Official 2018 Boxing Thread: 12/30 - Ito vs. Chuprakov, Shiro vs. Juarez ESPN+

Who will be the winner of Canelo vs. GGG II?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Son are you Borat? He was the B side for a reason, he was a hyped up paper champion who only had one competitive matchup before Canelo. He got his *** whooped by Jacobs and I doubt you cried when GGG robbed him.

1zbhhq.jpg

And Canelo ran from GGG for YEARS fighting weight-cutting dudes at Caneloweight until he figured he could finally get GGG at an age that would be beneficial to him. And he STILL needed bad scoring -TWICE - to finally get him some straps.

I wasn't actively scoring the fight but I felt like 115-113 either way was acceptable. Canelo was the aggressor in those swing rounds that GGG was mostly jabbing, and GGG won his rounds more dominantly.

I'm disappointed in GGG not going to the body again, but not shocked. The majority of these ex-USSR guys love to rely on the jab when they feel some adversity, and none of these guys ever seem natural going to the body, GGG included.

I don't know, man - I've seen GGG KO guys in the last couple years with liver shots. I think he knew that going to the body would open him up to scoring (not dangerous, necessarily, but effective scoring) combinations, so he focused on pumping the jab. From like round 5 or 6 on, GGG fought this fight in a way that should have taken the decision out of the judges hands and nearly matted Canelo in 10, but the judges bit him in the 12th when they saw that they were staring down the barrel of another draw, and one which would pay out at 17-1, at that.

**** all the BS, get the strap. Can’t let this doper see the scorecards I see.

Get him in the ring with Errol Spence and I guarantee it won’t go that long.

Throwing jabs backing up first 7 rounds. Y’all cNt be serious lol

When is the last time u heard a jab that landed with a thud in a non heavywekght match? Also when is the last time a jab caused a cut in a title fight?

The 1-2 had canelo in a daze in the championship rounds, but i guess to you jabs dont mean anything lol
Son are you Borat? He was the B side for a reason, he was a hyped up paper champion who only had one competitive matchup before Canelo. He got his *** whooped by Jacobs and I doubt you cried when GGG robbed him.

Hyped up paper champ that walked through the entire division while being ducked?

This only canelos 2nd fight at mw that was a non catchweight.

I get your emotional but you cant deny ggg credentials. These 2 are the only notable mw's in the division.

Ggg has walked through it, canelo hasnt.

I guess no one is gonna talk aboug how canelo is a free agent after this fight. Both judges for canelo gave him the 12th round. I still have not heard one person say canelo took the 12th not 1

Pretty sure hbo secured the bag lol.

I don't know, man - I've seen GGG KO guys in the last couple years with liver shots. I think he knew that going to the body would open him up to scoring (not dangerous, necessarily, but effective scoring) combinations, so he focused on pumping the jab. From like round 5 or 6 on, GGG fought this fight in a way that should have taken the decision out of the judges hands and nearly matted Canelo in 10, but the judges bit him in the 12th when they saw that they were staring down the barrel of another draw, and one which would pay out at 17-1, at that.

He's good at it, but it's not something that is natural like it was with JCC who he is most often compared to due to the Soviet system he was brought up in. Even when JCC was washed he still prioritized the body.

I agree with your assessment of why he didn't, but I still feel like the stoppage would have been there later in the fight had he wore down Canelo from the beginning. Even if Canelo wasn't moving as much this fight, he still relies a lot on upper body movement as his defense, and those shots would have been a lot harder to dodge had he been punished to the body consistently from round 1.

Is Canelo #1 pound 4 pound fighter in the world now?

No not even top 2. This man has beaten one person in the division at a non catch weight.

He shouldve stayed in welterweight honestly. Wouldve had a chance to prove it in a loaded division

No not even top 2. This man has beaten one person in the division at a non catch weight.

He shouldve stayed in welterweight honestly. Wouldve had a chance to prove it in a loaded division
Think you mean super welterweight? He struggled to make 154 and there are killers there now.

Canelo jacobs is not a challenge for canelo.

Jacobs is a ra ra guy, he wants a moral victory not an actual victory. No way he takes the same risks with canelo that he did with ggg.

People have such a short memory

He's good at it, but it's not something that is natural like it was with JCC who he is most often compared to due to the Soviet system he was brought up in. Even when JCC was washed he still prioritized the body.

I agree with your assessment of why he didn't, but I still feel like the stoppage would have been there later in the fight had he wore down Canelo from the beginning. Even if Canelo wasn't moving as much this fight, he still relies a lot on upper body movement as his defense, and those shots would have been a lot harder to dodge had he been punished to the body consistently from round 1.

Yeah, I think the body shots early *could* have set up more shots in the later rounds, but with Canelo the aggressor in 1-4, and still really fresh, he would have also opened himself up to the left hook -- Canelo's bread & butter -- at full force. Better to just pop pop pop pop pop the left then try to body a guy moving in on you, especially if you weren't expecting that strategy out of him.

Canelo jacobs is not a challenge for canelo.

Jacobs is a ra ra guy, he wants a moral victory not an actual victory. No way he takes the same risks with canelo that he did with ggg.

People have such a short memory

Styles make fights, Jacobs can outbox Canelo. ****, Lara and Trout did and neither of them have the power or size Jacobs does.

Think you mean super welterweight? He struggled to make 154 and there are killers there now.

With carne asade anything is possible and no i meant welterweight.

For a guy who is the A side he has alot of fights against end of career guys and ay catchweights.

These 2 fights were his biggest resume builders.

I wouldn't mind seeing a third fight, but hope they both take a interim fight in between before going back to it.

How things shake out network wise could decide a lot of things as well. GB already has a relationship with ESPN, and this fight and Canelo's future fights would be a lot bigger with the ESPN machine behind it.

If GGG/K2 is smart they just do one offs for now on. At age 36 there's no reason to sign any kind of long term deal, and he's a big enough name at this point to do it.

Styles make fights, Jacobs can outbox Canelo. ****, Lara and Trout did and neither of them have the power or size Jacobs does.

Yea and what happened to both those guys they got counter punched and he gotem outta there.

Danny aint near as disciplined as trout and where is lara now.?
Jacobs will not outbox canelo, bet the house on it

With carne asade anything is possible and no i meant welterweight.

For a guy who is the A side he has alot of fights against end of career guys and ay catchweights.

These 2 fights were his biggest resume builders.
Canelo hasn't fought at Welterweight since 2010. His body naturally grew out of the weight class.

Canelo hasn't fought at Welterweight since 2010. His body naturally grew out of the weight class.
All im saying is he has yest to fight another big name fighter in his wieght class not at a catchweight.
His body may have grown however he was fighting other guys for the title at a catchweight.

You cant look at canelos resume and be impressed. This fight tonight changes that tho

Back
Top Bottom