From 2002-2007 Richt was legitimately a top 10 coach. What got Mark Richt fired was the back half of his career when we were consistently going 7-5, 8-4.

He's consistently been in the top five and made the college football playoffs twice. You're describing basically every coach in the country outside of Nick Saban and Dabo Sweeney.

The only bad loss Kirby has had in the last 4 years was the 2019 loss to South Carolina and that bowl game against Texas where we had seven opt outs.

#6 Auburn in 2017 on the road
#4 Bama in 2017 in the national title game
Top 10 LSU team in 2018 on the road
#2 Alabama in 2018 SEC title game
#1 LSU in the SEC title game in 2019
#1 Alabama on the road
Top 10 Florida team in 2020 prior to their implosion
#3 Alabama in 2021

You can get on Kirby for not winning the big one ( I'm as critical as as anybody) but he's never going 8-5, 9-4 or 2-4 like Michigan did last year. Kirby's floor is basically 10-2 in the SEC.

I know Michigan is having a fantastic season, but let's not forget their fans wanted Harbaugh fired after last season and he had to take a pay cut to save his job.

Screenshot_20211208-122708.png
In 2016 Kirby went 7-5 with the 5th or 6th most talented team in country according to the 247 composite.

In 2016 Kirby went 7-5 with the 5th or 6th most talented team in country according to the 247 composite.

You're pulling out the first year stats. That's great. A lot of coaches struggle in their first year, especially when their first time head coaches. Kirby is 12-7 against top 10 teams and here is harbaugh's record:

I think Ohio State is harbaugh's first top five win in the six years he's been there. You are entitled to your opinion on who you think is a better coach, it's purely subjective. I'm not going to argue with you anymore.

How are you using " he has more talent" he has more talent as a knock when Kirby is the reason he has more talent. Talent acquisition is literally half of the job in college. Harbaugh would never have Kirby's talent because he can't recruit on Kirby's level and vice versa.

John Harbaugh is going 2-4 and 9-4 In the Big ten and Kirby is 12-1 averaging 11 wins per year in the SEC and you're genuinely asking "what's the difference?" 🤣
Yea, but Georgia also has a TON more resources and is located in a much more talent rich area than Michigan. It’s a little disingenuous to not factor that in.

You keep putting words in my mouth and saying things that no one ever said. :lol: Obviously there are differences between the 2. I personally don’t think that Kirby is a better coach than Jim Harbaugh. Are we not going to factor in Kirby’s poor handling of QBs and offenses that ultimately keep him from winning a title every year?

Yea, but Georgia also has a TON more resources and is located in a much more talent rich area than Michigan. It’s a little disingenuous to not factor that in.

You keep putting words in my mouth and saying things that no one ever said. :lol: Obviously there are differences between the 2. I personally don’t think that Kirby is a better coach than Jim Harbaugh. Are we not going to factor in Kirby’s poor handling of QBs and offenses that ultimately keep him from winning a title every year?

I agree that there are major flaws to Kirby's approach. I'm very critical of the way that he's handled the QB situation and offense in general. That being said, I can make a laundry list equally as long of Jim harbaugh's failures in Michigan that led him to a 2-4 record (every single one of those losses were to teams less talented than Michigan) Last season and a 9-4 the year before that (all of his losses except OSU were two teams less talented than Michigan).

It's a free country, and you're entitled to have whatever subjective measurement of coaching you would like.

You're pulling out the first year stats. That's great. A lot of coaches struggle in their first year, especially when their first time head coaches. Kirby is 12-7 against top 10 teams and here is harbaugh's record:

I think Ohio State is harbaugh's first top five win in the six years he's been there. You are entitled to your opinion on who you think is a better coach, it's purely subjective. I'm not going to argue with you anymore.

the debate is off my list. I had Kirby at 5 and Harbaugh at 6 lol.

I'm just saying Kirby DID manage to go 7-5 in a year where they were favored in every game. Can you point to another head coach in that top 5-10 talent composite that lost 5 games in which they had the more talented team? In their first year or any year?

Kirby absolutely gets outcoached regularly. And he has a penchant for making horrific conservative decisions on the field and with personnel.

He's still been to 2 playoffs and a national championship and Harbaugh hasn't. Brian Kelly is the anomaly because he's been in a NC game and 2 playoffs, and I still dont think he's better than any of the guys ahead of him.

the debate is off my list. I had Kirby at 5 and Harbaugh at 6 lol.

I'm just saying Kirby DID manage to go 7-5 in a year where they were favored in every game. Can you point to another head coach in that top 5-10 talent composite that lost 5 games in which they had the more talented team? In their first year or any year?

Kirby absolutely gets outcoached regularly. And he has a penchant for making horrific conservative decisions on the field and with personnel.

He's still been to 2 playoffs and a national championship and Harbaugh hasn't. Brian Kelly is the anomaly because he's been in a NC game and 2 playoffs, and I still dont think he's better than any of the guys ahead of him.

What are you talking about? I just looked up the 2016 betting lines. Georgia was not favored against Florida, Ole Miss or Tennessee. They were favored against Vanderbilt and Georgia Tech.

Why lie and make up stats that are easily verifiable? 🤣

Also, Michigan is the second most talented team in the Big ten and went 2-4 last year. Year five of coaching, he lost to four teams Michigan was more talented than.

You take this stuff entirely too personally :lol:

Nothing personal, I like debating with people about stuff like this. But if you're going to raise arguments, I'd expect you to back them up with stats and logic. I respect the opinions of the people in this thread. If I didn't, I wouldn't go back and forth with any of you at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom