Official 2018 Boxing Thread: 12/30 - Ito vs. Chuprakov, Shiro vs. Juarez ESPN+

Who will be the winner of Canelo vs. GGG II?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
200px-MGarcia1.jpg

Why did Mikey choose Spence over Lomachenko?

The Mikey bout is confirmed and set for March 16th in Jerry’s World of the Dallas Cowboys Stadium. Yet this isn’t the fight the fans were clamoring for. Is it a good fight? Sure, and I’m confident it will sell. Yet why do I feel like we’re witnessing a potential lengendary bout being derailed at the expense of stubbornness in part of the fighter and greed in part of the promotions?

wmp2pfzmk5fnforj2p5mpn6mgi6545503285463332859.jpg

Mikey is a terrific fighter and the whole “dare to be great” attitude is something to praise, but it should be explored only if there is no real great competition is viable within the division already. All I’m saying is Mikey, knows that Lomachenko bout is the most desired fight that could be made at 135lbs; yet he is convinced that his former Promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank would be unwilling to make the fight. With all due respect to Mikey, I call ********.

lomachenko-660x4008277844990875332517.jpg

Lomachenko is a terrific fighter in his own right as well and I would like to further explain why I don’t believe Mikey’s reasoning on the matter. First it is important to look at how Bob Arum promotes Lomachenko. Lomachenko came on to the pros facing a champ in only his second bout, typically fighters are fed a calculated slow introduction in the pros. This was clearly not the case with Lomachenko. Many will point to his extensive amateur pedigree and his two Olympic gold medals, but the fact remains he faced a champion in his 2nd bout! Usually fighters don’t contend for a world title until their 15th to 20th bout. So I ask myself, why would Arum look to protect Loma from Mikey if it is obvious that Top Rank has opted for an accelerated path for him? Again with all due respect to Mikey, I call ********.

The other argument is one of spite. Meaning since Mikey and Top Rank’s relationship ended with a court settlement; Mikey believes that Bob is vindictive enough not to do business with, despite the big business that a Mikey vs Lomachenko would do. Consider this the biggest PPVs that have ever been made were all made via cross promotions; meaning even so called “enemy” promotions put their hatred aside to pursue lucrative paydays, every single top PPV!

In my personal opinion, I believe it is Mikey that is acting out of spite and not Top Rank. Top Rank has done things in the past that may have had its share of controversy, but I’ve never seen them act in a way that would take away from making the company large sums of money.

https://dailyboxing365.com/why-did-mikey-choose-spence-over-lomachenko/

We've been talking about this for awhile now but it's obvious Mikey wants no parts of Loma.
He had a chance to make the fight with Linares and wanted no parts of that man either.
Not taking anything away from Mikey but the Garcia's know how to pick the right opponents.

I think Eventually we'll see Mikey and Loma duel it out at 140, but not till the Garcia's see some chinks in the armor or force Loma to move up in weight to offset his speed.

We've been talking about this for awhile now but it's obvious Mikey wants no parts of Loma.
He had a chance to make the fight with Linares and wanted no parts of that man either.
Not taking anything away from Mikey but the Garcia's know how to pick the right opponents.

I think Eventually we'll see Mikey and Loma duel it out at 140, but not till the Garcia's see some chinks in the armor or force Loma to move up in weight to offset his speed.

That's an interesting plan and all, but I don't know if Mikey walks out of that Spence fight the same

Robert and his Dad never wanted this fight, they wanted Pac. This fight is all of Mikey's doing.

Mikey is cashing out, the only reason he took this fight is because he sees it as the quickest route in doing so.

Mikey's mentioned before that if it wasn't for his family he wouldn't be boxing, and that he really only does it because of the money and because he's good at it. Loma would be legacy defining fight, but I really don't think he cares about that stuff.

Last edited:
Mikey is cashing out, the only reason he took this fight is because he sees as the quickest route in doing so.

That's the thing, if Mikey wanted to cash out the Loma would fight would be a bigger a draw.
Mikey's pride/hate for Bob won't allow him to make that move, he'd rather move up 2 weight classes and get his block knocked off by Spence than to add to the resume of Bob's golden goose (debatable who Bob prioritizes more Loma or Bud).

Regardless of how bad he gets beaten in this fight the door will still be open for another payday with Loma, but it wouldn't work out if he tried it the other way around....gets beaten by Loma and tries to move up to fight Spence.
I said this earlier but Mikey's best outcome would be a similar fight to Bud vs Benavidez. He bangs with Spence and hangs on for dear life and afterwards he admits he bit off more than he can chew, he comes back down in weight and forces Loma to come up in weight and he rides off into the sunset after another loss.

I can't stand Mikey, looking forward to watching him get mopped up.

That's the thing, if Mikey wanted to cash out the Loma would fight would be a bigger a draw.
Mikey's pride/hate for Bob won't allow him to make that move, he'd rather move up 2 weight classes and get his block knocked off by Spence than to add to the resume of Bob's golden goose (debatable who Bob prioritizes more Loma or Bud).

Regardless of how bad he gets beaten in this fight the door will still be open for another payday with Loma, but it wouldn't work out if he tried it the other way around....gets beaten by Loma and tries to move up to fight Spence.
I said this earlier but Mikey's best outcome would be a similar fight to Bud vs Benavidez. He bangs with Spence and hangs on for dear life and afterwards he admits he bit off more than he can chew, he comes back down in weight and forces Loma to come up in weight and he rides off into the sunset after another loss.

I can't stand Mikey, looking forward to watching him get mopped up.
Micky is big time to boxing fans but not to the general public. This is just good ole boxing name building happening again. He can get paid now or a LOT more in a year or so. That Canelo contract changes the game. People want that NOT a single fight money grab

Robert and his Dad never wanted this fight, they wanted Pac. This fight is all of Mikey's doing.

Mikey is cashing out, the only reason he took this fight is because he sees as the quickest route in doing so.

Mikey's mentored before that if it wasn't for his family he wouldn't be boxing, and that he really only does it because of the money and because he's good at it. Loma would be legacy defining fight, but I really don't think he cares about that stuff.

For Mikey to never want to fight in the first place he’s pretty good. I noticed in a few interviews he’s about his outside businesses more than boxing. Makes sense now.

Mikey wrote in his Player's Tribune article before that he's always seen Boxing as just a job, he doesn't love boxing and see it as his life and all he knows like a lot of other boxers especially old school ones. I think unlike most boxers he even graduated from college before really focusing on pro boxing career or something. Said he felt nothing in winning his first belt, titles and legacy etc. mean nothing to him.

Mikey wrote in his Player's Tribune article before that he's always seen Boxing as just a job, he doesn't love boxing and see it as his life and all he knows like a lot of other boxers especially old school ones. I think unlike most boxers he even graduated from college before really focusing on pro boxing career or something. Said he felt nothing in winning his first belt, titles and legacy etc. mean nothing to him.

The honesty is refreshing tbh, and I don't hold anything against him for it.

But I just hope him and Robert don't get mad when them PPV's aren't what they probably should be. You can't ask people to care more about your career than you do.

Saw Creed II last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Just like the first one, I like that they sprinkle in real life commentators, trainers/cutman, Michael Buffer for authenticity.

Thus far all 3 of MBJ's opponents in the ring are real life pro boxers, Tony Bellew/Andre Ward/Florian Munteanu so I wonder if they will continue the trend for the next 3 movies in the franchise. I say cast Shannon Briggs next as the modern Clubber Lang type character

Saw Creed II last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Just like the first one, I like that they sprinkle in real life commentators, trainers/cutman, Michael Buffer for authenticity.

Last edited:
Wild performance from Pascal tonight. Bivol never had him hurt like Kovalev did, but Pascal still got dominated in a different manner, boxing clinic. You could argue Pascal only won one round, the 8th. He came out with bad intentions to open the 8th round. Landed a flush straight right followed by a left hook that Bivol partially blocked. Straight right was Pascal's best punch of the night, thought he might have emptied his tank in R8. He came out with similar energy in the 10th. Did experience some success when he worked Bivol's body. Bivol would slow his pace and clinch more.

Bivol won 11-1 but it's starting to seem he doesn't have the power of the other russians like Beterbiev and Kovalev

Bivol's approach is methodical and if the stoppage comes, then so be it. He does not like to gamble. I noticed this when he fought Agnew and Barrera.

Back
Top Bottom