OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
why in the hell would Aranda leave LSU for a lateral move to USC (and I consider that a step down)?
He wouldn’t.

Because:

1. He's been trying to get out of LSU for a while. As I said, Ed O is beloved but not the easiest guy to coach under, especially as a defensive coach who fancies himself the smartest guy in the room.

Aranda is also from California and has been trying to get back. He wanted the SC DC job back in 2015 before Helton went all "Clancy's the best" and I think he threw his name into a couple of the west coast openings since. Remember he was rumored last year too for SC and OU and Helton saved Clancy's job when he fired everyone else and OU went Grinch. LSU is also almost certainly going to take a step back next year They lose too many players for that to not be likely.

2. For the same exact reason that Kliff Kingsbury sought and took the job before leaving for an HC position. Because Clay is on the hot seat and if an admin is trying to appease the barbarian hoards at their gate, the easiest thing to do would be to fire the HC and put in place an interim. USC has shown a penchant for hiring interims, and Aranda would be the most experienced and credentialed coach on the staff (besides Drevno) at that point and as a coordinator he'd have a leg up. I'm assuming he was also going to get an Asst. HC title as Kliff was given.

USC also pays ALL their coordinators $1M+. Tee, Clancy, Kliff, and Graham all had big contracts. Graham I think is at 3/$1.8M right now. Aranda would ABSOLUTELY get his money and the way USC writes its contracts it would ALL be guaranteed.

3. I consider SC a step down right now as well, but the honesty is they're getting a lot of preseason hype. 18 returning starters - 10 on defense - favorable schedule... 10-2 is very plausible. Especially if control of the team is taken from Helton and given over to his coordinators which could happen. USC even while down has shown it's a good launch pad for careers. Look at all of helton's former assistants and GAs who are currently HCs and full time coaches in the NFL and NCAA.

4. Agent rumors could be just that. Agent rumors. Clearly it worked for him as Baylor panicked and offered before they probably vetted all candidates.

Another one that probably had a 3rd round grade:

————

Brian Kennedy, the SC booster who the practice field is named after - and who at the national championship called SC football dog **** after refusing to hire Ed and has been openly supporting LSU and Coach O - was at a basketball game last night. He hasn’t been to an SC football game in over 3 years but started attending basketball games again this season.

He was sitting and talking to the AD. Rumor that he was with Wayne Hughes and other boosters at the NCG. Probably trying to get him back involved.

casper90403 casper90403 tupac003 tupac003

9614396.jpeg

Last edited:
nako xl nako xl Are there 'SC folks that really believe that Coach O would have been able to reproduce what he did at LSU at USC had he been there?

Yes there’s a lot of fans that think that. Brian Kennedy being one of them. I don’t.

I admit I didn’t want O back then, I don’t think any SC fan in this NT thread did, and all of his W’s back then looked like Helton’s W’s now. But SC fans like to reinvent history so to have them tell it O was super impressive even then.

I think the Coach O we get today is much improved over the stubborn micro managing Coach O we were getting in even 2017 let alone 2013. If SC had hired him he would have won 8-10 games a year and brought in top 5 classes so it’s possible he would have been given enough time to learn and figure **** out and eventually get to where he is now but I doubt it. Orgeron is a more forceful personality than Helton and Sark and would have been more demanding and effective at getting what he wanted (like support staff etc.) but all of the people the AD and president fired this week had been interfering with and shadow running the football program for their own interests (Lopes the CFO/COO for instance was the most powerful person in the AD and instrumental in blocking new hires) and Coach O would have been seen as a nuisance and obstacle, so he’d probably have gotten 2-3 years then fired for Helton anyway.

Great hire IMO. Glad that Kirby is moving to a more spread style offense. Monken had some great offenses at Southern Miss. Although, I wasn't as low on Coley's play-calling (I was more angry about the overall scheme), I'm interested to see what Monken can do as a play caller. I wonder what this means for James Coley, he's still on the staff but won't be calling please. He's essentially getting a demotion, I wonder if that means he will be leaving soon. He's just an ordinary offensive coordinator but he's an elite recruiter who's helped us land a lot of huge recruits.

That being said, just hiring an NFL coach and assuming that will cure all ills is foolish. There are numerous examples of NFL coaches not working in college. Remember Cam Cameron when he was at LSU?

I'm just glad to see that Kirby isn't stubborn and is willing to change. I never thought that he was hard-headed and unwilling to change but some fans we're becoming restless. This isn't Madden or NCAA Football, even if Kirby noticed the offense was struggling midseason, there is no time for install in the middle of the season. I can't just start running a new offensive scheme in a week. He saw the issues just like we did and he made changes.

We have the championship-level defense and the athletes on offense, we just need to get the right offensive scheme in place.

Last edited:
I did not want Coach O back when USC was deciding on what to do. What he is doing at LSU is amazing but I dont pretend for one second he could do the same at USC. They just care more about football at LSU.

Back
Top Bottom