OFFICIAL 2018 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who is going to win the Big Ten this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
porter.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Those Gator IV’s would look better without the brown, and replacing the gator script with the gator head below the wing like on the Mars IV’s.

Who are the top 4 programs all time?

Having this discussion with someone. Basically asking would you say Notre Dame is a top 4 all time program?

Who are the top 4 programs all time?

Having this discussion with someone. Basically asking would you say Notre Dame is a top 4 all time program?

Maybe. They've been pretty irrelevant since the 80s. You'd probably have to say all time: Alabama, USC, Ohio State, then take your pick between Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame and Oklahoma for the last spot. There's an argument to be made for Michigan just off the wins, but if we're talking titles and periods of dominance, then I'd say Notre Dame would be the 4th.

Maybe. They've been pretty irrelevant since the 80s. You'd probably have to say all time: Alabama, USC, Ohio State, then take your pick between Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame and Oklahoma for the last spot. There's an argument to be made for Michigan just off the wins, but if we're talking titles and periods of dominance, then I'd say Notre Dame would be the 4th.

90’s*

Lou had three top ten finishes in the 90’s.

The problem with these arguments is people arbitrarily decide when W’s matter and when they don’t, and think the power programs of today were always the power programs of yesterday.

I remember on another board I was having this discussion with a MSU fan and dude was clowning on W’s against Carslie and U of C without realizing both of those programs where powers during their times.

Focusing on the modern era is a much more worthwhile discussion.

Last edited:
Because the off-season is boring and there’s nothing else to talk about:

Saw another thread talking about USC cleaning up their penalties ... don't all teams need to ... so I decided to go back in time and see our PAC-12 rankings and see if it's true that we're a highly penalized team. The quick answer is yes, but I was expected our games overall to be very penalized affairs. i.e. If we're 12th in penalties (worst/most in conf), you'd expect us to be 1st in Opp. Penalties (they're penalized a lot too). That wasn't the case outside of Lane's '12 and '11 season having 'evenly' called games.
Data from PAC-12 site below:

YYYY | OUR RK | OPP RK
2017: 10th | 7th
2016 8th | 11th
2015: 11th | 12th (F you, zebras!)
2014: 10th | 7th
2013: 8th | 10th
2012: 7th | 4th
2011: 1st | 7th (Way to go, Lane!)
2010: 8th | 10th (PAC-10)

So basically, under Helton we're penalized a lot and our opponents are not. Actually, outside of Kiffin's '12/'11 season, the PAC-12 officials really didn't appear to care for us and gave our opponents the benefit of the doubt. Generalization of course with no deep fact to back it up other than Penalty rank for and against. To compare, here is UCLA and Stanford:

UCLA:
2017: 11th | 3rd (as expected, highly penalized games)
2016: 5th | 5th
2015: 12th | 11th (hot mess!)
2014: 9th | 11th
2013: 12th | 2nd
2012: 12th | 7th
2011: 4th | 10th
2010: 4th | 1st (10-teams)

Stanford:
2017: 3rd | 4th (Larry loves this)
2016: 4th | 7th
2015: 4th | 7th
2014: 2nd | 9th