OFFICIAL 2020 NBA PLAYOFF THREAD - DISNEY COVID INVITATIONAL EDITION - MAMBA FOREVER - LAKERS WIN THE RONA RAND - ALA FOREVER

Who will win the inaugural COVID Invitational Jamboree?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard Chris Mannix in the Dan Patrick radio show this morning saying the owners “feel like they’ve already done a lot” to support social reform efforts, like “signing off on the players wearing social justice messages on their jerseys” and “supporting them players who kneel for the anthem.” :stoneface: But he also said the owners have committed to investing $300 million in poor, predominantly black communities. I had not heard that before.
Over the next 10 years I believe. So about $1M per team.

Its the least they could do, honestly. But better than $0

Salute To The Black Athlete Taking A Stand.
F9435D52-CE04-4BC2-8048-B2087E607F99.jpeg

big old head energy with the long shorts.

They either got everything they wanted from the league or they realized this was gonna hurt their pockets in the long run a hell of a lot more than they initially thought.

It's obvious which one is more likely.

I think the problem with the "hold out and hurt the cashflow" argument is that these teams aren't the primary source of cashflow for most of these owners. They all got major businesses all over the place where they're probably making more money than they are off the teams. So while it hurts, it's not crippling.

There's a LOT of players who aren't making money other ways and this trickles down even further than just the guys that are active in that room today.

They weren't ever gonna win this battle that way, I don't think.

This. The only owner in the league whose primary source of income is basketball is the Buss family. Every other owner gained their wealth through business, inheritance, etc. For a lot of owners, their NBA team isn't the only sports franchise they own.

This is the same argument that was presented with Hov and the NFL. There is a lot more the owners can do with their vast network of resources and connections. IT SHOULD NO BE INCUMBENT UPON BLACK FOLKS TO BE THE CHANGE FOR THE SYSTEM THAT THEY ARE BEING OPPRESSED BY. Those dudes in charge of these teams that benefit off of black bodies can pick up the phone and call any politician at any time, but a lot of them don't and some downright support those who are diametrically opposed to helping our community. That ain't enough.

$300 mil is great but what does that do to stop cops killing? ...They’ll just pull up in better communities, kill and get away with it still ...That issue just ain’t something you can keep throwing “money in the community” at

Last edited:
Like that with damn near all teams. These people aren’t rich because they own a team; they were billionaires then bought a team.

what’s crazy is this isn’t even accurate

ballmer is worth 73Bs and is the8th richest man in the world

and that’s only one owner

300M over 10 years is literally pennies. The idea that owners can’t do more or don’t know what else to do is BS.

This....the amount of power they wield is huge. Check their political donations. They’re all owed “favors” from state and federal leaders.

Last edited:
One thing the players union NEEDS to make a bigger focus is helping these young rookies understand finances and budgeting. You can't have a guy coming from an underprivileged community suddenly making millions and expect him to magically have solid control of his finances. Not to mention how often these younger guys get taken advantage of by their agents and other people stealing money from them.

I understand guys often get into the league and see those big checks and wanna help their mom, sister, cousin, best friend, girlfriends dad, etc but there's ways to help without being paycheck to paycheck. The MINIMUM salary in the NBA for a rookie is close to $1mil before taxes. So if you're taking home $40k+ a month in salary, how are you paycheck to paycheck? Even a mansion mortgage + Ferrari payment is no more than $20k total.

Tell Ballmer nem’ to give us our reparations. Until we get reparations, none of this registers with me. Give us our money. That’s the reason why 100% of these white American CEOs, families, etc have all this wealth.

give us our money. Other than that, I’m ignoring EVERYTHING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom