OFFICIAL 2024-2025 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON THREAD *LYIN' SZN IS HERE*

Who will win the 2024-2025 College Football Playoffs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Would anyone care if they scrapped the Coach's and AP Polls and just didn't release rankings until the CFP Committee Rankings in Week 8 or whatever?

Like... Anyone at all?

I don't think any fans would care. Frankly, I don't think most coaches would care because most of them are too busy coaching their teams and they don't watch many games. From what I've heard most coaches have graduate assistants or other staffers fill out their polls for them.

The AP writers would be angry because getting rid of their poll would be taking power and influence away from them. Also, the AP poll has been around since the 1930s so a lot of historians wouldn't like it.

If anything it would make more sense to not release the coaches and AP polls later in the season, similar to how the CFP polls don't come out until late October

I don't hate the polls from a viewing experience I understand why they have stuck around for so long. Unlike the NFL, there are so many college football teams and teams have so much turnover from year to year so casual fans look at the polls to identify which teams (and which matchups) are worth watching early in the season.

What I (and most serious college football fans) dislike about the poles is how "sticky" they are. As some of you guys have mentioned, teams tend to stick around where they were ranked in the preseason.

Why is Ohio State ranked so highly despite having one of the bottom 10 schedules in the nation so far? Why was Missouri ranked so high in the first place? It's all based on preseason perception and voters don't knock teams down until they lose.

Last edited:
Would anyone care if they scrapped the Coach's and AP Polls and just didn't release rankings until the CFP Committee Rankings in Week 8 or whatever?

Like... Anyone at all?

Talking heads on the trash morning/afternoon sports shows.

A&M might just be a good football team.

Beating the hell outta Mizzou on both sides.

N41 today:

1728155033393.gif

N41 today:

1728155033393.gif
Schedule easy enough they can make a decent little run at this year...

They'd probably get mopped by the top tier, but ain't any reason they can't run the table to Texas.

Maybe equally likely they **** the bed a time or two and stumble against LSU or South Carolina.

But the roller coaster feels a little more stable than it has at any point since the Mond COVID year.

They won’t get rid of the early polls because they’d lose all their hype ahead of matchups.

None of them matter till the CFP ones anyway but damn, do they get us talking :lol:

They won’t get rid of the early polls because they’d lose all their hype ahead of matchups.

None of them matter till the CFP ones anyway but damn, do they get us talking :lol:

They exist to keep fans and media both engaged early, plus technically the media award their own separate national champion so the AP poll is important for that purpose.

I can’t wait to see the overreaction from Buckeye fans when Iowas bad offense scores a few points and their legit defense doesn’t allow 40+ points to OSUs offense

Back
Top Bottom