OFFICIAL 2018 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who is going to win the Big Ten this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
:lol:, he's just going out there for the free trip.

One of the first things Ed did when he got here was to try to work Michigan's way back into that recruitment to no avail.

This isn't just sour grapes because Drev is gone now. That was the word ever since Michigan started recruiting that kid.

Naw I know he just came for the trip (and to get SC’s foot in the door with his school/recruiting area.)

Former Washington State Quarterback Tyler Hilinski Had Stage 1 CTE

In a new Sports Illustrated story on former Washington State quarterback Tyler Hilinski, who committed suicide in January, it is revealed that the 21-year-old had chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

The diagnosis was Stage I, the lowest level. But still, Tyler had been just 21, he hadn’t played that much in college and for most of his life he manned the most protected of positions.

A doctor told Tyler’s family his brain looked “like that of a much older, elderly man.”

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/06/26/tyler-hilinski-suicide-washington-state-qb-cte

This is probably the best recruiting class from Mississippi in the last 10-15 years and Joe Moorhead is feasting

Was Hilinksi the guy that Leach kept in the game (when he was obviously concussed) to continue to get pummeled? Or was that Luke Falk? I can’t remember exactly who it is I just remember it was a gross display by Leach and the doctors to trot that kid back out there

This is probably the best recruiting class from Mississippi in the last 10-15 years and Joe Moorhead is feasting

Was Hilinksi the guy that Leach kept in the game (when he was obviously concussed) to continue to get pummeled? Or was that Luke Falk? I can’t remember exactly who it is I just remember it was a gross display by Leach and the doctors to trot that kid back out there

I think that was Falk.

EDIT

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/artic...ollege-footballs-ongoing-concussion-conundrum

Last edited:
What will end up being the likely death of tackle football (and possibly other sports) is when this CTE testing on living people finally gets through - and it will eventually. It's going to likely be armageddon.

Not surprised that kids are already getting early stages of CTE from only youth and HS football.

I'm not surprised at the existence of it, but he still seems like an outlier at this point. Including Tyler, that makes just 3 guys this young who have been shown to have it after death.

I know they've tested older guys who played HS ball in 40's, 50's and 60's, who didn't show any outward signs of the disease for men their age. Not sure if any of those guys have gotten the post-mortem test done yet.

Not going to lie tho, as someone who played from 5th grade to HS, and has had depression and anxiety issues, this makes me think twice a bit.

What will end up being the likely death of tackle football (and possibly other sports) is when this CTE testing on living people finally gets through - and it will eventually. It's going to likely be armageddon.

Your still going to have guys that play even if it's shown they have the disease because of the money. You see it in boxing all the time of guys who are clearly deteriorating mentally, but have to be basically dragged out of the ring either by the commissions or (less likely) their promoters.

It seemed like the majority of cases so far see the major symptoms much later in life. I don't want to make light of it because it's a serious deal and something many may be effected by, including myself, but until we learn more, it's why I'm already getting annoyed with every former NFL/football player who turns out to be a criminal are now given the crutch of having CTE as a reason for their actions. I call bs on that. Im also not saying it didn't play a part either, but again, many many former athletes have now apparently lived with this and can either live happy lives post-football or struggle with it, but without killing themselves or harming others.

I'm extremely curious to see where this all goes, both medical and the impact it will have on football at the different levels.

2019 APB Wandale Robison said after his visit this weekend that the staff showed him some film with the offense being more spread out, and using RPO’s with Shea and Joe Milton.

They want him to be RB/slot type.

It's not a bad list.

Personally I'd have Snyder, Chip, Gus, Kenny N, Joe Moglia, Joe Moorhead (he's been a succesufl HC before at the college level) and Jim higher, and probably bump down Chryst, Kirk, Fitzgerald, and Helton (no troll, I do not think he's a top 50 HC.)

He's not the third best coach in this confrence. They're factoring last year too much while not factoring Dantonio's 3-9, and the fact Jim is 2-1 against Franklin, and washed his best team. Franklin post-Moorehead is a bit of a question mark as well. Joe saved his job.

He's not the third best coach in this confrence. They're factoring last year too much while not factoring Dantonio's 3-9, and the fact Jim is 2-1 against Franklin, and washed his best team. Franklin post-Moorehead is a bit of a question mark as well. Joe saved his job.

4th best*.

Dantonio and Franklin at this point have both beaten Harbaugh and accomplished more as college coaches than him. No? Jim might be 2-1 vs Franklin but Franklin won the conference and over the course of that year his team looked better. Last year too. Dantonio has owned Harbaugh and his team has won a conference and a NY6 in the same span as Harbaugh at UM. Overall career wise Dantonio >>> Harbaugh this far too. I don’t really see how you can argue Jim who hasn’t accomplished anything yet should be higher than the 9th ranked coach in the country, without doing so as a full on homer.

To be honest, if anything he should be lower. This isn’t the coaching potential ranking.

4th best*.

Dantonio and Franklin at this point have both beaten Harbaugh and accomplished more as college coaches than him. No? Jim might be 2-1 vs Franklin but Franklin won the conference and over the course of that year his team looked better. Last year too. Dantonio has owned Harbaugh and his team has won a conference and a NY6 in the same span as Harbaugh at UM. Overall career wise Dantonio >>> Harbaugh this far too. I don’t really see how you can argue Jim who hasn’t accomplished anything yet should be higher than the 9th ranked coach in the country, without doing so as a full on homer.

To be honest, if anything he should be lower. This isn’t the coaching potential ranking.

So we're just going to forget what Jim did at USD, Stanford, and in the NFL? This isn't just a ranking of what guys have done are their current jobs. MD is 2-1 against Jim, and one of those wins was a fluke. "owned" is extremely hyperbolic.

No disagreement on Clay not even being top 50?

(In b4 you bring up winning the Wac 12, and the irrelevant RB and pretend like the two jobs are even comparable :lol:)

So we're just going to forget what Jim did at USD, Stanford, and in the NFL? This isn't just a ranking of what guys have done are their current jobs. MD is 2-1 against Jim, and one of those wins was a fluke. "owned" is extremely hyperbolic.

No disagreement on Clay not even being top 50?

(In b4 you bring up winning the Wac 12, and the irrelevant RB and pretend like the two jobs are even comparable :lol:)

What exactly did Jim do at USD and Stanford that makes him a top 8 current coach? And no I’m not factoring in what he did in the NFL. It’s a different league and game and there are plenty of coaches who had success in the NFL and are trash college coaches and vice versa.

I’m not discussing Helton with you. You said you weren’t trolling, so that’s your opinion.

What exactly did Jim do at USD and Stanford that makes him a top 8 current coach? And no I’m not factoring in what he did in the NFL. It’s a different league and game and there are plenty of coaches who had success in the NFL and are trash college coaches and vice versa.

I’m not discussing Helton with you. You said you weren’t trolling, so that’s your opinion.

It's not a different game, football is still football, and you ask most guys who have done both they would tell that the NFL is objectively a MUCH harder level to coach at.

Outside of Walsh who was old and washed, there has never been a coach with the level of success that Jim had who decided to return to the college ranks. There is zero use in comparing him to dudes like Mora, Lovie, and Bill Callahan. The majority of dudes who left the league for the college ranks did so because they couldn't get another NFL job, Jim is the exception.

I'm not trolling it's what I really think IRT Helton. I just find it interesting you "took the bait" on Jim in particular. You are awfully fascinated with a coach who is not even in your conference anymore, and doesn't coach one of your rivals.

Back
Top Bottom