OFFICIAL 2018 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who is going to win the Big Ten this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don’t think you’re objective about Jim Harbaugh and Michigan. You don’t talk about them the same way you do any other person or team in this thread.

That’s fine, you’re a fan. It’s just the truth. No need to parse that out any further.

I don’t think you’re objective about Jim Harbaugh and Michigan. You don’t talk about them the same way you do any other person or team in this thread.

That’s fine, you’re a fan. It’s just the truth. No need to parse that out any further.

I've gone back and forth with you on guys like Chip, Chris Petersen, and Mike Leach (shenanigans aside) too in this thread b :lol:.

I think the problem is that you cannot be objective on anyone who has given SC an L.

I really do not see how thinking that his NFL success should matter, and thinking that he's the second best coach in this conference is being a homer and not a reasonable take.

Last edited:
I've gone back and forth with you on guys like Chip and Mike Leach (shenanigans aside) too in this thread b :lol:.

I think the problem is that you cannot be objective on anyone who has given SC an L.

I really do not see how thinking that his NFL success should matter, and thinking that he's the second best coach in this conference is being a homer and not a reasonable take.

I’m just so confused on why you keep bringing up SC when the comment was about Jim? If you think anyone is that bias don’t even engage with them.

I’m just so confused on why you keep bringing up SC when the comment was about Jim? If you think anyone is that bias don’t even engage with them.

I think Nako is generally a good poster, I just think it's funny how he loses all objectivity when it comes to coaches who have beaten SC on the field.

Jim has not accomplished as much in college as any of the coaches ahead of him. For that matter, he’s accomplished less and shown worse coaching ability than a bunch of the coaches behind him. The criteria you’re judging Jim by is not the same criteria you’re judging every other coach on the list by. You’re not being objective.

I’m not going to talk to you about Helton because I’m not going to feed the troll. Your coach is a top 8 FBS coach because he won (zero championships) in FCS and the NFL. But FBS coaches who win against your coach, win their division, win their conference, and play in a playoff are somehow overrated. Ok. That’s your opinion.

I think Nako is generally a good poster, I just think it's funny how he loses all objectivity when it comes to coaches who have beaten SC on the field.

Not at all. But fine, I’ll play:

In my opinion Helton is at most, the 3rd best coach in the Pac12. At worst the 6th best. But he beats the teams he’s supposed to and he wins his division and conference when he’s supposed to. He’s also beaten every coach that was SUPPOSED to have his job.

If he’s not top 50 because he loses to Urban and Saban what are all those other coaches rated?

Jim has not accomplished as much in college as any of the coaches ahead of him. For that matter, he’s accomplished less and shown worse coaching ability than a bunch of the coaches behind him. The criteria you’re judging Jim by is not the same criteria you’re judging every other coach on the list by. You’re not being objective.

I’m not going to talk to you about Helton because I’m not going to feed the troll. Your coach is a top 8 FBS coach because he won (zero championships) in FCS and the NFL. But FBS coaches who win against your coach, win their division, win their conference, and play in a playoff are somehow overrated. Ok. That’s your opinion.

He won his division twice, made two NFCCG's and won one, made a SB, and his worse NFL season was 8-8 during a season which internally was a mess.

Stop trolling. You're better than this.

btw Michigan finished 3rd in S&P in 2016, so no PSU did not "look better". They just had the benefit of playing an easier schedule that year.

Last edited:
Not at all. But fine, I’ll play:

In my opinion Helton is at most, the 3rd best coach in the Pac12. At worst the 6th best. But he beats the teams he’s supposed to and he wins his division and conference when he’s supposed to. He’s also beaten every coach that was SUPPOSED to have his job.

If he’s not top 50 because he loses to Urban and Saban what are all those other coaches rated?

Like Wazzu last season or Utah in 2016? ND was not 35 points better than y'all either based on talent alone. The fact the UCLA game was as close as it was, was a joke as well.

He has not done what he's "supposed to".

Jim for sure hasn't done what he;s supposed to do, and if you can;t admit that, all objectivity has gone out the window.

and i LOVE Jim.

Jim for sure hasn't done what he;s supposed to do, and if you can;t admit that, all objectivity has gone out the window.

and i LOVE Jim.

They should have been better last year, I have never said in here that they shouldn't have. And they chocked against OSU and Iowa in 2016, but he overperformed with that 15 team, there is no arguing that.

Also outside of vaguely referencing him during a JDR joke or two, I've never brought up Helton unprompted in here outside of that last post about the rankings. Y'all are free to post receipts and prove me wrong tho. Wouldn't be the first time I've eaten crow in here, and probably won't be the last.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

Without looking at the list I’m assuming it’s Saban, Urban, and Dabo at 1,2,3?

Hate Dabo but depending on what he does this year you could almost put him at 2

Without looking at the list I’m assuming it’s Saban, Urban, and Dabo at 1,2,3?

Hate Dabo but depending on what he does this year you could almost put him at 2

Nah, Urb would still have one more NC, not to mention what he did at Utah and BGSU matters. The "Clempsoning" era of Dabo's tenure there should still count as well.

I'm fine with putting more of an emphasis on what a guy has done lately, but we should still evaluate these guys on their complete body of work.

Speaking of Dabo this year, I think how he handles the Lawrence-Bryant thing could be a pivotal moment in his career. If Kelly isn't any better as a passer, that puts a cap on what they can do, regardless of how good the D is. It'll be really interesting to see what they do if they find themselves in some trouble against either FSU or BC.

Last edited:
It seemed that people got sick of Bryant last year and didn’t think he was a good passer but I didn’t see too many of their games besides when they played Bama

It seemed that people got sick of Bryant last year and didn’t think he was a good passer but I didn’t see too many of their games besides when they played Bama

They're probably good enough with Bryant to run the table in the ACC. FSU probably has a punchers chance against them, but the game everyone seems to be circling is BC because of their OL, and D.

They are going to have to be able to throw the ball to win a NC tho. It's the only way they beat Bama, or an OSU if Haskins' is the guy we saw in the Michigan game.

and i LOVE Jim.
This im the biggest UM fan on the planet but Jim aint done ish yet. To be honest if he doesnt win a chip this year or atleast beat ohio hes gotta go.

Y'all wild flagrant talking about Harbaugh. Im a Michigan Man and Imreserving judgement until the end of NEXT season. Gotta give him time in the most loaded division in CFB. A couple notes for some wild comments:

-PSU was not better than UM in 2016. Stop it. If theyre healthy that game is closer, but umich was winning that game regardless. 2016 Umich and 2017 PSU were the third best teams in the country, respectively, those years
-Dantonio 2-1. Cmon fam, last year they won fair in square but 2015 is/was a fluke. Just be real mane.
- re: OSU, yeas this is the last year we can hold an L before its time to get seriously concerned. The last two years we had them right in the cut and let them slip out. Very frustrating.

From a recruiting, branding, toughness and overall coaching standpoint, there is not a better coach for Michigan. But we all knew he was going to need 5 years. I personally am extremely skeptical about patterson and the receivers creating chemistry in time to survive a season @ND, @MSU, @OSU, @NW, vs Senior McSorley, and playing Wisconsin. Too much to ask. I think 2019 is the playoff year for Michigan. Schematically, I could not ask for a better coach. Just need a QB; I believe in the development of the OL.

My only problem with highway Jimmy is the lack of emphasis on rivalry games. I literally think we lose to MSU because they play with more passion and pride in that game. I think OSU always has an extra chip on their shoulder in that game too. I think its time to really spew hate against those teams and get with their same level of passion. Michigan still sits on this pedestal and thinks they dont have to get up for their rivalry games. Just my opinion; GO BLUE!!

Big Michigan fan... I can't see them beating Buckeyes any time soon... Wisconsin is going to give them hell this year and Michigan St cannot play harder than when they line up against Michigan... 9-3 but his leash is as long as it gets... Warde wont fire him.

Big Michigan fan... I can't see them beating Buckeyes any time soon... Wisconsin is going to give them hell this year and Michigan St cannot play harder than when they line up against Michigan... 9-3 but his leash is as long as it gets... Warde wont fire him.

If there's ever a year to do it I think it'll be this year. Luckily we play at the end of the season so Haskins can get the kinks out by then but you guys will be battle tested by then as well

Back
Top Bottom