OFFICIAL 2020 NBA PLAYOFF THREAD - DISNEY COVID INVITATIONAL EDITION - MAMBA FOREVER - LAKERS WIN THE RONA RAND - ALA FOREVER

Who will win the inaugural COVID Invitational Jamboree?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
03B45105-114E-4AF4-821B-FCCAE9EFBDB7.jpeg

Didn’t know it was Bev that got the coaches out the room.

If nothing but for optics, I would have waited until after the owner's meeting and subsequently some concrete initiatives they agreed to as a condition to resume play to come out before saying we'll go back. But for this to last not even 24 hours ain't sitting right with me at this moment.

i don't know what angle this dude is coming from, but at face value i'd have to agree with this sentiment to some extent

while (peaceful) protesting is effectual in bringing attention to matters than need urgency., it does little to actually change things, in my opinion. people need to speak in the language these reactionaries comprehend. actions be they physical or financial. this establishment needs to be strong armed otherwise they will continue to dismiss the message or find ways to squash it

Could have at least held out longer to put More pressure on the owners but I can’t blame them some of them probably don’t wanna stay in the bubble for much longer

If nothing but for optics, I would have waited until after the owner's meeting and subsequently some concrete initiatives they agreed to as a condition to resume play to come out before saying we'll go back. But for this to last not even 24 hours ain't sitting right with me at this moment.

Im just kind of looking at it from the perspective that we don’t have all the details and assuming there was a lot of half-truths/misinformation in the tweets last night. That’s the only way this could be the outcome.

Yeah I thought They would hold out until atleast after the governed meeting and maybe get some sort of compromises. Idk man

CBA ramifications must have been worse than the players realized lol

no one wanna be on the Pippen 2 m/8 years :lol:
Very true, messing with someone’s pockets, especially when it’s not in their financial favor will always get an immediate response.

They either got everything they wanted from the league or they realized this was gonna hurt their pockets in the long run a hell of a lot more than they initially thought.

It's obvious which one is more likely.

I think the problem with the "hold out and hurt the cashflow" argument is that these teams aren't the primary source of cashflow for most of these owners. They all got major businesses all over the place where they're probably making more money than they are off the teams. So while it hurts, it's not crippling.

There's a LOT of players who aren't making money other ways and this trickles down even further than just the guys that are active in that room today.

They weren't ever gonna win this battle that way, I don't think.

Im just kind of looking at it from the perspective that we don’t have all the details and assuming there was a lot of half-truths/misinformation in the tweets last night. That’s the only way this could be the outcome.

I mean what we got last night was last night the majority wanted to keep playing and it was apparently only the Lakers and Clippers were against it. And those guys had a change of heart. Haynes is pretty plugged into Bron, but yea I guess it COULD be misinformation.

would've tried to holdout for a week, given that the ppl in Milwaukee should be given national attention to speak on this and not the players, but I get it.

I heard Chris Mannix in the Dan Patrick radio show this morning saying the owners “feel like they’ve already done a lot” to support social reform efforts, like “signing off on the players wearing social justice messages on their jerseys” and “supporting them players who kneel for the anthem.” :stoneface: But he also said the owners have committed to investing $300 million in poor, predominantly black communities. I had not heard that before.

I love that players want to be the face of this movement and I think that's the way it should be since they have more juice than average people. However, their expertise is playing professional basketball, not leading point A to Z in social change. Ideally, they can form strategic partnerships that can help them. Sometimes you gotta lose the battle (finishing the playoffs) in order to win the war.

I heard Chris Mannix in the Dan Patrick radio show this morning saying the owners “feel like they’ve already done a lot” to support social reform efforts, like “signing off on the players wearing social justice messages on their jerseys” and “supporting them players who kneel for the anthem.” :stoneface: But he also said the owners have committed to investing $300 million in poor, predominantly black communities. I had not heard that before.

Exactly. Their opinions don't matter anyway. The same people complaining about the NBA now, swear up and down they stopped watching years ago lol.

People are just using the NBA as a way to grandstand politically. Charlie Kirk swore he's been boycotting the NBA since 2011 yet comments on it every other day lol

I've known cigarette smokers who didn't quit as often as this guy has quit the NBA.

I expected games to resume on Friday when the first announcement was made that games were postponed. I’m not surprised or disappointed that they’re resuming play. This **** resonated with those guys, but they knew not playing was not sustainable. A lot of these guys will leave the bubble when they’re eliminated and hop right into some type of movement for equality/justice. Some of it we’ll read about, and some of it we won’t. I’m glad they said **** it. It showed some of their collective power and it spread across several sports. Yesterday was a good day.

Money is cool and all but these owners have friends and are among important people in each state. If they don't want to reach out and get involved, that's a bigger issue. They don't want to offend or call in a favor from some powerful white people is an issue. It's sad, they could do so much more if they wanted to but refuse to.

It's so crazy that rich people are scared to speak out or don't have an issue with this. They can't fix it over night but you start punishing these cops and sending them to jail for 30+ years, **** will change. Instead we see cops getting paid leave and a million excuses so they feel like they can keep doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom