Official 2018 Boxing Thread: 12/30 - Ito vs. Chuprakov, Shiro vs. Juarez ESPN+

Who will be the winner of Canelo vs. GGG II?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Smh, why such a huge discrepancy in price between uk and us?

I’m not $75 hype for Wilder Fury

I've never really heard a good explanation for it.

Sky and I think BT do charge double of what HBO and SHO do in subscription fees a month, but like the US, you don't need cable anymore to buy PPV's in the UK.

I don't know how the PBC is expecting people to shell out up to $300 next year if they are serious about doing 4 PPV's.

Sky Sports PPV never goes above 19.99 GBP. Its why they say for the mega fights the biggest revenue would be generated in the U.S is the high priced ppvs that could be sold

I've never really heard a good explanation for it.

Sky and I think BT do charge double of what HBO and SHO do in subscription fees a month, but like the US, you don't need cable anymore to buy PPV's in the UK.

I don't know how the PBC is expecting people to shell out up to $300 next year if they are serious about doing 4 PPV's.

I thought one of the goals for PBC was to get rid of the ppv event model :smh:, I'd rather they just go the ESPN+/dazn route.

But I guess I'll be watching regardless anyway

Paulie with the great analysis, do u guys agree that the future of boxing go as far as the HW division goes?

^
Honestly, No.
The sport has new faces and characters in the mix.
The days of the big Heavyweights drawing all the attention are gone. We still have some exciting Heavyweights, but no......the future of the sport won't be determined by them.
Welterweights, Middleweights, Cruiserweights, Lightweights, Super Middleweights and Junior Lightweights all have exciting fighters with personas (albeit not the most exciting or thrilling) that have they're own brands and market exposure.

^
Honestly, No.
The sport has new faces and characters in the mix.
The days of the big Heavyweights drawing all the attention are gone. We still have some exciting Heavyweights, but no......the future of the sport won't be determined by them.
Welterweights, Middleweights, Cruiserweights, Lightweights, Super Middleweights and Junior Lightweights all have exciting fighters with personas (albeit not the most exciting or thrilling) that have they're own brands and market exposure.

Yea, I agree.

Wilder is anomaly in the sense that he's really the only one of these football/basketball washouts to workout besides maybe Bryant Jennings, and those kind of guys seem to be the bulk of the American HW division nowadays. With football, basketball, baseball, and now MMA, the talent is never going to be there for a true resurgence of the HW division in America.

Even if Wilder does become the unified champ and beats AJ and Fury, the future of the HW division is still going to probably be dominated by British and Eastern Euro fighters.

Yeah, of all the crossover heavies, Wilder seems to be the anomaly. Athleticism, huge power, and has a knack for finding that chin. Ortiz fight showed he was tougher than alot of folks thought too.

Seems like the best US fighters will continue to be the smaller fighters who have no chance of playing in the NFL or NBA

Dominic Breazeale was a NCAA Football player washout to Boxing as well. Big Baby Miller whos the other most relevant American HW besides Wilder was a kickboxer. Then for the old guys there's a trio of 46 yr olds in Shannon Briggs, Amir Mansour, and Michael Grant. Then a trio of potentials are Michael Hunter, Adam Kownacki and Trey Lippe Morrison. Michael Hunter is a CW that moved up to HW, only L in career so far is to Usyk who he fought pretty well in the 1st half of the fight. Kownacki and Morrison still need to fight higher caliber HWs. Even with the NFL and NBA, is it that hard to find american boys that will grow to at least 6 ft tall and 200 lbs to box like in the UK and Eastern Europe?

Since Erislandy Savon isn't looking like he will defect from Cuba that takes away a potential top HW like plenty other Cuban HWs we missed in the past. I wonder when any of the Asian and Latin countries will produce a top HW, theres plenty of asian and latin boxers that have been good in the lower weight classethe Brits but just not HW or the higher weight classes it seems which is just the Americans, Brits, Eastern Euros since Cubans won't defect.

Wilder is anomaly in the sense that he's really the only one of these football/basketball washouts to workout besides maybe Bryant Jennings, and those kind of guys seem to be the bulk of the American HW division nowadays. With football, basketball, baseball, and now MMA, the talent is never going to be there for a true resurgence of the HW division in America.

Dominic Breazeale was a NCAA Football player washout to Boxing as well. Big Baby Miller whos the other most relevant American HW besides Wilder was a kickboxer. Then for the old guys there's a trio of 46 yr olds in Shannon Briggs, Amir Mansour, and Michael Grant. Then a trio of potentials are Michael Hunter, Adam Kownacki and Trey Lippe Morrison. Michael Hunter is a CW that moved up to HW, only L in career so far is to Usyk who he fought pretty well in the 1st half of the fight. Kownacki and Morrison still need to fight higher caliber HWs. Even with the NFL and NBA, is it that hard to find american boys that will grow to at least 6 ft tall and 200 lbs to box like in the UK and Eastern Europe?

Since Erislandy Savon isn't looking like he will defect from Cuba that takes away a potential top HW like plenty other Cuban HWs we missed in the past. I wonder when any of the Asian and Latin countries will produce a top HW, theres plenty of asian and latin boxers that have been good in the lower weight classethe Brits but just not HW or the higher weight classes it seems which is just the Americans, Brits, Eastern Euros since Cubans won't defect.

I don’t think it’s a fluke that the majority of the best heavyweights aren’t from the US. And the US heavyweights we get tend to be fat sloppy dudes. The true athletes at that size are going elsewhere. If the NFL shut down today the heavyweight division would be crazy

Even with the NFL and NBA, is it that hard to find american boys that will grow to at least 6 ft tall and 200 lbs to box like in the UK and Eastern Europe?

Yea

And even with a guy like Wilder, if the birth of his daughter doesn't happen, he still enrolls into that JUCO and probably plays D1 football and never boxes. 9/10 if your that size and athletic you are probably going to get pushed into football, basketball, or baseball if you grow up in the US. Even a dude like Chris Arreola had JC basketball offers coming out of HS.

MMA is a little bit different because a lot of colleges and HS's (especially in the Midwest) still have wrestling programs and that sport is a feeder system for MMA. That doesn't exist for boxing.

Trey Lippe Morrison is a football washout too, played three years at Central Arkansas.

Back
Top Bottom