Official 2017 Knicks Offseason thread, Phil Jackson gone

Melo will never defer to KP. 95% of the distraction was Phil's fault.

Next years draft is very top 5-7 heavy. With Melo we'll lose out. Again. You keep him, you dont make playoffs, even if you do you'll lose in 1st round, AND you get a worse pick.

There's literally no reason to keep him. The negatives outweigh the positives by alot.

You seem to be a Porzingis fan, remember KP wants to keep Melo and he is a mentor to him. Phil already got rid of his trainer now u wanna get rid of Melo too and risk pissing off Porzingis our only hope? And yes I do believe Melo will defer more to Porzingis why wouldn't he? He finally has some help to carry offensive load.

We've never attracted a top free agent. Before or during the Phil era. I don't see what will change now.

You guys need to realize that everytime we've went the FA route we lost.
Amare Stoudemire...Melo was coming via free agency too if we hadn't traded for him...and that Amare signing played a role in luring Melo here

I'm a knick fan and while currently KP is my favorite Knick, he has ALOT of work to do. I also didn't like some of his tendencies that he's picked up from Melo in terms of some of the bad shots he took or holding on to the ball for too long.

I agree though, Melo has helped KP tremendously. Especially off the court. Because if KP plays like the trash ways he's played some nights the NY media would eat him once the losses piled up.

The expectations are way too high here in NY. Which is why most fail.

I'm a knick fan and while currently KP is my favorite Knick, he has ALOT of work to do. I also didn't like some of his tendencies that he's picked up from Melo in terms of some of the bad shots he took or holding on to the ball for too long.

I agree though, Melo has helped KP tremendously. Especially off the court. Because if KP plays like the trash ways he's played some nights the NY media would eat him once the losses piled up.

The expectations are way too high here in NY. Which is why most fail.

KP has a very very high ceiling. Keeping Melo around will only help get him to his prime quicker and provide some sense of mentor stability instead of having total chaos and dysfunction around KP. That goes a LONG way for a young player especially like you mentioned in a demanding city like NY. So for now I say lets keep Melo.

Keep Melo
- stuck in mediocracy, with a first round playoff exit at best
- draft in the 12-15 range
- trade talk and distractions all season long
- more jab step, jab step, pump fake, massage ball, jab steps

Lose Melo
-proper rebuild like GS, Sixers, and Thunder did it
-draft in the 3-10 range
-gives more time for the young guys to play/grow together
-no distractions throughout the year (can focus on basketball instead of BS media stuff)
/thread

End of discussion

So most of us agree keeping Melo would be best at least for now? I mean later down the road who knows what other offers we might get. But for now lets not give him up for a bag of chips and a stick of gum please..

Let's give a year with Melo WITHOUT Phil. The east should be wide open and we could possibly take out Cleveland if Kyrie goes west. Not tryna sound crazy, but if Frank can average like 12 3 and 6, we can make the playoffs. I'd rather see a damn playoff game than bank on 2018 draft pick being Michael Jordan.

Let's give a year with Melo WITHOUT Phil. The east should be wide open and we could possibly take out Cleveland if Kyrie goes west. Not tryna sound crazy, but if Frank can average like 12 3 and 6, we can make the playoffs. I'd rather see a damn playoff game than bank on 2018 draft pick being Michael Jordan.
Oh please lets not indulge in that false hope

We had plenty seasons of Melo without Phil and that didn't amount to much.

Oh please lets not indulge in that false hope

We had plenty seasons of Melo without Phil and that didn't amount to much.

Yes but the east wasn't as weak as now and we didn't have KP, plus when phil came we had to put up with the damn triangle..I swear Phil pushed that f**king triangle so much you would think dude is Iluminati.. lets see what this squad can do now, we're not getting anything good for melo anyway

I don't expect much.

To me the east has always sucked minus one or two teams for a long time now. Knicks still find a way to lose. Triangle or no triangle.

Too many excuses. I'll wait for the roster to be filled out but this squad is buns. I don't expect much other than some Melo and KP highlights, then some THJR 3s.

Last edited:
So now we need the east to suck to make the playoffs?

I swear y'all just love staying in mediocracy. Sometimes you have to take a step back to go 2 steps forward. It's not that hard to grasp.

We draft a million times better than most teams. We just never suck enough for a higher pick. But in terms of our draft history for our position we're actually pretty good.

Last edited:
What does getting the 8 seed do for us besides playing 86 games instead of 82?

The chance that Michael Porter or Luka Doncic become a star >>> a low playoff seed

I, in no way shape or form want to see the playoffs this season even if we had the chance

In a perfect world I'd also want to keep Melo

I think we can be garbage with or without Melo

I don't think you guys understand that we will never willingly ******* tank.
Our shot was this season. We were god awful it got us the number 8 pick.
Coulda easily been top ******* 3 if we committed to losing ball games .

Back
Top Bottom